• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Lisbon airport passport delay

m0mkat

Time of past OR future Camino
Camino Frances- July 2022
Further information tothe posts regarding delays at Lisbon Airport for arrivals from non Schengen countries

Alert:  U.S. Embassy (Lisbon, Portugal) (June 13, 2022)

 ​

Event:  Significant Delays at Passport Control for Arriving Passengers

Unscheduled strikes by inspectors from the Portuguese Immigration and Border Service (SEF) at Lisbon’s Humberto Delgado International Airport, and other staffing issues, have caused delays of four hours or more for passengers arriving from outside of the Schengen area (including from the United States) to clear passport control.

Those arriving in Portugal should prepare for long waits. Food or water may not be available in the airport’s non-Schengen arrival hall.

Actions to Take:

• Monitor local media for updates.
  • Be aware of your surroundings.
  • Pack food, water, medication, any items needed for infants and young children, etc.

Assistance:

American Citizens Services, U.S. Embassy, Lisbon, Portugal

Emergency during Business Hours: +351 21-727-3300

Emergency outside of Business Hours: +351 21-727-3300 

Email:  conslisbon@state.gov

The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
Join our full-service guided tour and let us convert you into a Pampered Pilgrim!
I see this was on your US Embassy website. As a Canadian, I will be arriving in AMS first before transferring to a flight to Lisbon. Just curious if there are any other reliable, and up-to-date sites we should be monitoring?

I see this was on your US Embassy website. As a Canadian, I will be arriving in AMS first before transferring to a flight to Lisbon. Just curious if there are any other reliable, and up-to-date sites we should be monitoring?
I follow a Travel Portugal Facebook group, and there have been numerous pictures and posts about huge crowds and multi hour waits to clear immigration when leaving the Lisbon airport for months now.
I guess that I was lucky because I was through in about 15 minutes after my flight that arrived in the afternoon back on May 4th.
I think that there are possibly more flights arriving earlier in the day that make the crowds worse before noon.

New Original Camino Gear Designed Especially with The Modern Peregrino In Mind!
Further information tothe posts regarding delays at Lisbon Airport for arrivals from non Schengen countries

Alert:  U.S. Embassy (Lisbon, Portugal) (June 13, 2022)

 ​

Event:  Significant Delays at Passport Control for Arriving Passengers

Unscheduled strikes by inspectors from the Portuguese Immigration and Border Service (SEF) at Lisbon’s Humberto Delgado International Airport, and other staffing issues, have caused delays of four hours or more for passengers arriving from outside of the Schengen area (including from the United States) to clear passport control.

Those arriving in Portugal should prepare for long waits. Food or water may not be available in the airport’s non-Schengen arrival hall.
I don't know if this helps or not, but the border service has just allowed Canadians and Americans to join the automated gates for passport control at Lisboa Airport...

Bom caminho!

I don't know if this helps or not, but the border service has just allowed Canadians and Americans to join the automated gates for passport control at Lisboa Airport...

Bom caminho!
Interesting. Don’t know if it may become permanent. I Think at LHR, USA, Canadians, Australians, New Zealand and a few more nations can can use egates along with EU folks..

More people need to be warned about Lisbon airport. 5+ hours trapped, like sardines. Never fly into Lisbon again. There were 3X more people administering first aid than 2-3 people checking non-EU/EEC passports, and many times more security and airport staff herding us into the bottle neck. Never again.

Attachments

• IMG_20220331_082733234.jpg
    IMG_20220331_082733234.jpg
    4.1 MB · Views: 16
A guide to speaking Spanish on the Camino - enrich your pilgrim experience.
If you first entered the Schengen area in Amsterdam, then you would be in the Schengen zone… so you won’t need to pass another border/immigration check in Lisbon. You will still have to queue/wait for your luggage if you have any checked luggage, I don’t know what the situation is with luggage handling.

More people need to be warned about Lisbon airport. 5+ hours trapped, like sardines. Never fly into Lisbon again. There were 3X more people administering first aid than 2-3 people checking non-EU/EEC passports, and many times more security and airport staff herding us into the bottle neck. Never again.
I hope this is a bit of a "one-off" bad weekend. Heathrow, in UK, also seems to have had a particularly awful couple of days. It sounds as if many European airports are having problems with shortages of staff right now just as everyone starts travelling for their summer holidays.

Please don't write off Lisbon forever because of this bad experience. They are already trying to rectify it...

This may sound like a daft question but what time of day did you arrive? We are scheduled to arrive there at 19:30 in 6 weeks time. I'm hoping that in the evening there is less traffic through the airport!!

New Original Camino Gear Designed Especially with The Modern Peregrino In Mind!
This may sound like a daft question but what time of day did you arrive? We are scheduled to arrive there at 19:30 in 6 weeks time. I'm hoping that in the evening there is less traffic through the airport!!
19:30 should not be as bad, I don't think. Keep in mind that everyone in Portugal has a usually leisurely lunch between 1300 and 1500 (somewhat of an exaggeration but not much). So arrivals anytime between 12:00 or so (getting you to immigration by about 12:30, by which time they're thinking about lunch) till about 16:00 (clearing the backlog that may have occurred through lunch, during which they are more likely to be short-staffed) will be slower.

We try to fly red-eyes and arrive first thing in the morning from North America. There is rarely much of a queue then. Keep in mind that a lot of continental flights, for business, etc., will be arriving late morning and into early afternoon. Evening calms down, as well.

This might help a bit, just to see when the highest density of non-EU flights are arriving. Keep in mind that this will also include South America (with significant number of flights from Brazil), Africa (with flights from Portuguese-related countries Mozambique, Angola and others), and the rest of the world...also the UK (England, Scotland) since Brexit...

I'm afraid that the problems highlighted in this thread are not just restricted to Lisbon. The problems will exist this year, in some shape or form, due to staffing issues. This is a hangover from the shutdowns over the last few years and the actions taken by both the Airlines and Airports.
What is seen is the very visible side of airport life. Behind the scenes is a multi-faceted operation that makes a flight possible. That shortage of staff is felt by every discipline and company involved.
To turn on the tap for this business when it has been effectively mothballed for two years is almost impossible to do.
There are many reasons behind this staff shortage for which the Airlines/Airporrs do not escape responsibility. Not enough consideration was taken that, whilst in a state of hibernation; there would be a natural reduction of staff through retirement but also all businesses learnt that it was more advantageous to make staff redundant whilst the pandemic was at its height. Many of these staff have found alternative employment or chosen not to return to this sector.
I don't expect Airline travel to resemble normality until next year at the earliest.

A guide to speaking Spanish on the Camino - enrich your pilgrim experience.
We landed and deplaned on time at 11:10 AM, March 31. News coverage and Consulate warnings confirm that herding trapped tourists like sardines is an ongoing problem. Fortunately virtually everyone was wearing their mandated masks properly.

While flight scheduling could reduce the problem, it does not appear to be an infrastructure problem. Staff shortages due to Covid might explain it. However there were lots of first responders (very busy treating people), police, security and airline employees, but only 2-3 agents checking passports while 3-4 others sat idle most of the time at the EU/EEC gates.

It took authorities taking until June 22 to enable non-EU/ECC passengers to use all gates - a common practice at many other EU airports who welcome tourists. Could it be management incompetence?

Tourists have choices - never again.

If you first entered the Schengen area in Amsterdam, then you would be in the Schengen zone… so you won’t need to pass another border/immigration check in Lisbon. You will still have to queue/wait for your luggage if you have any checked luggage, I don’t know what the situation is with luggage handling.
Duh.... Forgot about that. Thank you. It's been soooooooo long......

Looks like JFK on a pre-Covid day. There is not the same issue if you travel either side of the summer period.

Mass tourism is the new hell. The new Istanbul airport is reportedly designed for 200mn/annum.

Once fully completed by 2025, the airport will have six sets of runways (eight in total), 16 taxiways, and a total annual passenger capacity of 150 million passengers. If fully expanded to a capacity of 200 million,

The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.

Most read last week in this forum

I am 82 years old. I have walked all but 250k of the Camino Frances alone, carrying my pack and staying in communal aubergues in 2017 and 18 and loving it! I am now on a mission to walk the final...
Can someone please confirm that if you fly with Ryanair from SDC to Madrid, that you will arrive at the Madrid-Barajas International airport? Such a simple question, yet incredibly frustrating...
Hola, does anyone know if you can pay for a single municipal bus ride within Santiago city limits by tapping one's contactless payment card, similar to a London bus? Or do you have to purchase a...
I have been looking every day for weeks and weeks to purchase tickets from Santiago to Segovia at the end of my Camino on May 13th and was getting concerned as on both the Renfe and Trainline...
Hi, I'm searching for any transportation ways to to get to sjpp from Biarritz. Would anyone let me know how to get to? I would like taking bus or train. Thank you.
Hi, we had booked a camino for last September and had to reschedule for this early June. I previously had booked a train from Santiago to Porto to start travel back for our flight home from...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back