• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Lightweight camping gear

I'd be interested to know what the lightest dome you can find is. I had a really cheap dome tent after uni. It lasted over 20 years and was brilliant in all weathers. Totally agree about free-standing. Unless the weather was bad, I rarely needed to peg out the tent and very easy to set up on concrete etc.
I came across the Big Sky Soul when we were talking about free-standing tents for albergue yards, about this time last year. I was so impressed by this review that I bought it.
https://exploringwild.com/big-sky-soul-1p-tent-review/
I figured that even if I don't use it in the blowy Scottish highlands it'll still get taken on lots of other trips - like the camino.
What with everything going on last year I only slept a couple of nights in it. And TBH going back to 'legs in first' into a pod shape took some re-adjustment.. Also it is going to get wet at the head end if the entrance is opened in rain. If conditions look windy then you need to fix the internal ties to the poles - and this is very fiddly and not something you'd want to spending a lot of time doing in rain. But that's the only design negative I've been able to find so far. It is definitely much more stable than it looks, but I wonder if the 2-person, that weighs only 150g more (if the spec sheet is correct) - is the better all-round option, with the greater width creating more stability. Anyway there'll be more 'testing' on Dartmoor in the next month or so...

€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.
I know nothing about donkeys but am constantly intrigued by those who use them. I want one, as soon as I win the lottery. Bit of a job getting it up the stairs tho and into my flat! I remember being passed under the belly of a donkey three times as a child which was supposed to be the cure for one of my many ailments! Sorry dear moderator if that was off post but I use a Laser comp tent as my back up accommodation and if I could learn how to acquire a donkey and look after it properly then bejasus we would both be happy! Me and the donkey
that is! :)

Walk soft and stay safe.

The Malingerer.

:) :)
This post - deserves more love!

A selection of Camino Jewellery
The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
Deleted member posts are the result of my time away from the Forum. Various issues were involved in that decision, including a prolonged series of medical treatments.

At that time, per my request, my account had been closed/deleted. Upon returning, the old account could not be reconstituted and I had to start a new account. Thus, the confusion for those veterans who recognize my 'Deleted Member' posts, and also see my posting activity under my 'new' membership account.

Sorry about the confusion. Believe me, Ivar and Moderators tried several methods to try and get the old posts into the 'new' account.

I used a Laser Competition 1 person tent.... Look it up. It was perfect.(Terra Nova).
i got it cheap(er) because they were launching another -even lighter - tent at the time.
Less than one kg but don’t trust their ‘2 can fit in’, unless you’re very, very friendly 😁
this is my all time favourite tent !

samarkand :)

Deleted member posts are the result of my time away from the Forum. Various issues were involved in that decision, including a prolonged series of medical treatments.

At that time, per my request, my account had been closed/deleted. Upon returning, the old account could not be reconstituted and I had to start a new account. Thus, the confusion for those veterans who recognize my 'Deleted Member' posts, and also see my posting activity under my 'new' membership account.

Sorry about the confusion. Believe me, Ivar and Moderators tried several methods to try and get the old posts into the 'new' account.
Looks like it worked, Davebugg!

Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-

Most read last week in this forum

Could I ask what may be naive question. This will be my 1st Camino and I will be mostly staying in alberques. Could you please explain the bathroom/shower etiquette to me? I have no idea what...
Do i need both these apps? I want to spend as little time my device as possible so if one app will do fine that’s my preference.
I was planning to document my journey through my blog (or Vlog, as I would probably take lots of videos). I was thinking of using my iPhone, and I ordered a foldable keyboard to facilitate typing...
I did the Norte in 2017. This set off a wild ride of changes in life - shifting many things. I am now at a new plateau and it feels like the right time to do Camino #2, this time the...
Hi to all, I'm looking for a really, really good place (an artist) to get a Tattoo in Santiago, it could be before Santiago but I presume in Santiago I will be ready to have my first one. The...
My daughter and I will be on the Portuguese on June and July starting in Lisbon. We will arrive in Porto about the 27th of June. We want to stay for three nights. Can we stay in an albergue for...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.