• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Light linen pants or must I get the quick-dry fancy fabrics?

gwenc

Time of past OR future Camino
New Pilgrim
I only have a few days to procure the right goods and I'm a little overwhelmed with everything I need to buy for this lightweight packing I'm supposed to do.

Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-
If you are going to carry your own pack, you'll be looking for minimal clothing to keep the weight down. I took 2 pairs of walking clothes only, quick dry T's, socks and shorts. Each day when we arrived at our albergue, I would shower, wash the clothes I walked in and put on my clean pair (that I washed yesterday) I would wear these for the rest of the day, and to walk in the next day). Repeat every day.
I walked in warm months , by the time I finished walking for the day, they would be completely drenched and in need of washing.
Whatever you take needs to be as light as possible, and dry quickly, but there is no magic 'correct' list, everyone has their own preferences.

Last edited:
Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-
Light linen pants or must I get the quick-dry fancy fabrics?... this lightweight packing I'm supposed to do.
Don't feel obliged to pack light! It's your choice. Light linen pants sound pretty fancy to me, so the question is how do they wash up, and what will you wear when they are being washed?

Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
No I didn't walk around naked whilst I did my washing... although sometimes I did my washing in the shower
I also washed clothes during/after arrival-shower. After ringing out, I rung them again in my travel towel, took more water out!.

We bought nothing special for our first Camino We already had packs from a previous trip - big 60-70l ones that we cinched up with belts, and sandals that we hiked in at home. We took clothes that we wore at home, our camping sleeping bag liners and toiletries from our bathroom.
We thrived.
And returned.
More than once.

Last edited:
To any pilgrims out there, present and future. Please don't do your clothes washing while in the shower. Wash your clothes in the sinks just for that purpose almost every albergue has.
There may other pilgrims waiting to use the shower when you are done. It may be many pilgrims. In a queue.
You waste hot water when you do it. Hot water needed by the pilgrims waiting in the queue.
Basically, when using communal showers, wash your body as quick as possible using as little hot water as possible, and then get out. You know, so the other pilgrims in the queue can shower as well.

Last edited:
St James' Way - Self-guided 4-7 day Walking Packages, Reading to Southampton, 110 kms
I only have a few days to procure the right goods and I'm a little overwhelmed with everything I need to buy for this lightweight packing I'm supposed to do.
I like your Echinacea picture! I suggest you use nylon pants,convertible is my choice,as you can combine shorts and long pants in one. You need to have things that are light and dry quickly. I walked the Primitivo last fall and there were days when clothes had a hard time drying,often more than one day. Of course it depends on what Camino you walk and when. The important thing is BUEN CAMINO

I'm guessing you are walking this summer from your "only a few days." In which case, I think a pair of light cotton pants that dry quickly would be ideal. In fact on our last CF (Sept-Oct. 2016), my wife stopped in Logrono to buy a linen shirt because the heat was still too intense for nylon.

Here's what I do for summer Caminos. I have two sets of clothes, one in cotton, one in quick dry nylon. In the mountains (where it is cooler, wetter, and hypothermia a possibility), I wear the nylon to walk in, changing into the cotton when I get to the alburgue (where I'm must less likely to get wet or hypothermic). Cotton is not so good for the mountains on either end because it tends to absorb water; nylon does not. Wet clothes can lead to hypothermia.

But then, about the time you hit Pamplona it's going to start getting much hotter. Too hot for the nylon. And you don't care about hypothermia because even if you get wet in the rain, it is basically a pretty warm rain. Indeed, you'll welcome rain to cool off. Switch to the cotton for walking; and wear the nylon when you get to the alburgue (and are not out in the sun generating all that body heat by walking). In the hotter places, cotton's absorbancy of water is exactly what you want--the exaporative cooling will keep you much cooler (you will even find yourself soaking your shirt in water during the day to get more cooling).

Then, about the time you hit Astorga and then Galicia, switch back.

A caveat--this does not mean jeans (they will never dry overnight). I wear Kuhl Kontra Air pants and Steersman shirts from Patagonia. But whatever you choose, it has to be very thin so it will dry fast.

I hope this helps. Buen Camino,
Jo Jo

New Original Camino Gear Designed Especially with The Modern Peregrino In Mind!
They are old and not fancy or all. They are lounge pants but linen material. :)
If they are comfortable, have whatever pockets you like and are a colour that won't soil too much, then the only question is their washability. Wash them by hand, roll them up in the towel you plan to take, and then see how long it takes for them to dry. Also, consider that you will probably be sitting on the ground from time to time, and also what you will wear in the rain.

If they are comfortable, have whatever pockets you like and are a colour that won't soil too much, then the only question is their washability. Wash them by hand, roll them up in the towel you plan to take, and then see how long it takes for them to dry. Also, consider that you will probably be sitting on the ground from time to time, and also what you will wear in the rain.
Thank you, that is good advice. I will try that this weekend, as I leave on Monday! Eeek!

St James' Way - Self-guided 4-7 day Walking Packages, Reading to Southampton, 110 kms
I also washed clothes during/after arrival-shower. After ringing out, I rung them again in my travel towel, took more water out!.
I did the same.

Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-
Your topic line asked about pants, but it’s the body of your post that has me concerned. With only a few days to get what you need, there are far bigger issues than pants. My top three list of gear, in ranked order, are shoes, backpack and socks. Are you all set on those three items?

Something a little different - two sets of clothes, but wear one each day for walking and the other set each evening.
That way you could have some shorts or hiking pants or leggings/capris (easily washable and quick drying) for daytime whilst you are walking and then your comfortable linen trousers to wear each evening. Only wearing them for a few hours they'd not need washing very often unles you spill vino tinto on them!

This system works for me, spring and autumn walking.

Tops, whether long sleeved thermal, fleece, t-shirts are always wicking and quick-dry, and are mix-n-match with whatever bottoms I am wearing. And can be slept in.

Like I said, works for me.

Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
I am rather surprised at the number of forum members that are rude enough to wash their clothes in the albergue's shower (yes, it is a rude thing to do). Using up hot water and causing others to wait longer. Not to mention most of the albergues just plain prefer you do not do it.
A bit disappointing.

Last edited:
Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-
I was wondering about the number of people washing clothes in the shower too. At first I thought it would be a good idea, but with other people needing to use the showers (and hoping for hot water), I realized that it doesn't make much sense to stand there with the shower running while washing clothes. It seems like a better choice to wash the clothes in the laundry sink after showering - that way you minimize the time and hot water you spend in the shower so other people can use it. When I stay in a hotel (Camino or otherwise), I will do my hand washing while showering, but not in shared accomodations.

I do my laundry in a dry bag, which I do use some shower water to fill - just a couple of liters. As I take my clothes off I put them in the dry bag with some soap, then I add some water to let them soak while I'm showering. After my shower I agitate the bag a bit before rinsing in the laundry sink.

Oh boy...nobody is doing Laundry in the shower. Your clothing isn't that dirty from one days walk (unless it is mucky walking) it's dusty and a bit sweaty....stepping into the show with it while you wash the hair etc and then strip... doesn't take any longer with or without clothing on. You then rinse the lot in the tub provided and hang to dry. Quick and easy and fast. There is nothing rude about it, just practical.

I walk in linen smock and kirtle. they take their time to dry, usually at least two hours on a hot sunny afternoon in the sun(!), and longer in less sunny conditions. I don't wash them if the weather isn't sunny enough. they weight about once as much as the modern gear, but since I wear them while walking, that is not such a concern.
having said that, they are super comfortable to wear, are breezy, don't get (too) hot, and don't smell so atrocious as most modern gear. I have all my washable gear in the same (light) colours so that it can all go in a single washing machine and don't come out eye-popping.

Last edited:
@caminka
My daughter had a very lightweight linen loose shirt and skirt, that she bought in a street market in Florence. They used to dry in about 2 hours in the heat. She has lightweight, tech clothing too, but used to prefer wearing the linen.
It probably depends on how thick or thin the linen fabric is.

Your topic line asked about pants, but it’s the body of your post that has me concerned. With only a few days to get what you need, there are far bigger issues than pants. My top three list of gear, in ranked order, are shoes, backpack and socks. Are you all set on those three items?
Thank you! Yes, my boots and backpack arrived a few days ago. I tried on several pair and all is well in that department. I ordered wool compression socks for the plane and hike. I've been trying them out and they feel really good. I might slip in a pair of short SmartWool. I also got a pair of Teva sandals, lightweight yet super comfy. I still have to get some tiny toiletries and that's it, I think...

Last edited:
Join our full-service guided tour and let us convert you into a Pampered Pilgrim!
@caminka
My daughter had a very lightweight linen loose shirt and skirt, that she bought in a street market in Florence. They used to dry in about 2 hours in the heat. She has lightweight, tech clothing too, but used to prefer wearing the linen.
It probably depends on how thick or thin the linen fabric is.
I have to agree on the tech clothing too. By the time I got to Santiago I couldn't wait to buy a cotton t shirt, I was over polyester by that stage, and no longer concerned about carrying my pack each day.

I have to agree on the tech clothing too. By the time I got to Santiago I couldn't wait to buy a cotton t shirt, I was over polyester by that stage, and no longer concerned about carrying my pack each day.
That's why I love merino wool. It's a natural fabric that wicks well, and doesn't get stinky fast.

“That's why I love merino wool. It's a natural fabric that wicks well, and doesn't get stinky fast.”

I have to agree with this :)
I love merino wool. It makes perfect underwear, socks and mid-layers. It’s warm when you need it to be and cool in the heat ... and, as you say, non stinky.
I used my Icebreakers to sleep in :) Dries quickly, too, and packs light and small.
I did also take a very fine silk camisole to wear under a linen mix Rohan top ... but I had to wash it every day I wore it!

@trecile. I’d love to see the pattern for your merino dresses :)

The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
Thank you! Yes, my boots and backpack arrived a few days ago. I tried on several pair and all is well in that department. I ordered wool compression socks for the plain and hike. I've been trying them out and they feel really good. I might slip in a pair of short SmartWool. I also got a pair of Teva sandals, lightweight
@ gwenc
May your walk be fresh and airy ;)
You’ll be glad of those Tevas, too ... especially at the end of the day :)

Buen Camino!
Thank you!

“That's why I love merino wool. It's a natural fabric that wicks well, and doesn't get stinky fast.”

I have to agree with this :)
I love merino wool. It makes perfect underwear, socks and mid-layers. It’s warm when you need it to be and cool in the heat ... and, as you say, non stinky.
I used my Icebreakers to sleep in :) Dries quickly, too, and packs light and small.
I did also take a very fine silk camisole to wear under a linen mix Rohan top ... but I had to wash it every day I wore it!

@trecile. I’d love to see the pattern for your merino dresses :)
Here's the first dress that I made. I'm working on a new design now. I'll post it when it's done. Screenshot_20180609-190317.jpg

The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.
Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-
@ trecile

Can’t recall ever seeing that for sale, but I’ve lived in a rural part of Wales for many years.
I buy fabric, usually linen, from a woman who buys up excess cloth from clothing and soft-furnishing manufacturers.
I’ll look online.
Thank you for posting the info ... and the photograph :)

I buy my merino jersey from this store, the one I go to is the Newton Rd one, but I see they have other stores and an online site as well. https://thefabricstoreonline.com/
They have a good range of different weights.

We bought nothing special for our first Camino We already had packs from a previous trip - big 60-70l ones that we cinched up with belts, and sandals that we hiked in at home. We took clothes that we wore at home, our camping sleeping bag liners and toiletries from our bathroom.
We thrived.
And returned.
More than once.
love this beacuase it is so easy to get really daunted and bogged down in all the stuff you think you need !!

The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
Thank you! Yes, my boots and backpack arrived a few days ago. I tried on several pair and all is well in that department. I ordered wool compression socks for the plane and hike. I've been trying them out and they feel really good. I might slip in a pair of short SmartWool. I also got a pair of Teva sandals, lightweight yet super comfy. I still have to get some tiny toiletries and that's it, I think...
If your boots and pack arrived a few days before you left, you did not have time to test them. I was amazed in June to meet so many people who had done no real training. They thought they would get stronger as they walked. Could happen. But could also break down as they walked. Brutal blisters, unable to carry pack, people who admitted to hating every minute of it. 100% preventable. Understand your kit. Test your kit. Train before you go. The difference between a great experience or a horrible one. Your choice.

As others have indicated, there are no 'must' have's in terms of Camino gear.

People may have preferences. Or maybe through a number of Caminos they have refined what works best for 'them'. But there are no 'must' haves really.

There might be a general preference for light quick drying clothing, but that is only because they dry faster and can be more comfortable to wear.

But if you are walking in hot weather, heck, anything will dry fast....

Something a little different - two sets of clothes, but wear one each day for walking and the other set each evening.

I’m running out of time to sort this, but this is what I’m looking at. Shorts (or utility kilt) & sport t-shirt for walking, then linen trousers & linen/cotton mix shirt for the afternoon/evening.

The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
I’m running out of time to sort this, but this is what I’m looking at. Shorts (or utility kilt) & sport t-shirt for walking, then linen trousers & linen/cotton mix shirt for the afternoon/evening.

See @Robo ’s post above .... find the most lightweight, quick drying set of clothes for walking (you get two-for-one with convertible trousers ... 😉) and the most lightweight clothes for your evenings ... anything to keep pack-weight down!!
I’ve found great, well-priced ‘walking’ clothes in your home country ... you shouldn’t have any problems. 🙂

And, if you find that you want/need to ‘tweak’ your clothing, the CF has several large towns and cities with outdoor clothing shops.
Just remember to take something to keep the sun off your head and some sunscreen (I hardly ever use this ... I prefer lightweight, protective clothing ... long sleeves etc.)

And ... I wish you a good walk ... may the Camino bring you all you seek ... and more besides!!

Ultreia!!

Hi GW get some anti frictions cream for your feet. If you needs something you wish you had you get on the way. Pareo will serve for many purposes. Take what you have and is well used.
Live savers buff, earphones, sunhat, ultra high sun cream, -Tri-Braided-Clothesline, long sleeve for protection and poles and shades.
There are great lists here. So no worries Spain it’s not the moon they have everything you need.

A couple of useful things that don’t weight much. The red thing is a cutting mat.
The blue thingy is a water bottle holder for any generic water bottle you will find in Spain.The white thing a whistle. The black a lock with an pull out to secure anything from easy walking away.467D49BA-0B2C-4212-B3E9-77FB4BA262B9.jpeg

Last edited:
The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
View attachment 56928View attachment 56928
A couple of useful things that don’t weight much. The red thing is a cutting mat.
The blue thingy is a water bottle holder for any generic water bottle you will find in Spain.The white thing a whistle. The black a lock with an pull out to secure anything from easy walking away.
I'm not able to view any of these pictures

I am going to do something silly, post without checking. You do not need to ‘must’ .

What you have, you have. You will learn. But if you do find technical stuff on sale - go for it!

Last edited by a moderator:

Most read last week in this forum

70+ year old, 5 ft. tall, 110 lb. female hiking the full Northern Route (del Norte). My goal is to carry no more than 12 pounds/5.44 kg. Ideally, I'd like to carry less. I'm planning to use a...
Has anyone tried wearing sun sleeves? Seems they might be good for protection from the sun while also perhaps forgoing the need for a long-sleeve shirt? My concern is whether or not the fit is...
Sorry if this seems trivial, but I leave in 26 days for my first Camino (Frances). I’m finalizing my backpack items figuring what makes the honored Final Cut. Question: I was gonna bring a...
I usually wear Motion Control, but thought I might try something new this year. What are YOUR favorites, and why?
Does anyone have any experience with getting a custom rain cover for an Osprey pack? After 4 different caminos I am now grappling with using my rain suit which I prefer vs a poncho because my...
I walked the Camino Portuguese in September 2023 and loved the experience. I'm looking forward to my next Camino sometime in 2025. Although I didn't need a blanket on the Portuguese, I'm...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.