• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Lighting candles in Spain for the dead

peregrina2000

Staff member
Some Spanish friends have alerted me to the fact that tonight at 9 pm (about 40 minutes from now if my time zones are correct), people all over the country will go out on the balcony for a moment of silence with a candle. Though it is just lunch time where I am, I am planning to go stand outside with a candle lit. Maybe that’s a silly thing to do, but it seems like the right thing.

That article notes that 86% of the dead are over 70 years old. In my state, many thousands of miles away, an infant has died.

The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
Laurie,
What a beautiful gesture of camaraderie this is.
It is night here in France. Although all the country is confined and the night dark and windy I shall stand on our hillside facing southwest towards Spain holding a candle while weeping in memoriam.

Last edited:
Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-
Among my most profound memories of walking 4 Caminos is not the stunning landscape nor the incredible architecture, but the older Spanish people. I remember the 94 year old man who proudly showed his church in Artieda, the lady somewhere along the Meseta who gave me a handfull of candy saying, "I want you to have this", the gentleman who invited me to rest on his bench with him while we chatted about our day, the man who stopped me to talk after I greeted him with "Buenos dias!" and others. I feel immensely privileged and honored that these people would share something of their lives with me, an outsider non-Spanish and am sad to think that they might be among those who have had their last Camino.

Last edited:
The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
Some Spanish friends have alerted me to the fact that tonight at 9 pm (about 40 minutes from now if my time zones are correct), people all over the country will go out on the balcony for a moment of silence with a candle. Though it is just lunch time where I am, I am planning to go stand outside with a candle lit. Maybe that’s a silly thing to do, but it seems like the right thing.

That article notes that 86% of the dead are over 70 years old. In my state, many thousands of miles away, an infant has died.
I don’t have a balcony and no one can see my house, but I do have white lights strung in all my porches, so every night until this is over I will turn on the lights at 9PM. On the east coast of the US I think that is 4PM? Si o no?

Hola Laurie and Margaret, I missed this post - logged off early evening. So will light up tonight for the people of Spain. My local radio news tells me that another 800+ people died on Saturday. So sad. I am now strongly doubting I will get to walk the Porto in September or any time in 2020.😢

I don’t have a balcony and no one can see my house, but I do have white lights strung in all my porches, so every night until this is over I will turn on the lights at 9PM. On the east coast of the US I think that is 4PM? Si o no?
No, it’s 3 pm. I always get it mixed up, so I usually revert to a website like this one.

Ideal pocket guides for during & after your Camino. Each weighs only 1.4 oz (40g)!
No, it’s 3 pm. I always get it mixed up, so I usually revert to a website like this one.

My clock on my Galaxy (Android) can give me "world time" by just logging in the city. It's the only way I can ever keep these pesky time zones straight. 🙃

God bless Spain and look kindly on her. So many warm memories of wonderful, caring people. 💔

The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.
I was asleep, and missed this most touching thread.
But a candle is lit. The time matters less than the connection.
And that's never silly.
Thank you, Laurie.
😢
Hi - I'm a mental health nurse in Perth WA and our death starting to rise / just read these threads and thinking of the trip.i was taking in 2 weeks and the lovely people referred to .May the Spirit of life be with us all.

A selection of Camino Jewellery
My candle for Spain and the beautiful people whom I met along the Camino during 2.5 walks, is burning 24 hours. My heart breaks to think that some of these lovely, special folk may well lose their lives to this horrible Corona Scourge. My love and prayers to all the people of Spain...

The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
If you do not have candles, but you have solar yard lights, you can unscrew those little tops off of the stakes and they make perfect tea lights. During the day you turn them upside down and charge them - at night you flip them over and Voila! you have a tea light. I do this all the time in my van

Not a silly thing at all. ❤

That is so sad. Especially for those who would have died alone!

Join our full-service guided tour of the Basque Country and let us pamper you!
Among my most profound memories of walking 4 Caminos is not the stunning landscape nor the incredible architecture, but the older Spanish people. I remember the 94 year old man who proudly showed his church in Artieda, the lady somewhere along the Meseta who gave me a handfull of candy saying, "I want you to have this", the gentleman who invited me to rest on his bench with him while we chatted about our day, the man who stopped me to talk after I greeted him with "Buenos dias!" and others. I feel immensely privileged and honored that these people would share something of their lives with me, an outsider non-Spanish and am sad to think that they might be among those who have had their last Camino.
I remember the older folks I met along the way. My first day on my first Camino I met an old man probably 90s walking a small child in a carriage. I was sitting on a stone wall having some water. He came up to me talking in Spanish which I didn't’ understand. I politely said no espanol but he wanted to talk. He had to give me something a cookie, a small wrapped candy, and a walnut. Then went on his way I can’t forget it. Lastly a older woman I’m 73 now saw me walking down the road last year while she was hanging out her washing. I was going the wrong way she waving frantically told me to stop. Then came to the road to walk me back to where I was supposed to going. Love these folks just two of many of interactions I’ve had. I’d love to give them a hug.

Most read last week in this forum

Greetings all. I was scheduled to start in Porto in a few days. Went for a 20 km hike yesterday (my longest thus far) and almost didn’t make it. By the time I got home, I could hardly walk...
I have a confession. I am terrified of - and yes now feel free to laugh - the top bed in bunks with no railing/fence (something to stop you falling out). I've managed to get away with it except...
This is the latest fad for Camino stay out of the wind and woods 🤗.
One way or another, you need to see this movie! We were lucky enough this evening to attend the 'World Premiere' that was followed by a Q&A Session with: Writer / Director / Producer - Bill...
Did it make a difference in your short term, long term and lifetime? Did it change your soul..or chain it forevermore to some dusty track in Spain Are you in the ever present because of it, or...
Yes, pardon me. So I've just read this cool article about the closing of the Puerta del Perdón in the Monastery of Santo Toribio for the holy year (and it is a very beautiful peurta for sure). It...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back