• Update: The images and attachemnets are now back, we are generating new thumbnails.... (this takes time with 20 years of photos). I know the notification icon gives an error. That error should be gone within an hour or two. Sorry again! Ivar
  • For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Lightweight guides

Andrewere

In my search for lightweight guides for a recent Camino I found a few things that fit the bill perfectly. The first 2 are from websites that have a variety of downloadable/printable media:

http://www.caminoguide.net
This has a user friendly written navigation guide and has info on the history and other points of interest. I downloaded their Kindle app for my iphone though there is a free pdf guide which can be printed on A4 paper.

Eroski guide:
http://www.caminodesantiago.consumer.es
This has good maps and elevation profiles plus detailed info on accommodation.The iphone app is excellent. I've only found it in Spanish but it's still very helpful.

Once the above are downloaded to the iphone they don't require any phone/wifi signal though the Eroski guide seems to download new data if the phone/wifi is switched on.

The third item was given to me when I got my credential in the Pilgrim's Office in St. Jean Pied de Port. On 2 sides of a single A4 sheet were diagrams of all the relevent distances, height elevations and main towns/villages. This was kept in a waterproof A5 ziplok and proved a geat help.
I found the document on the compostelle.fr website, here:

http://www.aucoeurduchemin.org/userfile ... s_voir.pdf

Andrew.

Join our full-service guided tour and let us convert you into a Pampered Pilgrim!
Andrew, I would recommend taking a printed guide as well. I carried a smartphone in 2010, but was not able to get it charged on several occasions, and would not wanted to have relied on it if it was going to be used regularly.

I used the Camino Frances guide by John Brierley. It is about 300gm (cf 500gm or more for some other guides), printed on good paper and bound properly. If you wanted something even lighter, you could just carry a map set without any of the interesting details!

Regards,

The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
JohnnieWalker said:
Walking on the Camino Frances last week I used the PDF from here: http://www.caminoguide.net/ and added information on accommodation which a member helpfully posted on this forum recently I then uploaded it to my Kindle and I had more than enough info - particularly when the route is so well waymarked. I think we will see more and more "homemade" guides appearing which is all to the good.

I loved that guide 'book"; it's clear and up-to-date. Last May, I printed it on 6 pages and threw them out when I didn't need them anymore. It has all the practical information you need.

Or do what I do and travel without any maps or guides. You'll be fine most of the time, and it's a bit of an adventure when you do get lost. :) (It also makes for a good story that night, along with points for bravery, especially when you're a sola peregrina!)

Melanie

Most read last week in this forum

Last year on my camino I was a bit annoyed when someone back home told me to enjoy my vacation. I bristled. Why did that word annoy me so much? I was on a pilgrimage! Anyway, I'm about to embark...
I'm looking for the best app to use whilst walking on the Camino. Usually I just rely on my Apple watch but I'm leaving that at home, so need an app use that I can pause at rest stops etc...
Everyone talks about the wonderful café con leche, but what if tea is more to your liking? Can you even get tea along the Camino (Frances)? I don’t drink coffee but my morning cup of tea is...
Hey all. I haven't been on the forum for quite sometime (years probably). I walked the Camino Frances in 2016 and to say it was life changing for me is an understatement. On day 3, at the café at...
I am just back from a few weeks on the Via the la Plata. Since 2015 I have been nearly every year in Spain walking caminoroutes I loved the café con leches. This year I did not like them as much...
Forgive me if already in a thread somewhere, but any search for the above brings up basically every post ever written! Did anyone get to see the premiere? Dying to know what it's like as the...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.