• Get your Camino Frances Guidebook here.
  • For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Life begins (again) at 65

Time of past OR future Camino
2018 (CF); 2022 (Via Tolosana -part)
Writing from St Jean Pied de Port, listening to early morning noises as others prepare to head off. Kerry & I have given ourselves a few days to recover from the flights from Oz and le décalage horaire, no rush to set off and a chance to explore this lovely town and nearby countryside. My Camino experience started from the moment we arrived in Lyon, continued when we arrived at Biarritz and were helped by a fellow pilgrim (merci Pierre!) and just keeps flowing. Le repas last night here at la Vita e Bella was warm, jolly, joyful, multilingual and enlightening- and we have met nothing but kindness and support from everyone right from the beginning. We start walking on Saturday!

Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-
I hope you and Kerry have a great Camino Anna! I'm setting out on the 5th of September myself. I doubt I'll set a blistering pace but if you two aren't in any hurry and you linger longer in certain spots I might meet you! I'll have a Forum patch on my backpack, so keep an eye out and say hello if we run into one another. Buen Camino!

The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
New Original Camino Gear Designed Especially with The Modern Peregrino In Mind!
From one oldie (79) to another Godspeed and Ultreia!

"...and tho'
We are not now that strength which in old days
Moved earth and heaven, that which we are, we are;
One equal temper of heroic hearts,
Made weak by time and fate, but strong in will
To strive, to seek, to find, and not to yield."
Ulysses
by Alfred, Lord Tennyson

It sounds like you are having a lovely time already.
Take care and stay safe.

Buen Camino to you both. :)

New Original Camino Gear Designed Especially with The Modern Peregrino In Mind!
Transport luggage-passengers.
From airports to SJPP
Luggage from SJPP to Roncevalles
Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-
I have come to realize that if you can maintain your relative health and physical conditioning, 60 is the new 40, 70 the new 50, etc. Just listen to your body at all times and do not overdo. You will be fine.

Remember that, on the Camino there are days to be brave and days to be smart. It is not a race or an endurance contest.

Above all, it is YOUR Camino experience. No one has the standing or authority to tell you what you should or should not do. Do what is comfortable and attainable for you. That is Camino Rule Uno.

The journey IS the destination. Enjoy it!

Hope this helps.

Last edited:
I totally agree with you @peregrina2000, but I think @t2andreo was only saying "Above all, it is YOUR experience" and don't let anyone tell you how far or fast you should walk. In the context of the OP's health and physical abilities.

Words. The wrong word in the wrong place. They do get us into trouble.

Last edited:
Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-
I made the slight edit to add the word 'experience' after Camino. Hopefully, that will satisfy more. But, Kanga was correct... Thanks for the charitable assist...:)

Writing from St Jean Pied de Port, listening to early morning noises as others prepare to head off. Kerry & I have given ourselves a few days to recover from the flights from Oz and le décalage horaire, no rush to set off and a chance to explore this lovely town and nearby countryside. My Camino experience started from the moment we arrived in Lyon, continued when we arrived at Biarritz and were helped by a fellow pilgrim (merci Pierre!) and just keeps flowing. Le repas last night here at la Vita e Bella was warm, jolly, joyful, multilingual and enlightening- and we have met nothing but kindness and support from everyone right from the beginning. We start walking on Saturday!
I turned 78 in Pamplona last year.... I have underwear older than you..ha! Buen Camino.

Hola,
Wow what a graceful beginning to a long amble. We begin walking from Astorga in 7 days. Buen Camino

The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
Hi Anna

I am 64 and my sister will be 71 when we leave Oz and head to Valenca for her first Camino and my second!! We are taking a 2 day break in London where we'll leave our 'winter woolies', Twisties, Vegemite & obligatory Aussie goodies (gifts for family) until we return. We are walking the Portugese route and arrive in Santiago on 26 October. You & Kerry will have an amazing time. Breath it all in - don't miss a moment and you'll be back for more I promise you!

Age is nothing when your heart is full of yearning for adventure!

Well done, have an amazing time and Beun Camino my friend!

€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.
Anna and Kerry,

Buen Camino!!!
We are en route! Zubiri today. I had to taxi here from Roncesvalles this morning because I injured my foot crossing the Pyrenees but Kerry is powering along. I hope we'll set off for Pamplona together tomorrow. We have met so many generous and wonderful people already. My taxi ride was hilarious- driver Alloni worked in Idaho years ago, he played country music favourites as we drove here and we both sang along to Johnny Cash and Hank Williams! 10 mins after he dropped me off at the albergue, he came back to hand me my plastic baggie of cash that had fallen on floor of his taxi. I live my life, sure foot and all!

I have come to realize that if you can maintain your relative health and physical conditioning, 60 is the new 40, 70 the new 50, etc. Just listen to your body at all times and do not overdo. You will be fine.

Remember that, on the Camino there are days to be brave and days to be smart. It is not a race or an endurance contest.

Above all, it is YOUR Camino experience. No one has the standing or authority to tell you what you should or should not do. Do what is comfortable and attainable for you. That is Camino Rule Uno.

The journey IS the destination. Enjoy it!

Hope this helps.

Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-
That makes so much sense to me. At 72 I’m hoping to put those words to wisdom into action. I will be leaving for Santiago March 3rd from the states and have about 18 days to spend on my new adventure. Haven’t picked a route yet any help is appreciated.

That sore foot has caused me to slow my rhythm somewhat and I've had to take the autobus partway on certain days so I could link up with Kerry at night. But things are looking up now after seeing a podiatrist in Estella- I recommend Cristina Saenz, whose clinic is in Calle Yerri near autobus station. Treated my toes, approved my Scarpa shoes and reassured me that I can go on, but at my own pace.

€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.
Anna,
Best wishes for the healing of your foot ailment. Take it easy!
Janet
I'm happy to report that I am walking again! But shorter distances and changing socks & dressings every 2 H. Kerry speeds ahead of me, I go at my own pace and on longer days I will go part-bus, part-walk. I felt good walking today ! But it was very humid.

Most read last week in this forum

My name is Henrik and I will be coming down to SJPdP from Sweden on March 26 and start walking on March 27. I don't really have any experience and I'm not the best at planning and I'm a little...
When I hiked the Frances Route this happened. I was hiking in the afternoon just east of Arzua. I was reserved a bed at an albergue in Arzua, so I had already hiked all the way from San Xulien...
I'd like some recommendations about where to find the most current and up to date information about albergues that are actually open. I'm currently walking the camino Frances, and I can't even...
I am finalizing my packing list for Frances, and do not want to over pack. (I am 71) I will be starting at SJPdP on April 25th to Roncesvalles and forward. I was hoping on some advise as to...
First marker starting from Albergue Monasterio de la Magdalena in Sarria (113.460 km) Start: 2023.9.29 07:22 Arrival: 2023.9.30 13:18 walking time : 26 hours 47 minutes rest time : 3 hours 8...
A local Navarra website has posted a set of photos showing today's snowfall in the area around Roncesvalles. About 15cm of snow fell this morning surprising pilgrims on the way...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back