• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Lightweight rain jacket

frannie z

Time of past OR future Camino
Frances: 2022,2023
I'm looking for THE LIGHTEST WEIGHT RAIN JACKET that can fit over a small day pack.... any suggestions?

Last edited by a moderator:
The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
I'm looking for THE LIGHTEST WEIGHT RAIN JACKET that can fit over a small day pack.... any suggestions?
Frogg Toggs rain jackets and ponchos are very light. If you buy one that's oversized for you it should fit over your day pack. In the questions section on Amazon one person said that their men's medium is 5.5 oz, and another reviewer said that their XL is 5.8 oz (with tags removed)

Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-
My "Warmlite" brand (USA) rain jacket weighs 123g (4.4oz) just zips over an empty 32 liter pack, bit it's a tight fit (I'm 200lb). Be sure to factor in your loaded pack when selecting size. This is a small company and very accommodating on things like sizing, color selection (you can mix panel colors - I ordered yellow with a red hood), etc. Let them know you want to use it over a pack and they might be able to enlarge the back panel to accommodate this.

We have both their jackets and rain ponchos, the latter sized to go over backpacks - they're so light we sometimes bring both while backpacking.

These are siliconized nylon and absolutely water proof, no water and little vapor goes in or out (seal the seams). As with any truly water proof garment you might get wet from condensation of body moisture on the inside of the shell. To avoid this try wearing a vapor proof layer under your insulating layers, while ventilating sufficiently to avoid overheating - it can be a delicate balance.

Last edited:
Frogg Toggs rain jackets and ponchos are very light. If you buy one that's oversized for you it should fit over your day pack. In the questions section on Amazon one person said that their men's medium is 5.5 oz, and another reviewer said that their XL is 5.8 oz (with tags removed)

Thank you I'm looking for breathable... most of what I've looked at is arcteryx incredibly lightweight but EXPENSIVE.... maybe worth the cost but ..... decisions decisions

€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.
Thank you I'm looking for breathable... most of what I've looked at is arcteryx incredibly lightweight but EXPENSIVE.... maybe worth the cost but ..... decisions decisions
I understand that the Frogg Toggs jacket is breathable. Or at least as breathable as a rain jacket can be!

@Camino Chrissy would be a good one to ask, as she uses a Frogg Toggs jacket.

I have never felt condensation from my Frogg Togg rain jacket, which is one of the things I was really happy about. However I do not walk in the heat of summer; not sure what month you wore yours.

I’m walking sept 20 - Oct 6. I’m always hot! I will have layers available if I need warmth. What I’m looking for is breathable very light weight and I’m thinking jacket over poncho (but willing to reconsider). I’ve never hiked in the rain. Im only carrying a daypack so it only has to fit over day pack

I’m walking sept 20 - Oct 6. I’m always hot! I will have layers available if I need warmth. What I’m looking for is breathable very light weight and I’m thinking jacket over poncho (but willing to reconsider). I’ve never hiked in the rain. Im only carrying a daypack so it only has to fit over day pack
Walmart has some really inexpensive lightweight rain ponchos. I'd say walking that time of year a poncho would suffice and could rarely be used. Do you not plan on taking any other type of jacket when it's not raining? A vest perhaps for those cold mornings? :)

The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
I've just had to replace an ageing lightweight jacket and went for one of these:

Regatta

1660673730396.png

Made with full length zip, taped inner seams, two large pockets and a snug fitting hood for the rediculous price of less than $14 US including shipping from the UK.

Said to be waterproof and breathable (we'll see, we're experiencing hot, dry weather at present) mine is the XXXL (I'm 6'1" and 230lbs) which is a comfortably loose fit and weighs in at just 200g or 7oz.

Never tried wearing a jacket over a pack, even a day bag, but I suppose if you go for a larger than your normal size . . . the wrists are elasticated so you won't lose your hands!

Mountain Hardware UK has a range called Extreme. Waterproof and lightweight. I was 2 hours in the pouring rain, dry as a bone inside. They deliver to European countries, so maybe to your first lodging for you to pick up on arrival...
I use mine for normal wear, and it scrunches up quite small.

I've just had to replace an ageing lightweight jacket and went for one of these:

Regatta

View attachment 131167

Made with full length zip, taped inner seams, two large pockets and a snug fitting hood for the rediculous price of less than $14 US including shipping from the UK.

Said to be waterproof and breathable (we'll see, we're experiencing hot, dry weather at present) mine is the XXXL (I'm 6'1" and 230lbs) which is a comfortably loose fit and weighs in at just 200g or 7oz.

Never tried wearing a jacket over a pack, even a day bag, but I suppose if you go for a larger than your normal size . . . the wrists are elasticated so you won't lose your hands!
All's I can say is IF for $14 this jacket is breathable I WILL BE SHOCKED.

As Trecile has said, I have always been happy with my FroggTogg jacket (and occasionally have worn the matching rainpants.) The jacket is roomy, very lightweight, and seems breathable, although I am not a person who sweats very much. It has kept me dry in a few torrential rains on the Camino. It's main downfall imo, is that it is definitely no fashion statement if that concerns you, but for the price point of around $20 it is a winner.
20170430_082913~2.jpg

New Original Camino Gear Designed Especially with The Modern Peregrino In Mind!
If you are like a looking for something higher quality I would look at the Outdoor Research Helium series, very lightweight durable and works well.
Buen Camino
I second that emotion. I've been very happy with all the Outdoor Research clothing I've purchased.

Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-
You can purchase rain covers for daypacks. That combined with a plastic bin bag inside holding all your stuff will keep it dry.
I have yet to find a rain jacket that is truly waterproof that is also breathable.

Still awaiting the promised torrential rain - it's a hazy 23 degrees at present - so may have to join @Camino Chrissy under the shower.
In the meantime would it make the jacket more believably breathable to know that the manufacturer's recommended retail price is around $45? I got mine from a discount store.

i tested a lot of pricey rain jackets and the only one that kept me dry and worked fantstic on the camino was the REI gortex jacket that fits over a day bag if you size it up. i didnt try frogg toggs though! just buy your jacket from a place that accepts returns and go for a walk in the rain. you'll soon find out what works!

The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
I love my Rab Kinetic jacket. It's a waterproof soft shell and very comfortable to wear because it's stretchy and very breathable. 290g

Referring back to the OP's original question, she was asking specifically if there is a rain jacket that would potentially cover a small daypack. The boxy, rather unattractive Frogg Togg "may" work.

Last edited:
Referring back to the OP's original question, she wasbasking specifically if there is a rain jacket that would potentially cover a small daypack. The boxy, rather unattractive Frogg Togg "may" work.
I have a friend who will be taking a large (or extra large, I'm not sure which) men's Frogg Toggs rain jacket which is plenty big to go over her day pack.

The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.
I second Trecile’s recommendation of trying Frogg Toggs. We’ve been using versions of them for over 15 years on our long hikes. They are more comfortable regarding condensation than Gortex types rain gear. Frogg Toggs‘s water protection doesn’t seem to degrade over time, but I can’t offer any scientific comparison with other fabrics. Simple in design, forget pitzips, adjustable wrists, pockets, multiple hood adjusters, and especially fashion; although, I was once told that the sky blue, light weight “classic”, our latest version, “could be worse.” The pants are also standard items in our kit. Lots of choices for you. Don’t forget your umbrella.

Still awaiting the promised torrential rain - it's a hazy 23 degrees at present - so may have to join @Camino Chrissy under the shower.
In the meantime would it make the jacket more believably breathable to know that the manufacturer's recommended retail price is around $45? I got mine from a discount store.
UPDATE:

Well it finally rained 🌦️⛈️🌧️

1660916260607.jpeg

Roof gutters overflowed, the roads were awash but I'm happy to say the Regatta is definitely waterproof and showed no signs of condensation on the inside so I guess it is breathable too.

On the upside I won't have to water my vegetables for the best part of a week!

i tested a lot of pricey rain jackets and the only one that kept me dry and worked fantstic on the camino was the REI gortex jacket that fits over a day bag if you size it up. i didnt try frogg toggs though! just buy your jacket from a place that accepts returns and go for a walk in the rain. you'll soon find out what works!
I finally made the decision and bought the REI Gortex jacket... it's incredibly light weight and because it's GORETEX rain proof but breathable... that's why it cost 189$ US . Got XL so it will fit over my small day pack if necessary. And I love REI because they take everything back worn, torn, etc. if needed.

Join our full-service guided tour and let us convert you into a Pampered Pilgrim!

Most read last week in this forum

70+ year old, 5 ft. tall, 110 lb. female hiking the full Northern Route (del Norte). My goal is to carry no more than 12 pounds/5.44 kg. Ideally, I'd like to carry less. I'm planning to use a...
Has anyone tried wearing sun sleeves? Seems they might be good for protection from the sun while also perhaps forgoing the need for a long-sleeve shirt? My concern is whether or not the fit is...
Sorry if this seems trivial, but I leave in 26 days for my first Camino (Frances). I’m finalizing my backpack items figuring what makes the honored Final Cut. Question: I was gonna bring a...
I usually wear Motion Control, but thought I might try something new this year. What are YOUR favorites, and why?
Does anyone have any experience with getting a custom rain cover for an Osprey pack? After 4 different caminos I am now grappling with using my rain suit which I prefer vs a poncho because my...
I walked the Camino Portuguese in September 2023 and loved the experience. I'm looking forward to my next Camino sometime in 2025. Although I didn't need a blanket on the Portuguese, I'm...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.