• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Lightweight Chacos -- anyone tried them?

peregrina2000

Staff member
I have a pair of the traditional standard heavy black Chcaos that I have worn for more than 10 years. I wear them all summer, and always carry them on the Camino for shower and post-walking walking. They are great for my feet. But they are heavy. And they are getting a little worn down -- pretty amazing that they still have a fair amount of tread on them after all these years, though.

Just saw a Sierra Trading Post sale on Chacos, and decided to try this "lightweight" model, without knowing anything about it. I will report back.

http://www.sierratradingpost.com/chaco-zandvolv-x-sport-sandals-for-women~p~9914y/?filterString=s~women-chacos-/

The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
I have a pair of the traditional standard heavy black Chcaos that I have worn for more than 10 years. I wear them all summer, and always carry them on the Camino for shower and post-walking walking. They are great for my feet. But they are heavy. And they are getting a little worn down -- pretty amazing that they still have a fair amount of tread on them after all these years, though.

Just saw a Sierra Trading Post sale on Chacos, and decided to try this "lightweight" model, without knowing anything about it. I will report back.

http://www.sierratradingpost.com/chaco-zandvolv-x-sport-sandals-for-women~p~9914y/?filterString=s~women-chacos-/
That place got some good prices on some good stuff on close-out. I found myself saying to myself "hey, that'd work good on the Camino" and found myself reaching for my credit card....yikes.

Join our full-service guided tour of the Basque Country and let us pamper you!
Can't give you my opinion on Chaco's as I am a long term Teva's fan. Last year I chucked my 12+ year old rugged hiking Teva's after gluing the soles many times. The black rubber also started to rub off on my feet so I bought a "Teva light" (my quotes) version. They passed the test! They are lightweight but still great for walking though not cheap.

Now continue with your Chaco discussion ;)

Be aware that "chaco" in Spanish is the colloquial word for nunchaku. So, if you say (in Spanish) "I am carrying chacos, they are very comfortable, I use them every day", you could receive some surprised and wary glances.;)
367px-Nunchaku.JPG

Well, Felipe, that's even a worse problem than saying you are "embarazada" about something. Or going to the farmacia and asking for help for being "constipada." I will definitely keep the name under wraps. :D

Yes, Sierra Trading Post is a pretty amazing place. I've gotten all my camino gear there for years, even my BD and Leki poles. They have fabulous customer service, the only bad thing being that they bombard you with emails announcing lower and lower prices so you can hardly resist the temptation.

And LT, though I have more interesting things to talk to you about then Chacos/Teva, I will throw this down the gauntlet. Chacos are far superior because of their footbeds, which are much more ergonomical and comfortable than the flat Tevas. Now I suppose it's possible that TEVAS have changed since the last time I wore them in 2002 ;), but back then their sole was perfectly flat. Works for some feet, not mine.

I will definitely let you know, Jill, how I find them. Are you saying that your Chacos had to be re-soled after one Camino? That would indicate an astonishing decline in quality since I made my first Chaco purchase in the early 2000s. As I said in my first post, mine are ancient and still going very strong.

3rd Edition. More content, training & pack guides avoid common mistakes, bed bugs etc
Laurie, I love Chacos! I've also had a pair for 10+ years. Would definitely be interested in hearing how you like these new ones after you've tried them out.

Chacos are far superior because of their footbeds, which are much more ergonomical and comfortable than the flat Tevas. Now I suppose it's possible that TEVAS have changed since the last time I wore them in 2002 ;), but back then their sole was perfectly flat. Works for some feet, not mine.

Sorry, Pere2K. But I've been wearing the lighter weight Tevas for years. The arch fits me better than Chacos:

Teva Zirra.jpg

Lightweight, straps dry fast, sticky sole for slick pavement/trails...and girly! These are the Teva Zirra.

Thanks, purple backback, that's a great improvement! When I ditched Tevas, they didn't have anything but the flat beds. Maybe I should have scouted around for some of the fancy new models, but have stuck with Chacos for now. If they don't work out for me, I will definitely take a look at the Zirra. So much product differentiation these days!

Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-
As you see Laurie, Teva's have come a long way;). Mine are a bit sturdier than Purple backpacks' version but they also have great arch support. Actually the version you mentioned without any arch support was the original Teva. It's still around but they have diversified quite a bit since the early 2000's. You'll see mine in June:)

I have tried the light Chacos. There is a difference in my mind. They are not appreciably lighter and there is not as much cushioning. I also notice that the straps may be slightly narrower too. That being said, I think Chaco has changed which models they offer. They added the sport and the yampa and may not make the "orginal" anymore. I think it might be called a classic now. I prefer the Chaco to the Teva as well. Keep us posted. A long time fan of STP. I hate to think how much I have "saved" on my purchases.

I will definitely let you know, Jill, how I find them. Are you saying that your Chacos had to be re-soled after one Camino? That would indicate an astonishing decline in quality since I made my first Chaco purchase in the early 2000s. As I said in my first post, mine are ancient and still going very strong.

No, my chacos were well worn by the time I took them on the Camino, so it was time to re-sole. I also took the opportunity to order another pair with nice dark green patterned webbing. They last quite a long time before needing to be re-soled. They are the only footwear I've found that don't cause forefoot/ball of the foot pain at about 15k. The authors of the Village to Village Camino guide also wear Chacos on all their distance pilgrimages, btw.

A guide to speaking Spanish on the Camino - enrich your pilgrim experience.
My new lightweight Chacos have arrived and are very comfortable. About 6 oz lighter than the standard ones. Since I don't wear them for distance walking, I am not worried about the slightly less-formed shape. They do have arch support, certainly sufficient for post-Camino walking. Just based on my initial once-over, I like them. I will probably buy another pair of the standard heavier Z-1 model but I will not lug them on my next Camino!

Most read last week in this forum

Hi! I'm traveling to Porto tomorrow and starting the Camino on the 19th, the problem is that I've just weighed my pack and it's 2 kilos more than it should be! Should I get rid of some stuff or...
My son has advised me to delete unnecessary apps, books, podcasts, downloaded videos etc from my iPhone. Saves up to 250gms. Great weight saving hack.
Hello all - thank you all so much for all of the guidance on what is not my only first camino but first hike over about 5 miles! I've headed a lot of advice about backpacks and trekking poles and...
While reading through one of the more recent water bottle vs. hydration bladder debates, I was reminded of something I came across a few weeks ago, bookmarked, and promptly forgot about until said...
With this device, you can pack everything you might want (including your fears) irrespective of weight.
I've stopped procrastinating and done my first pack. Was a bit nervous about being under 7kg hand luggage, but on the first try I've come to 5.9kg (13 pounds). (Not counting one set walking...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.