• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Lightweight wind jackets for Sanabres in summer: advice wanted

Donna Sch

Veteran Member
Time of past OR future Camino
VdLP-Sanabres-Fisterra '15; Levante-Invierno '19
I've been watching Stephen's videos as he does the VDLP and the Sanabres route as it goes through the ranges looks like it has the potential to be very hot or very cold even in summer.I figure a windbreaker under 200g would be the most practical option for wind. I have a poncho in case it does rain but that wouldn't work just for a cool wind.
Can anyone comment on the pros and cons of what they have used?

New Original Camino Gear Designed Especially with The Modern Peregrino In Mind!
I have used my Rab Wisp pertex windpoof jacket for three walks into Galicia now and wouldn't even consider walking without it. It is only one layer and weighs less than 200g, but you can get them even lighter - my husband's EDZ pertex pullover jacket weighs half that. They really do take the windchill off, and layered with merino inner and a microfleece top it gets nice and warm in there. Mine is also splash proof so will be okay for a light drizzle, if the heavens open I just pull my Altus poncho on and zip it up over the windjacket. I have seen people with thicker heavier all-weather jackets and they can get too hot to walk in, meaning you have to open the zip and then let the wind in. Pertex gets my vote.

I've been watching Stephen's videos as he does the VDLP and the Sanabres route as it goes through the ranges looks like it has the potential to be very hot or very cold even in summer.I figure a windbreaker under 200g would be the most practical option for wind. I have a poncho in case it does rain but that wouldn't work just for a cool wind.
Can anyone comment on the pros and cons of what they have used?
Hi, it All depends what time of the year late spring to early autum a very light one around or less than 200 hrs with ventilation. We do buy them locally here in establishments like decathlon, economical. Saludos

New Original Camino Gear Designed Especially with The Modern Peregrino In Mind!
Does anyone have a Patagonia Houdini wind jacket (113g)? I'm interested in how that compares to a Rab Cirrus.
I am after something with sleeves and I think a jacket rather than a smock or pullover design would be more practical.
I'm also wondering whether I should buy the Mens or Womens jacket. I fit a small mens in most things whereas here in Australia I fit between size 10-12, have pretty broad shoulders for a female and not much of a bust. I notice the womens version has a slim fit cut but I'm not sure if this is an advantage.
Decisions, decisions...

Last edited:
Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
I just found out the real difference between Mens and Women's sizes. Women's sleeves are MUCH shorter because the measures are taken from the neck, across the shoulder and then down the arm. So as a female with broad shoulders, women's jackets are probably not going to fit well. Explains why my long sleeve shirts are not that long.

I prefer, when possible, to have 'double duty' clothing.

My rain jacket (11 ounces) also serves as a wind breaker. So I can layer it over a fleece, I can wear it for rain protection, etc. Its lighter than carrying both a poncho + wind breaker.

Sea to summit rain poncho = 367g and can cover my entire pack which a normal pack cover can't do ( I have an Aarn). The rain poncho covers me for real rain. It's big enough to jury rig into a shelter if required using my poles and/or umbrella. I also have a hiking umbrella. I am seriously thinking about the Patagonia Houdini at 113g as a windbreaker/long sleeves as I need something so I don't get hypothermia if the temp goes below 20 deg C ( in my part of the world the locals all start whinging when it drops below 20 Celcius and drag out the winter woollies if it hits 16 degrees.) But I don't want a waterproof Goretex sweatbox either. Wetness causes problems. The Patagonia Houdini jacket can be opened up if needed and so is more flexible in that respect than an anorak style. I also like that it has pockets because it has to be useful to me once I am at home again. I have a long sleeve shirt and a couple of technical Tshirts, one thin runners shirt and another that is a merino mix. I'm not convinced that I need a fleece and I'll pick one up along the way if I'm wrong. It will be mid summer after all! I will probably wear an old fleece sweatshirt on the plane trip to Spain as planes tend to get cold and may end up leaving it in Sevilla is it is too warm.
Everything I will be taking has to be multipurpose otherwise it stays at home.

Join our full-service guided tour of the Basque Country and let us pamper you!
My wife uses a Marmot "Essence" for wind and for rain. It is 141 grams, so a few more than the Patagonia Houdini. But it uses a new waterproof/breathable fabric that is more breathable + more waterproof than Goretex. The Houdini is not waterproof.

She wore it recently on a trail hike in one of our national parks and appreciated the moldable brim on the hood that allowed her to shape it to keep the rain off her face. It also has a vertical chest pocket that she could access while wearing her backpack. The horizontal chest pocket on the Patagonia (seems like most of their products have those, my daughter's fleece also has one) is unusable when wearing a backpack. If you cannot tell, I am not a fan of Patagonia for backpacking, their hand warmer pockets are cut low on most of their fleeces and jackets so they hip belt covers them, etc

I used my The North Face Apex Lite as both my windbreaker and my rain coat. It was fine in the short downpours I encountered and great in drizzle. 187 grams

Donna, as you know I haven't done the VdlP /Sanabres yet so ... not speaking from experience.
What I have taken before, for camino francés, was just a light fleece and a poncho. The 1st year (2012) I was very cold in the mountains, starting just after Rabanal, it was 1degC and the wind was very strong. I really wished I had brought something to wear on my head (a hoodie or a buff or even a woolie hat!) But fortunately once on the other side we were protected from the wind. I wore socks on my hands for a while too.
The 2nd year (2013) I packed the same plus a buff but it wasn't cold at all! Never needed it. Btw, same time exactly, mid July to mid-August. So it's really difficult to tell.
This year I'm thinking of not even taking the poncho since I'll have an umbrella. :cool: So maybe instead a windproof/shower proof jacket ... It's a Rohan one, only 60g and it served me well in cold spells in Eastern Europe this Autumn, worn on top of the fleece.
My stuff will be packed in dry-bags so no backpack cover either .
I may live to regret this :eek::D

A selection of Camino Jewellery
I love my Outdoor Research ultralight Helium II waterproof rain jacket. Woman's large weighs in at about 6 oz and stuffs into it's pocket for easy packing. I have a built in rain cover for my Deuter pack.

I'm after windproof rather than waterproof. The current favourite is the women's Arc'Teryx Squamish. Pricey and definitely at the top of the range of what I am willing to fork out but I like the sizing. It is enough rain proof to keep me happy. And they have nicer colours :)
Although the silver lining white/grey is the one that currently appeals for sunny weather...
And my 14 year old who is hiking in Malaysia in December should be able to make use of it as well.
Decisions, decisions...!

A selection of Camino Jewellery
Arc'teryx is awesome stuff. Their clothes and their equipment are simply 'best in class' when it comes to materials and quality of construction, fit and finish is superb. I have several Arc'tryx items and love them all. But certainly are very expensive. Still, you can feel the difference in their quality every time you put on their clothes.

That might be fine in warm/hot weather but those sleeves are very short, in a cold rain you'd be miserable from cold arms below the elbow.
If you prefer such sleeved poncho it is fine.

Can you really keep your hands from getting cold if they are exposed. I am yet to discover an effective system for that. In really cold rain, I put my arms inside the poncho and still able to use my trekking poles as these ponchos, by design, offers more room for hand movement. I wear a merino wool liner glove to keep my hands getting cold from poncho condensation. I had great success with this system on Norte last year. Just my 2c.

Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-

Most read last week in this forum

Hi! I'm traveling to Porto tomorrow and starting the Camino on the 19th, the problem is that I've just weighed my pack and it's 2 kilos more than it should be! Should I get rid of some stuff or...
Hello all - thank you all so much for all of the guidance on what is not my only first camino but first hike over about 5 miles! I've headed a lot of advice about backpacks and trekking poles and...
While reading through one of the more recent water bottle vs. hydration bladder debates, I was reminded of something I came across a few weeks ago, bookmarked, and promptly forgot about until said...
I've stopped procrastinating and done my first pack. Was a bit nervous about being under 7kg hand luggage, but on the first try I've come to 5.9kg (13 pounds). (Not counting one set walking...
Hi there! I was on the fence about poles bc I've never used them and as mentioned previously, brand new to hiking. But because I'm in treatment for breast cancer and as such have a decent amount...
Starting our Camino on May 6. Super excited! These forums have been awesome! Doing Coastal Portuguese from Porto with my daughter and her girlfriend. Definitely packing good lightweight rain...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.