• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Lightweight folding stool for bad back last 100KM CF

Pattie Strub

Greetings,
My husband is 6'6" and has a bad back that can act up at times. He usually just needs to sit down for a spell and then do some stretches and he's good. My question is ....on the last 100km of the Camino Frances are there plenty of rocks, logs, etc for him to sit on when the need arises? He can't go for another 1km when he needs to sit. Or, should we bring a small folding camp stool for him? I found one that is less than 2 lbs and seems to fit the bill nicely. We are having our packs transported between towns. Thank you.

The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
Since the probability of finding a "natural place" to sit exactly when and where you might need it is slim carrying the lightweight folding stool seems a very good idea.

May you both have a safe and Buen camino!

The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
Carry the stool. Find a nice day pack for you that has a good waist strap so you can carry the Water, rain gear and the stool comfortably. Buen Camino!

The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
One of my friends had, and used, one very much like this. He swore by it. Now, this one IS a bit low to the ground which may create difficulties getting one's tuchus down onto it, and back up again.

It is shown attached to the front of an internal frame backpack. However, by rolling the fabric seat around the top of the folded stool, it might even fit around a "standard" daypack. Sorta like a picture frame. Attach it to the top haul-loop with a velcro strap or bit of cord.

Last edited:
look up Robens folding chairs

example:
Geographic Silver Grey / Glowing Red

low 33 cm / 260 grms ps max load 120 kgs
high 43 cm / 340 grms ps max load 120 kgs

affordable, strong
popular with bird watchers

Last edited:
Be sure to have him test the stool for seat height and stability before buying.
If you have an REI store go there to look at and “test sit” some other options. They have lots of light weight camp chairs that fold and unfold into very small packages. Helinox is one brand but there are many “knock off” copies out there and much cheaper. Check YouTube videos to see how quick setup and take down are and how small they fold up. If a stool is adequate that’s the ticket but if a backrest is helpful look at the camp chairs.

Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.

Most read last week in this forum

70+ year old, 5 ft. tall, 110 lb. female hiking the full Northern Route (del Norte). My goal is to carry no more than 12 pounds/5.44 kg. Ideally, I'd like to carry less. I'm planning to use a...
Has anyone tried wearing sun sleeves? Seems they might be good for protection from the sun while also perhaps forgoing the need for a long-sleeve shirt? My concern is whether or not the fit is...
Sorry if this seems trivial, but I leave in 26 days for my first Camino (Frances). I’m finalizing my backpack items figuring what makes the honored Final Cut. Question: I was gonna bring a...
I usually wear Motion Control, but thought I might try something new this year. What are YOUR favorites, and why?
Does anyone have any experience with getting a custom rain cover for an Osprey pack? After 4 different caminos I am now grappling with using my rain suit which I prefer vs a poncho because my...
I walked the Camino Portuguese in September 2023 and loved the experience. I'm looking forward to my next Camino sometime in 2025. Although I didn't need a blanket on the Portuguese, I'm...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.