• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Linen as a towel

Bumpa

Time of past OR future Camino
Camino Frances Roncesvalles to Sahagun Oct 2016
Sahagun to SDC April 2017 Burgos to SDC April 2018
Forgive me if there have been previous discussions on this topic, but I posted this question in reply to some one else and it seems to have gotten lost. New poster....bear with me :)

I am starting from SJPDP on April 13th and look forward to meeting kindred souls. I have a micro fiber travel towel which seems to push the moisture around my body rather than dry me. Has anyone used linen as a drying towel and a) is it effective and b) does it dry itself relatively quickly

€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.
I hate microfiber towels. They do exactly what you say, push the water around.
I use an old worn terry cloth towel torn in half.
I've also used unbleached muslin, washed several times, and that worked great as a lightweight towel.
I've also used a knobby cotton towel.
All worked better than microfiber.

3rd Edition. More content, training & pack guides avoid common mistakes, bed bugs etc
I took a flour-sack tea towel each time, kind of like linen. Very absorbent, very light, dries fast, washed it frequently. Can't stand microfibre. Did appreciate proper bath towels when available!

Although I own a few linen garments (light weight, very absorbent and quick drying) only once have I bought a length of linen material and worked with it; that was to make some linen handkerchiefs for a dear friend, at his request. I would think a bit of linen would be great as a drying towel but, as I recall, might be a bit on the expensive side. I'd try for a light cotton tea towel.
Buen Camino.

Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
Yes, I bought a very lightweight linen yard of fabric and it worked very well. Dries quickly and actually takes the water off instead of moving it around. :)

I took a flour-sack tea towel each time, kind of like linen. Very absorbent, very light, dries fast, washed it frequently. Can't stand microfibre. Did appreciate proper bath towels when available!
A flour sack towel is a great idea!

The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
I have shoulder-length hair. Although I love the idea of a linen or sack cloth towel, one wipe over my head would soak the material and leave a damp rag for the rest of me :(

€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.
I have shoulder-length hair. Although I love the idea of a linen or sack cloth towel, one wipe over my head would soak the material and leave a damp rag for the rest of me :(

I'll let you know. My hair was long at one time but the pink is starting to show through the top. At least it hasn't affected the walking :)

I used a baby muslin wrap and a muslin wash cloth. Dry in minutes and dry body well too. And are super lightweight. Also good to drape over head to keep mozzies off at night.

Each to their own.

I use micro-fibre towels.

I do not notice water being pushed around.

My towels are like flat sheets, are very absorbent and dry quickly.

Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-
Well Icacos we had a light hearted group once called "The Friends of Al" for us Caminoholics! I am incurable I am afraid. As my PC told me when I switched on this morning. "Good morning Allan. You have 53 days more to go before your Camino".

St James' Way - Self-guided 4-7 day Walking Packages, Reading to Southampton, 110 kms

Most read last week in this forum

My son has advised me to delete unnecessary apps, books, podcasts, downloaded videos etc from my iPhone. Saves up to 250gms. Great weight saving hack.
Hi! I'm traveling to Porto tomorrow and starting the Camino on the 19th, the problem is that I've just weighed my pack and it's 2 kilos more than it should be! Should I get rid of some stuff or...
Hello all - thank you all so much for all of the guidance on what is not my only first camino but first hike over about 5 miles! I've headed a lot of advice about backpacks and trekking poles and...
I am finally embarking on my first camino later this year. I will be taking my Canon R6 camera with me. For others that have taken DLSR’s or mirrorless cameras, what lens or lenses did you find...
While reading through one of the more recent water bottle vs. hydration bladder debates, I was reminded of something I came across a few weeks ago, bookmarked, and promptly forgot about until said...
With this device, you can pack everything you might want (including your fears) irrespective of weight.

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.