• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Lightweight backpacks

The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
It's certainly extremely light (I used their Dawn model last year) but it's way too large - for most of late spring / summer / early autumn 30-35 litres (1800-2100 ci) should be possible with light gear

lightweight backpacks

Excellent web page, excavadora, thanks. My prob is that I have difficulties in getting this gear via Internet without trying it on and then if I don't like it have to go through the hassle of returning :!: I've been using the same backpack for a couple of years but am always on the look out for a smaller & technically better one. Funny, I started with a large one, then got a smaller one, & now am looking for an even smaller one :lol: Best, xm 8)

Join our full-service guided tour and let us convert you into a Pampered Pilgrim!
lightweight backpacks...check the GoLite...at: .....

Printed the page, excavadora, and will take it with me this am to a few local shops. Appreciate the info. Best, xm 8)

I tried the golite backpacks when I was buying. Yes, there are light, but in my opinion, the construction was very flimsy and the waistband was just a thin strap.

I purchased the Osprey Aura for women, there is a men's one, although I can't remember what it is called. The 50, which is the one I purchased although I'll never fill it up, weighs a mere 3lbs, but has all the solid construction features you would expect in a much heavier backpack. The Aura 35, weighs even less at 2 lbs 9 ounzes, with the same constuction.

Just cause something is light, doesn't make it suitable for a month long hike, it has to stand up and it has to fit properly and be made to carry weight on the hips. It comes down to a compromise between constuction and weight.

Only twelve more sleeps!

Lora

Hi Lora,

I think we're twins! I just bought an Osprey Aura bag 2 days ago (online -still hasn't arrived), am in Vancouver, and leaving for Spain on the 8th! Where are you starting from?

Back to the pack: I visited several stores, and spent countless hours online trying to find just the right combination of light-weight, good construction, and volume. I heard about the Oprey on these forums and found last years model for sale online - presto. I know it will be far too much space (my gear presently fits into a 32L pack) but I'm traveling in Europe after the Camino and didn't want to carry around 2 bags. I'll mail all the 'normal' :D clothes to myself in Santiago.

Where are you starting from?

Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-
...the Osprey Aura...there is a men's one,... can't remember what it is called. weighs...3lbs...Aura 35, weighs ...2 lbs 9 ounzes...Just cause something is light, doesn't make it suitable...

Got a point there, Lora. Please let me know how I could find info: re men's "Osprey Aura..." 2/ls 9 oz...wow...

This is getting better & better :lol:

Best,

xm 8)

of course the weight depends on if you get a small medium or large.
i tryed the aura 35 osprey. i am not keen on it, the weight is too far from my back. like xm says, i prefer to try it on then order it. I haven't found a go lite pack here in victoria. i am leaning towards the new karrimor, same pack as i had last year (yes crazy buying the same thing) however it is half the weight, and the more hikes one does, the more weight we won't to loose. (that is weight pack not body weight)
d

The men's version of the Osprey Aura is the Atmos. I have the Atmos 50 and expect it to be a little bit large but there are several compression straps. BTW in case you're worried about durability it has a lifetime warranty.

New Original Camino Gear Designed Especially with The Modern Peregrino In Mind!
You could also try http://www.gossamergear.com for lightweight backpacks
http://www.gossamergear.com/cgi-bin/gos ... atrix.html

I'm thinking of getting a Mariposa or Mariposa plus for my camino in the summer, but I live in the UK and don't want the hassle (like someone said earlier) of buying online just to check the fit and then having to return it...

I've just been looking at the North Face Terra 40 in the shop - it seemed to be quite a good bag, but a bit heavy at 1.7kilos...

UK - try OMM

If you live in the UK, try an OMM bag. I got mine a year ago and love it. It's actually for mountain runners so I feel a bit of a fraud using it but I do like it. I did have to put some foam under the shoulder straps (half a sit mat attached with stick on velcro).

http://www.theomm.com/packs.html

I've got the classic 32L. You can check out the stockists here (http://www.theomm.com/where_to_buy.html) and - if there is one near you - go and try it on with weights in to see how it feels. It seems flimsy but I have had no problems over the past year wearing it to work daily and also on a 10-day walking holiday last summer (am I tempting fate here - it will probably split as soon as we get on the aeroplane now!)

The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
We too have gotten the Osprey Atmos 50 (perhaps a tad too large, but I'd rather have the extra space than not enough) for the pilgrimage. It's got a great mesh "chimney" that keeps the pack away from your back and allows air to circulate between you and the pack. We live in the southeastern U.S., with similar summer weather to the Camino, and I know hikers who swear by this pack.

Steve

xm:

this is the mens version of the 35 ltr:
http://www.ospreypacks.com/Packs/AtmosS ... s/Atmos35/
This is the 50 ltr:
http://www.ospreypacks.com/Packs/AtmosS ... s/Atmos50/

I know Dawn doesn't like them, but I am hooked. Very well made and great fit, although you need to make sure you get the right size.

As I have said the 50 is a little bigger than I wanted but the difference between the weight of the 35 verses the 50 is very small. This way I will have some room to do a little shopping in Santiago before I fly home.
Lora

Hey alipilgrim: (My twin)

I am leaving Vancouver on the 10th, starting at SJPP and staying at Orrison on May 13th.

If you wanted to chat further, you could send me a private message :D .

Buen Camino!
Lora

The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.
:lol:
It seems like I won't be the only one with an osprey pack on the camino. I recently bought the Aura 35! I absolutely love it!!!
A pack is obviosly a personal decision and what's right for some is not right for all..but..
I find it to be well built and very comfortable. Carrying it feels like nothing. And, it's one of the only packs that come in sizes and actually fits me! Recommend it to anyone.
Lauren

I just came from a couple of stores and got the same advise from salespeople in both: "keep ur Marmot Talus backpack:!: " Still... I did get an HPR GORE-TEX parka, "guaranteed to keep u dry...engineered for EXTREME WET WEATHER." How could I resist that ype of ad :?: Kinda pricey: $120, but I see it as an investment for future Caminos. Also, folks I met at the stores said positive things about getting backpacks via Internet, that returning them was not such a hassle and that they were cheaper... Is this last one true? Best, xm 8)

Well the universe is really telling me something about osprey packs as i was returning it, it was stolen from my locked car (so I think) so say la vie, some unfortunate person will be looking good.I am grateful they left my boots.
Everypack fits so different. for my back my physio recommended staying away from packs that have the venting system (osprey, deuter).
I like the granite packs, went and changed it, however the 52L just too big. guess i will keep the karrimor. Materials change yearly, so perhaps next year i will buy another. I will consider on line purchasing far far in advance. i know here in canada and working for canada post, alot of times the customs people get the parcel and add on a handling fee and the gst as well. (The governement want the tax money and for us to stay in canada and shop. ) so sometimes not always cheaper.
d

Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
...my physio recommended staying away from packs that have the venting system (osprey, deuter).

Interesting, I just saw them this PM, how so?

...Materials change yearly, so perhaps next year i will buy another.

Been thinking the same but then I look at my backpack that I've been walking with now for sometime and comes to mind the story of the little boy who threw his teddy bear away because he was old and tattered. Wonder what the title is?

Maybe I should keep Marmot, but then...

Best,

xm

Today a salesperson at one of the stores I went to told me that sleeping bags should be placed inside at the top of the backpack, lighter suff in the bottom. Is this true: should lighter items be placed at the bottom in the backpack, heavier on top? I've been doing it the other way around :lol: Best, xm 8)

The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
xm said:
Today a salesperson at one of the stores I went to told me that sleeping bags should be placed inside at the top of the backpack, lighter suff in the bottom. Is this true: should lighter items be placed at the bottom in the backpack, heavier on top? I've been doing it the other way around :lol: Best, xm 8)

My old backpack actually had a picture in it of where to put stuff, light stuff on the bottom, heavy stuff in the middle towards the back. I think a sleeping bag qualifies as 'light stuff" but paper as 'heavy stuff".

Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-
My vote goes for Aarn Featherlite Freedom, more comfortable than a normal backpack half the loaded weight.

I call myself Amanacer

Yess... :lol:

...light stuff on the bottom, heavy stuff in the middle towards the back. ...sleeping bag ... 'light stuff" ...

OK, we're getting towards a consensus, there, thanks for the info :!:

Best,

xm 8)

I call myself Amanacer

Dawn, Amanecer, Amanece...
What's in a name? That which we call a rose
By any other name would smell as sweet;
So Amanecer would, were she not Amanece call'd,
Retain that dear perfection which she owes
Without that title.

Source: somethin' am workin' on...

xm 8)

Alba?

I had a South American flatmate called Rosalba - which I took to mean 'rosy dawn'. For me the associations of 'alba' are more lyrical than 'amanecer' which always sounds a bit threatening - a bit too similar to 'amenazer'.

Such beautiful words, "amanece" ... "alba" ...

Check these out:

''Y no amanece''

El Sol de media noche
entró por la ventana
y con la luz de un coche
se iluminó tu cara

La lluvia que mojaba
tus calles tan lloradas
quisiera que limpiara
también tu alma

Y no amanece
y no amanece
y no amanece

La luz del Sol gritaba
tu nombre tan lejana
tus párpados trataban
de no oir la llamada

Y no amanece, en tu cara
y no amanece, en tu espalda
y no amanece, en casa

El ruido de la calle
también te recordaba
pero al coger tu mano
no despertabas

Y no amanece, en tu cara
y no amanece, en casa

Y no amanece, en tu cara
y no amanece, en casa

Y no amanece
y no amanece
y no amanece

Amaneci en tus brazos

Amanecí otra vez entre tus brazos
y desperté llorando de alegría
me cobijé la cara con tus manos
para seguirte amando todo el día
te despertaste tú casi dormida
tú me querías decir no sé que cosa
pero callé tu boca con mis besos
y así pasaron muchas muchas horas.

Cuando cayó la noche, apareció la luna
y entró por la ventana
qué cosa más bonita cuando la luz del cielo
iluminó tu cara...

Yo me volví a meter entre tus brazos
tú me querías decir no sé que cosa
pero callé tu boca con mis besos
y así pasaron muchas muchas horas.

The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
...or...

Alba, Amanece...
What's in a name? That which we call a rose
By any other name would smell as sweet;
So Alba, were she not Amanece call'd,
Retain that dear perfection which she owes
Without that title.

Source: somethin' am workin' on, 2...

Toying with the idea of getting a newer, smaller, lighter pack. Noticed the Mountain Hardwear Phenom. It's a climbing pack officially, but what with the minimal amount of weight to carry, I think it looks pretty smart.

Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-
Be careful, the Mountain Hardware Phenom is smallish but heavy (40 litres, 1.33 kg) - if you can do with a sleeping bag liner not a bag you could look at the Salomon Raid Revo 30 (30 litres but only 620 g) - Cotswold Outdoor would be a place to look

Most read last week in this forum

70+ year old, 5 ft. tall, 110 lb. female hiking the full Northern Route (del Norte). My goal is to carry no more than 12 pounds/5.44 kg. Ideally, I'd like to carry less. I'm planning to use a...
Has anyone tried wearing sun sleeves? Seems they might be good for protection from the sun while also perhaps forgoing the need for a long-sleeve shirt? My concern is whether or not the fit is...
Sorry if this seems trivial, but I leave in 26 days for my first Camino (Frances). I’m finalizing my backpack items figuring what makes the honored Final Cut. Question: I was gonna bring a...
I usually wear Motion Control, but thought I might try something new this year. What are YOUR favorites, and why?
Does anyone have any experience with getting a custom rain cover for an Osprey pack? After 4 different caminos I am now grappling with using my rain suit which I prefer vs a poncho because my...
I walked the Camino Portuguese in September 2023 and loved the experience. I'm looking forward to my next Camino sometime in 2025. Although I didn't need a blanket on the Portuguese, I'm...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.