• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Lightweight LED headlamp

Rambler

Time of past OR future Camino
June 2008 Camino Frances with Daughter, 2014 Camino Frances with Son
I am always on the lookout now for items I would take on the Camino.
Just saw one of these LED headlamps:
http://www.target.com/Micro-Headlam...843?ie=UTF8&index=target&rh=k:headlamp&page=1

A Scouter friend has one and says he loves it. Very light (3oz) and uses AAA batteries. It is also very bright.
3.7 lumen output
1 AAA battery
14.5 hour battery life
41NCoiy4lqL._AA260_.jpg

Sold here in the States at target under the Eddie Bauer brand, but made by Coast:

http://www.coastportland.com/displayPro ... &prodnums=¿947¡949¡281¡282¡939¡940¡938¡948¿&mastCat=5

They have them at opticsPlanet.com for US$15.85:
http://www.opticsplanet.net/coast-micro-headlamp-headlamps-ll7451.html

I am hoping for one at Christmas, so I can review it for everyone.

Rambler

St James' Way - Self-guided 4-7 day Walking Packages, Reading to Southampton, 110 kms
Hi

I don't know their availability at different stores in the states but Petzl makes a good range of quality headlamps. They are made for cavers and climbers and are quite good quality.

John

I HATE those things in the albergues! Why do people think they need such powerful lights that disturb those trying sleep.I have a weak torch that I often partially cover with my hand to further dim the light. They may be useful for pre dawn walking but castille and leon had a large poster in various albergues urging pilgrims not to walk in the dark due to the number of injuries sustained but from what I saw many thought they knew better.

The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.
My solution to the torch "problem" is to take a tiny LED red light torch which has an elastic loop that I attach to my watch at night. If I have to use it in the night I can shield it with my hand and the fact that it is red means that if any rays escape my diligence that are unlikely to disturb my fellow peregrinos. This torch was purchased from Katmandhu and has served me for 2 pilgrimages and will no doubt serve me for my third without having to touch the small battery. It's weight is 15 grams.

I carry this extra 15 grams in consideration of my fellow travellers, as I actually have a small headlight as well - and there were a few occasions when I did need it, but again I was careful to always shield the light beams in the event that it was being used where it may have caused a disturbance. Head lights can be held in the hand - the same way as a normal torch, and likewise a torch held in the mouth with the beam "surfing" the room can be very disturbing too!. My head light (a Petzl) weighs 27grams.

Sometimes one needs additional light than the often dim lights in albergues, to work on gear, read guides etc. Janet

This Coast headlamp seems perfect for Alberge life because it is is not so strong that it becomes bothersome to other Pilgrims. Plus it weighs less than the Petzls (yes, they are very popular in the States). Its range is 0-10 feet.

On our Camino we took the Black Diamond Ion and the Petzl Zipka. The Ion took special sized batteries, so I had bought two extra Lithiums before the trip to take. The Zipka used 3AAAs.

We never walked so early in the morning that we needed a headlamp, so our use was mainly in the Alberge. the Zipka was very bright with 3 LEDs so I thought the Coast lamp was a good alternative. Plus it is less than half the price of a Zipka.

I am always on the lookout for the lightest LED light that uses AA or AAA batteries. I am hoping this will weigh in at less than the Zipka.

BTW you can get colored lenses for Petzl lights to do what jl suggests. Red lights do not effect your night vision so they are very good for using in Alberge type conditions.

Rambler
Rambler

New Original Camino Gear Designed Especially with The Modern Peregrino In Mind!
:::laughing::::

I'm with YOU, Omar!

I'm just curious. WHY do you need a headlamp? What exactly do you plan to do with it? Are you going to walk in the dark? Just curious, not trying to be mean... really... :roll: no, REALLY! :p

It's a bit shocking to find yourself awakened by bright lights and rustling plastic bags in the dead of the night. :shock:

And the thing is... I pass most of those earlybirds along the Camino, which makes me wonder, "Why do they have to get started so early? What's the rush?" :?:

I like those refugios where there is a "No leaving before 7 am" rule... that way we all can get our sleep.

If people REALLY must leave in the dark, and they plan well the night before, all they have to do is dress quietly and leave, getting blessings instead of curses from fellow perigrinos.

I didn't carry a torch/flashlight and got along fine.
The one morning we TRIED leaving before dawn, we (and the group we followed) got lost in the dark. That was a good lesson. There's simply no reason to leave before dawn, at least in the cooler autumn month of September.

I agree that lights need to be handled discretely in Albergues, especially in the morning. But I prefer a headlamp because it leaves your hands free if you are reading in your bunk in the evening or looking for something deep in your pack.
We never started before dawn ourselves, so I am not going to comment on whether this is advisable.

This particular headlamp has a single LED and a short range. This to me is the kind of light best suited for indoor use. It should not be as distracting as the lamps that are made to light the trail for 30 meters.

In the summer, because of the huge volume of peregrinos, there is going to always be a group that will want to get up before dawn to have the Way to themselves. I would prefer they have these lamps than a Petzl torch, so I can sleep on in comfort rather than be awakened myself.

Rambler

I was at REI a few weeks ago and saw a TEENY tiny little lightweight headlamp, and in retrospect, I guess there might be times when this could be useful on the trail or in unlit rooms. It does make a lot more sense than a flashlight. Reading in your bunk is something I hadn't thought of either. There were a few times I would have liked to read when "lights out" was earlier than I expected.

Join our full-service guided tour and let us convert you into a Pampered Pilgrim!
The Black Diamond Gizmo weighs only 2.8 ounces with two AA batteries and is $20 at REI. It has a beam distance of 13 meters, enough for an improved path before dawn.

Most read last week in this forum

70+ year old, 5 ft. tall, 110 lb. female hiking the full Northern Route (del Norte). My goal is to carry no more than 12 pounds/5.44 kg. Ideally, I'd like to carry less. I'm planning to use a...
Has anyone tried wearing sun sleeves? Seems they might be good for protection from the sun while also perhaps forgoing the need for a long-sleeve shirt? My concern is whether or not the fit is...
Sorry if this seems trivial, but I leave in 26 days for my first Camino (Frances). I’m finalizing my backpack items figuring what makes the honored Final Cut. Question: I was gonna bring a...
I usually wear Motion Control, but thought I might try something new this year. What are YOUR favorites, and why?
Does anyone have any experience with getting a custom rain cover for an Osprey pack? After 4 different caminos I am now grappling with using my rain suit which I prefer vs a poncho because my...
I walked the Camino Portuguese in September 2023 and loved the experience. I'm looking forward to my next Camino sometime in 2025. Although I didn't need a blanket on the Portuguese, I'm...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.