A donation to the forum removes ads for you, and supports Ivar in his work running it

Advertisement

Lightweight folding stool for bad back last 100KM CF

2020 Camino Guides

Pattie Strub

Greetings,
My husband is 6'6" and has a bad back that can act up at times. He usually just needs to sit down for a spell and then do some stretches and he's good. My question is ....on the last 100km of the Camino Frances are there plenty of rocks, logs, etc for him to sit on when the need arises? He can't go for another 1km when he needs to sit. Or, should we bring a small folding camp stool for him? I found one that is less than 2 lbs and seems to fit the bill nicely. We are having our packs transported between towns. Thank you.

mspath

Veteran Member
Camino(s) past & future
Frances, autumn/winter; 2004, 2005-2006, 2007, 2008, 2009, 2010, 2011, 2012, 2013, 2014, 2015
Since the probability of finding a "natural place" to sit exactly when and where you might need it is slim carrying the lightweight folding stool seems a very good idea.

May you both have a safe and Buen camino!

poogeyejr

Camino(s) past & future
Norte, May 2011
Norte, Sept 2013
Frances, 1wk, Jan 2017
Carry the stool. Find a nice day pack for you that has a good waist strap so you can carry the Water, rain gear and the stool comfortably. Buen Camino!

Glenn Rowe

Camino(s) past & future
One of my friends had, and used, one very much like this. He swore by it. Now, this one IS a bit low to the ground which may create difficulties getting one's tuchus down onto it, and back up again.

It is shown attached to the front of an internal frame backpack. However, by rolling the fabric seat around the top of the folded stool, it might even fit around a "standard" daypack. Sorta like a picture frame. Attach it to the top haul-loop with a velcro strap or bit of cord.

Last edited:

Stivandrer

Perambulating & Curious. Rep stravaiging offender
Camino(s) past & future
I´ve got Camino plans until 2042,
- or till I fall flat on my face, whichever comes first !!
look up Robens folding chairs

example:
Geographic Silver Grey / Glowing Red

low 33 cm / 260 grms ps max load 120 kgs
high 43 cm / 340 grms ps max load 120 kgs

affordable, strong
popular with bird watchers

Last edited:

twh

Camino(s) past & future
Frances May/June, 2018
Porto-Muxia-Finisterre Oct (2019)
Be sure to have him test the stool for seat height and stability before buying.
If you have an REI store go there to look at and “test sit” some other options. They have lots of light weight camp chairs that fold and unfold into very small packages. Helinox is one brand but there are many “knock off” copies out there and much cheaper. Check YouTube videos to see how quick setup and take down are and how small they fold up. If a stool is adequate that’s the ticket but if a backrest is helpful look at the camp chairs.

Get on our Mailing list for new products on the Camino Store and news from the Camino Forum

Advertisement

Booking.com

Most downloaded Resources

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Forum Store

Camino Forum Store

Casa Ivar Newsletter

Forum Donation

Forum Donation
For those with no forum account, it is possible to donate here as well. Thank you for your support! Ivar

Follow Casa Ivar on Instagram

When is the best time to walk?

• January

Votes: 16 1.3%
  • February

Votes: 10 0.8%
  • March

Votes: 54 4.2%
  • April

Votes: 193 15.1%
  • May

Votes: 319 25.0%
  • June

Votes: 93 7.3%
  • July

Votes: 23 1.8%
  • August

Votes: 27 2.1%
  • September

Votes: 365 28.6%
  • October

Votes: 154 12.1%
  • November

Votes: 17 1.3%
  • December

Votes: 6 0.5%
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock