Search over 55.000 Camino Questions

A donation to the forum removes ads for you, and supports Ivar in his work running it

Advertisement
Camino Maps
A collection of Camino Maps from the Camino Forum Store
Camino Way Markers
Original Camino Way markers made in bronze. Two models, one from Castilla & Leon and the other from Galicia.

COVID Life in the US Right Now

Status
Not open for further replies.
Year of past OR future Camino
CF SJPdP to SdC
(May 2015)
CF Sarria to SdC
(May 2016)
CF SJPDP-SdC
(May 2018)
VdlP (2022?)
This is not meant to be Political and in any way Disparaging.

I'm genuinely interested.

In Australia, we had the City of Melbourne in lock down for about 3 months to get Covid under control, and thanks to the controversial sacrifices (freedom, business closures etc) made by people there is seems back under control.

My sister lives in France and they are back to local lock downs.

My Brother in the UK, more restrictions imposed again. In fact he lives in Jersey (the Original one) in the Channel Islands and they have an instant GBP5,000-10,000 fine for Covid breaches.

Then I read about the US. NYC 'might' impose a 10 pm curfew on Gyms, Restaurants, Bars. Really? One has to ask why they are even open at all......... Ours were closed for months.

For those members who live in the US, is your day to day life fairly 'normal'. From what we see on the News and Social media it appears to be. But maybe we are seeing 'filtered' news......

How are you guys coping?

Wishing you all well from 'down under'.

Donation to the Forum
A donation to this forum helps it continue to exists and also removes all ads for you.
Camino Magnets
A collection of Camino Fridge Magnets
Frances (2017), Primitivo (2019)
Well, I just got a negative Covid test today( which is good news!). I am a building contractor and we have not been shut down at any time. I go to work, limit numbers on the job, keep my distance and mask up when people outside my small group show up. That said, I am subject to the restrained ( or not ) behavior of those close to me, That is the wild card ( and why I got another test yesterday). This vaccine can’t come soon enough.

[Edited by moderator to remove political statement]

Last edited by a moderator:
@Robo -

Life goes on in my little town east of the Cascades in Washington State.

Most people wear masks in public areas. I am not happy with the lack of observance of hand sanitization which is extremely important with use of face masks.

Grocery shelves are largely well-stocked though I am waiting for the surge of buyers of toilet paper in remedy of an upper respiratory infection. ;)

I must note, most of my time the last couple of months has been spent in garden and household chores so others in the area may have more experience of public life. (My lifestyle though is reclusive at the best of times.)

B

chestnut

April-May 2016 with my father
Life is semi-normal in my state. I go to work (I am a teacher) and then return home. I don't go out of the house unnecessarily. The governor of my state just issued new mandates which begin tomorrow and I am predicting that we will be on lockdown again at some point as cases in my area are rising. Masks aren't worn by everyone in my area (seen in grocery stores, social media posts, and parents of my students who don't believe in it). It is disheartening to see. I am praying for a vaccine soon so those at risk can be safe and we can try to resume normal life. Be well!

Original artwork based on your pilgrimage or other travel photos.
Camino Cups
Browse our selection of Camino Cups on the forum store
CF SJPdP to SdC
(May 2015)
CF Sarria to SdC
(May 2016)
CF SJPDP-SdC
(May 2018)
VdlP (2022?)
I’ll say this: I am so upset I cannot answer your query.

One note: Friday the 13TH, 154,000 Covid cases. A record.

Now; back to first two lines.

Thank You for the replies.
And sorry of my inquisitiveness. It was not meant to be insensitive.

May we all get through this OK soon.

I just find that my thoughts and prayers of late are with those in the US.

trecile

Camino Addict
Francés (2016 & 2017), Norte (2018), Francés-Salvador-Norte (2019), Portuguese (2019)
Cases are rising rapidly in my semi-rural county. Up until the end of May my county of 220,000 people had had a total of 57 cases. Now we are up to over 60 cases per day! Back in March and April I didn't go into any stores, and ordered my groceries online and picked them up at the store. I have gone back to that protocol now.
I personally don't know anyone who has contracted Covid, but friends and relatives of friends have.
I am very distressed by those who still aren't taking this seriously.

Marbe2

2015-2019 walked all or more than half of CF 7 times... CP recently cancelled by Covid 19!
I live in Pennsylvana in a lovely middle class development. Have a town path right outside my backyard which allows us to walk the dog for miles. We were never not allowed to go outide and for that I am grateful. That is the good news.

We have a mandatory face mask policy in our state. Most people in my area do wear the masks inside stores (not all). If I enter a store and someone refuses to wear a mask, I immediately leave.

There are many folks who are not extreme leaning,but are simply gathering at home. In the Spring my next door neighbor had a graduation party. Lots of people. We were invited ... Didn’t go! Saw at least 4 families regularly having pool party gatherings......not just immediate families.

Restaurants open, seating capacity limited indoors...people still going indoors!

Many People still refuse to wear masks in parts of the state. Some gather with long guns, sometimes screaming about their freedom, not concerned about how they impact anyone else. Politically charged!

Currently I am hesitant about doing yearly medical screenings. Done mostly telemed visits. Had to have a couple of necessary procedures done and was genuinely afraid because our state now has a 17 percent positivity rate. Shortage of PPE. Many technicians and nurses still using masks for a week.
Some small states are approaching a 50 percent positivity rate.

Now hospitals in many states are overcapacity in Emergency rooms and no room in Intensive care. Doctors beginning to do triage...who may survive and who is less likely to survive. Now shortage of medical personnel in many states. Medical staffs are strained and exhausted. System on overload!
Still some Governors refuse to issue mandatory mask usage.

Today, there were 180,000 people infected in one day.

States have not been financially supported by Federal government and some of them are runnng out of money to provide ongoing testing.

There are millions of people who can not afford groceries or pay their rent. Food banks are beyond stressed. People wait for hours to get a box of groceries to feed a family for a week. Because the politicians can not agree on a plan, this situation gets worse. Some folks have been evicted in the middle of a pandemic. Most states have now prohibited evictions.

Local leaders telling people not to gather at Thanksgiving...end of November. Judging by past behaviors, many will not listen and the numbers will grow exponentially in December. Beginning to see food shortages on shelves again.

Vaccine can not come fast enough!

Last edited:

Damico Walking

Ready, and waiting, to walk
Portuguese coastal route May 2020 (not to be)
Portuguese coastal route TBD post COVID-19
This is not meant to be Political and in any way Disparaging.

I'm genuinely interested.

In Australia, we had the City of Melbourne in lock down for about 3 months to get Covid under control, and thanks to the controversial sacrifices (freedom, business closures etc) made by people there is seems back under control.

My sister lives in France and they are back to local lock downs.

My Brother in the UK, more restrictions imposed again. In fact he lives in Jersey (the Original one) in the Channel Islands and they have an instant GBP5,000-10,000 fine for Covid breaches.

Then I read about the US. NYC 'might' impose a 10 pm curfew on Gyms, Restaurants, Bars. Really? One has to ask why they are even open at all......... Ours were closed for months.

For those members who live in the US, is your day to day life fairly 'normal'. From what we see on the News and Social media it appears to be. But maybe we are seeing 'filtered' news......

How are you guys coping?

Wishing you all well from 'down under'.
Thank you for asking. Being retired and in a high risk group makes a bit of a difference for us. But life here is a bit of the ostrich effect. Many wear face masks, but too many either refuse to wear them, wear them under their nose (which does no good), or wear them on their chin (totally useless).

Outdoor dining does no good when the tent covers used for protection from the weather also have walls on 3 sides.

Quite sad when the solution of EVERYONE consistently wearing a mask will reduce the infection rate by 80%, but that seems to be such a hard concept for a stubborn portion of the population to grasp.

I agree that closing things at a 10 p.m. curfew is pointless.

But to summarize, I am concerned and even more so every day. I am frustrated with my stubborn countrymen. I pray for a vaccine to become available, and admire places that are willing to impose a penalty for covid breaches.

Stay safe and with a vaccine maybe we will see you on the camino next September.

Camino Maps
A collection of Camino Maps from the Camino Forum Store
Create your own ad
€1,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.

Camino Chrissy

Take one step forward...then keep on walking..
Frances 2015;
Norte/Primitivo 2016;
Frances 2017;
Le Puy 2018;
Portuguese/FishermanTr. 2019
I personally don't know anyone who has contracted Covid, but friends and relatives of friends have.
Same with me. I live in a small community of 2200 outside of a larger city of 150,000. No one I know has had the virus, but my friends and relatives personally seem to know of someone who has...which makes the reality of it hit "closer to home". It is mandatory where I live to wear a mask in public.

Marbe2

2015-2019 walked all or more than half of CF 7 times... CP recently cancelled by Covid 19!
Same with me. I live in a small community of 2200 outside of a larger city of 150,000. No one I know has had the virus, but my friends and relatives personally seem to know of someone who has...which makes the reality of it hit "closer to home". It is mandatory where I live to wear a mask in public.

I know a number of people who have had it. Two relatives were hospitalized. A friend passed from it. Two people on my block, that I know about, had it and quaranteened at home. Nurse friend also had to quarantine after exposure.

trecile

Camino Addict
Francés (2016 & 2017), Norte (2018), Francés-Salvador-Norte (2019), Portuguese (2019)
It is mandatory where I live to wear a mask in public.
It's mandatory where I live too - in public places. But I'm very certain that people are getting together in private with people outside of their households who may have Covid.
Plus too many people refuse to wear their masks properly.
Too many of these penis mask meme.jpg

how to successfully prepare for your Camino
This book's focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared.
Camino Masks
12 different designs, shipped world wide from Santiago.

RJM

Veteran Member
A few times
Have been in the states since the covid 19 started. Where I am bars and restaurants closed, take out only. Schools open. I personally take all the precautions. Do not care if others do not. Circle my own wagon and my loved ones as well, so to speak. I know only one person who has contracted the virus, and they recovered. I also know during the same time frame one person who was bitten by a poisonous snake and recovered. Not sure what to make or think of the numbers thrown around. I suppose it is what it is and people will be people. Just hoping and praying a viable solution develops.

CF SJPdP to SdC
(May 2015)
CF Sarria to SdC
(May 2016)
CF SJPDP-SdC
(May 2018)
VdlP (2022?)
As an expat, I am wishing Ivar had a 'quiet hug' reaction button right now...

I agree @VNwalking .
Any chance of another couple of reaction buttons @ivar ?

Hugs
Sending Prayers or Thinking of You

A 'like' or the other options can seem very inappropriate at times 😞

Camino Francés, Oct 2020
I live in Pennsylvana in a lovely middle class development. Have a town path right outside my backyard which allows us to walk the dog for miles. We were never not allowed to go outide and for that I am grateful. That is the good news.

We have a mandatory face mask policy in our state. Most people in my area do wear the masks inside stores (not all). If I enter a store and someone refuses to wear a mask, I immediately leave.

There are many folks who are not extreme leaning,but are simply gathering at home. In the Spring my next door neighbor had a graduation party. Lots of people. We were invited ... Didn’t go! Saw at least 4 families regularly having pool party gatherings......not just immediate families.

Restaurants open, seating capacity limited indoors...people still going indoors!

Many People still refuse to wear masks in parts of the state. Some gather with long guns, sometimes screaming about their freedom, not concerned about how they impact anyone else. Politically charged!

Currently I am hesitant about doing yearly medical screenings. Done mostly telemed visits. Had to have a couple of necessary procedures done and was genuinely afraid because our state now has a 17 percent positivity rate. Shortage of PPE. Many technicians and nurses still using masks for a week.
Some small states are approaching a 50 percent positivity rate.

Now hospitals in many states are overcapacity in Emergency rooms and no room in Intensive care. Doctors beginning to do triage...who may survive and who is less likely to survive. Now shortage of medical personnel in many states. Medical staffs are strained and exhausted. System on overload!
Still some Governors refuse to issue mandatory mask usage.

Today, there were 180,000 people infected in one day.

States have not been financially supported by Federal government and some of them are runnng out of money to provide ongoing testing.

There are millions of people who can not afford groceries or pay their rent. Food banks are beyond stressed. People wait for hours to get a box of groceries to feed a family for a week. Because the politicians can not agree on a plan, this situation gets worse. Some folks have been evicted in the middle of a pandemic. Most states have now prohibited evictions.

Local leaders telling people not to gather at Thanksgiving...end of November. Judging by past behaviors, many will not listen and the numbers will grow exponentially in December. Beginning to see food shortages on shelves again.

Vaccine can not come fast enough!
Sounds like a nightmare situation. For those wanting to follow advice are being put in danger by those who blatantly do not care. Freedom is important, but not whilst putting others in danger. We live in a global community - we should care for all within it.

Camino Francés, Oct 2020
In Franc, it is mandatory to wear facemarks in public. I can't remember the last time I saw anyone not doing this (but I'm not in the city). When I was in Spain (socially distanced from any locals and always masked!) I was amazed at how many car drivers were wearing their masks whilst driving, often without passengers.

Camino Magnets
A collection of Camino Fridge Magnets
Silver Oxide Camino de Santiago pendent
Camino de Santiago pendant that has a shell on the front, and "Camino de Santiago" engraved on the back. Comes with a black cord. Pendent is slightly larger than a 50 euro cent coin, about 25mm.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Did not find what you were looking for? Search here

Popular Resources

“All” Albergues on the Camino Frances in one pdf ivar
  • Featured
“All” Albergues on the Camino Frances in one pdf
4.95 star(s) 100 ratings
Downloads
Updated
A selection of favorite albergues on the Camino Francés Ton van Tilburg
Favorite Albergues along the Camino Frances