• Get your Camino Frances Guidebook here.
  • For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Liner versus sleeping bag

Scubageek

Time of past OR future Camino
Camino Frances (2020)
Hello Pilgrims. I start my Camino April 29, 2020. I will be staying in albergues for the most part. I am not sure if I should use a liner or lightweight sleeping bag. I am starting in Astorga and walking to the ocean.

Thanks for your help.

Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-
Hello Pilgrims. I start my Camino April 29, 2020. I will be staying in albergues for the most part. I am not sure if I should use a liner or lightweight sleeping bag. I am starting in Astorga and walking to the ocean.

Thanks for your help.
Either will work. It depends on how warm you need to be to sleep. If you have one or the other, you can save money by using it!

There were some pretty cold nights especially at higher elevations. I was thankful to have my down quilt and at 1.5lbs it wasn’t a big burden to carry.

Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-
Are you cold natured? If not, just bring a liner. Also a lot of albergues have blankets available. I know that albergue provided blankets get a lot of negative comments on here, but I have used them more times than I can remember and never had any issues with them.

I always bring both. Some times the liner is not enough and sometimes the sleeping bag is too warm. At 119 grams for the liner, the extra weight is well worth sleeping better at night - at least in my optic.

Join our full-service guided tour and let us convert you into a Pampered Pilgrim!
The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
I usually bring a silk liner and a very small down blanket. Together they weigh less than one pound. I tuck the blanket inside the silk liner. For my short "bonus" Camino in September from Porto to Santiago I left the down blanket behind and used albergue blankets. Depending on the time of year for my next Camino I may do the same next time.

Transport luggage-passengers.
From airports to SJPP
Luggage from SJPP to Roncevalles

€60,-
If you want to walk with only the liner, you may want to avoid staying at municipal albergues, as they are moving towards not having blankets available.

The answer to this question depends on how much weight you want to carry. If an extra 2 pounds or so is easy for you to carry because you are young, strong or both go for it. I bring a insect repellent silk liner because the tight weave has prevented any bed bug episodes.
My first Camino I brought a sleeping bag and liner and only used the bag once. Now I only bring a liner because I only stay at private albergues and each bed has a folded blanket at the end.
With a lighter pack my balance is better and by the end of 500 miles my 74 old feet and joints are still happy and injury free.

Thanks for your help.
My advice? Take both. Helios makes a super small sleeping bag that is light to med warm. Very lightweight. So you’d be covered if no blankets. Liner important for bedbugs ( treat yours) I did this in Sept Oct last year. By mid October, nights were super chilly, as in seeing your breath chilly, suspect April May the same.

St James' Way - Self-guided 4-7 day Walking Packages, Reading to Southampton, 110 kms
The answer, as is frequently the case is, 'it depends..."
  • If you stay in commercial lodging, even many private albergues, bed linens and blankets will be provided. A liner is not needed. A sleeping bag is overkill.
  • If you stay in regular municipal or xunta albergues, heat is frequently not on offer. A sleeping bag is a good idea at that time of year.
It also depends whether you a cold when you sleep, or warm when you sleep. I am the latter.

I find that a microfiber liner is sufficient in most every April - May overnight when inside a structure. Here is the liner I settled on after much experimentation:

It is a US vendor. But the price is great. The liner is machine washable and line-dryable. The two-sided zipper allows you to mate two identical bags to form a "couple sleep sack."

Optionally, this liner is available in micro FLEECE, or as a mummy shaped liner. I need the extra room in he rectangular bag.

If this is not enough, I wear my fleece jacket and watch cap. That usually does the trick for me.

I have even used this liner as a towel on one occasion. Works great for that too. It folds and compresses to fit in a one-gallon / three liter ziplock bag at the very bottom of my rucksack, as a 'just-in-case" item.

Hope this helps.

Thanks for your help.
I just use liner. All Alberges have blankets and or duvets! In unlikely event there are neither, put next days clothes on and sleep in liner. I’ve never had to do that. 1572615007639.png

You may look at this in Google:
75 x 29.5'' Mini Outdoor Ultralight Envelope Sleeping Bag Ultra-small Size
I use it usually like quilt.

The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.

Thanks for your help.
I walked rom St Jean in 2015, starting mid April By the time I got half way up Perdon, I was melting in an unseasonal heatwave. By the time I reached Logroño I could stick it no longer so sent home my coat and sleeping bag and bought a poncho and a liner. At the time it was a good decision and reduced the weight. Walking out of Carrion the temps dropped and it was freezing so dug out my gloves and wooly hat that I had thought was just for the Pyrenees. Weather got better and now in May sure it must just keep getting warmer. O Cebreiro it turned again and it was freezing again. That night in Hospital was the coldest night I ever experienced. I write all this by way of saying there is no way anyone can answer your question. I would suggest, but not a definitive answer, that you bring a liner. If its cold you can pick up a bag in St Jean, Pamplona or Logrono. GThat I am afraid is the best I can offer. At the end of the day, who knows with the weather. My daughter is on a cruise just now and with all the resources the Line has, it could not predict that they would be unable to get back to England and would have to extend the trip by three days. Weather is just one of those things that trips up the most intrepid of travellors

I walked rom St Jean in 2015, starting mid April By the time I got half way up Perdon, I was melting in an unseasonal heatwave. By the time I reached Logroño I could stick it no longer so sent home my coat and sleeping bag and bought a poncho and a liner. At the time it was a good decision and reduced the weight. Walking out of Carrion the temps dropped and it was freezing so dug out my gloves and wooly hat that I had thought was just for the Pyrenees. Weather got better and now in May sure it must just keep getting warmer. O Cebreiro it turned again and it was freezing again. That night in Hospital was the coldest night I ever experienced. I write all this by way of saying there is no way anyone can answer your question. I would suggest, but not a definitive answer, that you bring a liner. If its cold you can pick up a bag in St Jean, Pamplona or Logrono. GThat I am afraid is the best I can offer. At the end of the day, who knows with the weather. My daughter is on a cruise just now and with all the resources the Line has, it could not predict that they would be unable to get back to England and would have to extend the trip by three days. Weather is just one of those things that trips up the most intrepid of travellors
Thank you for the nice response. I am really impressed with all of the responses from all of the Pilgrims. Now I just need to make a decision.

Thanks for your help.
You never know what the weather conditions will be outside, the temperature will be inside, nor how they will interact. I always walked the Camino during April and May and use a light sleeping bag. I have used a liner but was always cold.

Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-
If you want to walk with only the liner, you may want to avoid staying at municipal albergues, as they are moving towards not having blankets available.
Yep, my experience is staying in the munnicipal at O'Cebreiro one Spring evening, with only a sleeping sheet and no available blankets. The combination of those factors and the altitude made for a chilly, broken sleep.

A silk liner weighs next to nothing...take one.
A good, lightweight sleeping bag (search this forum for the best ideas) isn't a whole lot of weight either...take one.
There are so many really good choices for light weight sleepers, you should be able to find both that will work.
The worst thing is to not get a good night's sleep. The snoring will be enough! Stay warm and bring earplugs.
You'll never regret it.
Oh, and you can always ship the bag to Ivan if you have to.
Correro (Spanish Post Office) rates are fairly cheap and very reliable.

Thanks for your help.
I used a liner and took along a down throw that I had laying around. Started walking September 20. Both of these rolled up together nicely, weighed very little, and I put both, plus my sleep shirt, in a waterproof stuff sack which I hung from the bottom of my pack. The throw was smaller than a blanket but I'm short so it worked well. Someone taller should consider a larger blanket. The 2 items gave me options. Sometimes on the liner with the throw, sometimes in the liner, etc. While you can expect some cold nights (Pyrennes or Galacia), you can also expect some hot nights. Even if the temperature outside is fine, it you put 16 bodies in a room it's going to warm up quick. Even at the warmest, there always seemed to be someone who would close the window. I like to have something covering me, so the 2 options were perfect. FYI: there were often blankets available but I am personally a a little yucked by using blankets that may have covered dozens of bodies between washings. The sheets provided, however, always seemed clean.

New Original Camino Gear Designed Especially with The Modern Peregrino In Mind!
Here is 50 degree down bag that opens up and can be used as a blanket. Weight is a shade over a pound. So, versatile, light weight. Add a silk liner for chillier nights. Carrying a few extra ounces to ensure a solid night sleep or save a few ounces and be restless and chilly all night. Doesn't seem much of a choice to me.
Or for a few bucks more and +about 3 ounces, here is a 40 degree bag, right at a resonable pound and half.
There are plenty of other manufacturers but these should give you an idea of style, weight, price. Look around.
And stay warm and comfortable.

Thanks for your help.

I use a 350 grams / 12.3459 ounce synthetic sleepingbag rated for 10 degrees celcius / 50 degrees fahrenheit ...and it is good all year.

Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-
I'm using a Nordisk Oscar +10 ...you might be able to find other brands with similar features ...that's why I didn't write the brand name.

I'm using a Nordisk Oscar +10 ...you might be able to find other brands with similar features ...that's why I didn't write the brand name.
Thanks for supplying the brand name. It can be useful for someone looking for a lightweight bag, as it can be difficult to sort through all the different sleeping bags.

C
Cumulus,,,Magic Zip is another similar,,, but Down and slightly lighter,,,, I'm in mine right now in an Albergue on the Camino Norte,,

€60,-
NOTE: This option has been tested down to 14C, but with clothes on, not naked.

Snugpak makes the, "Jungle Blanket," about the size of a double bed or an unzipped sleeping bag, or liner. The Jungle Blanket is like a, "lined," liner, which I have found to be perfect for Summers on the Camino Frances. It is small and incredibly light yet gives you enough to keep the cool evening temps off and promote relentless slumber. And it comes with its own compression bag.

Using even a light sleeping bag on this trip can find you perspiring in the middle of the night, creating discomfort and waking you asking yourself, "Why am I drowning???" The Jungle Blanket breathes and as it does not overdo its insulating feature, I rarely found myself overheated.

My blanket is about 2 years old now and it gets a lot of use. Fortunately, the material is antibacterial so it takes a lot for it to start to smell. This is great for Peregrinos as we usually have to pack up and get out. Airing it out with laundry works just fine.

Now, I just looked up costing on these and got a surprise. I got mine on sale for about C$25.00 but now Amazon Canada is looking for over C$80.00 for them. Do your research. Find a deal and leave the sleeping bag at home.

For the first two weeks of June I would suggest a very light down sleeping bag, about 450g. A liner may not keep you warm enough in Galicia during that time. Otherwise a silk liner and a long-sleeved T-shirt and leggings. Happy planning! Buen camino!

Both, the liner is great as a shield against the inevitable bed bugs and eventually you will want a sleeping bag when it gets cold and you find yourself in an alburgue with no blankets.

The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.
Hi Scubageek,

i walked Sept-Oct 2018. I brought a silk liner and light 1.5 lb down sleeping bag. I was glad to have both! I always put both down on my bed usually used both thigh couple times just the silk liner. It does get cold with no central heating... All comes down to personal preference. For me I need to be warm to sleep and not get sick...

You are right that bed bugs can crawl in, but so far they haven’t bothered with me and only attacked everything sticking out. Why am I so tasty 😋

€60,-
My pack was 7.5 kg, and I brought only a polyester fleece sleep sack, and a pillowcase to encase my very light down jacket to use as a pillow. I used an albergue blanket every night, and at the Samos Monastery on April 30, 2015, I needed and borrowed a second one off of an unoccupied bed. I’m guessing that they wash the blankets each winter so they are fairly clean for those using them in spring. Some mornings I draped my poly-fleece sweater over my chest for more warmth. I encountered one public albergue that did not have blankets, so I just went on to a private one. I agree with the previous recommendation to take a light sleeping bag.

Most read last week in this forum

When I hiked the Frances Route this happened. I was hiking in the afternoon just east of Arzua. I was reserved a bed at an albergue in Arzua, so I had already hiked all the way from San Xulien...
I am finalizing my packing list for Frances, and do not want to over pack. (I am 71) I will be starting at SJPdP on April 25th to Roncesvalles and forward. I was hoping on some advise as to...
First marker starting from Albergue Monasterio de la Magdalena in Sarria (113.460 km) Start: 2023.9.29 07:22 Arrival: 2023.9.30 13:18 walking time : 26 hours 47 minutes rest time : 3 hours 8...
A local Navarra website has posted a set of photos showing today's snowfall in the area around Roncesvalles. About 15cm of snow fell this morning surprising pilgrims on the way...
Hi! I’m a first time pilgrim. Is it possible to take a taxi from Astorga to Foncebadon? Thanks, Felicia
HI all, I will be starting my walk on March 31, taking the Valcarlos Route, and am having trouble getting in touch with the albergue in Valcarlos (tried email and what's app - no luck!). Does...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back