• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Lisbon or Porto

clearskiescamino

Veteran Member
Time of past OR future Camino
Too many to mention...
Quick question
I've walked from A Guarda to Santiago last May but I fancy walking some of the Portuguese in September. I have two weeks so arriving in Santiago is not essential.
Which is a preferable starting point, Porto or Lisbon?
Cheers all
David

New Original Camino Gear Designed Especially with The Modern Peregrino In Mind!
A guide to speaking Spanish on the Camino - enrich your pilgrim experience.
Quick question
I've walked from A Guarda to Santiago last May but I fancy walking some of the Portuguese in September. I have two weeks so arriving in Santiago is not essential.
Cheers all
David
Walk from Porto. It is a nice way.

I started out in Lisbon 2 years ago. It was not nice. This (Lisbon-Porto) is not properly prepared for walkers IMHO. The first days were a lot on highway shoulders, dangerous at times, scarce albergues, and long days. After 4 days I took a train to Porto and walked from there. Much better. Porto-SdC has much better infrastructure for pilgrims and it is an easy walk. Lots of cobblestone walking, though. Make sure you have proper shoes.

With 2 weeks to spare, you can reach SdC.

Buen Camino! (Bom Caminho! in Portuguese)

I'd start in Lisbon. Then, wherever you finish, there will be an long lasting reason to return to Portugal.
To finish the Camino Portuguese!
Regards
Gerard....I'm a Portugeezer.
(You can't be a Portugeezer if you don't start in Lisbon) 😉

The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
I’d vote for Porto unless you have time. While the Lisbon leg is not that scenic, there are some very nice towns along the way (ie Tomar and Coimbra). All the other advice above is pretty much spot on. The Lisbon leg also allows you to justify some additional time in both Lisbon and Porto. Some of the towns just outside Porto are really delightful.

I walked the Lisbon route to Santiago using the coastal option last year. I’d recommend it over the Central route.

Just a comment...I'm planning Lisbon to Santiago in September. I keep reading about the extra "infrastructure " that's laid on after Porto, which really challenges me to start at Lisbon and flex my self reliance, and faith.

In my opinion, the walk from Lisbon is a very different walk from the start in Porto. It all depends on what you want. If you like long, solitary days through farmland, and also some wonderful historic towns like Santarem, Tomar and Coimbra (lovely places for a rest day, especially Tomar and the Knight's Templar Fortress), from Lisbon it is fascinating, for me, at least.

From Porto, there are many, many more pilgrims and you have many choices from there. The central route is full of history and hilly climbs. The Coastal and/or Senda Litoral affords the pilgrimage traveler wonderful walks on the beach and boardwalks.

For my full story of my walks through here see my website and The Many Ways on the Camino Portugues, full of lots of gorgeous photos, to help you decide your own way!.

Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-
With your timescale in mind. My choice would be Porto to Santiago. I have already walked the inland route from Porto to Santiago and loved every step of our Pilgrimage. This year in late April we have decided to walk the Portuguese Coastal Camino from Porto to Santiago. Whatever your choice, Bom Caminho and stay safe.

Quick question
Cheers all
David
With two weeks, I would definitely recommend Porto.

I walked from Santarem, two or three segments north of Lisbon thus avoiding a lot of urban scenery and zig zagging around enormous corn fields (thanks, Google Earth). For all of the difficulties, and they are listed above, the rest of the trip was highly rewarding, including Santarem, Tomar with its Templar Convento de Christo, named by the Telegraph as the leading attraction in Portugal, and the University town of Coimbra with the nearby excavated Roman city Conimbriga. Make sure you have a plan for accommodations, and double check because the geographic names in Portugal are duplicative and confusing. North of Porto there certainly is more infrastructure but at times I felt I was hiking around the suburbs of Pittsburgh.

Ideal pocket guides for during & after your Camino. Each weighs only 1.4 oz (40g)!
Quick question
Cheers all
David
Quick answer: Porto.

Most read last week in this forum

Do I need to bring my own pillow & pillow case for albergues?
My friend is currently on the Camino Portuguese - a route that he has walked before and has now seen a number of markings as below. What does the Red Cross out signify?
Bom dia dear pilgrims, I plan on returning to Portugal this summer, after walking the Salvador + Primitivo. I have a few questions: - What is the easiest way to get from SdC to Coimbra? I assume...
Hi I start to walk the Central on April 24th from Porto and need to send a suitcase to IVAR in Santiago for storage. Has anyone done this and if so did you use DHL or another courier company and...
Arriving in Valença around noon and I need to get to my hostel in Tui. I would like to conserve my energy and time, so can I take a taxi from Valença Bus station to take me to my hostel in Tui...
Hi, Has anyone stayed in Armenteira recently? I’ve contacted Victor the Taxi to try and reserve a bunk at the Slbuergue de peregrinos. He told me to contact “ Albergue de San Ero de Armenteira”...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back