• Get your Camino Frances Guidebook here.
  • For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

lifetime to walk

Craig White

Time of past OR future Camino
May 2018
I plan on walking the Camino in May of 2018, after I retire and that gives me a few years to train. Yes, joined a gym, have a workmate who gives me workout tips and a diet to follow. Since I have the rest of my life to do this amazing pilgrimage, I have a few questions. What is the best place to fly to in France and how to get to Saint Jean PP from there.
Can I take my Aboriginal blessed walking stick? Near and Dear to me.
I don't plan on pre booking albergues just go and see what happens, no tent. Any thoughts on this?
Plan is to go to muxia and then back through Portugal to Barcelona and off to Sweden with my granddaughter who is accompanying me she is 21 and very brave.
Phone and/ or IPad, granddaughter social update to fam and freinds.
Best place to buy equipment for said granddaughter in Toronto Canada.
Think that is it, but as soon as I sign off somerhing will come up.

The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
I plan on walking the Camino in May of 2018, after I retire and that gives me a few years to train. Yes, joined a gym, have a workmate who gives me workout tips and a diet to follow. Since I have the rest of my life to do this amazing pilgrimage, I have a few questions. What is the best place to fly to in France and how to get to Saint Jean PP from there.
Can I take my Aboriginal blessed walking stick? Near and Dear to me.
I don't plan on pre booking albergues just go and see what happens, no tent. Any thoughts on this?
Plan is to go to muxia and then back through Portugal to Barcelona and off to Sweden with my granddaughter who is accompanying me she is 21 and very brave.
Phone and/ or IPad, granddaughter social update to fam and freinds.
Best place to buy equipment for said granddaughter in Toronto Canada.
Think that is it, but as soon as I sign off somerhing will come up.
Hi Craig

Welcome to the forum. My take on what questions I can answer are:

Training - the only training I have ever done is walking [lots of walking!] in the boots I will be using on the camino. I am retired, so I am able to walk 100 km a week in practice. Lots of people will say this is not necessary, and this may be so, but I feel more confident in having done it.

Aboriginal blessed walking stick - I presume from the question that you are Australian - I have used a similar staff with aboriginal paintings on it for my caminos - I have checked it each time without question - the biggest problem is getting it back home through Australian customs! - they may insist on fumigating it before they let it back in to the country.

Pre booking albergues should not be necessary unless you are walking high season in July/August - or during the last 100 km when it is much more crowded.

The rest sounds that you should decide what suits you best!

Alan

Be brave. Life is joyous.

Shalom Craig and Greetings from Jerusalem!
My first Camino and this certified couch potato got up from the sofa and walked SJPP to Muxia, wasn't easy but wasn't a disaster eaither. There are very few Camino Commandos or Marines out there, most just everyday ordinary people who have been moved by Saint James, the lure of Santiago, in search of spirituality and/or freedom. Go the the gym, do some training, lose the weight cannot possibly hurt but likewise, forget your worries about how difficult the Camino may be to walk. Give yourself plenty of time, stop when you are tired continue if you are not and the Camino will do the rest. Most serious physical issues occur because pilgrims try to walk too far within a binding unrealistic timetable. A secret? Arriving in Santiago is indeed overwhelming, in retrospect, Iand many find that memories of the month before walking in are much more important and lasting, so don't worry and enjoy every minute!

Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-
Welcome to the forum @Craig White - hope you enjoy this virtual albergue. Look in the "Pilgrims around the world" section to see if there are any local groups near you - it can be very enjoyable to meet up with past and future camino walkers.

The first edition came out in 2003 and has become the go-to-guide for many pilgrims over the years. It is shipping with a Pilgrim Passport (Credential) from the cathedral in Santiago de Compostela.
It works for most pilgrims. Your only problems will be walking late in the day and the last 100km. If you find that you will be walking past about 3 p.m., you may want to call ahead to the private albergues that take reservations. In the last 100km the number of pilgrims increases dramatically. So does the number of accommodations. So it is often a matter of moving on to another place when you find that one is full. For example, Arzua has 437 albergue beds in ten places (plus some hostales and hoteles). You just have to find the open beds!

No tent.;)

I am sure your granddaughter is familiar with Mountain Equipment Coop (MEC) is Canada. Sail is another chain out outdoor euipment with some stores in the Totonto subburbs. The key is all equipment she will be purchassing is that it is lightweight and quick drying. There are lots of packing lists on this forum to give her an idea of what she may want bring, and especially what she should not bring. It's about packing for needs, not 'in cases'.

Question, you are planning to walk back from Muxia south to Portugal and then keep walking to Barcelona?

Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-
I am sure your granddaughter is familiar with Mountain Equipment Coop (MEC) is Canada. Sail is another chain out outdoor euipment with some stores in the Totonto subburbs. The key is all equipment she will be purchassing is that it is lightweight and quick drying. There are lots of packing lists on this forum to give her an idea of what she may want bring, and especially what she should not bring. It's about packing for needs, not 'in cases'.

Question, you are planning to walk back from Muxia south to Portugal and then keep walking to Barcelona?
Yes, my plan is to walk where my feet take me and my granddaughter made me promise we would stop over in Sweden where she has freinds. I like the idea of a free tour guide.

One more question is, do I need a visa and how long can I stay in Europe for, I'm a Canadian, if that makes any difference.

One more question is, do I need a visa and how long can I stay in Europe for, I'm a Canadian, if that makes any difference.
I believe you are only allowed 3 months in the Schengen zone. I have a Spanish passport so I have never looked into this.

Ideal pocket guides for during & after your Camino. Each weighs only 1.4 oz (40g)!

Yes, we have all the time in the world and will try and see all we can. GD, wants to then go to Sweden...

Most read last week in this forum

La Voz de Galicia has reported the death of a 65 year old pilgrim from the United States this afternoon near Castromaior. The likely cause appears to be a heart attack. The pilgrim was walking the...
This is my first posting but as I look at the Camino, I worry about 'lack of solitude' given the number of people on the trail. I am looking to do the France route....as I want to have the...
The Burguete bomberos had another busy day yesterday. Picking up two pilgrims with symptoms of hypothermia and exhaustion near the Lepoeder pass and another near the Croix de Thibault who was...
Between Villafranca Montes de Oca and San Juan de Ortega there was a great resting place with benches, totem poles andvarious wooden art. A place of good vibes. It is now completely demolished...
Left Saint Jean this morning at 7am. Got to Roncesvalles just before 1:30. Weather was clear and beautiful! I didn't pre book, and was able to get a bed. I did hear they were all full by 4pm...
Hi there - we are two 'older' women from Australia who will be walking the Camino in September and October 2025 - we are tempted by the companies that pre book accomodation and bag transfers but...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back