• Get your Camino Frances Guidebook here.
  • For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Lightweight sheet

NTange

Time of past OR future Camino
El Camino de Santiago
I would like to take a sleeping sheet with me on the Camino. I have looked at the Silk Liners but they are very expensive and I actually just want to cover the mattress and not be in a bag as such. I also carry a light sleeping bag that zips completely open that I use on top. Any suggestions?

St James' Way - Self-guided 4-7 day Walking Packages, Reading to Southampton, 110 kms
The first edition came out in 2003 and has become the go-to-guide for many pilgrims over the years. It is shipping with a Pilgrim Passport (Credential) from the cathedral in Santiago de Compostela.
I would like to take a sleeping sheet with me on the Camino. I have looked at the Silk Liners but they are very expensive and I actually just want to cover the mattress and not be in a bag as such. I also carry a light sleeping bag that zips completely open that I use on top. Any suggestions?

I take a full flat sheet cut it in half, take one half on camino. And use it exactly as you wish to do.

In the USA we have "Dollar Stores" and "Dollar General" stores. I buy a twin sheet set for $5 and use the fitted bottom and pillowcase on the Camino. They are made of lightweight, cheap polyester and fold up to practically nothing in my pack. I would never use them at home, but they are perfect for the Camino. I spray the sheet with Permathrin and put my lightweight sleeping bag on top.

The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
In place of a lightweight sleeping bag, I bring this item:

http://www.alpsmountaineering.com/products/bags/sleeping-bag-liners/rectangle-liner

It folds into a 3-liter or one-gallon ziplock bag and rides at the very bottom of my rucksack. It has these positive attributes:
  • a full separating zipper permitting two bags to be combined into a larger-two person sack,
  • the full-opening zip allows me to get into and out of the sack easily as well as regulate temperature,
  • generous sizing for my prodigious frame;
  • it is machine-washable and dries fast on a clothesline;
  • it is available in a lighter, mummy shape for you skinnies out there; and
  • it is also available in a slightly heavier micro-fleece version, in rectangular format
  • costs less than USD 30.
After trying sleeping bags, silk liners, and microfiber liners, this is the sack that best meets all my considerations. It took me three years of trial and error to find this. Now, it is my go-to bag for most Caminos.

Hope this helps.

Last edited:

Most read last week in this forum

La Voz de Galicia has reported the death of a 65 year old pilgrim from the United States this afternoon near Castromaior. The likely cause appears to be a heart attack. The pilgrim was walking the...
This is my first posting but as I look at the Camino, I worry about 'lack of solitude' given the number of people on the trail. I am looking to do the France route....as I want to have the...
The Burguete bomberos had another busy day yesterday. Picking up two pilgrims with symptoms of hypothermia and exhaustion near the Lepoeder pass and another near the Croix de Thibault who was...
Between Villafranca Montes de Oca and San Juan de Ortega there was a great resting place with benches, totem poles andvarious wooden art. A place of good vibes. It is now completely demolished...
Left Saint Jean this morning at 7am. Got to Roncesvalles just before 1:30. Weather was clear and beautiful! I didn't pre book, and was able to get a bed. I did hear they were all full by 4pm...
Hi there - we are two 'older' women from Australia who will be walking the Camino in September and October 2025 - we are tempted by the companies that pre book accomodation and bag transfers but...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back