• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Lisbon to Fatima-and beyond

susilyn

First Camino Ever! its a bit daunting
Time of past OR future Camino
Camino Portugues July 2017
If anyone has any detailed information/maps from Lisbon/Santarem to Fatima and then to Coimbra
please post-I am leaving for Fatima next week and have very little info other than town stops. I am leaving Fatima and traveling north towards Coimbra /Porto and taking the Coastal route.
Much appreciated!

The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.
Dear JLuis,
Thank you for your reply!
I have both the Brierley and Reynolds Guide books, and there are no guided maps to Fatima or info other than following the way markers. Is there another guidebook which does?

The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
If anyone has any detailed information/maps from Lisbon/Santarem to Fatima and then to Coimbra
please post-I am leaving for Fatima next week and have very little info other than town stops. I am leaving Fatima and traveling north towards Coimbra /Porto and taking the Coastal route.
Much appreciated!
We passed a few pilgrims who were walking south to Fatima as we walked north from Porto. The two Caminos share the same path for most of the way we walked, and the blue arrows pointing the way to Fatima were evident, although not as numerous as yellow arrows pointing the way to Santiago. Someone posted this link http://www.caminho.com.pt/mapas.html on this forum a while back. There is a button at the top of that page for English. I hope this helps.
Bom Caminho!

A selection of Camino Jewellery
Much appreciated!

Hi, take a look at this thread:

https://www.caminodesantiago.me/community/threads/exits-from-fatima-to-santiago.34370/

Fatima to Caxarias is well-marked, about 21 kms. I walked it last year. I stayed at Residencial Manalvo (no need to book). The next day to Ansiao is a bit longer, but quite doable.
Jill

New Original Camino Gear Designed Especially with The Modern Peregrino In Mind!
Every guidebook of the Caminho Português has all the info Lisboa-Santarém.
Santarém - Fátima - Back to Caminho is well signed with blue arrows.
I would advise you to join Tomar from Fatima. Tomar is a world heritage Unesco place, a city with a fantastic Templar Castle and Monastery.

Ummm... my Camino Portuguese guidebook begins in Porto

Hi Susilyn
You can find all the information you need in:
http://www.caminho.com.pt/mapas_e.html
Bom caminho.
Rodrigo Cerqueira
Hi Rodrigo, I thought you had changed that map. For the Santiago pilgrim, that map is not right because it makes it look like the caminho to Santiago goes through Fatima. Fatima is a detour, and I think most recommend that it be made from Tomar not Santarem. And the camino is to the east of the line you draw north of Fatima. I know it's confusing and that your focus is on Fatima and not Santiago but the map says it shows the caminho to Santiago and it doesn't. Thanks and bom camino.

3rd Edition. More content, training & pack guides avoid common mistakes, bed bugs etc
Ummm... my Camino Portuguese guidebook begins in Porto
:)
I was thinking J Brierley, Pombo (in Spanish) and CSJ - Laurie Reynolds.
2 French guides, both leaving the Caminho de Santiago in Santarém to make the detour through Fátima, rejoining the Caminho in Ansião.
Also an Italian and a Swiss/German guides start in Lisboa, but I don't know what option (Tomar or Fatima or both) they show.
But of course there are more, starting in Porto, I'm sorry.

Hi Rodrigo, I thought you had changed that map. For the Santiago pilgrim, that map is not right because it makes it look like the caminho to Santiago goes through Fatima. Fatima is a detour, and I think most recommend that it be made from Tomar not Santarem. And the camino is to the east of the line you draw north of Fatima. I know it's confusing and that your focus is on Fatima and not Santiago but the map says it shows the caminho to Santiago and it doesn't. Thanks and bom camino.
Hi
Hi, nothing changed on the website. The map with the two ways it's available on a PDF version. Please check all the page. The Google maps version only have the Caminhos of Fátima and the parts that are common with the Caminho de Santiago. When the problems with the arrows from Santarem to Golgã and Tomar are fixed we will add on our google maps this part of the Caminho de Santiago. Regulary we get complaints from pilgrims and Albergue owners about this problems with arrows. You have walked this part of the Caminho I guess you know what I'm talking about.
Maybe you can help to fix this problems on the way.

Last edited:

Most read last week in this forum

A local (central Portuguese) news source reported recently on the newly marked routes to Fatima from 1/ Serta 2/Tomar and 3/ Abrantes (east of Vila Nova da Barquinha on the Tejo/Tagus). Here's a...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.