• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Lisboa vs Porto

BuycoM

I only have enough time to do Lisboa to Porto and continue on next time or starting in Porto. If I decide to do it in one shot beginning in Porto, will I be missing a lot from Lisboa? Is the Camino from Lisboa well marked?

Thanks in advance for the feedback.

Maria

Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-
BuycoM said:
I only have enough time to do Lisboa to Porto and continue on next time or starting in Porto. If I decide to do it in one shot beginning in Porto, will I be missing a lot from Lisboa? Is the Camino from Lisboa well marked?

Thanks in advance for the feedback.

Maria

Yes Maria, absolutely well marked.

Alex Rato was studying all the paths during years, talking with responsibles and old people in little towns, lots of weekends, cups of coffee taken in many little places, and after that and with all his documentation, the Galician Association painted the whole Camino from Lisbon to Porto three years ago.

But, no albergues in this path.

Buen Camino, enjoy it.

Javier Martin
Madrid, Spain.

I don't know if the social aspect/seeing other pilgrims is a factor for you or not. I walked last year, in April, from Porto and met a couple who had walked from Lisbon. THey said that they did not see any other pilgrims until they got to Porto.

The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
Hi, Maria,

If you look at the CSJ website, you'll see links to two short guides to the Camino Portugues, one from Lisbon to Porto, the other from Porto to Santiago. http://www.csj.org.uk/guides-online.htm

I wrote the Lisbon to Porto segment of those online guides, and just as viajero reported, I met no other walkers at all between Lisbon and Porto. Almost all of the route is on pavement, with the exceptions being a few eucalyptus forests and some long segments on earthen farm tracks. But the pavement tends to be sidewalks through towns, and on the side of very lightly traveled roads, and only rarely on the shoulder of a busier highway. As you'll see if you take a look at the guide, the route passes through some very nice places, mainly small towns, and then Coimbra, so all in all I would say it's a very enjoyable stretch. People are incredibly helpful and friendly, though many have never heard about the Camino to Santiago (that changes north of Porto).

I'm sure I've posted this link before, but here are the pictures I took on the trip, it should give you some idea of the kind of walk it would be. http://picasaweb.google.com/laurie.reyn ... Dxipep3Vo#

Laurie

Laurie

Thanks for that, we've been CJS members for several years and have found it's updates very useful on our various walks. Info on this route is pretty light on the ground (and the dog ate the last guide book we ordered before I could read it all), but what I have read suggests that the route is reasonably marked (but mostly pavement) and that their are no refuges between Lisboa and Porto.

John Brierley's 2009 imprint of his guide say's it was due for reprint in 2010 to include the new refuges that were due to be opened as part of the Holy Year prep. Any progress on this (both refuges and updated guide book)?

Also are we mad to contemplate a November trip... normally we go in Northern Autumn but this year can't get away till later. I fully expect it to rain and as experienced trampers in NZ we are used to walking in the rain. But coming from what will be a Southern Summer to the Northern Winter I am not to keen on freezing! Looks like it is mainly costal so expecting it to be wet but not freezing. When we were in Potugal (Oct 08) last the weather was lovely.

Hel

Hi, Hel and Scott,

I think there have been a few new albergues opened north of Porto, but to my knowledge there are neither albergues nor plans for them south of Porto. The Lisbon to Porto segment is very solitary. I have been in contact with a woman who is right now reaching Spain. She began in Lisbon but soon got disheartened by the lack of walkers and lack of information, so she took a bus up to Porto.

When I walked last year, I didn't meet anyone till I got to Porto, and you're right that the route is mostly pavement. But there are a lot of very nice towns along the way and they all have inexpensive pension-type places (I think I've got them all, or most of them, in my online guide).

About the weather -- I have lived in Lisbon for two different years, 2004-05, and 2008-09. One November was dry and sunny (part of a drought), but last November it started to rain around Nov. 15 and didn't stop till March. I've heard from my friends there that this year has been the same. But maybe you'll get lucky.

One last thing -- none of the route I walked was on the coast. I think there is a secondary coastal route, and I have seen some random arrows in different towns along the coast of northern Portugal, but I always asked neighbors or shop people when I saw one and met no one who knew anything about the Camino.

Hope this helps. Laurie

A selection of Camino Jewellery
i walked from Porto to Finisterra in mid November and so enjoyed this camino. i did have a storm or two, but also some really beautiful days. i would say, walk from Porto to Santiago, if you have the time, take the last 3 days to Finisterra. buen camino

I would love to walk from Lisbon sometime...

If anyone is in Lisbon, please take one day to take the train to Sintra. There is a hostel there that is very affordable, and this little town in the rain forest is beautiful with lots to see. Definitely worth a day trip.

Also, things to see in Lisbon that I would not miss:

The Museum of Coaches... you won't believe how spectacular some of these gold-gilded coaches are!

The Military Museum.. old and dusty, but fascinating if you like weaponry and sculpture

The archaeological museum here is very good also.

And be sure to eat bacalau! YUM!

Hello,

Just received from Alex, where to obtain the credencial in Lisbon:

Confraria de Santiago dos Martires.

Cobram 0,50 euros pela mesma.

O endereço é:

Rua Serpa Pinto, 10-D, 1200-445 Lisboa
Telefone: 213 462 465
Fax: 213 259 562

Horário da Basílica:
2ª a 6ª feira, das 9h às 19h
Sábado, das 10h às 20h
Domingo, das 10h às 20h

Buen Camino Portugues,

Javier Martin
Madrid, Spain.

Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-
Many thanks for all the comments, sounds like we better dig out the rain coats and get used to road walking for a change... interestingly we went down to Porto and Lisbon after finishing our last camino in Finisterre. In both cities we ended up tumbling into pensions in the middle of the night only to find trusty yellow arrows outside out doors in the morning... really had to resist the urge to pull on the old boots and start following them again. At least we know the route is well marked!

Attachments

• Porto camino sign.jpg
    Porto camino sign.jpg
    265.6 KB · Views: 1,135

Most read last week in this forum

I would like to walk the river route in Tui next month. I can see on google maps exactly where it starts, but it seems a bit overgrown. Has anybody used this route this year or last year...
Hello, my friend of 50+ years and I are on our first Camino walk. We are looking for: 1) safe, comfortable hostels in Lisbon; 2) stages from Lisbon to Porto (via Tomar) in about 16 days...
Hi I have searched everywhere to see if there is a luggage service from Lisbon to Porto. I know there is from Porto to Santiago, but Lisbon ???. Thanks for any info.

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back