• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Lidl hiking equipment

The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.
Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-
The best price I found for rucksacks was decathlon. Adjustable/airvented back etc have done a few practice walks and it's been ace so far.
In low cost/fair quality sports items Decathlon rules in Europe. ;)
I would not recommend Lidl poles, because the blocking mechanisms are really cheap and fragile. I bought them as an emergency, years ago, and never used again. Avoid rucksacks too.
On the contrary, I found the Lidl trekking clothes quite nice and of good price/performance ratio.
Anyway, in Italy we have this proverb: "Chi più spende, meno spende". The English equivalent could be "You buy cheap, you buy twice".

I bought a thermal long sleeve shirt. Keeps me nice and warm in very cold weather. I don't know about their other outdoor stuff.

3rd Edition. More content, training & pack guides avoid common mistakes, bed bugs etc
I have seen quite a lot of different backpacks at Lidl throughout the years. To put it plainly, most of those I have seen, were utterly unsuited for a Camino. I may have seen one or two that I'd have considered - if they'd fit my back. But, it has admittedly been quite a while since I've last been to a Lidl, so I'm not exactly current what they have nowadays.

But, it's easy to test: fill the pack with about seven kilogram of random merchandise, and walk their aisles for an hour or two. Then imagine how you'd feel after five ;)

I found the Lidl trekking clothes quite nice and of good price/performance ratio
I have two pairs of light zip-off pants that I bought for next to nothing at Lidl years ago, and they're still my preferred pants for rambling.

Has anyone bought items from the Lidl outdoors range like rucksack or walking poles.
I have bought hiking poles, water bottles, hiking socks and base layers. Cant fault them. Leaving in two weeks for another Camino and my socks are from Lidl again. The tips off my poles eventually wore down so have replaced them with another Lidl pair. Only problem is they are slightly longer than my original pair so, even broken down, they stick a couple of inches out of my back pack. I have even bought hiking boots which lasted three years before the tread wore down so recently replaced with their hiking shoes. Very comfortable although I dont plan to use them on the camino, sticking to Scarpa boots. So yes, there gear is good and reasonably priced. Not sure about the back packs though. Either too small or too big. Bought a cheap backpack for my first camino. All I can say is, dont go cheap on the back pack, you will regret it. Decathlon do some good ones although I have retired my one as it got a bit ragged and dirty. Going with Lowe Alpine this time

Last edited:
One evening, we were in a table of a communal dinner. We talked about backpacks.

One member described that we had gone to two stores for his backpack. One spent 15 minutes to sell me a backpack. The other (MEC) spent close to three hours helping him adjusting the backpack so that it fitted his body, balancing the weight, etc.

Just a thought

Join our full-service guided tour and let us convert you into a Pampered Pilgrim!
I have bought hiking poles, water bottles, hiking socks and base layers. Cant fault them. Leaving in two weeks for another Camino and my socks are from Lidl again. The tips off my poles eventually wore down so have replaced them with another Lidl pair. Only problem is they are slightly longer than my original pair so, even broken down, they stick a couple of inches out of my back pack. I have even bought hiking boots which lasted three years before the tread wore down so recently replaced with their hiking shoes. Very comfortable although I dont plan to use them on the camino, sticking to Scarpa boots. So yes, there gear is good and reasonably priced. Not sure about the back packs though. Either too small or too big. Bought a cheap backpack for my first camino. All I can say is, dont go cheap on the back pack, you will regret it. Decathlon do some good ones although I have retired my one as it got a bit ragged and dirty. Going with Lowe Alpine this time
Thanks for the feedback much appreciated

In low cost/fair quality sports items Decathlon rules in Europe. ;)
I would not recommend Lidl poles, because the blocking mechanisms are really cheap and fragile. I bought them as an emergency, years ago, and never used again. Avoid rucksacks too.
On the contrary, I found the Lidl trekking clothes quite nice and of good price/performance ratio.
Anyway, in Italy we have this proverb: "Chi più spende, meno spende". The English equivalent could be "You buy cheap, you buy twice".
Thanks for the advice

One evening, we were in a table of a communal dinner. We talked about backpacks.

One member described that we had gone to two stores for his backpack. One spent 15 minutes to sell me a backpack. The other (MEC) spent close to three hours helping him adjusting the backpack so that it fitted his body, balancing the weight, etc.

Just a thought
Thanks for the reply.

Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
I have seen quite a lot of different backpacks at Lidl throughout the years. To put it plainly, most of those I have seen, were utterly unsuited for a Camino. I may have seen one or two that I'd have considered - if they'd fit my back. But, it has admittedly been quite a while since I've last been to a Lidl, so I'm not exactly current what they have nowadays.

But, it's easy to test: fill the pack with about seven kilogram of random merchandise, and walk their aisles for an hour or two. Then imagine how you'd feel after five ;)

I have two pairs of light zip-off pants that I bought for next to nothing at Lidl years ago, and they're still my preferred pants for rambling.
fill the rucksack and walk the isles closely followed by security. Thanks for your reply

I bought hiking/trekking socks from Liddle, walked 2 Caminos in them, will walk the 3rd. Backpack: the one that I had from Liddle I filled in with 7 kg weight and had a couple of trial walks (20-30km) before my first Camino. It wasn't very comfortable, and I sweat in it. Tried more professional backpacks in another store and only in comparison I finally got it that Liddl is not the destination for Camino backpacks. Although I still use them a lot for other purposes, and shorter walks. Also have some runners from Liddle that I used for the Portuguese Camino, could feel the cobblestones underneath my feet, was unpleasant but bearable.

I bought hiking/trekking socks from Liddle, walked 2 Caminos in them, will walk the 3rd. Backpack: the one that I had from Liddle I filled in with 7 kg weight and had a couple of trial walks (20-30km) before my first Camino. It wasn't very comfortable, and I sweat in it. Tried more professional backpacks in another store and only in comparison I finally got it that Liddl is not the destination for Camino backpacks. Although I still use them a lot for other purposes, and shorter walks. Also have some runners from Liddle that I used for the Portuguese Camino, could feel the cobblestones underneath my feet, was unpleasant but bearable.
Thanks for your reply. Appreciate the advice

The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
When I first contemplated starting my walk ( of many stages over several years) I bought a rucksack from Lidl. It cost 17€ and actually served me quite well. Then I abandoned it for a second hand rucksack from Decathlon that was OK. but I had injuries and latterly had my rucksack transported. Last summer, a quick decision to walk for just a few days on the Voie de Tours found me using the old Lidl model. Carried it for three days and managed well .
I am sure a more technical model with good fitting would be the best choice.
Lidl socks, small day pack, water bottles have all served me well.

Yeah, I'd definitely recommend Decathlon for the rucksacks, and avoid Lidl ones.

My Lidl rucksack has served me well for four Caminos and the trek to Everest Base Camp! My Lidl hiking poles got me up to base camp too. Not to mention my rash vests, socks, fleeces etc. They will all be with my on my next Camino in August.

€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.
Cheap, dependable and comfortable backpacks do exist.
My own backpack is a £32 Gelert Summit 35 liter that I bought back in 2012. It's a surprisingly comfortable backpack that fits my back well, even if it has some minor quirks, and it has all the room that I need. Despite having been on several Caminos with me, it still looks like new. I've considered replacing it several times, to get rid of the quirks, but none of the otherwise interesting packs I've seen would qualify as carry-on luggage - a point which I consider essential.

To me, a Camino backpack needs to meet all of the following criteria:
  • Fit my back (and waist) comfortably
  • Have a load-bearing frame, internal or external
  • Have a load-baring hip belt
  • Weigh less than 1 kilogram (empty)
  • Have side pockets for easy access to water bottle and rain gear
  • Qualify as carry-on luggage
Fail one of those criteria, and I'm simply not interested.

Last edited by a moderator:

Most read last week in this forum

Hi! I'm traveling to Porto tomorrow and starting the Camino on the 19th, the problem is that I've just weighed my pack and it's 2 kilos more than it should be! Should I get rid of some stuff or...
My son has advised me to delete unnecessary apps, books, podcasts, downloaded videos etc from my iPhone. Saves up to 250gms. Great weight saving hack.
Hello all - thank you all so much for all of the guidance on what is not my only first camino but first hike over about 5 miles! I've headed a lot of advice about backpacks and trekking poles and...
While reading through one of the more recent water bottle vs. hydration bladder debates, I was reminded of something I came across a few weeks ago, bookmarked, and promptly forgot about until said...
With this device, you can pack everything you might want (including your fears) irrespective of weight.
Hi there! I was on the fence about poles bc I've never used them and as mentioned previously, brand new to hiking. But because I'm in treatment for breast cancer and as such have a decent amount...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.