• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Lightweight sit pads

Mar Oregon

Time of past OR future Camino
Hoping to walk in 2020
Has anyone carried a light weight sitting pad for those times when you just need a break but you are in between towns? I’ve seen some that weigh only 1-2 ounces. Just thinking a foam seat pad might help keep my bum dry if it’s wet or muddy when I need to sit on the ground to check my feet or change my socks. Or let’s just say that maybe I’m just a hedonistic pilgrim and I want to enjoy the view with a modicum of comfort for my derrière. (This last statement is actually fairly true.) Yah, I know I could make do sitting on a plastic bag if I needed to but...What do you guys do?

Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-
St James' Way - Self-guided 4-7 day Walking Packages, Reading to Southampton, 110 kms
20190626_084748.jpg

29 cm X 39 cm, less than an ounce, 22 grams....very cheap...
folds easily, always follows me on every field trip and on every camino.
when changing socks on wet grass, I can place my feet on it.....

Last edited:
Join our full-service guided tour and let us convert you into a Pampered Pilgrim!
White packaging foam works , the soft polypropylene flexible sort used for electronic goods. Lighter than air , flexible and water proof , doubles as a dinner table , surgical platform and pillow as well.

The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
Has anyone carried a light weight sitting pad for those times when you just need a break but you are in between towns? I’ve seen some that weigh only 1-2 ounces. Just thinking a foam seat pad might help keep my bum dry if it’s wet or muddy when I need to sit on the ground to check my feet or change my socks. Or let’s just say that maybe I’m just a hedonistic pilgrim and I want to enjoy the view with a modicum of comfort for my derrière. (This last statement is actually fairly true.) Yah, I know I could make do sitting on a plastic bag if I needed to but...What do you guys do?

I ALWAYS carry a Thermarest Ultralight pad - it is expensive, but much more comfortable than a foam pad. Since my bottom is not padded naturally, this makes up for any lack.... And when lightly inflated only and folded in half it has served as a pillow. And when there was no padding/mattress for sleeping on the floor in a ferry it has served as a hip pad, using my spare clothes as blanket and pillow.

Try taking a piece of bubble wrap from your last Amazon purchase--light, dry, and you're recycling!

On the first couple of caminos I sat on my hat, then I used to carry a piece cut off the end of a yoga mat. I have now discovered the fold up mat from Globetrotters and now never travel without it. It has been invaluable allowing me to sit comfortably : - on potentially prickly grass / nettles etc, when seats are dirty - especially if they are covered in bird droppings, when it is frosty or snowing, or when it is wet. I just store it in the side pocket of my pack and pull it out when needed. A very useful piece of equipment

A selection of Camino Jewellery
On the first couple of caminos I sat on my hat, then I used to carry a piece cut off the end of a yoga mat. I have now discovered the fold up mat from Globetrotters and now never travel without it. It has been invaluable allowing me to sit comfortably : - on potentially prickly grass / nettles etc, when seats are dirty - especially if they are covered in bird droppings, when it is frosty or snowing, or when it is wet. I just store it in the side pocket of my pack and pull it out when needed. A very useful piece of equipment

Some rucksacks (OMM) use a sit mat as a pack stiffener. My Jirishanca 35L uses this as it is an ultralight bag. They have Velcro strips which means two together will give you a sleeping mat. Ya need to be kinda hardy in the first place tho so I got over that idea very swiftly! I too use my hat to sit on or the ruck or simply my sanctified arse! :) Isn't there a thing called a z mat which folds up?

buen camino

yours aye, the malingerer.

Mar I will be walking next year and I had the same concerns as you as I suffer from sciatica if I sit on any hard surface so I purchased this Thermarest Z-seat which weighs only 2 ounces and so easy to slip into your pack.
https://www.amazon.com/dp/B01MQRHYJV/?tag=casaivar02-20

Attachments

• F155CA2E-1A4A-46F6-BCE6-35E49F914BFF.png
    F155CA2E-1A4A-46F6-BCE6-35E49F914BFF.png
    1.1 MB · Views: 29
Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-
Bubble wrap. It weighs nothing and folds up small. Perfect.

View attachment 59888

29 cm X 39 cm, less than an ounce, 22 grams....very cheap...
folds easily, always follows me on every field trip and on every camino.
when changing socks on wet grass, I can place my feet on it.....
I usually use similar one. I think same material different folding. Yes, it works well and very cheap & light.

Thanks for all the ideas. I had not thought of bubble wrap but that’s a great idea. I will need to stop myself popping the bubbles in absent minded fiddling. Really great idea!

My pack does not have the foam stiffening piece at the back but I have been thinking of adding one just to see if I like my practice walks better with or without. That might be an ideal solution if I can get it in/out easily. Where did I put that old yoga mat?

My brother is an avid backpacker and he swears by his z fold seat pad. Not sure what brand. His has reflective silver on one side to keep your backside a bit warmer. Gonna borrow his and take it for a test drive. And thanks for the tips on Globetrotters brand of cushions. I’ll check them out.

The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
Tyvek! (Trade name in US, someone in Europe please reply with Euro equivalent) This material comes in two weights: the heavier one is used in home construction as a vapor barrier, the lighter one is used for kites. My first piece lasted ten years (then my file clerk misplaced it). A piece approx the dimensions of a sleep sack weighs less than an ounce, acts as a vapor barrier when sitting on damp ground, keeps one's trousers clean (making laundry much easier), and comfortably accommodate those post-lunch naps.

Last edited:
St James' Way - Self-guided 4-7 day Walking Packages, Reading to Southampton, 110 kms
Tyvek! (Trade name in US, someone in Europe please reply with Euro equivalent) This material comes in two weights: the heavier one is used in home construction as a vapor barrier, the lighter one is used for kites. My first piece lasted ten years (then my file clerk misplaced it). A piece approx the dimensions of a sleep sack weighs less than an ounce, acts as a vapor barrier, keeps one's trousers clean (making laundry much easier), and comfortably accommodate those post-lunch naps.
Tyvek is great for so many things. I just finished making a small stuff sack from it. For sure I will pack a tyvek “nap mat”

I enjoyed reading all the suggestions above. I'm familiar with most of the products above for wilderness hiking but the need for these things never occurred to me during my Camino Frances last spring. I checked my back pack into luggage and put it in a tyvek type bag to keep the straps from getting yanked off or the back pack material being torn by baggage handling machinery so I always had it with me if I needed it for other things.

The Camino has SO MANY place to sit down. Outdoor seating at Bars and restaurants, benches at "look out" points, picnic tables in parks, grassy spots under shade trees. If there is not a place to sit down where you are, there will be one in another mile or two.

If it was rainy or the ground wet, I never felt interested in sitting down in those conditions. I might stop and enjoy a beautiful view and take pictures for a few minutes but the idea of then sitting down in a wet area never entered my mind. Under pleasant conditions I would sit down, take a short rest or nap but again I could always find a good piece of ground to do it on under a shady tree. I suppose there will be a day when my body says I have to stop right now and rest, regardless of the weather and another mile is out of the question. Then I'll pull out that big tyvek Demobag as seen below. DemoBags (as in demolition) on amazon.

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B073H9RQQH/?tag=casaivar02-20

Last edited:
Join our full-service guided tour and let us convert you into a Pampered Pilgrim!
I hunted for this, given by a friend and tucked away in a corner. It is about 30cm square when opened, and is one of those items that weighs nothing...jury still out on whether I will bother to carry it though! Brand name, Regatta
Regatta have a sale at the moment, 50% off a lot of items. ireland.

9380B3AF-2970-4DD3-844B-4AE96EB18FB2.jpeg

Last edited by a moderator:
For tyvek fans: Would this be useful?
Interesting idea! That product is sort of a Tyvek-skinned bubble wrap. My problem with it is the same as my problem with bubble wrap: since the bubbles don't collapse, it takes up too much volume in my (gee, I downsized) pack. Also, sometimes bubble wrap bubbles do indeed collapse. So I'll stick with the straight Tyvek, I think.

€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.
if volume is the issue, this might be the ultimate:

I have the Klymit Inertia Xframe in full body length and it it like a can of coca cola when rolled up and very light, this sitting pad is even smaller... 2,6 oz/ 74 gram

Last edited:
Ever seen the 'Plarn' sleeping mats people have been making for the homeless? I'm wondering how much a sit mat would weigh. 🤔

Attachments

• plastic_bag.jpg.653x0_q80_crop-smart.jpg
    plastic_bag.jpg.653x0_q80_crop-smart.jpg
    67.8 KB · Views: 19
Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-
Are you planning on walking the Camino francés? As @twh pointed out, there are plenty of places to rest or sit down without having to carry extra stuff. Imo, the lighter your pack, the better 😉
On other Caminos - with nothing in between stages - I have used my poncho or my rain jacket to sit on in an emergency (when the ground was wet...)

Last edited:
I use a padded notebook sleeve, purchased from an office supplies shop. It is big enough for the purpose, light and really makes a difference when sitting on a rock on a mountaintop. It is rectangular and probably about 30cm or 12” diagonal size. Can be fit into the intermal pocket in my backpack.

Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-
I never sit, except if I find a suitable spot to eat lunch. It is just too hard to get up. But then, I never stop, except at lunch time, or I really need to do the necessary. I remember sitting on the edge of a sidewalk and sharing my lunch with another walker, in a cemetery which was busy with family members decorating graves. shortly before the Day of the Dead. But it was none to easy to arise. A grave would have been more comfortable, but possibly offensive to family members. Hint: if they are open, cemeteries are good places to have lunch, as there is often water on tap for the flower arrangers.

I'm taking this. It weighs 22 oz/622 gms. It folds up so I can attach it to my backpack. It sits on the ground and it has a back so you can lean back.

Attachments

• chair1.jpg
    chair1.jpg
    32.9 KB · Views: 14
  • chair2.jpg
    chair2.jpg
    30.2 KB · Views: 13
Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-
I got one of these https://www.ikea.com/us/en/catalog/...Edj85zJ7mlhsiHlkmYihovlYqJ2rxinRoCD0cQAvD_BwE for transporting my pack in the plane cargo hold - to keep the pack/straps safe. 6 oz. In keeping with the notion of everything having multiple purposes, it will serve as a great barrier for sitting on wet or messy surfaces. Won't however do much for padding but then I naturally carry an excessive amount of that already . . .

Oh that's nice. I didn't know Ikea had those, although 7 oz its a bit high in weight. I have the Zpacks Travel Case (3.3 oz/94 g) but I've never used it.
LOL - Z-packs Travel Case = $65/3.3 oz or Ikea $4.99/6-7 oz -- I may have become a gram-weenie, but I'm a cheap one! I'll manage the extra 3 oz very well thank you.

Has anyone carried a light weight sitting pad for those times when you just need a break but you are in between towns?

My backpack - a Gossamer Gear Gorilla 40 - includes a SitLight pad that is part of the frame structure of the pack (closest to your back). It is easy to remove and put back as needed. It's a great feature and I don't have to figure out where to stuff it, store it or tie it.

The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
LOL - Z-packs Travel Case = $65/3.3 oz or Ikea $4.99/6-7 oz -- I may have become a gram-weenie, but I'm a cheap one! I'll manage the extra 3 oz very well thank you.
I used the Zpacks travel case when I checked my pack last time, then used it as my waterproof pack liner.

Oh, and to stay on topic here, my new Gossamer Gear Kumo 36 has a "sit light" pad too. Haven't actually used it for sitting yet...

Most read last week in this forum

70+ year old, 5 ft. tall, 110 lb. female hiking the full Northern Route (del Norte). My goal is to carry no more than 12 pounds/5.44 kg. Ideally, I'd like to carry less. I'm planning to use a...
Has anyone tried wearing sun sleeves? Seems they might be good for protection from the sun while also perhaps forgoing the need for a long-sleeve shirt? My concern is whether or not the fit is...
Sorry if this seems trivial, but I leave in 26 days for my first Camino (Frances). I’m finalizing my backpack items figuring what makes the honored Final Cut. Question: I was gonna bring a...
I usually wear Motion Control, but thought I might try something new this year. What are YOUR favorites, and why?
Does anyone have any experience with getting a custom rain cover for an Osprey pack? After 4 different caminos I am now grappling with using my rain suit which I prefer vs a poncho because my...
I walked the Camino Portuguese in September 2023 and loved the experience. I'm looking forward to my next Camino sometime in 2025. Although I didn't need a blanket on the Portuguese, I'm...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.