• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Liner or sleeping bag

Time of past OR future Camino
FRuture: Camino Sureste (2022)
I will be starting the camino del Norte next week and continue on the ruta del Mar first week of October.
I am in a dilemma wether to cary only a liner bag or sleeping bag.
There is a difference of 400gms in weight.
Can anyone help me to decide.
I appreciate opinions.
Thank you and buen camino.
Raymond aquilina

A selection of Camino Jewellery
There are dozens and dozens of threads on this issue on this forum. If you just plug in "Sleeping bag or liner" at the search icon on the top right corner of the screen, it will take you to them.

The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.
There are dozens and dozens of threads on this issue on this forum. If you just plug in "Sleeping bag or liner" at the search icon on the top right corner of the screen, it will take you to them.
If you are slightly disobedient like me, then I will give you the short answer. I did Camino del Note late Sept and the liner was fine . There are blankets usually available in the albergues and minimising weight and bulk is priority .

Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-
I will be starting the camino del Norte next week and continue on the ruta del Mar first week of October.
I appreciate opinions.
Thank you and buen camino.
Raymond aquilina
In Oct, definitely sleeping bag. SJPDP to Santiago, 2018, Sep/Oct. Didn't need it every night but the days that I did glad I had it. Funny, 35 days on the Camino, sleeping bags on most every bunk. Can't remember seeing just a liner. On these threads its the opposite. Go figure.

There are blankets usually available in the albergues
This doesn't have to be the case during the pandemic... I walked the Camino Frances this year in July and you could hardly find any albergues providing blankets. In Roncesvalles you could hear chattering of teeth coming from the beds of the liner-only pilgrims! And it was in the summer.

Last edited by a moderator:
"I am in a dilemma whether to carry only a liner bag or sleeping bag."

I used only a liner -previously sprayed with Permethrin. I also wore knee high socks every night also previously sprayed with permethrin -- it keeps bed bugs and other bugs away. I never once had a bed bug bite. No guarantees, but that's what I did and it worked for me. Have fun.

Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-
I'm glad I joined in on this thread as it provoked a response

We are staying in private accommodations. However, we do not plan on using any blankets from the accommodations. Sheets,pillowcases, yes, because, we know they will be changed daily - but blankets? Instead we will bring our sleeping bags and silk sheets. Just further protection from the virus.

The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
I appreciate opinions.
Light sleeping bag.

I carry both so can use either or both. I am never too cold or too hot in any weather. 400g is 8% of my 5kg pack but it is also <.5% of my body weight.

Most read last week in this forum

Hi all! I walked the Le Puy to Roncesvalles route last spring, and now I am thinking of Arles to Compostela on the Norte in the fall. I have many questions. I have downloaded the WP Norte App. I...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back