• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

light sleeping bag

Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
I am certainly no sleeping bag expert, but it does seem very heavy.
And do you really need a bag 4 C bag?
I'm using a 8C bag that weighs 348 gms. (about 8 ozs)
But lighter bags are generally a lot more expensive.
They tend to be a bit 'hi tech' to reduce the weight.

What is you all up pack weight?
Probably a more important consideration.

Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-
I'm travelling light but I know that I can't sleep if I'm cold, and that the weather in the spring in unpredictable!

I am certainly no sleeping bag expert, but it does seem very heavy.
And do you really need a bag 4 C bag?
I'm using a 8C bag that weighs 348 gms. (about 8 ozs)
But lighter bags are generally a lot more expensive.
They tend to be a bit 'hi tech' to reduce the weight.

What is you all up pack weight?
Probably a more important consideration.

It's all a 'trade off' isn't it? ;)
Weight / Warmth / Cost

It's also a very individual thing.
For example, I sleep 'hot'.
My wife sleeps 'cold'.
So we'll add a silk liner to her bag.

But I'm sure other more experienced bag users will have a better perspective to add.

Last edited:
Hi! Does this sleeping bag look suitable for April-May on the Camino Frances? BURTON THE DIRT BAG +4C SLEEPING BAG
https://www.mec.ca/en/product/5048-034/The-Dirt-Bag-%2B4C-Sleeping-Bag
This would serve the purpose, but I think you can do better in terms of weight and probably bulk, as well.

The lightest synthetic bag (good for 7-10C) that I've seen is about 600 g and mummy shaped. You can get a synthetic bag of rectangular shape for about 900 g, but not much less. Only down bags get under 600 g. Anything synthetic that is under 600 g will be more of a liner, or will be mummy shaped which some of us don't like.

I have been happy with this bag, which weighs 950 g and is available in Canada. For the occasional cold night, I supplement it with my down vest, and can layer up in other ways as well, so I consider this to be a good compromise in weight, warmth and cost.

€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.
I use a down bag, if I get cold I sleep in my base layer (long underwear) and a hat. If I am still cold I wear socks and if I am still cold I put on clothes and my jacket. And then if I am still cold, I use an extra blanket that the albergue has. And then if I'm still cold I find someone to turn on the heat.

Last edited:
"Ideal for Car Camping"
That initially rings warning bells.
It indicates both weight and/or volume may be a serious problem for hikers.
Lots of good advice above.

I suggest looking for something with a maximum weight of 800gms that when compressed in a stuff sack takes up minimal room.
In fact, in looking for improvement, I have just replaced my 800gm, 3 season, hooded, mummy down bag, which has served me well on three Caminos with an Aegismax Wind Hard Down Quilt.
At just over US$100 it is well within my budget.
Weighing around 450gms, and being considerably more compact, it adequately filled my "not completely necessary but a distinct improvement," replacement requirements.
It is a Chinese copy of an "Enlightened Equipment Quilt," which I would prefer for qualities sake but which is outside my budget.
Regards
Gerard

Ideal pocket guides for during & after your Camino. Each weighs only 1.4 oz (40g)!
Too heavy and too much insulation than needed for that time of year. Personally I wouldn't pack one that weighs more than 1- 1\2 pounds.

Hi Magnolia,

Not far from you here in Cambridge, ON.

The Dirt bag seems a tad pricey for a blanket and a zipper. And as mentioned by others, kinda on the heavy side. Just my view.

I am no expert either but if I were to give advice here on what I use, it would be wasted as my bag is no longer sold. But it is 1 lb or aboyt 450g, made of light materials and synthetic down type insulation. It comes with two bags, a very large storage bag with tons of ventilation, designed to be hung up to minimize crushing the insulation until you need to and a compression bag for packing away. Cost was about $100 two years ago for a 0 deg C bag.

Consider seeking these kinds of attributes. Minimize weight and your back will thank you. Ensure sufficient insulation and you will get a good night's sleep.

Finally, consider researching a couple of things like newer, less known brands like Naturehike (Chinese) and Vango (UK) as they have some interesting tech in all their offerings, including sleeping bags. The other thing that seems to be coming up fast is something called Solarcore. This is insulation developed by NASA to make space suits less bulky, which means, less material and a lot lighter. But it may be too early for that as a jacket is $80 right now.

Last edited:
Take a look at these. If you are relatively short that is. (Works great for 5’4.). Add some snap buttons to the side of a sleeping bag liner, a matching row on the duvet and voila. (It prevents the duvet from slidding off the bed during the night). You could also add another set of snap buttons on the opposite side of the duvet to turn it into a sleeping bag, while creating a toe box with a drawstring.

https://www.costco.com/Double-Black-Diamond-Packable-Down-Throw-2-pack.product.100314979.html

The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.
Monte bell 1 pounder. Down bag ahhhhh

Happy New Year!

I have numerous down bags ranging from below zero and to a bag for warmer weather, and I found that the best sleeping gear for me on the Camino in May, and even in hot September and then cold November, was my “Backcountry Quilt from Sierra Designs.” The quilts come in various temperature ratings, and the down ones are slightly over one pound and pack down very small. I coupled this with a silk sleeping bag liner, which is also very light, and that gave me the ability to sleep in greatly varying temperature. It’s like sleeping at home with a comforter. If you get hot, just sleep in the liner alone or lay on the quilt, if you get cold, sleep under the quilt, if you get really cold, wrap yourself up and stick your head in the built-in hood. I started using one on backpacking trips in the Sierras where the temperature could swing wildly from freezing to very hot and this allowed me a lot of versatility and kept the weight down. I hope to be back to trek another Camino in May (maybe I’ll see you), and the quilt will definitely be what I will bring.

Buen Camino and have a Great New Year!

Last edited:
Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-
Happy New Year!

I have numerous down bags ranging from below zero and to a bag for warmer weather, and I found that the best sleeping gear for me on the Camino in May, and even in hot September and then cold November, was my “Backcountry Quilt from Sierra Designs.” The quilts come in various temperature ratings, and the down ones are slightly over one pound and pack down very small. I coupled this with a silk sleeping bag liner, which is also very light, and that gave me the ability to sleep in greatly varying temperature. It’s like sleeping at home with a comforter. If you get hot, just sleep in the liner alone or lay on the quilt, if you get cold, sleep under the quilt, if you get really cold, wrap yourself up and stick your head in the built-in hood. I started using one on backpacking trips in the Sierras where the temperature could swing wildly from freezing to very hot and this allowed me a lot of versatility and kept the weight down. I hope to be back to trek another Camino in May (maybe I’ll see you), and the quilt will definitely be what I will bring.

Buen Camino and have a Great New Year!
Hi! Does this sleeping bag look suitable for April-May on the Camino Frances?

BURTON THE DIRT BAG +4C SLEEPING BAG

I bought an AEGISMAX Winter Ultra-Light 95% Goose Down Camping Compact Envelope Sleeping Bag on ebay back in July 2017 - cannot see the listing now ..

Weighed in at around 630 gm (including a pillow case and compression sack). Only used it once (Ronacvalles) and mailed it home from Burgos (regretted that one night in Reliegos, but as I had long themals, this want a major issue)

On our Camino Frances last year in March April my wife and I took these sleeping bags from South Africa: https://www.capeunionmart.co.za/k-way-lite-500-sleeping-bag. It compresses to a very small size and it only weighs 470g. We had the older 400 version but the 500 is the same. We slept in our bags every night and were never cold.

We are doing the Camino Portuguese in March April this year and we are taking the same sleeping bags.

I saw a Japanese guy in O'Cebreiro last year who did not carry any sleeping gear and the albergue did not provide blankets and it was cold.

Hi! Does this sleeping bag look suitable for April-May on the Camino Frances?

BURTON THE DIRT BAG +4C SLEEPING BAG

I'm traveling around the same but starting in Le Puy going through to Finistere, I'm taking a 3 seasons sleeping bag and separate liner. If it's very cold I can use both or if it's warm just the liner, I'd rather carry the extra kilo or so and be comfortable rather than be too hot or too cold.
Have a great walk

Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-
Ultralight backpackers have given up on sleeping bags years ago--too heavy. Now they all use "quilts," basically sleeping bags with no bottom and no hood. We used them on a Portugese Camino this October and they worked great. You don't need insulation on the bottom because the foam mattress takes care of that. And the hood is rarely needed (a hat will suffice). We used Enlightened Equipment (8oz and 11oz, for my wife and I respectively (the make them to size, and she is a hobbit, and I am not)). But also look at Jacks R Better, Burrow Gear, Hammock Gear. The quilts with a drawstring closure on the bottom (that can open or close as needed) gives you a greater level of flexibility if the alburgue is hotter or colder. Buen Camino.

On our Camino Frances last year in March April my wife and I took these sleeping bags from South Africa: https://www.capeunionmart.co.za/k-way-lite-500-sleeping-bag. It compresses to a very small size and it only weighs 470g. We had the older 400 version but the 500 is the same. We slept in our bags every night and were never cold.

We are doing the Camino Portuguese in March April this year and we are taking the same sleeping bags.

I saw a Japanese guy in O'Cebreiro last year who did not carry any sleeping gear and the albergue did not provide blankets and it was cold.
Hi there, I am planning o doing the route this year. What dates did you go last year and how was the weather? Thanks for the sleeping bag recommendation. What shoes did you use and would you use the same shoes this year...... I am in Jolly Jozi

Hi there, I am planning o doing the route this year. What dates did you go last year and how was the weather? Thanks for the sleeping bag recommendation. What shoes did you use and would you use the same shoes this year...... I am in Jolly Jozi
Hi Adedlow We left South Africa on the the 24 of March for 5 weeks. So the last week of March and the whole of April. The weather was fine most of the time and the sun was shining but never to hot. There was frost a couple days early in the morning and a fleece top and buff was warm enough. For the 5 weeks we only had 20 minutes of rain. So the weather was perfect. We each took 2x long hiking pants, 2x shirts, fleece top and rain jacket. I ditched the underwear for gym shorts and it worked perfectly. We took our existing Deuter backpacks which were a bit big. I now found a backpack which only weights 1.3 kg.
In Cape Town we hike a lot in the mountains and I already had Salomon Cosmic 4D2 boots and I used it. For me it worked perfectly and I am going to use it again on the Portuguese this year. My wife however got blisters on the second day wearing the same boots and ended up wearing sandals which she had to replace at Portomarin. The old ones are under a cross somewhere on the on the Camino.
Please ask if you need advise in terms of local products. My pack for Portugal only weighs 4kg.

Join our full-service guided tour and let us convert you into a Pampered Pilgrim!
Yes please, I need all the help I can get as I have never really done any real hiking (other than day trips). I would love your recommendations for all equipment, as I am pretty clueless. I did see the Deuter backpacks onthe Cape Union Mart website but where to start.... do you buy one with a built in bladder, what size etc, etc. As an experienced person, can you recommend what one sleeps on? What on earth does one use as a pillow on the camino? Also, should i take a yoga mat to go onto the albergue beds and then the sleeping bag or is that unneccessary?

You should travel as light as possible. Secondly if your back is to big you will have to check it in. Our bags got delayed last year when it was checked it so this year I will use a pack which is small enough as hand luggage. The bag should be between 35 and 40 L and it will force you to only take the minimum. I now have the TRANGO SALINON 35L+5 pack. It is smaller than the prescribed size of hand luggage and it only weighs 1.3 kg. You can get it at Camp and Climb in Centurion. See the link: http://www.adventurebase.com.au/trango-salinon-35l-5. My Deuter back weighs 3.6 kg!!. It's perfect for my normal hiking and camping but I wanted the smaller bag. Osprey also has smaller bags and you will have to try out a couple. The problem I have is that some of the smaller bags does not have the futures of a proper long distance bag. The TRANGO has all the futures I like and it fits perfectly. I am not using a bladder at all. It is to much trouble to get the bladder back in the bag after filling. There is enough water points on the camino and a 1L bottle worked for me and I attached it with bungee cord to the front straps of the backpack. I don't have to ask someone to hand me my water bottle. T-shirt and gym shorts for sleeping (easy). Leave the silk stuff at home :). You don't need to take apillow - all albergues provide pillows. You might want to take a pillow case but in Spain they use different size pillows then us and you will not find one locally. For the flight take an inflatable pillow and mail it to Ivar when you get there. Leave the yoga mat at home. The mattresses in the Albegues are fine and some will provide you with disposable sheeting and pillow cases.
Remember the corkscrew for the tinto (red wine). Cape Union Mart has the smallest one you get. See the picture below.

Attachments

• worlds-smallest-corkscrew.jpg
    worlds-smallest-corkscrew.jpg
    10 KB · Views: 3
I didn't think there were extra blankets at the albergues...if you know there are, that makes me more at ease! As a pilgrim I don't think I'd ask them to crank up the heat unless it was really, really bad! Maybe I'm getting pilgrim and monk mixed up? haha. At a meditation retreat I go to we are supposed to accept what we are given

I use a down bag, if I get cold I sleep in my base layer (long underwear) and a hat. If I am still cold I wear socks and if I am still cold I put on clothes and my jacket. And then if I am still cold, I use an extra blanket that the albergue has. And then if I'm still cold I find someone to turn on the heat.

Join our full-service guided tour of the Basque Country and let us pamper you!
hee! I didn't have "corkscrew" on my packing list! I'm short so I'm thinking Osprey 33L or 36L

You should travel as light as possible. Secondly if your back is to big you will have to check it in. Our bags got delayed last year when it was checked it so this year I will use a pack which is small enough as hand luggage. The bag should be between 35 and 40 L and it will force you to only take the minimum. I now have the TRANGO SALINON 35L+5 pack. It is smaller than the prescribed size of hand luggage and it only weighs 1.3 kg. You can get it at Camp and Climb in Centurion. See the link: http://www.adventurebase.com.au/trango-salinon-35l-5. My Deuter back weighs 3.6 kg!!. It's perfect for my normal hiking and camping but I wanted the smaller bag. Osprey also has smaller bags and you will have to try out a couple. The problem I have is that some of the smaller bags does not have the futures of a proper long distance bag. The TRANGO has all the futures I like and it fits perfectly. I am not using a bladder at all. It is to much trouble to get the bladder back in the bag after filling. There is enough water points on the camino and a 1L bottle worked for me and I attached it with bungee cord to the front straps of the backpack. I don't have to ask someone to hand me my water bottle. T-shirt and gym shorts for sleeping (easy). Leave the silk stuff at home :). You don't need to take apillow - all albergues provide pillows. You might want to take a pillow case but in Spain they use different size pillows then us and you will not find one locally. For the flight take an inflatable pillow and mail it to Ivar when you get there. Leave the yoga mat at home. The mattresses in the Albegues are fine and some will provide you with disposable sheeting and pillow cases.
Remember the corkscrew for the tinto (red wine). Cape Union Mart has the smallest one you get. See the picture below.

I didn't think there were extra blankets at the albergues...if you know there are, that makes me more at ease! As a pilgrim I don't think I'd ask them to crank up the heat unless it was really, really bad! Maybe I'm getting pilgrim and monk mixed up? haha. At a meditation retreat I go to we are supposed to accept what we are given
I wouldn’t ask for the heating to be cranked up either. You know what they say: a pilgrim gives thanks, a tourist demands. I like monastic. :)

Not all albergues provide blankets. In My experience on the Camino I would guess about 60% of the one's I stayed in did. I know some on this forum hesitate to use albergue provided blankets due to a fear of bedbugs, but I never came in contact with any bedbugs or talked with anyone that did. I was grateful for the blankets when provided and they kept me warm.
If you have doubts about an albergue blanket, just examine and inspect it before you use it.

Ideal pocket guides for during & after your Camino. Each weighs only 1.4 oz (40g)!

Most read last week in this forum

Hi! I'm traveling to Porto tomorrow and starting the Camino on the 19th, the problem is that I've just weighed my pack and it's 2 kilos more than it should be! Should I get rid of some stuff or...
Hello all - thank you all so much for all of the guidance on what is not my only first camino but first hike over about 5 miles! I've headed a lot of advice about backpacks and trekking poles and...
While reading through one of the more recent water bottle vs. hydration bladder debates, I was reminded of something I came across a few weeks ago, bookmarked, and promptly forgot about until said...
I've stopped procrastinating and done my first pack. Was a bit nervous about being under 7kg hand luggage, but on the first try I've come to 5.9kg (13 pounds). (Not counting one set walking...
Hi there! I was on the fence about poles bc I've never used them and as mentioned previously, brand new to hiking. But because I'm in treatment for breast cancer and as such have a decent amount...
Starting our Camino on May 6. Super excited! These forums have been awesome! Doing Coastal Portuguese from Porto with my daughter and her girlfriend. Definitely packing good lightweight rain...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.