• Get your Camino Frances Guidebook here.
  • For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Lightweight sleeping bag October - November 2020

Join our full-service guided tour and let us convert you into a Pampered Pilgrim!
The first edition came out in 2003 and has become the go-to-guide for many pilgrims over the years. It is shipping with a Pilgrim Passport (Credential) from the cathedral in Santiago de Compostela.
I used this mummy bag for three weeks last year and was happy with it. It was late October, early November from Barcelona to Pamplona. That is only slightly lower in latitude. If you can't find the same bag you can use the temperature ratings to seek out something similar.

Screenshot_20200909-080850.png

All the sleeping was done indoors though.

I used this mummy bag for three weeks last year and was happy with it. It was late October, early November from Barcelona to Pamplona. That is only slightly lower in latitude. If you can't find the same bag you can use the temperature ratings to seek out something similar.

View attachment 82684

All the sleeping was done indoors though.
This looks excellent just found it for sale at £42.99 and fits our requirements perfectly. Thank you so much for taking the time to photograph the spec. Much appreciated.

Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
This looks excellent just found it for sale at £42.99 and fits our requirements perfectly. Thank you so much for taking the time to photograph the spec. Much appreciated.

September and October camino, 35 days, always in an alburge. Ohuhu not currently available. Was $30.

Attachments

• 20190311_110231.jpg
    20190311_110231.jpg
    4.3 MB · Views: 72
Could anyone recommend any lightweight sleeping bags suitable for doing the Camino Frances in October - November?

If there is a stockist nearby or you trust them enough to order online, try RAB. They are my go to sleeping bags of choice. I prefer down over synthetic, especially in warmth to weight ratio but it is a matter of choice and a good natter to a friendly stockist might help matters! :)

Buen Camino.

Samarkand.

Remember to think about the layers of clothing that you can use to supplement the sleeping bag, as needed. There are other ways to stay warm. I carry a very lightweight down bag (made from a cheap down quilt) that is not always warm enough. However, I often sleep in a sleeveless down vest - it is less bulky and hot than a jacket - and I can wear 2 (or even 3) layers of lightweight merino if necessary. Wear socks and perhaps a buff or hat.

Don't let yourself get cold and then get into your bag thinking you will warm up. It is far better to start off with the extra layers and then remove them if you get too warm. That's one reason I like the down vest (sleeveless jacket) - it is a big fit and is easy to remove, or even place over my hips and legs inside the sleeping bag.

St James' Way - Self-guided 4-7 day Walking Packages, Reading to Southampton, 110 kms
Remember to think about the layers of clothing that you can use to supplement the sleeping bag, as needed. There are other ways to stay warm. I carry a very lightweight down bag (made from a cheap down quilt) that is not always warm enough. However, I often sleep in a sleeveless down vest - it is less bulky and hot than a jacket - and I can wear 2 (or even 3) layers of lightweight merino if necessary. Wear socks and perhaps a buff or hat.

Don't let yourself get cold and then get into your bag thinking you will warm up. It is far better to start off with the extra layers and then remove them if you get too warm. That's one reason I like the down vest (sleeveless jacket) - it is a big fit and is easy to remove, or even place over my hips and legs inside the sleeping bag.

I often put my sleeping bag foot end into my rucksack. I use the hood end of my bag instead of a hat and spare clothes into a dry bag for a pillow. We all have our little quirks! When I was younger and fitter e.g. 65 :) my sleeping bag of choice was a big ole RAB ATLAS 750 down 4 season! Bulky yes but compressed down very well and nothing but nothing got through! :)

Yours aye

samarkand

If there is a stockist nearby or you trust them enough to order online, try RAB. They are my go to sleeping bags of choice. I prefer down over synthetic, especially in warmth to weight ratio but it is a matter of choice and a good natter to a friendly stockist might help matters! :)

Buen Camino.

Samarkand.
Thank you for your reply much appeciated

Sea to Summit Traveler 1 is a compact down bag, packs small, hoigh loft (expansion rate on downs).
It has cords in both ends if usen a normal sleeping bag and zips up as a blanket.

Traveler II is a warmer bag but also lightweight....

The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.
I had also planned to walk through October, early Nov, but another thread on here was pretty discouraging regarding early closures of albergues etc bc of the recent surge in Covid cases.
Sue (and anyone) - what is your opinion on issues of closures etc? I don't want a packed camino, but I did hope to meet fellow walkers and have (sometimes) sociable experiences walking or at towns along the way.

I had also planned to walk through October, early Nov, but another thread on here was pretty discouraging regarding early closures of albergues etc bc of the recent surge in Covid cases.
Sue (and anyone) - what is your opinion on issues of closures etc? I don't want a packed camino, but I did hope to meet fellow walkers and have (sometimes) sociable experiences walking or at towns along the way.
Hi Clint, I am starting the Camino Frances on 3rd October after cancelling it in April due to the lockdown. I too have read many differing opinions on the forum but for personal and work reasons I would not be able to walk again until 2022. I respect all the opinions of fellow pilgrims, positive or negative, but I have taken the decision to walk the Camino and hopefully support the local businesses along the way. Gareth's interview yesterday gave me optimism that it is still achievable, albeit with less pilgrims and fewer accommodation choices. Good luck whatever you decide!

Hi Clint, I am starting the Camino Frances on 3rd October after cancelling it in April due to the lockdown. I too have read many differing opinions on the forum but for personal and work reasons I would not be able to walk again until 2022. I respect all the opinions of fellow pilgrims, positive or negative, but I have taken the decision to walk the Camino and hopefully support the local businesses along the way. Gareth's interview yesterday gave me optimism that it is still achievable, albeit with less pilgrims and fewer accommodation choices. Good luck whatever you decide!
Hey thanks Graham for the reply! I was about to give up on my plans, trying to decide right now.
Do you think it will be quite empty, and you are fine with that? Or do you think it will still somehow manage to be somewhat gregarious (although obviously much different than normal)?
"Low" numbers of peregrinos and closures in Aug/Sept would still leave a lot. I guess I am curious about Oct/Nov bc it is already a slower season even in normal years, so a reduction by Covid...just trying to get an idea how it might be.
Anyway - congrats on your bravery and decision :) If I do come would be almost exactly on your same date,, we'll see.
Buen Camino!

A selection of Camino Jewellery
PS "Gareth's interview" ? I saw Ivar's video about Covid and the camino. What/where is Gareth's video? Thanks again btw :)

Hey thanks Graham for the reply! I was about to give up on my plans, trying to decide right now.
Do you think it will be quite empty, and you are fine with that? Or do you think it will still somehow manage to be somewhat gregarious (although obviously much different than normal)?
"Low" numbers of peregrinos and closures in Aug/Sept would still leave a lot. I guess I am curious about Oct/Nov bc it is already a slower season even in normal years, so a reduction by Covid...just trying to get an idea how it might be.
Anyway - congrats on your bravery and decision :) If I do come would be almost exactly on your same date,, we'll see.
Buen Camino!
Judging by the numbers arriving in Santiago at the moment I am expecting it to be very quiet but one of my reasons to walk the Camino is to get away from a very hectic and busy life so the solitude will be quite welcome. Having said that I am still hoping to meet pilgrims on the road and, as Gareth did, in the evenings. Keep me posted on your plans - at least I know there will be at least one other peregrino on the way!
I have had two flights to France cancelled so have now booked a flight to Madrid then an onward connection to Pamplona where I am hoping to get the bus or even share a taxi to SJPDP
Buen Camino!

The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.
I have had two flights to France cancelled so have now booked a flight to Madrid then an onward connection to Pamplona where I am hoping to get the bus or even share a taxi to SJPDP
ALSA/CONDA to St. Jean Pied de Port

Pamplona to Roncevalles with Artieda coaches

Pamplona to Valcarlos and Arnéguy with PLM coaches

Judging by the numbers arriving in Santiago at the moment I am expecting it to be very quiet but one of my reasons to walk the Camino is to get away from a very hectic and busy life so the solitude will be quite welcome. Having said that I am still hoping to meet pilgrims on the road and, as Gareth did, in the evenings. Keep me posted on your plans - at least I know there will be at least one other peregrino on the way!
Buen Camino!
Yeah, I am undecided bc I have too much solitude right now...long story.
Anyway, as I mention on my bio, I lived in Pamplona for several years. This is the link to a very very good friend...if he is still doing this, contact Pablo. I left long before he started this service, but I can vouch for 1) his English and 2) that he is an extremely nice person, with a lot of interesting family in Pamplona as well (the Taverna bakeries etc.). https://www.caminodesantiago.me/community/resources/pablo-ruiz-taberna.255/

Edited by Moderator re Rule 2

Last edited by a moderator:
Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-
Hi Graham, I was due to fly to Biarritz this Sunday, but because of what Ivar has said and the introduction of quarantine in France for travelers from the uk. I now plan to do camino in October. So I think you will not be alone. We must not let grass grow on the camino.

Hi Graham, I was due to fly to Biarritz this Sunday, but because of what Ivar has said and the introduction of quarantine in France for travelers from the uk. I now plan to do camino in October. So I think you will not be alone. We must not let grass grow on the camino.
Hi Massey, great sentiment and totally agree! Out of interest where are you flying from in the UK? I had flights from both Manchester and Bristol cancel so checked ferries, trains and eventually opted for a flight from Manchester to Madrid with Ryanair.

Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-
To Graham, My flight was from Stanstead. It normally operates daily but like your flights it can change. Whatever I do has to be Covid compliant so there is no question of spending a night in France otherwise you have then to quarantine. I’m now looking at Madrid and then train to Roncesvalles which takes 4 hours. The other option is to Santiago de Compostela and then get train to Roncesvalles. If you want you can contact me on 07956467558 if you need anymore information.

To Graham, My flight was from Stanstead. It normally operates daily but like your flights it can change. Whatever I do has to be Covid compliant so there is no question of spending a night in France otherwise you have then to quarantine. I’m now looking at Madrid and then train to Roncesvalles which takes 4 hours. The other option is to Santiago de Compostela and then get train to Roncesvalles. If you want you can contact me on 07956467558 if you need anymore information.
I wasn't aware there was a mandatory quarantine by starting in St Jean? Others on this forum have recently started in St Jean and completed the Camino - it would be interesting to know their experience with quarantine. I have an onward flight to Pamplona then was planning to take a bus or taxi over to SJPDP. Thank you for the advice - I will do more research and get back to you

Hi Sue, sorry to hijack your thread with my travel plans so just to answer your original post my sleeping bag is an Ayacucho Lite 700b from Cotswold Outdoor. I think I paid around £40 with a 20% military discount. I originally bought it for my planned Camino in May so have now added a bag liner to it for extra warmth.

Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.

Many thanks for the tips. We have now bought our sleeping bags and from previous walks have lots of layers including Merino long sleeve tops. Good tip about the sleeveless down vest, I'll check that out

Buen Camino!
We're going for it still - beginning 8 October but aware that might have to book into private (and eek more expensive) accommodation. It is a real shame that numbers will be significantly down and this will impact on who we meet but when the time is right the time is right!

Hi Sue, sorry to hijack your thread with my travel plans so just to answer your original post my sleeping bag is an Ayacucho Lite 700b from Cotswold Outdoor. I think I paid around £40 with a 20% military discount. I originally bought it for my planned Camino in May so have now added a bag liner to it for extra warmth.
Thanks for your reply, we've ordered our bags as per the first thread and cost a similar price.

Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-
If you are wondering if you have to self isolate on arrival in France from UK currently you do NOT have to according to UK Gov

I purchased, but ultimately did not bring, an ultra lightweight fleece one-layer sleeping sack in lieu of a more layered, lined/filled sleeping bag. I was fine in Sept., when I walked, with silk long underwear the few nights it was chilly. But you might look at that rather than a traditional sleeping bag, also.

A selection of Camino Jewellery
Hi Sue, someone at the forum suggested the China-made Aegismax down sleepingbag, only 560 grams and on Amazon at Eur 90,-, which is quite affordable for an ultralight down sleepingbag. I walked my Camino Frances sections with it in November and February and slept nice and warm:)

It’s gone up a bit in price, but still the best value for money, if you’re going in spring or autumn. Packs down really small.

Most read last week in this forum

My name is Henrik and I will be coming down to SJPdP from Sweden on March 26 and start walking on March 27. I don't really have any experience and I'm not the best at planning and I'm a little...
When I hiked the Frances Route this happened. I was hiking in the afternoon just east of Arzua. I was reserved a bed at an albergue in Arzua, so I had already hiked all the way from San Xulien...
I'd like some recommendations about where to find the most current and up to date information about albergues that are actually open. I'm currently walking the camino Frances, and I can't even...
I am finalizing my packing list for Frances, and do not want to over pack. (I am 71) I will be starting at SJPdP on April 25th to Roncesvalles and forward. I was hoping on some advise as to...
First marker starting from Albergue Monasterio de la Magdalena in Sarria (113.460 km) Start: 2023.9.29 07:22 Arrival: 2023.9.30 13:18 walking time : 26 hours 47 minutes rest time : 3 hours 8...
A local Navarra website has posted a set of photos showing today's snowfall in the area around Roncesvalles. About 15cm of snow fell this morning surprising pilgrims on the way...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back