• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Lisbon: Skipping industrial area option.

Siofa4

Time of past OR future Camino
Hi, we're doing a short section of the Portuguese camino starting in Lisbon in October. Do many people choose to bypass the first 10km or more until hitting the countryside?

The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
the walk from the Lisbon cathedral in the middle of the Alfáma neighbourhood to the Parque the Nações is very nice (about 8 kms )
From there I should suggest to take the train to e.g. Vila Franca de Xira or even to Azambuja because you will walk on the hard shoulder of busy roads all the time
From Azambuja you walk through a remote agricultural area along the Tejo river
The first interesting place on your route will be Santarèm. Stay there at the Santarém Hostal in the towncenter If you can.

Santarém Hostel​

Antunes Junior, R. Eng. Agrónomo António Antunes Júnior 26, 2000-040 Santarém, Portugal•+351 965 832 702. Book in advance because it can be busy. Nice place to stay

we loved the walk from Lisbon to Porto It took us 3 weeks
nice places like Tomar , Coimbra Stay there an extra day if possible for sightseeing

bom caminho

Last edited:
The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.
I agree the first 8km out of Lisbon are interesting enough. But walking solo I found the next section less than great. And if I was walking solo again I would probably then take train from Oriente to Vilafranca de Xira. But this would be more personal safety than anything else. However, there is no necessity to actually start in Lisbon City centre, that is the wonder of pilgrimage you can literally start anywhere! Exiting and entering big cities are rarely great experiences so unless you are really determined for Lisbon to be your start then why not pick somewhere just north of the city

the walk from the Lisbon cathedral in the middle of the Alfáma neighbourhood to the Parque the Nações is very nice (about 8 kms )
From there I should suggest to take the train to e.g. Vila Franca de Xira or even to Azambuja because you will walk on the hard shoulder of busy roads all the time
The first interesting place on your route will be Santarèm. Stay there at the Santarém Hostal in the towncenter If you can.

Santarém Hostel​

Antunes Junior, R. Eng. Agrónomo António Antunes Júnior 26, 2000-040 Santarém, Portugal•+351 965 832 702. Book in advance because it can be busy. Nice place to stay

nice places like Tomar , Coimbra Stay there an extra day if possible for sightseeing

bom caminho

I walked Lisbon to Porto this year. Glad I walked the entire way. The walk out of Lisbon was fine and the walk along the river was great (photo from day 2 leaving Parque das Nacoes) - all part of the rich tapestry of life. But it's really down to you.
20210613_063024.jpg

St James' Way - Self-guided 4-7 day Walking Packages, Reading to Southampton, 110 kms
I think it would be a shame to miss the piece right before Vila Franca de Xira. The local government has been building infrastructure right along the Rio Tejo to make walking more comfortable for residents and pilgrims. The Caminho Pedonal Ribeirinho begins in Alhandra and I think is a really nice portion.
I agree. Between Alhandra and VFX, there is a new pedestrian/bicycle path along the river with quite a few murals (including one of a pilgrim!), and this was a very pleasant stretch to walk on.

Although between the Vasco da Gama bridge and Alhandra the walk is not that interesting and assaults on female pilgrims have taken place on this stretch.

The intention is to walk the entire route; Portugal needs to offer more facilities and easy of walking to Pilgrims ( probably why the CF is pretty well organised ) I am told the Camino Portuguese also has a similar “ chicken story “ as the one on the CF?!

The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.
I wanted to walk the entire way but did not enjoy the industrial portion of the first day's walk.

To avoid this less attractive industrial stretch, might there be an interesting and safe alternative route through the more residential or commercial/shopping type areas of the city?

Is there a pilgrim-tested alternate walking route? Any untested but recommended non-industrial walking routes?

It's all in what you are aiming for, I guess. Every Camino will have "industrial areas" and "boring areas" and otherwise undesirable areas. Do you just skip them all? For me, a pilgrimage is a pilgrimage and you don't insist on one thing or another to make yourself happy. Yes, the countries can make it better, safer and nicer for us, but, we are indeed guests and deserving of nothing.

My advice @Siofa4 is to do it all, take it as it comes and you will be greatly rewarded for your efforts. There is not one step I would miss on any Camino, unless my life were in danger. I have a website, with this day documented, from Lisbon to Alverca do Ribatejo, with lots and lots of photos for you to see, and judge for yourself if you wish to do it or not.

And, in case you didn't know, the official start of the Portugues Way is not the cathedral of Lisbon. Like I said, I always want to do every step of the way.

Let us know how you do, and Buen Camio!

I am told the Camino Portuguese also has a similar “ chicken story “ as the one on the CF?!
I'm not familiar with the chicken story on the Francés, but the story of the Barcelos Rooster is pretty well known - in fact the rooster is a symbol of Portugal that you will see in many souvenir shops.

The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
I'm not familiar with the chicken story on the Francés, but the story of the Barcelos Rooster is pretty well known - in fact the rooster is a symbol of Portugal that you will see in many souvenir shops.

I visited the Church Santo Domingo de la Calzada on my CF and the chickens were inside the church! Not sure who copied who etc or that’s what happened on both routes...check this out:

And this is the somewhat familiar one from Camino Portuguese

The intention is to walk the entire route; Portugal needs to offer more facilities and easy of walking to Pilgrims ( probably why the CF is pretty well organised ) I am told the Camino Portuguese also has a similar “ chicken story “ as the one on the CF?!

Yes, the national symbol for Portugal is the rooster... and the town of Barcelos is the location of their miraculous rooster story... and the location of the birthplace of the traditional roasted gallitos (that is so delicious it boggles the mind). Try the roasted half chicken at Galliano restaurant in Barcelos... wonderful.

The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.

Santarém Hostel​

bom caminho
I decided to take the train at Sacevam
To Ahandra and walk the last 5 km to VF Xira and booked at AP Suites VF Xira. No lace to stay within reasonable distance of Alpriate so a good compromise for accommodation and avoiding roads.

My advice @Siofa4 is to do it all, take it as it comes and you will be greatly rewarded for your efforts. There is not one step I would miss on any Camino, unless my life were in danger.
I agree. And I have had some of my most memorable conversations with other pilgrims on the less than beautiful parts of the Camino.

Two things I have noticed while walking in both Spain and Portugal.

1. You will often hear a rooster crowing as you Camino along the way. I love hearing them.

Here in locked down Australia, roosters are generally banned from town and suburban areas.

2. Walking along the Rio Tejo out of Lisbon, I was concerned by the number of dead fish floating by, kilometre after kilometre. I asked a Portugeuse man walking his dog about it and he said it was pollution and that the activists were onto it. I hope they were successful. If things like this are not noticed then those that do it, get away with it.

If you don't walk the entire way, you will miss something, and we prefer to walk the entire way from woe to go as they say. You se the good and the bad.

But it is your Camino - So do whatever you feel best for yourself.

The good thing is that for the first few days out of Lisbon, you do follow a railway line with frequent trains so you could potentially skip ahead a day or two quite easily.

Buen Camino

If you don't walk the entire way, you will miss something, and we prefer to walk the entire way from woe to go as they say.
@Walton Never heard this line before! It's a good one that I'll have to keep in my memory bank!
I say it the other way around - go to woe. A quick internet search seems to reveal that people look up which of the two is correct, and that the original expression was ‘go to whoa’ with the whoa being a command to get a horse to stop to indicate the end.

Santarém Hostel​

bom caminho
Thanks for your helpful reply.

Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-
It's all in what you are aiming for, I guess. Every Camino will have "industrial areas" and "boring areas" and otherwise undesirable areas. Do you just skip them all? For me, a pilgrimage is a pilgrimage and you don't insist on one thing or another to make yourself happy. Yes, the countries can make it better, safer and nicer for us, but, we are indeed guests and deserving of nothing.

My advice @Siofa4 is to do it all, take it as it comes and you will be greatly rewarded for your efforts. There is not one step I would miss on any Camino, unless my life were in danger. I have a website, with this day documented, from Lisbon to Alverca do Ribatejo, with lots and lots of photos for you to see, and judge for yourself if you wish to do it or not.

And, in case you didn't know, the official start of the Portugues Way is not the cathedral of Lisbon. Like I said, I always want to do every step of the way.

Let us know how you do, and Buen Camio!

Than
I agree the first 8km out of Lisbon are interesting enough. But walking solo I found the next section less than great. And if I was walking solo again I would probably then take train from Oriente to Vilafranca de Xira. But this would be more personal safety than anything else. However, there is no necessity to actually start in Lisbon City centre, that is the wonder of pilgrimage you can literally start anywhere! Exiting and entering big cities are rarely great experiences so unless you are really determined for Lisbon to be your start then why not pick somewhere just north of the city

Thanky ou roving_rufus

Thank you Elle Bieling

I walked Lisbon to Porto this year. Glad I walked the entire way. The walk out of Lisbon was fine and the walk along the river was great (photo from day 2 leaving Parque das Nacoes) - all part of the rich tapestry of life. But it's really down to you.
View attachment 109107
Beautiful picture and thanks for the advice. We are doing it 'warts and all'!

€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.
Well whoever I get the green signal as PORTUGAL is still not accepting my COVISHIELD Travel Pass ( also Norway and Italy are not) whereas Spain Germany France and another 15 countries are “ YES”.. ) I intend to walk the CP in its entirety .. even CF had some rust and oxide and asphalt.. but I hit the deck !
Warmest Camino saludos
Capt Bonnie

Well whoever I get the green signal as PORTUGAL is still not accepting my COVISHIELD Travel Pass ( also Norway and Italy are not) whereas Spain Germany France and another 15 countries are “ YES”.. ) I intend to walk the CP in its entirety .. even CF had some rust and oxide and asphalt.. but I hit the deck !
Warmest Camino saludos
Capt Bonnie
CaptainBonnie Thanks for the well wishes. I have walked all of CF (no skipping any parts) and was supposed to do final 100km (plus a few) last year but Covid happened. Walked 100km+ each year since 2016. Plan to finish in Spring 2022 fingers crossed. Life is what happens in between the plans! May the road rise to meet you when you start the Way. ⭐

I would agree on the safety factor (rather remote) of this stretch, and by-pass directly to Vilafranca de Xira. Once past the Parque Nachos the narrow dirt path wound it’s way through long grass with very few people around. It was the area where I felt the most anxious and vulnerable. I would not repeat that area again. I was walking solo.

Join our full-service guided tour and let us convert you into a Pampered Pilgrim!

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back