• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

LinerSocks

CWBuff

Veteran Member
Time of past OR future Camino
Frances & Finisterre 05-07/22 Fran 26? d Nort 27?
While looking up something that caught my eye on one of different threads I came across this:
Liner socks
thoughts anyone?
thanks in advance

A selection of Camino Jewellery
The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
While looking up something that caught my eye on one of different threads I came across this:
Liner socks
thoughts anyone?
thanks in advance

I know people who use them, love them, and say they will never wear anything else on their feet again. I've never tried them personally.

Buen (comfy-toe) Camino

I starting wearing "Wright Socks' which have an integral inner built into them. They are available in different weights to suit any season. Since I started wearing them my previous issues with blisters virtually disappeared.
All I wear now on my Camino's....as far as socks goes! Just picked up a couple of new pairs for my next Camino which starts March 29th.

The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.
I starting wearing "Wright Socks' which have an integral inner built into them. They are available in different weights to suit any season. Since I started wearing them my previous issues with blisters virtually disappeared.
All I wear now on my Camino's....as far as socks goes! Just picked up a couple of new pairs for my next Camino which starts March 29th.

When I was a runner, I swore by Wright Socks and still wear them hiking, when I'm not hiking in sandals. I brought some Injinji socks on my last Camino and wore them occasionally. They were great for avoiding blisters where the toes rub together. My only problem with them when they are worn with sandals is that they are a fashion no-no, like convertible pants and Macabi skirts (in my opinion :D )

I like the Injinji liners because of the individual toe thing,, helped me stop getting blisters on my smaller toes,,,,,, and have noticed many use them!!
The only blister I got last year was caused by Injinji socks! I got a blister at the base of my big and second toes. I assume that the the seam of the sock rubbed me there. Fortunately, it didn't hurt and there was no pressure on it, so I just left it alone, and reverted to my practice of putting tape on my toes that rub.

The only blister I got last year was caused by Injinji socks! I got a blister at the base of my big and second toes. I assume that the the seam of the sock rubbed me there. Fortunately, it didn't hurt and there was no pressure on it, so I just left it alone, and reverted to my practice of putting tape on my toes that rub.
Haaa,,,, yes we know that what works for some, sorry not for you,, but fantastic for me

The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
When I was a runner, I swore by Wright Socks and still wear them hiking, when I'm not hiking in sandals. I brought some Injinji socks on my last Camino and wore them occasionally. They were great for avoiding blisters where the toes rub together. My only problem with them when they are worn with sandals is that they are a fashion no-no, like convertible pants and Macabi skirts (in my opinion :D )
Hey I'm with you on convertible pants,,, and I use my outer sox with sandals ( only on Camino),,, no comment on the skirt!!!

Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-
My only problem with them when they are worn with sandals is that they are a fashion no-no, like convertible pants and Macabi skirts (in my opinion :D )
One of my fave 'buck the system' things to do - I wear socks with sandals quite often (partly just to annoy those who tells me that "I should not" :p)

One of my fave 'buck the system' things to do - I wear socks with sandals quite often (partly just to annoy those who tells me that "I should not" :p)
When it’s cold or when I don’t want feet sweating I. Sandals I always use socks. And since they are Japanese and MEANT for use with sandals that shuts-up all the haters! 🤣

Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-
Liner socks
thoughts anyone?
thanks in advance
I'm not sure if you're looking for comments on the style of sock or the use of liners. I used conventional poly liners along with a very light film of Vaseline and poly or Darn Tough outer socks and had no blisters the entire CF.

I’ve used Injinji socks for a few years and love them. I now have a variety in different weights and in both merino and coolmax.

My brother-in-law is an ultra runner and suffered toe blisters & hotspots, I suggested Injinji’s and they worked a treat for him.

€46,-
Me too, found they are the best. Less to carry and I prefer the ones that just come to my ankle, but still cover the skin just under the top of the boot. No more dreaded vasculitus (I think that it is what it is called when it is very hot and you have woolen socks high up on the ankle and a rash appears)

Liner socks
thoughts anyone?
thanks in advance
It's like boots/shoes a very personal. It's what your feet are happy with not what anyone else thinks they should be happy in. Mine, just a pair of

@Pam Scott
Thanks Pam
Yes I definitely understand that it is a personal thing. Within reasons I wanted to know if there were any folks who happen to come into the contact with and perhaps used\using the product.
which seems - there are
It does look appealing to me so chances are I will give it a try

Liner socks
thoughts anyone?
thanks in advance

Hi
Used to suffer re blisters
Started with lyer socks
There are the the biz
No probs after , u can wear on there own as I have ,, Irish prices were 17€ a pair ,,

€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.
Liner socks
thoughts anyone?
thanks in advance
I have worn silk sock liners under my regular hiking socks as did the lady that walked my last camino with me. Neither of us had any blisters. I highly recommend them.

@davebugg
I am thinking more blister prevention then warm feet. May-June walks? Not sure my feet will get too cold (if anything too much talk about swelling feet esp. on the Meseta…)

After struggling with blisters for years, here’s my regime. First tip came from a podiatrist who treats endurance runners.

1. Duct tape on all known blister-prone spots (including toes) and any new hot spots. Yes, duct tape.

2. Big toe box. I gave up my beloved Merrills and switched to Keens.

3. Vaseline plus double-sock system. In order: duct tape; coating of vaseline; thin liner sock (I use Injinji toe socks); outer wool sock. The idea is to bind your foot to the liner so any rubbing happens sock-to-sock, not skin-to-sock. And when you get wet feet, the vaseline keeps moisture from penetrating skin while the wool stays warm even when wet.

New Original Camino Gear Designed Especially with The Modern Peregrino In Mind!
My only problem with them when they are worn with sandals is that they are a fashion no-no, like convertible pants and Macabi skirts (in my opinion :D )
That's how ill be recognized then, I'll be the one in the Macabi skirt and toe socks in sandals 🧦

I find that the socks are a little smaller than expected, I wish I had gotten at least one pair one size up, that could just be me though...

I also have injini midweight socks and love them however I think it's a good idea to try with your preferred shoe. I wear them in natural foot shape shoes such as Altra or "vivo barefoot" with lots of room in the toe box.

I use the Injinji cotton/coolmax liner toesocks. lasted about 2000 kms. Well worth the money
I now always walk using these Injinji wool liner Socks,, under Merino Hiking Socks,,, love them ,,

I would like to try those Injinji socks. I checked out two outdoor stores in Victoria and they don't sell them. The only ones I could find on Amazon were in men's sizes. Weilai produces similar socks for "women" but according to the reviews they were more for girls and had little bunnies on them. Now THAT would be a fashion statement! :) ...I finally found some Injinji socks for women and would buy them but the cost is $19.95 plus $63.26 for shipping to Canada. :-( Guess I'll stick with the Wright socks.

Last edited:
Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-
I would like to try those Injinji socks. I checked out two outdoor stores in Victoria and they don't sell them. The only ones I could find on Amazon were in men's sizes. Weilai produces similar socks for "women" but according to the reviews they were more for girls and had little bunnies on them. Now THAT would be a fashion statement! :)
The Injinji socks that I bought were unisex. A size small fits Women's size 6 - 8.5 or EU size 37-40

If it is for blister prevention, they are not needed. If not carefully sized and used, liner socks can actually INCREASE the risks for blisters.
For a reasonable discussion on the use of liner socks, have a read of Rebecca Rushton's advice here. She is a qualified podiatrist, and her article points to both research findings and possible issues with their real world application.

Last edited:
You may disagree with what I wrote, Doug, but a careful reading of the very cite you provided supports exactly what I posted.
My analysis is that you might have some common approaches, but there at least two areas of significant difference:
  1. Rebecca identifies double socks as one of 14 preventative strategies for hikers. You don't recommend double socks and have listed fewer other strategies.
  2. Rebecca's general recommendation is to use a sock that has good wicking properties, made from fabric such as Coolmax. Her advice on merino wool is that it has niche application when insulation is more important than wicking. Your advice is to use merino wool based fabrics.
Clearly the advice you and Rebecca provide is far from being exactly the same. I think members need to know such alternative sources exist and be able to form their own views about the different approaches.

Last edited:
My conclusion to the topic would be (and that is IMHO 'for me')
I can take the liner socks (trying my darn best to make sure that they are indeed properly fitted et al) and start using them. If by any chance the system does not work - go to a single Merino socks
Hopefully most of this will be worked out during my 'training trials period' and present very little in way of issues during the Camino proper...but then even with that no-one can be sure!
Perhaps reciting Jesus' Prayer all the way? 🙄

That said - I do appreciate many responses - each person has his\her preferences and experiences and its good to put together at least some plan instead of 'doing it blindly'

The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
My conclusion to the topic would be (and that is IMHO 'for me')
I can take the liner socks (trying my darn best to make sure that they are indeed properly fitted et al) and start using them. If by any chance the system does not work - go to a single Merino socks
Hopefully most of this will be worked out during my 'training trials period' and present very little in way of issues during the Camino proper...but then even with that no-one can be sure!
Perhaps reciting Jesus' Prayer all the way? 🙄

That said - I do appreciate many responses - each person has his\her preferences and experiences and its good to put together at least some plan instead of 'doing it blindly'

Sounds sensible :)

Just in case you might become interested in ArmaSkin socks as part of a dual sock setup, I'll repost my observations below from when I tested them.

--------------------------------------------
First, let me say that I have no vested interest in Armaskin Socks. I have never been in contact with the company that manufactures the product, nor do I have any wholesale or retail or stock market, etc. connections which will earn me cash if someone purchases this product. Buy them or don’t buy them, curse them or praise them, I Don’t Care.

Conclusion and Bottom Line: When used properly, Armaskin Anti-blister Socks can be effective at preventing blisters.

The Specifics

Background

A lot of forum members know that I am hired by various backpacking gear, footwear, and clothing manufacturers to test their products for quality assurance, usability, and the workability of modifications and prototypes. My reports go to the company that has hired me for their internal use; I do not publish reviews, or test stuff to provide public recommendations.

ArmaSkin did not hire me to test their product. Nor did I inform ArmaSkin of my intentions. I purchased the ArmaSkins myself from an online vendor.

I decided to post about Armaskins after recently learning of them. I was curious as to the claims made about them. As a Forum member, I know a lot of others might also be interested in the blister prevention claims, too. There are also some participants who have tried them previously and recommend them.

This post is not a recommendation for or against this product. I am providing the information based on experienced observation, and I make no specific claims that my findings will equally apply to anyone else.

Rationale and Motivation to Test Armaskins
I wanted to know if Armaskin Socks effectively implements the known and effective blister prevention strategies which it appears to incorporate. I also wanted to provide more objective information for those who interested in trying Armaskins but are hesitant to do so because of their price point. It is my hope that having additional information will make the price point less of an issue should one really want to give Armaskins a try but are concerned over cost-benefit.

As a gear tester, I felt I have the skills and objectivity to cut through the hyperbole and marketing claims and look at the individual ‘ingredients’ of these sock’s manufacture for their actual effectiveness toward blister prevention.

Armaskin socks have been around for a while. Until recently, I was not aware of them until a Forum contributor posted a bit of information about them. That post intrigued me, so I did a quick online look about the sock; specifically, what is the makeup of the sock that is special or different which functions to prevent blisters.

After a bit of research, and ignoring the glowing marketing testimonials, I felt like the Armaskins deserved a hands-on look. What got my attention was the fact that, unlike other ‘anti-blister’ socks, this sock incorporated stated and proven techniques to either prevent blisters, or to prolong the time for blister formation to occur. Prolonging the time for blisters to form is also important in preventing blister formation, because it allows more time for a person to recognize the formation of irritations and hotspots on the feet so that they can be effectively dealt with.

What is the big boogeyman of blister formation? Shear force friction. In a nutshell, you want to keep the friction causing heat of the shear force between the sock and the shoe, and away from the sock and the skin. Do this and there will be no blistering in 99.9% of all cases.

How does it appear Armaskins accomplish this goal?
  • A snug fit of the sock.
  • A sock material which reduces the coefficient of friction.
  • Providing a material buffer between the shear friction force and the skin of the foot.
Gear Test
The socks are made of a slick feeling synthetic material, with a defined seamed area at the toes and the heel. More on the seams later. Applied to the interior of the sock is a flexible, durable, and grippy rubbery-type compound. It is a silicone-based menu of stuff, but it is inert and is said to be breathable.

There are four basic sock sizes. One picks the Armaskin sock size based on their sizing chart; the sizing chart utilizes your sock size to determine if you need a Small, Medium, Large, or Extra-Large size. As with some others whose review had stated that the Armaskin Chart guide selections were too small, I had to go with a Large, rather than the Medium that the Chart said I needed. I had purchased two pair, one in the size the Chart indicated was my size, and the other was a size larger. I ended up returning the Medium sized sock.

Each of the socks in the pair have a defined shape to them --- when looking at them, it is easy to see which sock is for the right foot and which for the left. I experimented putting them on in the dark, and it was simple for me to feel the shape of each sock, so the proper match would be made to the foot in question.

My technique for putting the sock on was to scrunch the top of the sock down to the toe. Then, once my toes were successfully ensconced, I would roll-tug them up, over the heel and up to final position. I always made additional adjustments to getting things properly aligned. With my foot size, the required sized sock which fit, had the heel location up above the back of my heel onto the lower part of my Achilles tendon. It couldn’t be helped, it was just the way it was. :)

Important Note: If you are a user of a lubricating medium on your feet to help prevent blisters -- like Body Glide or Vaseline, etc. – you cannot use such things with Armaskin socks; such stuff will make the socks ineffective.

Even with a larger size Armaskin, the fit is very snug. My initial reaction was concern that the amount of compression on my foot would create problems with hours of wear. For me, such turned out not to be the case. I can understand where it would be possible for some folks to find this level of snugness objectionable, and even constricting enough of blood circulation in the foot to cause cramping or other discomforts. In my case, none of those issue appeared.

Once on, the Armaskins do not slip or really move around on the foot. The snugness and the ‘grippy-ness’ keep things in place. This is one of the reasons it is important to have the sock lay smooth on the foot with no lumps or rucks of material; get the sock smooth and it will stay that way.

Here is where the Armaskin Socks are not really a liner sock, or a part of a dual sock system in the traditional sense. With the old-school technique, the traditional use of a thin liner sock is used under a thicker sock as a system to try and prevent blisters. The Armaskin does not need an outer sock to prevent blisters; it only needs the outer sock to protect the Armaskin from premature wear and tear. Thus, it is not a "double-sock liner system".

If one does not care how long their Armaskin Socks will last, you can wear the Armaskin by itself and will still do the job it was designed to do. The Armaskin, by itself, will keep the shear force’s blister-causing friction from the skin on the foot, and keep it between the Armaskin and the shoe where it belongs.

I spent over 160 miles hiking in all sorts of backpacking terrain, under all sorts of backpack weights, using the Armaskin in a variety of shoe and insole combinations, using them with and without an outer sock, and subjected to all kinds of dirt, grit, mud and wet. I never really felt at-risk of getting blisters. One caveat, though, as a full disclosure: It is unusual for me to blister.

That being said, I have gotten blisters before and I do, infrequently, deal with hotspots and recognize the conditions which put me at-risk for developing those hot spots. I took great pains to recreate those kinds of conditions with gusto.

Many users posting reviews have stated that the Armaskins didn’t make their feet warm or hot. All I can say is that my feet did get warmer, sometimes much warmer, than with my usual socks and footwear combination. I typically will wear a single, lightweight and light padded Merino wool sock. Being much warmer wearing a double sock combination with the Armaskin didn’t surprise me, though. I will note that my feet also did become a bit damp from sweat a few times; while the Armaskin may claim to be breathable, that breathability is restricted to the ability of airflow within a shoe. Wearing an outer sock and being in the confines of a shoe means that there must be an overall decrease in the ability of water vapor to escape.

The Armaskins never got ‘funky’ smelling. They washed well; the washing would ‘renew’ the 'grippy-ness’ of the sock's interior coating, probably because washing removes body oils, dirt, skin cells, etc. 🙂 Just be sure to carefully follow the manufacturer’s washing instructions. Because of the Camino application, I washed these Armaskins by hand in cool water, with just barely enough soap to get them clean. The soap I used is what I used on Camino. The socks wring out fairly well and do not take overly long to dry. To help preserve the materials and longevity in the socks, I would not dry them in the harshness of direct sunlight… that much UV radiation will affect the synthetic materials, as will the high heat of direct radiant energy. If using a dryer, I would air dry as a preference; or at most, the lowest heat setting possible.

End of the day comfort? I always enjoyed removing the socks and letting my feet out of the snugness factor of the Armaskins. While they were on, though, I never had my attention focused on my feet and I never felt that my feet were distressed at all. Even my persnickety Left Foot – who hates me with its entire being – kept quite about the socks. :)

Are Armaskin Socks the best method, or the surest method, for blister prevention? In my assessments, no. Armaskins are potentially just one method, among others, which can be effective. As with everything gear related, there can be some downsides, and they are a bit finicky. I don’t think that should keep potential users from trying them out, though.

If someone:
  • Uses the socks as directed,
  • Takes care of them,
  • Does not put absolute trust in them by ignoring the need to stay focused on potential hot-spots and other indications of blistering so they can be dealt with before a blister appears:
then I think that the Armaskins can work well.​

NOTE:
The same principles which Armaskins use to prevent the shear force friction which causes blistering has existed prior to Armaskins. The materials and techniques to achieve this are cheaper to employ, more flexible and adaptable to unique situations by targeting the specific problem areas on the feet, and are easier to obtain if replacement is necessary.

So, for what it’s worth that is my assessment of Armaskins. It is my hope that this informs the group of another tool for potential blister prevention.

For those who have read some of my posts on this thread, I offer apologies. After rethinking things, I have deleted several posts of mine which were more focused on being argumentative rather than trying to be informative. That is not what the Forum is about, either in spirit or in deed. I'm sorry.

Doug, I also offer my sincere apologies to you. I presupposed intentions from your post, and that was wrong. I presumed things which are not presumable. I am sorry for that and for any offense given.

Dave

Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-
I tried liners and merino will socks...got hot spots. So, I stopped, took both off. Then, went to my faithful buddies, Wigwam Ironman Ultrathins. Did the full Camino with nary a problem. These are tight fitting ultra thin socks which I've used for years in marathons and tri's. BUT...I did change my socks every 3 hours and took off my shoes a EVERY stop to air out my feet. Thanks, Davebugg. Those were your suggestions way back in 2017 or was it early 2018? Anyway, thanks!

Strangely, have never concerned myself with socks - 1st Camino mine were the $10 for 5 pairs poly/cotton el cheapo variety from KMart. When the big toenail went through the sock, I swapped feet.
My obsession is SHOES. Perfectly fitting shoes are the most important consideration but only my opinion!!
Having developed a severe plantar fasciitis last year I think my obsession is on the verge of OCD, and my wardrobe has become a shoe shop.
Just hoping I can walk next year😏

St James' Way - Self-guided 4-7 day Walking Packages, Reading to Southampton, 110 kms
After struggling with blisters for years, here’s my regime. First tip came from a podiatrist who treats endurance runners.

1. Duct tape on all known blister-prone spots (including toes) and any new hot spots. Yes, duct tape.

2. Big toe box. I gave up my beloved Merrills and switched to Keens.

3. Vaseline plus double-sock system. In order: duct tape; coating of vaseline; thin liner sock (I use Injinji toe socks); outer wool sock. The idea is to bind your foot to the liner so any rubbing happens sock-to-sock, not skin-to-sock. And when you get wet feet, the vaseline keeps moisture from penetrating skin while the wool stays warm even when wet.
Hi Prentiss
can you please explain the #2 for me? Big Toe BOX?

Hi Prentiss
can you please explain the #2 for me? Big Toe BOX?

It is sort of relative to the width of one's feet. In general terms, it means the the forefoot has sufficient width so as not to be rubbing against the side of the shoe. To help determine this:
  1. When you go to the store, do so toward the end of the day.... you will have been up on your feet, so that will help with getting the correct fit. Additionally, you will need to wear the same backpack with the same gear you will be carrying... you want this additional weight on you as this will put the same downward pressure on the foot that you will be having while on Camino.
  2. Wear the exact same sock(s) you will be wearing while you are walking on the Camino. And if you have a special insole or orthotic, bring it with you.
  3. At the store, the measuring that will be done on your feet is only to get you in the ballpark for the correct shoe size.
  4. Start by standing up; never measure while sitting. You want the full weight of your body, with the pack on, to put the same pressure on your feet to spread them out as will happen while walking. That alone will increase the volume and size of your feet.
  5. Make sure those 'Camino' socks are on your feet; if you wear socks with liners while walking, do the same thing at the store.
  6. While standing, have someone near to you that you can use to steady yourself. With the measuring device on the ground, step onto the instrument and center all of your weight onto the foot being measured. Do the same for the other foot.
  7. Start with that size, but be aware that both the width and the length need to feel like there is adequate room for your feet. Ideally, like Goldilocks, everything will be just right. But, don't count on it. Be picky.
  8. If you have special insoles or orthotics, put them into any shoe you try on as they will take up space inside the shoe.
  9. When you find what you think will fit you well, you will need to see if your toes have enough clearance. Toes should not be able to be forced to the front of the shoe and touch the shoe. Not even a little. If they do, long walking and downhill grades on the trail or path or road will traumatize the bed of the nail, and that is when toenails can blacken and fall off.
  10. With your shoes tied securely, but not too tight, walk around the store with your pack on. Go up stairs and down stairs, scuff the shoes to the floor so that your feet are forced to do any movement they will do and see if your toes so much as butterfly kiss the front of the shoe. Kick the front of the shoe into a post or stair or wall or someone's shin.... does that make any of your toes touch the front of the shoe? That goes for all the little piggies.
  11. Next, pay attention to the width of the shoe. It shouldn't feel snug on the sides and there should be no rubbing or pressure points at all. They will not go away with "break in". They will create soreness, pain, and blistering. Even if it seems to be tolerable, it is like water torture; as your feet are continually exposed to those pressure points your feet will break down against them bit by bit, and bruising, blisters, and soreness will follow.
  12. You may need to go up in size, from 1/2 to a size and a half in length or more and to also go with a wider width in order to avoid those things I mentioned above. The notion that one avoids blisters by wearing snug footwear has been shown to do just the opposite.

Kick the front of the shoe into a post or stair or wall or someone's shin....
Don't think DW will appreciate that!!! ;)

WOW!!!! Oh Gees!!!
Well... (LOL) for the last 2 days I have walked on a relatively flat ground (couple of rises but nothing sufficient to count as an achievement). 4.7 km first day - perhaps 2kg pack weight; 4.6 today with all of 7kg :eek:
My trusted\faithful Everlast boots (size 9 which is my regular size) and Timberlands inners and Ultimates outers
Yeah I think the downhills can be an issue....
So much to consider!
Thanks for the explanation

Don't think DW will appreciate that!!! ;)

WOW!!!! Oh Gees!!!
Well... (LOL) for the last 2 days I have walked on a relatively flat ground (couple of rises but nothing sufficient to count as an achievement). 4.7 km first day - perhaps 2kg pack weight; 4.6 today with all of 7kg:eek:
My trusted\faithful Everlast boots (size 9 which is my regular size) and Timberlands inners and Ultimates outers
Yeah I think the downhills can be an issue....
So much to consider!
Thanks for the explanation

If you think you may have an issue with the footwear's length, you can try using thinner socks to see if that would give you more 'toe room'.

Feet sizes can change as we age; so IF you have had your boots for a while, and they previously fit when you first purchased them, it could be that they your feet have outgrown them.

There are a lot of downhills on Camino, so it could be worthwhile to consider new footwear.

@davebugg
Absolutely everything you say makes perfect sense so (once more ) THANK YOU! 👋

I am still toying with the idea of trying out the Injinji socks. The Armaskins you mentioned are definitely something interesting but the price (OUCH!) and of course they have to 'go on just so' (although that's probably the rule for all the socks). In any case,, there is still some thought into the whole process and simple nylons are still not out of the question if need be.
I DO have my boots 'for a while'. As I have mentioned before - the went to MP with me (or probably the better saying would be that 'they carried me to MP' 😍) in 2011 and I've already had them for a number of years since then. I'd say easily 10 years if not more....
Yeah I am definitely older and there is no doubt that the feet are different (plus unfortunately a good amt of extra lbs that I am still hoping to shed in these 2 years)

€46,-
Liner socks
thoughts anyone?
thanks in advance
In warm weather,I only wear 1 pair of Smartwool liner socks. Walked Sarria to Santiago last September in Merrill Moab’s, unseasonably hot and humid -
No blisters 👍🏻

This is what works for me and I very rarely get a blister. The idea is to prevent friction. My own method is to use a very thin liner sock, now that I've got a bit to spend I use silk ones, before it was a cotton mix. The company I use today is Silkbody from New Zealand. I'm sure there are others about but I found this a long wearing, very thin liner sock. Over the top of those I use Merino Wool socks now, but 30 years ago I use to use seaboot socks. Same result very rarely get a blister. I've heard of people using Vaseline in-between toes etc and even heard of the use of Vicks Vapour Rub! This way they dispense with the use of a liner sock. It's not for me as I've found what suits me best years ago.

We're all different it's just what works for you but try out the various methods to see what suits you best.

Good luck.

€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.
Liner socks
thoughts anyone?
thanks in advance
I wore liner socks for years but switched to compression socks under smart wool. Very pleased with the result

Liner socks
thoughts anyone?
thanks in advance

I always use them for continuous days walking. Used them last year on the Camino, walked over 1200km no blisters.

...problem with them when they are worn with sandals is that they are a fashion no-no, like convertible pants and Macabi skirts (in my opinion :D )
LUV my convertible pants and my Macabi, too! 😁

LUV my convertible pants and my Macabi, too! 😁
I have used wrightsocks without getting blisters. Good socks Currently I wear Injinji liners with merino socks over them. So far so good. I tend to get blisters between my 4th and 5th toes, and the toe socks stop those because the little piggies can’t rub against each other skin to skin. For what it’s worth, when I was a young hiker 50+ years ago, I used my dad’s method to help prevent blisters. That was to wear a thin pair of socks, followed by a layer of foot powder, (talcum or corn starch) rubbed all over that sock especially around the heels and toes and finally a heavier pair of wool socks. The powder seemed to reduce the friction between the two pairs of socks. Anyway it worked pretty well if I remember. My fav method is the toe socks tho.

OK, so.... taking it a notch farther.... those who DO wear liners - as per so many suggestions "take your shoes\boots and socks off EVERY time you stop for rest"
My plan is to walk the "Stonewall Jackson Way" which basically equates to walk 50 min rest 10. SURELY I do not want to start messing around with my whole footwear set-up for the sake of 10 mins (it seems that by the time I would take everything off - it all has to go back on)
So I take it the idea would be to do as suggested during longer rest periods (say 30 mins and up)
And if so do the liners come off as well?

The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
OK, so.... taking it a notch farther.... those who DO wear liners - as per so many suggestions "take your shoes\boots and socks off EVERY time you stop for rest"
My plan is to walk the "Stonewall Jackson Way" which basically equates to walk 50 min rest 10. SURELY I do not want to start messing around with my whole footwear set-up for the sake of 10 mins (it seems that by the time I would take everything off - it all has to go back on)
So I take it the idea would be to do as suggested during longer rest periods (say 30 mins and up)
And if so do the liners come off as well?
No I don't, ,put them on and leave them all day. Works for me.

OK. Liners,( Injinji toe socks,) 0uter merino hiking socks, and shoes stay on all of the walking day. ,that works for me. Did 1500 km Camino last year. And no Blisters. ,,and 6 days into this years Camino and all the same!!!

I brought Wright socks with the built in liners with me, along with a pair of unlined socks. I wound up buying the cheap two-pack of liners from the shop in Pamplona that everyone raves about (can't recall the name). The Wrights worked well for me, but they took a long time to dry. So, I went exclusively with the liner and thin Merino socks I had for the rest of my Camino. I also used Vaseline every morning. No blisters the entire walk! Good luck!

The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.
This thread about liner socks has suggested to me a related issue. I don't wear the same thing(s) on both feet. This is because my two feet are very different, in size, shape and condition. When I am on camino, or in the backcountry anywhere, I wear under or over my feet, inside my boots: 1. prescription orthotics, as the bottom layer, 2. a soft foam insert (eg. Dr Scholls or similar), 3. an inner sock, and 4. a thick outer sock. My right foot is larger than the left and of an odd shape: bunion, hammer toe, etc. I often omit either the soft foam insert or the inner sock, or sometimes both, on the right foot, to allow space for the foot in the boot. This works for me, and I cannot get the right foot comfortably into its boot without some such adjustment. I never get blisters but sometimes tape certain toes if there are signs of rubbing or redness.
I do not know if other experienced walkers also adjust their footcare and footwear to the conditions of their feet, but I suspect that some do. This may be why it is such a big deal to find suitable footwear for the camino if one is not an experienced walker. Seventy years of walking have taught me what works for me and I adjust this to the state of my aging feet.

Who says sock and sandals are a fashion no-no. I live in the Seattle area and wear short pants and hoodies and wear wool socks with my Birks all year long. The exception is when it is snow and ice on the ground, then I wear my hiking boots.;)

Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-
OK so I found 2 "different" injinji socks on Amazon

Injinji Liner Crew NuWool Socks
5% lycra​
Injinji's five-toe patented designed specifically for hikers and runners​
Made with Merino Wool​
Fiber content: 44% NuWool 51% Nylon 5% Lycra​

or
Injinji Liner Crew Toesocks
75 Polyester, 20 Nylon, 5 Lycra​
Anatomical 5 toe design​
Superior fiber construction​
Arch Support​
Mesh Top design for ventilation​

both say "Medium" but I believe that refers to the size not the weight (the latter seems like it could be thinner)
the difference in price is practically negligible so it could go either way
(to be fair - both have negative reviews mainly about getting holes\getting ripped in a relatively short time)

just by looking at the above - what would be 'your' preference?
thanks

When Doug Fitz and Dave Bugg get into a duel, it won't long before t2a adds his two cents.
I walked with silk liners for year and love Darn Tuff merino wool socks. I am an advocate of Vaseline and/or Vicks before I put on my socks. For years I would religiously remove my socks and air my feet after 3 or 4 hours and put on fresh dry socks over Vaseline or Vicks and I would end my Camino pretty much blister free.
But alas, I have developed a very serious problem with neuropathy in my right foot, so I can no longer walk with out compression socks. Three layers, ain't gonna get it folks. I have also learned that the left foot want the same love and support I am giving to the right foot so I can't dress them differently.
The compression socks don't come in too many alternative materials other than polyester and elastic. So I now deal with the odd blister from time to time. I hope someone can chime in with another solution.
Boots, sandals, trail runners, etc...Don't get me started because of the neuropathy I absolutley "require" high ankle support and after many false starts an expert at REI in Denver pointed me towards a very stable high top Salomon boot. I buy a new pair every year even if they aren't worn out. They have the fit and feel of a ski boot which I am sure would be a real turn off for most hikers but I can't walk long distance without them.

When Doug Fitz and Dave Bugg get into a duel, it won't long before t2a adds his two cents.
I walked with silk liners for year and love Darn Tuff merino wool socks. I am an advocate of Vaseline and/or Vicks before I put on my socks. For years I would religiously remove my socks and air my feet after 3 or 4 hours and put on fresh dry socks over Vaseline or Vicks and I would end my Camino pretty much blister free.
But alas, I have developed a very serious problem with neuropathy in my right foot, so I can no longer walk with out compression socks. Three layers, ain't gonna get it folks. I have also learned that the left foot want the same love and support I am giving to the right foot so I can't dress them differently.
The compression socks don't come in too many alternative materials other than polyester and elastic. So I now deal with the odd blister from time to time. I hope someone can chime in with another solution.
Boots, sandals, trail runners, etc...Don't get me started because of the neuropathy I absolutley "require" high ankle support and after many false starts an expert at REI in Denver pointed me towards a very stable high top Salomon boot. I buy a new pair every year even if they aren't worn out. They have the fit and feel of a ski boot which I am sure would be a real turn off for most hikers but I can't walk long distance without them.
@biarritzdon
It seems that you are doing what I mentioned above and adjusting your foot wear and foot care to the state of your aging feet. For me, so long as I can go on walking, this is just a detail. But then, I am fortunate in not having feet that are in pain. May you go on walking and managing your condition. I wish you many more "Buen caminos!"

€46,-
One is a liner sock and one is a heavier sock... depends on the thickness you want and how your boots/shoes fit. My guess is that most people use the thinner liner Injinji socks with a regular outer sock, for two layers. I generally only wear thin socks because otherwise my shoes are too tight. Two layers are best to avoid blisters. Of course you can also tape your feet or use a lubricant (there are others besides vaseline that last longer ) Please don't smell up the albergue with Vicks.

This is my favorite site for blisters and other foot issues, run by an ultra-marathoner (who interviews other ulta runners about what works for them): http://www.fixingyourfeet.com/blister-prevention/

@JillGat
OK so I guess the "NuWool" is probably the outer in which case I will go for the other (I do have couple of pairs of outer socks that I plan to use)
The idea of taping feet still has its merit in my mind but I guess I will have to see how 2 layers will work for me before I decide on anything. (Sometimes I cannot believe that I got lucky wearing 2 layers of regular K-mart socks which are like what - 60% cotton - while on Camino Inca and no blisters!)

I hereby do solemnly swear in front of all the Esteemed Members of this-here Forum (past, present and future) that I SHALL NOT smell up the albergues with Vicks!!!! :cool:
I cannot make the same promise in regards to snoring :oops:
Thanks for the link; definitely will take a look

Who says sock and sandals are a fashion no-no. I live in the Seattle area and wear short pants and hoodies and wear wool socks with my Birks all year long. The exception is when it is snow and ice on the ground, then I wear my hiking boots.;)
Hey I was going to say the same thing about socks with sandals. I used to wear Birkies year round and depending on the tempurature I wore no socks, one pair or 2 pairs of socks. Even in the rain. Down here in Portland OR no one looks twice at someone wearing socks with sandals.

€46,-
Hey - I always wear convertible pants on the Camino. For me, they're a lifesaver!

If i bring a pair of shorts and a lightweight pair of pants, they weigh barely more than a pair of convertible pants. Rarely would I need to change from one to the other, midwalk, but if I do, it's easy and I bet it's just as fast as the zipper/velcro deal on convertible pants. I will stop at least once to change my shoes or socks, adjust other clothing, anyway. AND, while one (shorts or pants) is being washed, I can be wearing the other. This is why I don't understand why convertible pants are a lifesaver. Thank you for listening. Now, back to liner socks!

Last edited:

Socks and sandals are acceptable for hiking. The injinji socks with sandals are iffy, fashion-wise, in my opinion.

OK so I found 2 "different" injinji socks on Amazon

Injinji Liner Crew NuWool Socks
5% lycra​
Injinji's five-toe patented designed specifically for hikers and runners​
Made with Merino Wool​
Fiber content: 44% NuWool 51% Nylon 5% Lycra​

or
Injinji Liner Crew Toesocks
75 Polyester, 20 Nylon, 5 Lycra​
Anatomical 5 toe design​
Superior fiber construction​
Arch Support​
Mesh Top design for ventilation​

both say "Medium" but I believe that refers to the size not the weight (the latter seems like it could be thinner)
the difference in price is practically negligible so it could go either way
(to be fair - both have negative reviews mainly about getting holes\getting ripped in a relatively short time)

just by looking at the above - what would be 'your' preference?
thanks

I wear the thin polyester Injinji liners with a conventional (non-toesock) wool outer sock.

I have a pair of wool Injinjis but I’ve never worn them. They’re sized much like the liners so I don’t think you could wear both.

The liners have worn quite well for me: no holes yet.

I ordered 2 pairs of the Liner Crew Toesocks (75 Polyester, 20 Nylon, 5 Lycra); should be here in 5 days or so
I guess I will see how does the setup works for me

I ordered 2 pairs of the Liner Crew Toesocks (75 Polyester, 20 Nylon, 5 Lycra); should be here in 5 days or so
I guess I will see how does the setup works for me
Sorry to give you something else to think about,,, the other wool liner socks are the same thickness,,, they are liner socks,, and that is what I am using,,, the same ones I first used in Nepal then my 1500 km last Camino and just taken them off on my present Camino,, I can only use a wool blend sock,,

@Martyduc
Well...I guess it's a good time for me to stop thinking :rolleyes:

.... 1500 KM last Camino? What did you do? Flew to Vladivostok and walked from there? :)
(actually... Paris to SdC would be right in the ball park figure)

@Martyduc
Well...I guess it's a good time for me to stop thinking :rolleyes:

.... 1500 KM last Camino? What did you do? Flew to Vladivostok and walked from there? :)
(actually... Paris to SdC would be right in the ball park figure)
Almeria to Finesterre,, Last year, now on the Via Serrana!!!and more!!

I have a liner sock question that someone may have thoughts on in here. My shoes are very comfortable, big toe box and front of the shoe a good distance from my toe. When I wear socks in them -- silk liner and midweight merino sock -- the socks put pressure on my second toe, which is almost as long as my big toe. After a while, it hurts quite a bit, as if my toe were pressing into the shoe itself (it is not). Has anyone experienced this? I don't notice it wearing only one sock.

Almeria to Finesterre,, Last year, now on the Via Serrana!!!and more!!
Yeah.. I took a look at your Camino List and obviously it was starring me in a face. ..
Just for the fun of it... "Camino Vladivostok" would be a whooping 12,900 km but at least for most part pretty flat:

Buen Camino My Friend!!!!

Got my 2 pairs over the weekend. Funny things (cute-looking though)
Takes a bit of an effort to put them on if not familiar - couple of my toes tried very hard to move into the same 'toe-digit' (i'll call it that) of the sock (some of them actually succeeded and I had to make sure each has its own house :))
The fit was nicely snug without any discomfort. Felt somewhat cushiony (can't complaint about that)
A pair of Darn Toughs went over that and off to the gym I went where I nicely pounded on the treadmill for 45 mins
The overall feeling was quite wonderful
Now... I do understand that it is a treadmill and that 45 mins is truly nothing but it was my very first try EVAH(!) with them
So... within probably couple of next weeks I will try to dedicate couple of hours on actual trail walking for further observations (trying both cases with Vaseline and without)
Hopefully I will find my stride

Test # 2
a thin coating of Vaseline on toes and foot balls, Injinjis toe liners, Ultimates merino outers. 5kg pack which includes 2L camel
8.7 KM 2h 5 min total time, 1h 30 min actual walking
Feeling beautiful:)
Terrain profile:

OK not exactly climbing up to Orisson but hey - I think I can crack my 1st Stage!

(slightly different topic but...) I had a timer set that told me to drink water every 5 mins. Every time it did so - I took 2-3 reasonably 'deep' pulls. Came home and discovered that I drank may be 1/2 L tops...

So... on a technicality of the matter - am I 'hydrated'? Granted the temps are balmy 47F (8C) so yeah I am not sweating buckets

Got my 2 pairs over the weekend. Funny things (cute-looking though)
Takes a bit of an effort to put them on if not familiar - couple of my toes tried very hard to move into the same 'toe-digit' (i'll call it that) of the sock (some of them actually succeeded and I had to make sure each has its own house :))
The fit was nicely snug without any discomfort. Felt somewhat cushiony (can't complaint about that)
A pair of Darn Toughs went over that and off to the gym I went where I nicely pounded on the treadmill for 45 mins
The overall feeling was quite wonderful
Now... I do understand that it is a treadmill and that 45 mins is truly nothing but it was my very first try EVAH(!) with them
So... within probably couple of next weeks I will try to dedicate couple of hours on actual trail walking for further observations (trying both cases with Vaseline and without)
Hopefully I will find my stride
Hi CWBuff
I really like wearing the toe socks underneath some well fitting Smart wool or DarnTuff wool socks. Recently I found a combo option from Injinji which included liner toe socks and a pair of lightly cushioned crew non-toe wool socks. So far I am loving them although I am only in the beginning of my training walks of 4-5 miles per day.
Before I even considered walking the Camino I started wearing just the liner toe socks with my gym shoes when I went to the gym. I feel like my balance is better when my toes can spread out more naturally and this makes exercises requiring good balance, such as lunges and dead lifts easier and safer for me.
I do agree that putting toe socks on, especially a new pair, can be challenging. Several times when dressing each toe in turn the little toe was left temporarily naked so to speak because I missed a toe slot somewhere along the way. Still I love em.

Liner socks
thoughts anyone?
thanks in advance
Hi I bought these for 2018 camino frances and wore them every day with the second pair over the top. I found them beneficial. prevented moisture between toes and blisters. some days I would wash them each day other days not but changed them every second day at least. I bought 2 pairs and love them. I also put Vaseline on feet before sock which help the slide and prevent friction. prevention for blisters is about remembering to rest and take your boots off every few hrs and massage feet, refresh, elevate when having a drink etc makes a difference. you can also buy them in spain in the cities

Thanks everyone
Got my 2 pairs and ...so far so good (waiting for a bit of warmer weather to take them on a longer hike...which shall be "test # 3" :))

I walked with a friend who unfortunately, got terrible blisters after we had already walked for 14 days! I had liners which probably saved my feet, she didn't !

Last edited:
I just finished hiking 400+ km from Lucca to Rome. I wore Injinji socks with Teva sandals the full way. My feet were very, very happy and no blisters!

Yup... I still love them
I do have a feeling that by the time I am ready to walk the Camino (still almost 2 full years away) I will need couple pairs more, as I am using them quite heavily on the walks and sometimes in the gym (treadmill or elliptical) and I do believe they are beginning to show the signs of wear

I just finished hiking 400+ km from Lucca to Rome. I wore Injinji socks with Teva sandals the full way. My feet were very, very happy and no blisters!
Wanting to do this next after Camino Frances! Did you walk alone? How was the route marking? Accommodations? Did you arrange lodging up front? Would love to hear about your experience!

Wanting to do this next after Camino Frances! Did you walk alone? How was the route marking? Accommodations? Did you arrange lodging up front? Would love to hear about your experience!
Hi, Ginger - I walked the VF (Lucca to Rome) with my husband, but we did meet several women who were walking alone and were very happy with that. The route markings were excellent. We also downloaded the free, official VF app, which showed us the route offline. We stayed in Pilgrim accommodations most of the time (but not all). I arranged the first three accommodations by email, and the others ones I arranged as I went along, many of the same day of arrival. I wrote a brief summary of our daily experiences on WordPress, and included details of our accommodations for each evening. You can check that out here: www.retirementreflections.com. Please do not hesitate to let me know if you have any other questions. I am very happy to help.

Most read last week in this forum

70+ year old, 5 ft. tall, 110 lb. female hiking the full Northern Route (del Norte). My goal is to carry no more than 12 pounds/5.44 kg. Ideally, I'd like to carry less. I'm planning to use a...
Has anyone tried wearing sun sleeves? Seems they might be good for protection from the sun while also perhaps forgoing the need for a long-sleeve shirt? My concern is whether or not the fit is...
Sorry if this seems trivial, but I leave in 26 days for my first Camino (Frances). I’m finalizing my backpack items figuring what makes the honored Final Cut. Question: I was gonna bring a...
I usually wear Motion Control, but thought I might try something new this year. What are YOUR favorites, and why?
Does anyone have any experience with getting a custom rain cover for an Osprey pack? After 4 different caminos I am now grappling with using my rain suit which I prefer vs a poncho because my...
I walked the Camino Portuguese in September 2023 and loved the experience. I'm looking forward to my next Camino sometime in 2025. Although I didn't need a blanket on the Portuguese, I'm...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back