• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Lightening My Load Before I Go

Maduggan

Time of past OR future Camino
Le Puy 2018, Primitivo 2017, Portugues and Muxia 2016, Frances and Finesterre 2015
My brother and I will be leaving Leon for the Camino on June 5th, and we are both first-timers. I weighed my pack today, and it was almost 20 lbs (9kg). I would like to get it down to 16lbs (7kg) and so I am now eyeing its contents for things to leave at home. (I am not bringing a sleeping bag, so I can't cut there, and I am not bringing a sleeping mat.) Here is what I am initially thinking of cutting out:
  • A lightweight Columbia down jacket - will this be needed between Leon and Santiago in June?
  • Flip flops for the shower - I also have a pair of camp shoes that probably can get wet in the shower.
  • Pillowcase - I have an inflatable pillow
I also am facing the fact that my beautiful writing journal is just too heavy.

What is your opinion on the Columbia jacket, flip flops, and pillowcase? Any other advice for lightening my load?

Join our full-service guided tour and let us convert you into a Pampered Pilgrim!
My brother and I will be leaving Leon for the Camino on June 5th, and we are both first-timers. I weighed my pack today, and it was almost 20 lbs (9kg). I would like to get it down to 16lbs (7kg) and so I am now eyeing its contents for things to leave at home. (I am not bringing a sleeping bag, so I can't cut there, and I am not bringing a sleeping mat.) Here is what I am initially thinking of cutting out:
  • A lightweight Columbia down jacket - will this be needed between Leon and Santiago in June?
  • Flip flops for the shower - I also have a pair of camp shoes that probably can get wet in the shower.

What is your opinion on the Columbia jacket, flip flops, and pillowcase? Any other advice for lightening my load?
Jacket-no
Flip flops -maybe- test your others in shower and see how that works
Pillow case-maybe
Inflatable pillow -no
Journal - no, use notes or some other app and transfer/rewrite at home if desired.

Hola, Maduggan!

I would leave at home down jacket (which you won't need in June if you have at least one thin long sleeved fleece/anorak) and pillowcase. I would take flipflops and leave them camp shoes (as they're probably heavier) at home. But 9 kilos is OK with me on the other hand ;)

Do take your journal but lighter version maybe :)

If you'll find anything you don't really need there's still possibility to send stuff ahead to Santiago.

Ultreia!

A guide to speaking Spanish on the Camino - enrich your pilgrim experience.
I just completed my third Camino with my backpack weighing 5.45 kilos. Remember if you think you might need something, take it out. Only pack those things you absolutely know you will absolutely need every day. Spain has stores. If it turns out you forgot something you can buy it there.

Last edited:
Do NOT worry about weight. You will get used to it. My novia swears that she will NOT walk the Camino again without carrying a hair dryer and a BIG plush towel. We slept on floors 3 times last year and would not walk without a sleeping bag and pad. Sleeping bag and Pad are worthwhile if you want to sleep in the woods or fields like a lot of young people do for a couple nights.

Do NOT get obsessed with weight! Wait until you see what the young women from Korea carry! Like earmuffs for cold mornings! And pots and pans for cooking!

ALWAYS carry something of comfort and ignore what it weights. Loved the Italian girls that had BIG stuffed animals on their packs that they used for pillows at night--they said they did not care what those stuffed animals weighed and they carried them from SJPDP to Santiago.

And I still don't know how the two young women we saw managed to each carry a baby under 6 months old and backpacks full of their stuff and baby needs all of the way to Santiago.

You are tougher than you think.

Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-
I just completed my third Camino with my backpack weighing 5.45 kilos. Remember if you think you might need something, take it out. Only pack those things you absolutely know you will absolutely need every day. Spain has stores. If it turns out you forgot something you can buy it there.
Hi Robert
Im planning my Camino right now, I would be interested to know your equipment list of what you took to get the weight down?
Did this weight include the backpack? If so, what brand/ model is it?
Thank you

Xin Loi is correct. No matter what you are carrying, eventually you will get used to it. One of the metaphors of the Camino. Of course you can always get rid of stuff you truly don't need. I left behind my boots and a down vest on the second day because even though we walked through snow and in the rain, all I needed was a sweater, poncho, gloves, and my very comfortable running shoes.

The things I could NOT live without on the Camino in April and May:
Sleeping sack
Poncho (be sure to get one that covers your pack)
Gloves
Scarf (I didn't have a hat)
Walking Poles (eventually I stopped using these, but they were an absolute MUST in the beginning especially in the snow)
Second Skin for blisters (this stuff is miraculous and immediately eased all blister pain)
Small scissors to cut Second Skin
Water bottles (we had one each and always had enough water)
Food (just something small to picnic on if needed)
Swiss Army Knife (mostly for cutting salami and cheese)
Two quick dry T-shirts
Quick dry long sleeved shirt with hood
Warm sweater
Two pairs of capri pants (I wish they would have been quick dry)
Phone for booking ahead (needed to do on the weekend in April and May), keeping notes, listening to great music and books, AND taking pictures!
Charger and adapter
Three pairs of underwear
Three pairs of great, cushy hiking socks
Something to sleep in
Tooth brush
Hair brush
Deodorant
Sun Screen
Guide Book
Advil!
A couple of different sets of insoles for my running shoes. These really helped change up the pressure points on my feet and provided instant relief when some new pain would begin throbbing.

Things I could live without, but glad I had:
Small light-weight blanket I bought for 5 euros on Norwegian Air. This came in handy for sleeping and picnic lunches.
Nice blouse for evenings (especially in the cities)
Extra bra (it's a sweaty place)
Comfortable sandals (I would almost put this in the Must Have category because it felt great to get my smelly, filthy running shoes off at night).
Make-up (just the basics)
Very light laptop originally for work which we didn't do, but we ended up using it for photos.
Head-lamp (we didn't use it, but we did arrive in the dark once, and it was good to know we had it)

Things I never used:
knee brace bandage
clothing line
cards
down vest
thermal underwear
hiking boots (my husband used his boots and got rid of his running shoes). The best thing is to make sure whatever shoes you have are comfortable for three or four miles of steep downhill.

Things I wish I had:
A quick-dry towel
An extra pair of eyeglasses (my husband's and my glasses both broke along the way; he was able to repair his. I had to buy some reading glasses in Leon, but that did not solve my other eyesight problems).

I hope that helps with your planning. It was a wonderful experience carrying what we needed on our backs. By the end, we didn't even think twice about the packs.

Do NOT worry about weight. You will get used to it. My novia swears that she will NOT walk the Camino again without carrying a hair dryer and a BIG plush towel. We slept on floors 3 times last year and would not walk without a sleeping bag and pad. Sleeping bag and Pad are worthwhile if you want to sleep in the woods or fields like a lot of young people do for a couple nights.

Do NOT get obsessed with weight! Wait until you see what the young women from Korea carry! Like earmuffs for cold mornings! And pots and pans for cooking!

ALWAYS carry something of comfort and ignore what it weights. Loved the Italian girls that had BIG stuffed animals on their packs that they used for pillows at night--they said they did not care what those stuffed animals weighed and they carried them from SJPDP to Santiago.

And I still don't know how the two young women we saw managed to each carry a baby under 6 months old and backpacks full of their stuff and baby needs all of the way to Santiago.

You are tougher than you think.

Thanks you for your Comment ,,, You really made me think out of the weight Issue and let me concentrate of other things ,,,, After all 1 or 2 Kg in PLus won't be a Problem ,,,

Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-

I agree. Cut these items out. Instead of flip flops I found a very light weight pair of woman's crocs - waterproof for the shower and comfortable to walk in around town. Regarding the journal, I think that is a personal choice. I find moleskine journals are lightweight and great quality...but not special or pretty. Some people are inspired and love writing in a nice journal. You may decide it is worth the weight.

Hi Robert
Im planning my Camino right now, I would be interested to know your equipment list of what you took to get the weight down?
Did this weight include the backpack? If so, what brand/ model is it?
Thank you

Contents of backpack: one pair of pants, one t-shirt, one pair of underwear, three pairs of socks, poncho, one light-weight stocking cap, one light-weight pair of gloves, one light-weight pair of tennis shoes, toothbrush, toothpaste, contact solution, contacts case, Compeed bandages, bandaides, small bottle of sunscreen, one light-weight spork, concentrated laundry soap, guidebook, cell phone, cell phone charger, adaptor plug. Total weight of backpack and contents at the airport = 12 pounds (or 5.45 kilos).

Physically on me: one t-shirt, one pair of underwear, one pair of pants, one pair of socks, boots, one super light-weight (but expensive) Arc'teryx jacket (well worth the expense), baseball hat, and trekking poles.

My backpack was a super light-weight Osprey Exos 58. But I do not recommend it unless it fits you. One of the biggest mistakes that people make is not being fitted for a backpack by a professional. What fits me may (and probably does) not fit you.

The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
have a look downstairs to the right of the bathrooms in the big refugio in Roncesvalles and you will see shelving with piles - PILES! of clothing and random items jettisoned by pilgrims after just one day walking. Weight matters and a few kms at home is not the same as carrying that pack all day on rough terrain with steep ascents and descents. Especially when you have added water and food.

So. my opinion is that to pack light is the way to go - and here is the thing; Spain has shops, you can buy all sorts of things over there, so if you do need something you can pick it up on the way.

Buen Camino ;)

have a look downstairs to the right of the bathrooms in the big refugio in Roncesvalles and you will see shelving with piles - PILES! of clothing and random items jettisoned by pilgrims after just one day walking. Weight matters and a few kms at home is not the same as carrying that pack all day on rough terrain with steep ascents and descents. Especially when you have added water and food.

So. my opinion is that to pack light is the way to go - and here is the thing; Spain has shops, you can buy all sorts of things over there, so if you do need something you can pick it up on the way.

Buen Camino ;)
Or you can just bring stuff for that first day from SJPdP to Roncesvalles and stock up in the albergue there :D

I'm sure if you check your pack, there are probably other things besides, the journal, pillowcase, etc that are contributing to the weight. I am not a gram counter by any means but lighter is better within reason. You don't want to be miserable.

1 or 2 kilos will add up, especially if you haven't factored in the weight of water you might be carrying.

I wish we would also get rid of this trite saying of "take what you need not what you want". I'm fairly certain that people initially bring what they need, but needs change in the reality of the situation.

Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-
I am overwhelmed by all the support - thank you for sharing your wisdom. Pete1070, my backpack is an ultra-light Osprey model - it is awesome and weighs nearly nothing. Anniesantiago suggested I share my list in case others have advice on what to cut out. Here goes:

Equipment
Bed liner
Inflatable pillow
Water bottle
Rain cover for backpack
Money belt
Head lamp

Clothing
2 pr. shorts
2 t-shirts
1 long sleeve shirt
1 pr. pants
2 bras
3 undies
2 pr. socks
Jacket
Flip flops
Poncho
Boots w/orthotics
Camp shoes
Sunglasses
Hat

Toiletries
Towel
Moisturizer
Sunscreen
Reading glasses
Hair pick
Hair ties
1 razor
Deodorant
1st aid kit (blister bandaids)
Body wash
Shampoo/conditioner
Toothbrush/paste/floss
Medications
½ roll toilet paper
Ziplock baggies
Ear plugs
Eyedrops
Night mask
knee brace
Plastic bag for clothes
Tweezers
Mirror

Essentials
Plastic cover for important papers
Passport
Airline e-tix
Wallet
Credit cards
Insurance card
Copies of documents
Pilgrim passport
Camino guide
Journal
Pens
Phone & charger
Converter plug
Kindle & charger
Fitbit & charger
Clothesline and pins

There are so many factors that will influence how well someone carries a load: their age, their health, their body weight, their fitness level, their nutrition, what they ate or drank the night before, how they slept, the fellow walker they feel they must keep up with, the weather, the terrain conditions, their mental state...

The less weight you carry the more likely you will be able to put one foot in front of another in front of another in front of another.

Anyone who gives you a flippant reply verging on ‘oh piffle don’t be so stupid as to worry about weight, in fact carry more’ is not your friend.

If you can’t get your pack weight down and it does prove to threaten your ability to continue on the Camino, be prepared to jettison items along the way or ship them home (as I did in 2009 in Estella).

It certainly is best to lighten the load before you leave home rather then lighten it after you start. I left SJPDP at 22 Lbs last May 2014 but by the time I made it to Pamplona I was at a very easy 18 Lbs. Carried that 18 Lbs all the way to Santiago.
I had loads of new friends who enjoyed all my hand me downs!!!!!
:)

The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.
Put a kindle app on your phone?
Download maps and info onto your phone?
Books are heavy: a journal and a guidebook?
Yep, lose the camp shoes and go with crocs?
Bodywash?? why? you have shampoo? Liquids are heavy.
Why a razor?
Why deodorant, if you're wearing quick dry and showering daily?

This will be my first Camino too, but these all could be jettisoned?

Inflatable pillow (not necessary)

Head lamp (use the light on your phone)

2 pr. Shorts (you can only wear 1 pair at a time)

Take camp shoes OR flip flops, not both

Towel (microfibre is a lot lighter than an ordinary towel)

Mirror (there are mirrors in most bathrooms)

Wallet (something lightweight)

Journal (something lightweight)

Pens (one pen, singular)

Phone & charger, Converter plug, Kindle & charger, Fitbit & charger (THREE chargers? Re-think the electronics)

Clothesline (not necessary)

I agree with all the above except maybe the clothes line. IF you sometimes stay in hostals rather than albergues, they don't all provide somewhere to hang your clothes... But really not essential :)
Although....I used mine quite often to keep the window open (but that's another thread) ;)

A selection of Camino Jewellery
Don't leave your journal / notebook / paper and pencil recording method behind. I still have my logs from 1960's Boy Scout hikes and my diaries from journeys across many parts of this beautiful planet, lately a Moleskine (no plug, no sponsorship) notebook of each and every Camino. They take me to places Google will never reach :cool:

New Original Camino Gear Designed Especially with The Modern Peregrino In Mind!
I agree with all the above except maybe the clothes line. IF you sometimes stay in hostals rather than albergues, they don't all provide somewhere to hang your clothes... But really not essential :)
Although....I used mine quite often to keep the window open (but that's another thread) ;)
Agreed Dom. There a few times that there was no place to hang my clothes so having the ability to string up a quick and very lightweight line was the difference for me to have dry clothes. I often found that others used spaces on my line as well.....Good for everyone.

If you are wanting to get the overall weight of your pack and contents down start with your backpack.
I purchased a ZPack backpack for my Camino in 2013 with an extra liner to ensure complete waterproofing.
This turned out to be a sensational pack and weighed a scant 17 oz. Really., I didn't need the extra liner as they sealed the seams as an extra precaution.
My only concern before starting was the pack might not be so durable. This turned out not to be a worry and I am planing to use the same pack again next year.
Highly recommended....and no, I don't work for ZPack. (just a fan)
Have a great Camino and don't forget....your water is probably the heaviest item you will carry.

Maduggan,

The best advice I ever got for lightening a load was to weigh everything (including alternatives you have considered) in grams and write them down (if you write on computers, there are free programs available online). That one exercise will force you to really consider each item.

Here are my thoughts on gear after walking last summer: https://www.caminodesantiago.me/com...id-not-for-a-summer-camino.31137/#post-304777

After reading that, you'll understand that when reading your list I cringed on the boots. In the end, I spent too much time worrying about what was on my back. I should have been worried about what was on my feet.

I would also think about taking only long sleeve shirts and long pants--they weigh barely more than the shorts or short sleeves, and you would be able to eliminate one top and one bottom. I find them cooler than walking with the sun on my skin in summer (we saw some fabulous sunburns).

Also, think about shampoo, conditioner and body wash. Anything with liquid in it is heavy. Think bar soap and bar shampoos (or just bar soap).

I would not take the down jacket, or the pillow (the albuergues all had them). I scanned my guidebooks and put them on my Kindle (huge weight savings). I would take the headlamp because I ended up walking early to beat the heat of the day, and a phone light is just not strong enough for that.

YMMV.

Ultreia,
Jo Jo

Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
I took a Moleskine cahier journal.
31zWtNb8J6L.jpg
A 3 pack of these is fairly cheap, and I found them great for journaling on the Camino. They come with graph, ruled, or plain paper and a small sleeve inside for small tickets and other papers.
Rambler

I used an app on my phone for my journal - and kept a blog. This time (Camino Portugues) I am posting my kindle to Santiago - I'll just have to live without it until then. Do you really need your fitbit?
They may not weigh much, but lose one pair of undies - 2 in the pack is enough - you will be wearing one. Also use zip off pants so your pants double as shorts in the heat. I have not weighed my pack yet - but am aiming for just over 7kg with water and snacks. Last time on the CF we transported a bag so this time is going to be very different. You could leave copies of documents with a friend back home and just keep e copies on your phone. Buen Camino

Most read last week in this forum

Hi! I'm traveling to Porto tomorrow and starting the Camino on the 19th, the problem is that I've just weighed my pack and it's 2 kilos more than it should be! Should I get rid of some stuff or...
My son has advised me to delete unnecessary apps, books, podcasts, downloaded videos etc from my iPhone. Saves up to 250gms. Great weight saving hack.
Hello all - thank you all so much for all of the guidance on what is not my only first camino but first hike over about 5 miles! I've headed a lot of advice about backpacks and trekking poles and...
While reading through one of the more recent water bottle vs. hydration bladder debates, I was reminded of something I came across a few weeks ago, bookmarked, and promptly forgot about until said...
I've stopped procrastinating and done my first pack. Was a bit nervous about being under 7kg hand luggage, but on the first try I've come to 5.9kg (13 pounds). (Not counting one set walking...
Hi there! I was on the fence about poles bc I've never used them and as mentioned previously, brand new to hiking. But because I'm in treatment for breast cancer and as such have a decent amount...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.