• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Lisbon - Santiago

Joeo

Time of past OR future Camino
I plan to walk the Camino Portugues
Hi,

I intend to do the Camino Portugues route this summer & I just want to check how long does it normally take to go from Lisbon to Santiago. I have four weeks to do it & I want to know if this is enough time. Alternatively how long does it take from Oporto to Santiago.

Advice welcome.

New Original Camino Gear Designed Especially with The Modern Peregrino In Mind!
I have only walked the first part, but may be you will get more answers who tell you obout the last part, so this is my walk: From Lisboa to Rabacal we used 9 or 10 days. Since it was very hot, the distances were not very long. Bjørg

Hi,

I intend to do the Camino Portugues route this summer & I just want to check how long does it normally take to go from Lisbon to Santiago. I have four weeks to do it & I want to know if this is enough time. Alternatively how long does it take from Oporto to Santiago.

Advice welcome.

I shall be setting off from Lisbon on 1 May and blogging enroute. You are welcome to follow my camino by clicking the link below. I am expecting to take 13 or 14 days to reach Porto and another 10 days to Santiago, so you may have time to continue to Finisterre if you wish. Buen camino!

New Original Camino Gear Designed Especially with The Modern Peregrino In Mind!
I have only walked the first part, but may be you will get more answers who tell you obout the last part, so this is my walk: From Lisboa to Rabacal we used 9 or 10 days. Since it was very hot, the distances were not very long. Bjørg

Hi, Bjorts,
Would you mind posting your stages? I´m trying to draft a document as an appendix to the CSJ guide with suggested shorter stages between Lisboa and Porto. The "standard" stages are 7 days from Lisboa to Rabacal, and I´m finding that without using some sort of transport at some point, it´s hard to come up with shorter stages.

Hi,

Advice welcome.

Hi, Joeo,

Have you seen the online CSJ guides? http://www.csj.org.uk/guides-online.htm There's one for Lisboa-Porto and one for Porto-Santiago.

I'm not sure what is a comfortable daily distance for you, but the "standard" or typical stages, I think are Lisboa - Porto 13 days, and Porto-Santiago another 10. http://www.gronze.com/camino-de-santiago/caminos/guia-del-camino-portugues

So four weeks should give you plenty of time. Bom caminho, Laurie

Hi,

Advice welcome.
My wife and I walked Lisbon to Santiago in 34 days last year
We had a day off in Coimbra, a day off in Porto and one in Barcelos

We walked approx. 20 kms a day and skipped the 3rd day between Alverca de Ribatejo and Azambuja because we did not like to walk alongside a busy mainroad for many kms.

Bom caminho

A selection of Camino Jewellery
I shall be setting off from Lisbon on 1 May and blogging enroute. You are welcome to follow my camino by clicking the link below. I am expecting to take 13 or 14 days to reach Porto and another 10 days to Santiago, so you may have time to continue to Finisterre if you wish. Buen camino!

Hi Magwood,
Good to hear that someone else will be starting out from Lisbon in early May. Look forward to maybe seeing you en-route. I only decided to do another Camino last week, bought my flight tickets into Lisbon for 29th April, and so am now busy looking into the details of this walk. Are we able to pick up the passport/credential at the cathedral in Lisbon do you know?

Cheers,
Eli

Hi Magwood,
Good to hear that someone else will be starting out from Lisbon in early May. Look forward to maybe seeing you en-route. I only decided to do another Camino last week, bought my flight tickets into Lisbon for 29th April, and so am now busy looking into the details of this walk. Are we able to pick up the passport/credential at the cathedral in Lisbon do you know?

Cheers,
Eli

No problem with that! Unless, that is, that they are sold out :p

My wife and I walked Lisbon to Santiago in 34 days last year
We had a day off in Coimbra, a day off in Porto and one in Barcelos

We walked approx. 20 kms a day and skipped the 3rd day between Alverca de Ribatejo and Azambuja because we did not like to walk alongside a busy mainroad for many kms.

Bom caminho
I checked my blog and included these days was also the first day we did sightseeing in Lisbon so if your pace will be a little faster than we did and you will walk a little bit more per day it will be easy doing within 4 weeks

Bom caminho

€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.
I surely appreciate hearing from all those who have posted about their experiences from Lisbon to Santiago. At this point, I hope to begin walking from Lisbon on 23 April, arriving in Santiago by the end of May. June. Unlike my first two Caminos, I hope to take a day or two to linger a few places. A little nervous about my complete lack of Portuguese, but I also know that it will work out fine.

Take care all and walk safely,
Bom Caminho.

No problem with that! Unless, that is, that they are sold out :p

surely not!??! Ah well, no sense worrying about it unless it happens.

surely not!??! Ah well, no sense worrying about it unless it happens.
Eli, I have a spare credencial. I organised two because I thought that my daughter might join me at Porto, which she is now unable to do. I arrive in Lisbon on 30 April, so if you have a problem you could contact me. I will pm you my phone number.

Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-
I surely appreciate hearing from all those who have posted about their experiences from Lisbon to Santiago. At this point, I hope to begin walking from Lisbon on 23 April, arriving in Santiago by the end of May. June. Unlike my first two Caminos, I hope to take a day or two to linger a few places. A little nervous about my complete lack of Portuguese, but I also know that it will work out fine.

Take care all and walk safely,
Bom Caminho.

Hi,
I'm also aware of the fact that I know no Portugeuse and am doing a bit of a crash course in the language using a cd I bought. It uses the "ear worm" technique of learning. I think its great and with the repetitive phrases set to up tempo music it also serves to add a bit of a bounce to my walks. Together with my muttered paroting of the portugeuse phrases I'm hearing, I possibly look slightly strange.... o_O Ah well, as long as something useful sticks.

Bom caminho!

Eli, I have a spare credencial. I organised two because I thought that my daughter might join me at Porto, which she is now unable to do. I arrive in Lisbon on 30 April, so if you have a problem you could contact me. I will pm you my phone number.

Thanks Magwood!
I plan to be staying in Lisbon a few days - til 2nd May - to recover from my flight over from Sydney, so that sounds like a good possibility. Only thing is that I'm not planning to travel with any electronic plug-in type gear, including mobile phone. But we can make this work i'm sure. Public phone boxes are still around (I think ).

St James' Way - Self-guided 4-7 day Walking Packages, Reading to Southampton, 110 kms
Again, great info. I'm planning my Camino Portugues for May 2015 or September 2015.
Quick question though: Could someone please direct me to somewhere in this site for info on Lisbon to Porto via the coastal route?
Or, maybe some folks have info on this?
Thank you.

Again, great info. I'm planning my Camino Portugues for May 2015 or September 2015.
Quick question though: Could someone please direct me to somewhere in this site for info on Lisbon to Porto via the coastal route?
Thank you.
There is not much information about coastal from Lisbon to Porto. I think once I read about ot starting in Sintra but more than that I have never seen.
Probably because it is not waymarked.
I have been at the coastside south of Porto around Aveiro but there you need a big detour from the coast to cross a river.

Thank you.
ola' Joe - this is quite a puzzle - not seen much info here on this site, but when i was in Cascais in May this year, I noticed these Arrows, clearly pointing west towards the coast.
either a work of pranksters :) or there is indeed a route along the coast of which little is known here on this site. - have seen those arrows in other places in Cascais (seaside resort near Lisboa) as well.
The ViaLusistania org might be of further help if you get them to respond via email. if not you might call.
Good luck and Bom Caminho.IMG_0332.jpg

A selection of Camino Jewellery
Hi,

Advice welcome.
Hi Joeo,

I walked from Lisbon - Santiago in June/July this year.

I took 14 days from Lisbon - Porto (incl 1 rest day in Tomar) and 9 days from Porto - Santiago, but this was averaging 30km per day. If you have 4 weeks you will have plenty of time and could even continue onto Finisterre & Muxia.

I wrote a daily blog here: followingthearrows.wordpress.com

Buen Camino!
Kat

Hi Joeo,

I walked from Lisbon - Santiago in June/July this year.

I took 14 days from Lisbon - Porto (incl 1 rest day in Tomar) and 9 days from Porto - Santiago, but this was averaging 30km per day. If you have 4 weeks you will have plenty of time and could even continue onto Finisterre & Muxia.

I wrote a daily blog here: followingthearrows.wordpress.com

Buen Camino!
Kat
Were you in a hurry Kat ? We did the whole lot in 32 days but stayed 2 days in Lisbon, 2 days in Coimbra, two days in Barcelos (to visit Braga-a killer ) and two days in Santiago. We fancy 20 kms a day .

Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-
The blue arrows are the directions for Fatima. I went there while walking from Lisbon to SDC. Bit out of the way but well worth it. Please please watch the traffic on the roads. I took buses when it was too dangerous. Book albergues on line before you travel. I paid 9E a night in Lisbon quite near the cathedral 2 years ago. I payed for an extra night and it was 14E on the day. Also when you get off your plane in Lisbon buy a bus/tram ticket for peanuts (3.50E ) which will last 24 hours to travel around Lisbon and see the sights!

image.jpg
The blue arrows are the directions for Fatima. I went there while walking from Lisbon to SDC. Bit out of the way but well worth it. Please please watch the traffic on the roads. I took buses when it was too dangerous. Book albergues on line before you travel. I paid 9E a night in Lisbon quite near the cathedral 2 years ago. I payed for an extra night and it was 14E on the day. Also when you get off your plane in Lisbon buy a bus/tram ticket for peanuts (3.50E ) which will last 24 hours to travel around Lisbon and see the sights!
No need to make reservations on beforehand.
On the Lisbon to Porto leg is always room enough. On the Porto Santiago leg. Look during the hike how many people you see walking. On the day itself you can give a ring forward to a hostal that you are coming. Never seen that the Galician albergues took reservations who comes first has a place.
Picture of central place in Fatima

Last edited:
I was talking about the hostels in Lisbon. So cheap. Hotels are not. On the camino I stayed at fire stations(bomberos) free, albergues and going to Fatima slept on school classroom floors. That was a bit tough.

St James' Way - Self-guided 4-7 day Walking Packages, Reading to Southampton, 110 kms
I was talking about the hostels in Lisbon. So cheap. Hotels are not. On the camino I stayed at fire stations(bomberos) free, albergues and going to Fatima slept on school classroom floors. That was a bit tough.
Okay that is right. In Lisbon is better to make a reservation on beforehand.
I booked via AIRBNB. ,an iphone/ipad app Rented a nice appartment in Alfama just 50 meters from the Sé cathedral . Stayed one time at the Bombeiros Volontarios in Tomar. Not my piece of cake. Filthy, cold water in the showers. Firemen make a lot of noise during the night to stay awake, keeping us -pilgrims-out of our sleep. Nice experience but once and never again.
By the way in Spain the Bomberos do not offer that "service " to pilgrims

Were you in a hurry Kat ? We did the whole lot in 32 days but stayed 2 days in Lisbon, 2 days in Coimbra, two days in Barcelos (to visit Braga-a killer ) and two days in Santiago. We fancy 20 kms a day .

Not in a hurry (I had 2 nights in Tomar), but it was my third time to visit both Lisbon and Porto - stunning cities and I would still go back again but this time I didn't feel the need to sightsee. I could have had 2 nights in Coimbra but I was enjoying walking with the people I met and considering I hadn't met anyone for the first 8 days I was grateful to have met them coming into Coimbra!

I've also realised my comfort zone is walking ~30km per day and this worked out quite well on the Portuguese camino due to the lack of albergues!

To sightsee and walk 20-25km per day I would recommend 30 days.

Buen Camino :)
Kat

Not in a hurry (I had 2 nights in Tomar), but it was my third time to visit both Lisbon and Porto - stunning cities and I would still go back again but this time I didn't feel the need to sightsee. I could have had 2 nights in Coimbra but I was enjoying walking with the people I met and considering I hadn't met anyone for the first 8 days I was grateful to have met them coming into Coimbra!

I've also realised my comfort zone is walking ~30km per day and this worked out quite well on the Portuguese camino due to the lack of albergues!

To sightsee and walk 20-25km per day I would recommend 30 days.

Buen Camino :)
Kat
Exactly. Well done !

€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.
Also when you get off your plane in Lisbon buy a bus/tram ticket for peanuts (3.50E ) which will last 24 hours to travel around Lisbon and see the sights!

The 3,50€ ticket it's only valid for the Aerobus right now. The 24 hour card, that you can buy on the Metro station, it's valid for Bus, Metro and Tram, for really 24 hours (not a day card!)

Most read last week in this forum

I would like to walk the river route in Tui next month. I can see on google maps exactly where it starts, but it seems a bit overgrown. Has anybody used this route this year or last year...
Hello, my friend of 50+ years and I are on our first Camino walk. We are looking for: 1) safe, comfortable hostels in Lisbon; 2) stages from Lisbon to Porto (via Tomar) in about 16 days...
Hi I have searched everywhere to see if there is a luggage service from Lisbon to Porto. I know there is from Porto to Santiago, but Lisbon ???. Thanks for any info.

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back