• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Lifetime Members

New Original Camino Gear Designed Especially with The Modern Peregrino In Mind!
€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.
That was my plan also - but logically, why wait as a lifetime membership lasts (spoiler alert!) a lifetime.

Next time I’m ‘in funds’ I might as well.

On the other hand - what if you suddenly go postal like a recently departed long-standing member and get hoofed off?

Do lifetime members get cut a bit more slack?

Rev - would you try posting a few rule-defying topics just so that we can see what happens?

(Correction to earlier post ‘lifetime’ is 99 years apparently. If you’re expecting to live more than 12 years from decision day, the lifetime option is good. Work it out for yourself )

Last edited:
Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
On the other hand - what if you suddenly go postal like a recently departed long-standing member and get hoofed off?

Do lifetime members get cut a bit more slack?

Rev - would you try posting a few rule-defying topics just so that we can see what happens?
D;on't think I'll get more slack at all(?) But well,my decision is simply a decision to support future pilgrims by keeping this forum alive indefinitely: A just cause for humanity, if you ask me.

On the serious side; Soo many people will benefit from being here even after they cannot walk, staying in a virtual Camino in here; sharing thoughts, experiences, and well-being for future pilgrims. IMHO.

D;on't think I'll get more slack at all(?) But well,my decision is simply a decision to support future pilgrims by keeping this forum alive indefinitely: A just cause for humanity, if you ask me.

On the serious side; Soo many people will benefit from being here even after they cannot walk, staying in a virtual Camino in here; sharing thoughts, experiences, and well-being for future pilgrims. IMHO.
@alexwalker I believe you've just answered your recent question "What do you do when you can't walk anymore?"... you stay in the virtual Camino and keep your connection and share with like-minded people. I know this is how I managed the time in between my trips to Spain, too. @ivar has created this haven for us and for those who are in a position to give back, I think it's a great gesture to become a 'Lifer'! Maybe someday we'll see a badge saying 'Caminodesantiago.me Forum Lifetime Member' stitched on someone's backpack :)

Click on your profile picture, select ‘account upgrades’ and scroll down.
Perfect! Thanks! I never knew how to check when I'd be expiring...I mean my membership, not me!😊 Last time I was unaware it had run out and started getting ads and whatnot, which totally confused me because I had no idea what had happened.

Join our full-service guided tour and let us convert you into a Pampered Pilgrim!
I kicked in about a year ago and became a "Lifer" to help make sure that this wonderful Forum carry's on. I have gained so much from this forum since 2013 and still do.

Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-
@alexwalker I believe you've just answered your recent question "What do you do when you can't walk anymore?"... you stay in the virtual Camino and keep your connection and share with like-minded people. I know this is how I managed the time in between my trips to Spain, too. @ivar has created this haven for us and for those who are in a position to give back, I think it's a great gesture to become a 'Lifer'! Maybe someday we'll see a badge saying 'Caminodesantiago.me Forum Lifetime Member' stitched on someone's backpack :)
Yeah, I think I said something similar earlier in this thread: If you cannot walk anymore, become a hospitalero(a, apply for service in the Pilgrims Office, etc. Many ways to do the Camino without walking. And don't you know: Maybe our Camino experience can help one more pilgrim? If so we have done a good deed in our old days,

So you all calculate nicely: So many euros for so many years and donate accordingly? I just try to donate every year at Christmas what I can afford because the money is needed and because I find so much enjoyment on this forum. By the time my life is over I suppose I will be a lifer several times over without ever having donated 300 euros in one go. Now I come to think of it, given my age maybe I will not be a lifer that many times over! 😊

A selection of Camino Jewellery
I felt that I spent so much time using the forum that I should just become a lifer. I hate being dunned annually to pay dues. I have been a lifer about 18 months, after my second CF.

Last edited:
Are you a lifer repeatedly? One could be of course, now I come to think of it. I too spend a lot of time on the forum....
Will think about it.

A selection of Camino Jewellery
Just curious....

Some time back I found a few extra quid in my pocket, and frivolously used them to purchase a Camino Forum "Lifetime Membership." ... Are there any other "Lifetime Members"?
I appear to be a Lifetime Member. I think I figured it would save me money in the long term.

I am also a lifetime member of the Youth Hostelling Federation, a membership I purchased in 1982 (I was life member #1000 of the Canadian Hostelling Federation) and used in 2016.

Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-
So you all calculate nicely: So many euros for so many years and donate accordingly? I just try to donate every year at Christmas what I can afford because the money is needed and because I find so much enjoyment on this forum. By the time my life is over I suppose I will be a lifer several times over without ever having donated 300 euros in one go. Now I come to think of it, given my age maybe I will not be a lifer that many times over! 😊

You make a good point. Repeated smaller donations would contribute more to the sustainability of the forum in the foreseeable future. A 99 year subscription may be welcomed by Ivar’s heirs and successors, but who can predict with any confidence what the world will be like well beyond (most of) our lifetimes.

Just curious....

Some time back I found a few extra quid in my pocket, and frivolously used them to purchase a Camino Forum "Lifetime Membership." ... Are there any other "Lifetime Members"?
Jeffrey - I'm a future Lifetime member! Joined in November 2004 when it was a Santiago Forum, not so much a pilgrim forum. :)

Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-
I can always renew when my current membership expires.😀

You certainly can! When does it expire? I do not know when you took out your current membership. Seeing that a lifetime membership lasts for 99 years, whenever you took it out, it helped the forum a lot immediately, but in the long run???

Me too. We must be a fairly rare breed because almost every time I have shown my gold membership card at check-in someone does a double-take and tells me they have never seen one before.
The Canadian chapter of the Hostelling Federation no longer gives lifetime members special cards like they did in the early 80s when I got mine. They just give us new cards whenever we want one.

St James' Way - Self-guided 4-7 day Walking Packages, Reading to Southampton, 110 kms
Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-
Perfect! Thanks! I never knew how to check when I'd be expiring...I mean my membership, not me!😊 Last time I was unaware it had run out and started getting ads and whatnot, which totally confused me because I had no idea what had happened.
Yes, same happened to me with the ads.....a good reminder as I hadn't given it a thought.
Very happy to donate as this forum is a wealth of information and I generally have a 'sqizz' 👀 most days 👣👣

Most read last week in this forum

Could I ask what may be naive question. This will be my 1st Camino and I will be mostly staying in alberques. Could you please explain the bathroom/shower etiquette to me? I have no idea what...
Do i need both these apps? I want to spend as little time my device as possible so if one app will do fine that’s my preference.
I was planning to document my journey through my blog (or Vlog, as I would probably take lots of videos). I was thinking of using my iPhone, and I ordered a foldable keyboard to facilitate typing...
I did the Norte in 2017. This set off a wild ride of changes in life - shifting many things. I am now at a new plateau and it feels like the right time to do Camino #2, this time the...
Hi to all, I'm looking for a really, really good place (an artist) to get a Tattoo in Santiago, it could be before Santiago but I presume in Santiago I will be ready to have my first one. The...
My daughter and I will be on the Portuguese on June and July starting in Lisbon. We will arrive in Porto about the 27th of June. We want to stay for three nights. Can we stay in an albergue for...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back