• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Lightload Towel

St James' Way - Self-guided 4-7 day Walking Packages, Reading to Southampton, 110 kms
The ones you have featured here seem a little on the small side to be much use unless you are on a beach "wiping" off the main water leaving you damp, and letting the rest evaporate in the sunshine!
But yes do I like them other brands,they come in, several sizes, Hand and Bath sizes all of them roll up, the bath one into a bag same size as to fit over trousers in .They soak up the water and do leave you nice and dry, and they quickly dry out too. But quite expensive to buy see att pic for idea of size to put in your pack. eg:both these would squeeze into one of those boots no problem at all.

Attachments

• DSC03268.JPG
    DSC03268.JPG
    2.6 MB · Views: 57
Last edited:
Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-
I agree with Peregrina2000 that some of these towels feel clammy and develop a slight odor that I don't care for - even when they are laundered in a machine. I'm going to try a piece of muslin this time - if it doesn't work the way I want it to (I don't need to get totally dry), I'll get a small "waffle" hand towel along the way.

I've tried microfiber towels, travel towels, and a simple home made square of muslin.
The microfiber towels just seem to smear the water around.
The travel towels are pretty much the same.
The muslin worked great, just didn't hold a lot of water.

The best thing I found was an old worn out piece of terrycloth toweling.

Ideal pocket guides for during & after your Camino. Each weighs only 1.4 oz (40g)!
Like Laurie on #4? towels are not worth it, had a light sarong, material almost see through but rolled into v small bag, multi use, scarf, over head against v strong sun and wrap for going to coming from shower. But a t shirt and pants do fine for that too. I got a piece of towel, made a little bag, it size of a tea towel, now carry any items to shower, clean clothes etc, hang up (if poss) then use it to dry, put items back in damp bag , wash all! Even a large wash cloth is sufficient to dry you. The older more use/worn out the better....maybe same could be said for us!

Just checked those links: Laurie! those are posh towels you are carrying...
The ultralight first poster.. is actually a good buy, we bought on Amazon, it does not pack back down once you take it out of pressurised pack, it needs a lot of use before it dries you well, and then you lose it and buy a tea towel in the next town.

Last edited:
I agree with Peregrina2000 that some of these towels feel clammy and develop a slight odor that I don't care for - even when they are laundered in a machine. I'm going to try a piece of muslin this time - if it doesn't work the way I want it to (I don't need to get totally dry), I'll get a small "waffle" hand towel along the way.
Yes, I'd vote for muslin - I carry 2 pieces, about a metre square each - first one gets most of the wet off, then stand on it to finish with the other. Both dry out really quickly, and don't seem to take on any odour...
For minor washes (anything much short of a shower) my buff makes a good towel.

€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.
Laurie, which size do you order?
Do you take the waffle towel?

Hi, Annie, my towel is the "hair towel" size, and it's not the waffle fabric. That must be a new thing, or at least new in the last 8 years, which is probably how long I've been using my aquis. Don't get me wrong, I'm not saying it's absorbent like a big fluffy cotton towel, but it does the job and is superior to all other brands I've tried, like packtowel, something at REI, and I can't remember the rest.

For years my camino towel has been an old-fashioned cotton seersucker dishtowel.
Banal but absorbent and lightweight, it also dries quickly after use.

Join our full-service guided tour and let us convert you into a Pampered Pilgrim!
Hi, Annie, my towel is the "hair towel" size, and it's not the waffle fabric. That must be a new thing, or at least new in the last 8 years, which is probably how long I've been using my aquis. Don't get me wrong, I'm not saying it's absorbent like a big fluffy cotton towel, but it does the job and is superior to all other brands I've tried, like packtowel, something at REI, and I can't remember the rest.

Waffle towels may be a European thing - one can get them in Spain. They're quite absorbent, and fairly light weight - and small - 20" x 14". But, Laurie, if your towel has lasted for 8 years, that's a find!!

I used to use these travel towel, but now I use a cotton scarf as a towel because:
1. It can serve other purposes (coverup, pillowcase, head cover, etc)
2. It's much more absorbent than the "technical" towels
3. It dries more quickly.

Attachments

• scarf.jpg
    scarf.jpg
    124.8 KB · Views: 38

Most read last week in this forum

I’m leaving soon for CP and again attempted to use what’s app without success. I was trying to call a hotel in Spain, it just rings but nothing else. A few years ago I tried using in within Spain...
I realize every ounce matters when carrying backpack and not shipping luggage ahead. However, I know that the Spaniards are big into meat and potatoes, and not so much produce. I am thinking of...
Hola, I gearing up to start my 1st CdS and have seen people recommended sleeping bag liners to protect against bed bugs. Do these help or is it a myth? Should I add the extra weight of bringing one?
I’ve been stressing about charging my devices, so just want to make sure. I have this 4port Powered USB hub which I’m connecting to an adapter to fit European (at least Spain, since I know it...
Michael @wisepilgrim had mentioned a new feature that he was developing for Wise Pilgrim, and it looks like it is now in operation. You can check the app and see in real time how many beds are...
Well…… about $400 usd in socks and liners later and about 160 miles. I live in California near the Sierra mountains so we have some good trails and heat- I wanted to find my perfect combination...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.