• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Lisbon to Fatima in 7 Days / Azambuja to Fatima in 4 days?

Mattias Johansson

Time of past OR future Camino
Planning to do my first walk this year (2017)
Hi,

Looked at different suggestions on how to walk from Lisbon to Fatima. And overall it looks like it could be quite long hikes last days as most suggestions are:

Azambuja – Santarem (32 km)
Santarem - Amiais de Baixo (26 km) or Santarem to Monsato (33 km)
Amiais de Baixo – Fatima (24 km)

Does anyone have any good suggestion on how to hike if we add an extra day. My girlfriends limit is about 25 km a day.

Also looking for overal tips on alberque along the full way.

Appreciate any help

Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-
I think you have the right distances. There isn't much between Azambuja and Santarem. Due to weather I got off the Camino at Porto de Muge and followed the backroads to the railway station at Carataxo. There are frequent trains from there to Santarem station. That would limit the walk to about 25k. Note that the Santarem railway station is on the north end of Santarem so the walk back from there adds a couple of K or more depending on where you stay.

I'll bet that there are places to stay in Cartaxo but I didn't search.

That would make the next two days also at the limit of 25K. You could plan it and if your girlfriend has reached her limit you could always just take the bus from Santarem to Fatima.

I've attached the track (Google Earth KML) file so that you can see how I walked it. Rename the file extension from .txt to .kml before you try and open it.

Also, here is my speeded up video of the days walk:

Buen Camino

Attachments

• Walk-20180827-0738-20105 .txt
    1.3 MB · Views: 19
From Azambuja to Santarem there is a new Albergue "Quinta da Burra" owned by Paula in Porto de Muge.
It is located right on the Caminho, no detours, allowing you to short the 32Km in half but an extra day required.
Bom Caminho

€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.
Hi,

Looked at different suggestions on how to walk from Lisbon to Fatima. And overall it looks like it could be quite long hikes last days as most suggestions are:

Azambuja – Santarem (32 km)
Santarem - Amiais de Baixo (26 km) or Santarem to Monsato (33 km)
Amiais de Baixo – Fatima (24 km)

Does anyone have any good suggestion on how to hike if we add an extra day. My girlfriends limit is about 25 km a day.

Also looking for overal tips on alberque along the full way.

Appreciate any help
Hi Mattias,

when I made the pilgrimage to Fatima, I went like this:

Lisabon – Forte da Casa, 28,9
Forte da Casa – Azambuja, 28,3 km
Azambuja – Santarem, 32,3km
Santarem - Olhos da agua, 29,0 km
Olhos de agua – Fatima, 27,0 km

the Portuguese call this Way the Caminho do Tejo. You have more information here:

Bon caminho :cool:

As long you are walking near the railway you can take advantage of the trains , e. g. stopping in Vila Nova da Raihna and sleeping in either Vilafranca da Xira or Azambuja.

From Azambuja you can still continue along the Train track up to Setil (no arrows but easy to find). I don't know if it is permited to walk through the "santuario" (wetlands / bird retreat) to the next train stop Santana-Cartaxo. You better take the train for this ~5km.
Again you can continue along the railway line to Vale de Santarem. From here you can choose several dirt roads to the official camino (which I did) or try your luck with road Walking along the EN3.
It's a bit shorter than the official camino,

As said you can stay in some places between Azambuja and Santarem. Quinta da Burra on the end of Porto de Muge was still open by end of October and offers a bigger communitarian sleeping room and some smaller ones (double/triple) with ensuite bath.
In Valada there is accomodation. I also saw a bus to Cartaxo.

If you feel the ~30km to Monsanto are to much, skip some way in Santarem with bus or taxi. Interesting Albergue in the basement of a clock Tower. Two bar/Restaurants for dinner and some more bars. For some reason the remaining distance to Fatima felt long enough the next day.
If you don't go to Monsanto directly you have Olhos da Agua somewhere in the forrest. Seems to be a detour of 1 or 2 km.
In Minde (17km to Fatima) you ´can find accomodation and supermarkets.

enjoy

From Azambuja to Santarem there is a new Albergue "Quinta da Burra" owned by Paula in Porto de Muge.
It is located right on the Caminho, no detours, allowing you to short the 32Km in half but an extra day required.
Bom Caminho
Hi Is there a page or other way to book this place, or is it walk in only?

A selection of Camino Jewellery

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back