• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Lightload Towel, has anyone used one?

PaulCat

Time of past OR future Camino
June (2015) & June/July (2018)
Ran across these Lightload Towels on Amazon and I am intrigued by them. Has anyone used them?

I typically use an Original Packtowl that I like. But These intrigue me becuase of the price.

Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
Ran across these Lightload Towels on Amazon and I am intrigued by them. Has anyone used them?

I typically use an Original Packtowl that I like. But These intrigue me becuase of the price.
Yes, I have used light load towels many times. Two important points.
1. They are reusable but still disposable. If you stay in albergues and use it every day it's not going to last. They fray and eventually the fibers pull apart

2. They are a wonderful backup towel weighing 0.5 oz or just bring two.
I stay in a combination of albergues and hotels and I am bringing one knowing from experience it will last that long.
But if you want a comfy towel, I agree with the person who said bring a piece of a cotton towel.
I am not fussy and have used a cotton handkerchief ....so to each their own.

I still like my baby muslin wrap the most. Weighs next to nothing and dries in minutes and does not stink. Packs down to next to nothing too.

Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
I still like my baby muslin wrap the most. Weighs next to nothing and dries in minutes and does not stink. Packs down to next to nothing too.
I always wonder exactly how much "next to nothing" weighs. You can manage to accumulate about a kilo's worth of stuff that weighs "next to nothing". :)

I like my ultralight Packtowl. The body size (25" x 54") weighs just 3.4 ounces. I actually bought the larger "beach" size because I found it on sale. I cut it down to approximately the same size as my bath towels at home, and it weighs 4 ounces. It's much bigger, and a couple of ounces lighter than the Sea to Summit Pocket Towel that i used previously. I also like the feel of it better. I used a scrap that I had cut off to wrap my soap to keep it dry.

Last edited:
I always wonder exactly how much "next to nothing" weighs. You can manage to accumulate about a kilo's worth if stuff that weighs "next to nothing". :)

I like my ultralight Packtowl. The body size (25" x 54") weighs just 3.4 ounces. I actually bought the larger "beach" size because I found it on sale. I cut it down to approximately the same size as my bath towels at home, and it weighs 4 ounces. It's much bigger, and a couple of ounces lighter than the Sea to Summit Pocket Towel that i used previously. I also like the feel of it better. I used a scrap that I had cut off to wrap my soap to keep it dry.
I have several items in my pack that I claim weigh "next to nothing", but you are right that they can add up. ;)
My favorite towel for the Camino is an infant cotton flannel towel. It absorbs very well, dries fast, packs small and I purchased it at Goodwill for $1 US, a tip from a forum member a few years ago. I just weighed it and it comes in at a "next to nothing" 3.2 oz....a winner in my book!

I always wonder exactly how much "next to nothing" weighs. You can manage to accumulate about a kilo's worth if stuff that weighs "next to nothing". :)

It weighs 65 grams

New Original Camino Gear Designed Especially with The Modern Peregrino In Mind!
It is about 100 cm square and I got mine at an op shop. You can get them in baby shops or buy a metre or so of muslin at a fabric shop and sew over the edges. Actually, I just weighed it again and it is 80 grams, double thickness. The lightest option is a Japanese Towel. This weighs 48 grams and the dimensions are 100 cm by 33 cm. I prefer the dimension of the baby muslin. The large size of these towels would weigh just under 100 grams and would be really luxurious indeed.
Here are some lightweight Japanese towels, much more environmentally friendly than the usual travel towels available and they don't stink.
https://ottoloom.co.nz/products/moku-lightweight-sports-towel

Last edited:

When u do trekking exotic places where is hard to dry on wet, i bring cottonmade toweling nappy, it looks like quadrat shape light transparent cotton made pampers for old time dressing baby( before was plastic pampers). Its super light and dry fast, and enough absorbing to wash long hair, too. You can find it online if not local shops for baby, they promote it these days as eco ptoduct to save planet

Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-
went to the charity shop to get a cheap muslin baby wrap to try. Very compact, dries fast and dries me surprisingly well. ☺

My favorite towel for the Camino is an infant cotton flannel towel. It absorbs very well, dries fast, packs small and I purchased it at Goodwill for $1 US, a tip from a forum member a few years ago. I just weighed it and it comes in at a "next to nothing" 3.2 oz.
The Packtowl body size 25"/64 cm x 54"/137cm that completely wraps around my body weighs only 3.4 ounces/100 grams

As an alternative to a microlight towel i find a piece of ordinary plastic carrier bag is more absorbent, also has the advantage of not remaining damp. my microlight towel has the amazing ability to not dry my body but get itself damp at the same time. Surely some sort of magic going on.

Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-
As an alternative to a microlight towel i find a piece of ordinary plastic carrier bag is more absorbent, also has the advantage of not remaining damp. my microlight towel has the amazing ability to not dry my body but get itself damp at the same time. Surely some sort of magic going on.
I dislike microfiber towels, too! Funny observations you've made! 😂

For years my camino towel has been/was an old-fashioned cotton seersucker dishtowel.
Banal but absorbent and lightweight, it also dries quickly after use.

I used a cotton sarong last year during my Camino. I had one of these and a lightweight hiking towel, but found the sarong dried quicker and had other uses such as a curtain on the bottom bunk if you're in bed early.

€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.
The luxury version is a japanese lightweight towel, super absorbant and quick drying. I think the brand is Kontex by Ottoloom. They set you back about 60 dollars NZ.

Most read last week in this forum

70+ year old, 5 ft. tall, 110 lb. female hiking the full Northern Route (del Norte). My goal is to carry no more than 12 pounds/5.44 kg. Ideally, I'd like to carry less. I'm planning to use a...
Has anyone tried wearing sun sleeves? Seems they might be good for protection from the sun while also perhaps forgoing the need for a long-sleeve shirt? My concern is whether or not the fit is...
Sorry if this seems trivial, but I leave in 26 days for my first Camino (Frances). I’m finalizing my backpack items figuring what makes the honored Final Cut. Question: I was gonna bring a...
I usually wear Motion Control, but thought I might try something new this year. What are YOUR favorites, and why?
Does anyone have any experience with getting a custom rain cover for an Osprey pack? After 4 different caminos I am now grappling with using my rain suit which I prefer vs a poncho because my...
I walked the Camino Portuguese in September 2023 and loved the experience. I'm looking forward to my next Camino sometime in 2025. Although I didn't need a blanket on the Portuguese, I'm...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.