• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Light weight seats, chairs, stools

Time of past OR future Camino
June 2018 Camino Frances and March Coastal Portugues
We are planning two Caminos back to back next year - the Portuguese and then the Francais from Logrono to Santiago. We have previously done Pamplona to Santiago in 2019. My husband will be 82 and I will be 76. I can quite happily sit on the ground for a rest and get up again with no problem. He can't sit on the ground and I don't have enough strength to get him upright again. He definitely needs to stop and sit down every kilometre or so. Has anyone used a very light portable seat? Recommendations, please? It needs to be about 500g. (I have searched the internet and all the appropriate ones seem to have gone out of production! )

By the way, he can walk long distances but without sitting down he gets quite unsteady.

Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-
We are planning two Caminos back to back next year - the Portuguese and then the Francais from Logrono to Santiago. We have previously done Pamplona to Santiago in 2019. My husband will be 82 and I will be 76. I can quite happily sit on the ground for a rest and get up again with no problem. He can't sit on the ground and I don't have enough strength to get him upright again. He definitely needs to stop and sit down every kilometre or so. Has anyone used a very light portable seat? Recommendations, please? It needs to be about 500g. (I have searched the internet and all the appropriate ones seem to have gone out of production! )

By the way, he can walk long distances but without sitting down he gets quite unsteady.
You two are an inspiration!
For starters, I think you may find some prospects on Amazon if you search for "ultralight camp stool". Just skimming over the results I saw a couple of three-legged stools that might work for you.

Teez,
Mountain Warehouse also has a three legged stool on special at the moment at half price, weighing 0.5k. This is on their Australian site.
Very best wishes to you both for your Caminos next year, agree with everything Timwalks says, you are both inspirational.
We are also planning to walk a number of Caminos next year but we are 67 and 68 at the moment and are hopeful we will be able to do them.
Buen Camino

Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-
Not a suggestion for a stool (before I get admonished for going off topic again) but if you do find yourself unable to get up you might consider the Spiral method of standing/sitting down; after I had my mini-stroke I found it difficult to rise from the floor unassisted, this helped.
It takes a bit of practice though, try it from a park bench at first.

The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
I have found the very light three-legged folding stools are often a little flimsy, too low and inclined to topple over. Have you considered a combined stool/rucksack of the type often used by fishermen? It would be more than the 500g you are aiming for but then you would not need a separate day pack.

Attachments

• fishing-pack.jpg
    fishing-pack.jpg
    20.8 KB · Views: 14
My dad used to use a lightweight three legged stool, but it was not very stable and it did not allow him to rest his back. The following seem like better stool options: Helinox Speed Stool 0.47kg / 28cm or Black Agnes Skyline UL Stool 510g / 38cm.

You may want to consider something like the Helinox Chair One 0.49kg / 64cm. We use them on canoe trips and they are pretty comfortable. The Vibram Ball Feet (optioinal) prevent the legs of the chair from sinking into the ground.

I haven't tried it myself but the Helinox Chair Zero is just under 500g and available from Amazon. I believe it is currently the lightest backpacker chair. There are cheaper chairs but I believe they are heavier.

St James' Way - Self-guided 4-7 day Walking Packages, Reading to Southampton, 110 kms
My grandmother, who was an avid, daily golfer until her mid-80's had an extendable pole, similar in diameter to a cane; she could set the height herself. On the top was mounted a small seat, similar to a bicycle seat, and it was hinged so that it could fold flat for carrying in her gold bag between stops. At longer stopping points, and when she was a spectator, she could just pop the seat up, extend the pole and take a seat. Advantages: the single pole works on any kind of terrain, and does not require a flat; light-weight; highly portable. Disadvantage: one needs enough balance to use your legs plus the seat as a "tripod"... but if you are walkers, that should not be a concern. I recommend going to an outfitter for golfers, or to a pro-shop to see if you can try one out.

This particular model is not currently available on Amazon.ca, but you will get the idea: https://www.amazon.ca/dp/B01MYU8LJ9/?tag=santiagodec0b-20

Buen Camino

I do alot of back country camping and have a Helinox Chair Zero. It weighs one pound and I love it! My husband has a knockoff brand from Amazon that weighs two pounds. He loves it (it's a bit bigger than mine) but I find it much harder to put together. The weight and ease of use make the higher price tag worth it for me. Hope this helps.

Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-
My grandmother, who was an avid, daily golfer until her mid-80's had an extendable pole, similar in diameter to a cane; she could set the height herself. On the top was mounted a small seat, similar to a bicycle seat, and it was hinged so that it could fold flat for carrying in her gold bag between stops. At longer stopping points, and when she was a spectator, she could just pop the seat up, extend the pole and take a seat. Advantages: the single pole works on any kind of terrain, and does not require a flat; light-weight; highly portable. Disadvantage: one needs enough balance to use your legs plus the seat as a "tripod"... but if you are walkers, that should not be a concern. I recommend going to an outfitter for golfers, or to a pro-shop to see if you can try one out.

This particular model is not currently available on Amazon.ca, but you will get the idea: https://www.amazon.ca/dp/B01MYU8LJ9/?tag=santiagodec0b-20

Buen Camino
Known in the UK as a ‘shooting stick’

Great advice I got before doing Camino was NOT seat, but to bring ac1 metre square sheet of plastic.
Sit your bag on it while you rummage for your poncho...
Or 1 bag + 1 bum,
for a break.
Or 2 bums, for lunch!!
Weight: negligible.
Cost: nothing.
Amazon knockoff: unnecessary.

Buen Camino

Great advice I got before doing Camino was NOT seat, but to bring ac1 metre square sheet of plastic.
Sit your bag on it while you rummage for your poncho...
Or 1 bag + 1 bum,
for a break.
Or 2 bums, for lunch!!
Weight: negligible.
Cost: nothing.
Amazon knockoff: unnecessary.

Buen Camino
Can I reply to myself? I apologise . I didn't see the original question. 82 & 76. Wow, impressive.

€149,-
Not a suggestion for a stool (before I get admonished for going off topic again) but if you do find yourself unable to get up you might consider the Spiral method of standing/sitting down; after I had my mini-stroke I found it difficult to rise from the floor unassisted, this helped.
It takes a bit of practice though, try it from a park bench at first.
I think it's totally on topic! It may still be a challenge for some, but a good tip nonetheless!

Join our full-service guided tour and let us convert you into a Pampered Pilgrim!
Thank you so much for this great advice. I have ordered a couple to try out. We are planning on September/ October 2022 so we have time to get it right.
Planning and training for the Camino is such a good antidote to the feelings of fear and lack of control created by the pandemic. We have had another layer added with prostate surgery for my husband. He is well and healthy at the moment so we are determined to seize the day while we can!

Thank you so much for this great advice. I have ordered a couple to try out. We are planning on September/ October 2022 so we have time to get it right.
Planning and training for the Camino is such a good antidote to the feelings of fear and lack of control created by the pandemic. We have had another layer added with prostate surgery for my husband. He is well and healthy at the moment so we are determined to seize the day while we can!
Wishing you smooth sailing, effortless recovery for your husband… and many happy days of walking together.

Join our full-service guided tour and let us convert you into a Pampered Pilgrim!

My sister mailed me a flexlite chair to France when I was on my Le Puy Camino. It is 16 ounces and was super helpful when I sprained my ankle.

Attachments

• B1276C6B-BF59-4512-A7A5-09144EFEEDE3.png
    B1276C6B-BF59-4512-A7A5-09144EFEEDE3.png
    2.2 MB · Views: 9

Most read last week in this forum

70+ year old, 5 ft. tall, 110 lb. female hiking the full Northern Route (del Norte). My goal is to carry no more than 12 pounds/5.44 kg. Ideally, I'd like to carry less. I'm planning to use a...
Has anyone tried wearing sun sleeves? Seems they might be good for protection from the sun while also perhaps forgoing the need for a long-sleeve shirt? My concern is whether or not the fit is...
Sorry if this seems trivial, but I leave in 26 days for my first Camino (Frances). I’m finalizing my backpack items figuring what makes the honored Final Cut. Question: I was gonna bring a...
I usually wear Motion Control, but thought I might try something new this year. What are YOUR favorites, and why?
Does anyone have any experience with getting a custom rain cover for an Osprey pack? After 4 different caminos I am now grappling with using my rain suit which I prefer vs a poncho because my...
I walked the Camino Portuguese in September 2023 and loved the experience. I'm looking forward to my next Camino sometime in 2025. Although I didn't need a blanket on the Portuguese, I'm...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.