• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Lisbon to Porto – the good, the bad and the ugly...

Time of past OR future Camino
There's quite a lot of debate as to whether the Lisbon-Porto stretch (specifically the central way, as opposed to the coastal and interior ways) is really worth the candle. I walked this starting mid-October and record my mixed impressions here, leaving it up to the reader to decide whether it's something they'd want to undertake.

The Ugly
1.Some really reckless and inconsiderate driving by the locals which on several occasions either scared and/or upset me a great deal. Actually, although pedestrian fatalities are proportionality higher in Portugal than in the UK and Spain, it's not by a dramatic amount – which surprised me! http://ec.europa.eu/transport/road_safe ... trians.pdf . Particular recklessness on the windy walled roads in and out of Santarem and a narrow fast road after Albergaria.
2.a lot of mean and ugly dogs, looking to scare and intimidate people walking past their properties. I wasn't ever attacked (except by one pathetic pekinese) but one rottweiler in particular (coming out of Albergaria) had me fearing for my life. Through the many inhabited areas that the camino traverses, which are neither towns nor villages, it seems every fifth house has one or more dogs and that these are trained to be really angry with anyone walking by, but especially anyone with a backpack. It's not a relaxing experience. Much worse than Spain.
3.Mosquitoes. I got bitten from head to anke like never before. Possibly to do with being close to the rio Tejo for a few days at the start. Also wearing shorts in the early morning, walking through woods, seemed to be a problem.

The Bad
1.so many roads. Big ones, little ones, fast ones, empty ones, but never the chance on them to really stop being alert and think about the deeper things that I associate with walking on the camino. Some people don't like walking on asphalt, but I find it's fine. It's the uneven, sharp and often slippery portuguese tiles closer to the big towns and cities that are a pain.
2.the lack of albergues. Just one that I'm aware of, brand new in Sernandelo on the exit of Mealhada. But not advertised anywhere along the route as far as I could see. Some of the alternatives were fine, but it makes for a solitary and expensive existence staying in residencias or pensaos most of the time.
3.tacky piped church bells (admittedly not just an issue on Lisbon to Porto!). The church seems to have signed up to piping the same excruciating ditty from bell towers (often every quarter hour) instead of using the bells. Deeply depressing.
4.Waymarking towards the end. Although much of the waymarking from Lisbon is very good, it tapered off in the last few days to Porto becoming pretty much indifferent by the end. However if you've seen nothing for a while, a useful trick is to turn round and spot the blue arrows going the other way to Fatima. If they are present then you know you're still on the right route.

The Good
1.wonderful, open, kind and friendly Portuguese people. Very interested and supportive of anyone walking to Santiago or Fatima. And linked to this....
2.lots of the older generation speaking the same bad schooldays French as me. This would be totally unacceptable to French people but has found its natural home here in Portugal! Younger generation speak great English and unlike in Spain and France, they volunteer it before you've even opened your mouth.
3.quaint old residencias the like of which were all pulled down in England by the 1960s. Bathrooms without ventilation fans, electric sockets and switches made of bakelite (and wiring that probably hasn't been touched for 50+ years). Ornate bedsteads and old style breakfast and sitting rooms. Best example: Pensao Uniao in Tomar.
4.Bombeiros Voluntarios. How amazing to be able to pay €3 and have the freedom to roam around an active firestation as well as get a warm welcome, a hot shower and a floor to sleep on.
5.Moped timewarp. If you were 15, a boy, in the UK in the 1970s you probably dreamed nightly, earnestly of reaching 16 and scorching along at 30mph on a Puch, Gilera, Sachs or Yamaha moped. Some of these are still alive and well and living in Portugal, transporting old men to and from their vegetable patches.
6.Cheese. Wonderful goats cheese or goat/sheep/cows mix varieties (curado?). Stays edible in your pack for days, just hardening a little, with a nutty yet slightly sour flavour that's crying out to be enveloped by a crusty roll of which you can usually purchase two for 25c. Didn't find anything quite as good after Porto.
7.The countryside between Tomar and Coimbra. I've walked 120+ days on the camino. The day/stage from Alvaiazere to Rabacal went straight into my all time top 5. Admittedly I'd been walking for 2 days in gloom and rain beforehand. And the first hour or so is on the road. But from the Alto onwards, it was glorious. Old paths, wonderful woodland, great ancient dry stonewalls (some chunky limestone?), olive groves, vineyards, orchards of walnut trees where goat-herd-esses mind their flocks grazing in the long grass. Paths that wind ingeniously between the settlements making the camino a crafty option rather than as is so often the case a lengthy detour.

Well that's about it. I think you can go prepared to address the ugly aspects to some extent. It's definitely worth incorporating reflective items onto gear and walking sticks and switching to r/h side of road on every blind bend (where traffic allows!). Having a stick to hand can curb the worst behaviour of the dogs and insect repellent liberally applied can reduce the mosquito problem. People thinking of starting from Porto should consider adding the Tomar to Coimbra section. I'd be interested to hear the comments of others who've walked the way.
Cheers, tom

St James' Way - Self-guided 4-7 day Walking Packages, Reading to Southampton, 110 kms
Thank you so much for your words of experience. I am a bit concerned about the road sections along the route. I had been considering walking from Coimbra to Santiago but will go back to Brierley and check out the Tomar to Coimbra section.

This forum has so much information, it is wonderful that people like yourself share your experiences.

Wow peregrino_tom, thanks for the information. I will be landing in Lisbon Next week on November 20, and will begin my walk from there. Thanks for the great review. I am looking forward to my walk to Santiago. Is any body else going to be on the trail November or December?

Rich

A selection of Camino Jewellery
Thanks for this post, Tom. You're absolutely right that there are some bad and ugly parts, and a lot of good ones too. I would just add to the good the sights in Tomar, the opportunity to wander thrugh the ruins at Cardiga, Coimbra, the roman villa in Rabacal, and the Roman ruins in Conimbriga. All well worth a visit.

Actually, there are more albergues than the one you found. A complete listing is here:

http://www.vialusitana.org/caminho-portugues/albergues/ It's in Portuguese but pretty self-explanatory.

For anyone setting out, a copy of the short CSJ guides online (one from Lisbon to Porto and one from Porto to Santiago) might be helpful. If anyone uses them, suggestions, corrections, and criticism are most welcome. http://www.csj.org.uk/guides-online.htm Both have updates from Sept. 2011.

BTW, Tom, did you get lost in any eucalyptus forests? I know the ViaLusitana has undertaken a lot of efforts to improve the signage between Lisbon and Porto, and it's always a challenge to find a way to mark eucalyptus trees!

Bom caminho, Laurie

hi tom walked 1st may this year lisbon to santiago first seven days none stop rain. road walking too tough at times better caminos than lisbon to porto . laurie i got lost in eucalyptus forests the csg or brierley guides no help to me long long day best thing walking was the nice portugues one to miss pensao castela mealheda bugs big time.john.

chefrich – good luck. I met very few people until the last four days. There were four women walking alone who at various points I caught up, walked with and then usually overtook. An Italian couple branched off to Fatima and a French couple mixing bus and walking stages. That was about it!
johns: I had better weather than you, which really helped. Yes it was a very different camino and hard graft, but all-in-all I thought it was well worth it!

Laurie: yep waymarking in the eucalyptus plantations was tricky. I think this is a lot to do with the camino not following old paths with stone sides that could be arrowed (compared say to the paths through Galician woods). Instead just muddy tracks through relatively new plantations. Saw some traces of peeled off yellow painted bark. But there were also a few good small yellow signs that had been tacked up. Sometimes a bit of yellow plastic bag had been knotted to a branch. I took these to be temporary signage – and never went astray as a result of this assumption. But generally the waymarking was ultra economical and I just had to keep the faith that if you don't see a marker you're meant to keep going straight ahead.
My most bizarre incident of eucalyptus waymarking though was just before the ponte romana after Pedacaes. At the main road there was a 'working girl' plying her trade. Just there, the plantation has been completely razed so there are no markers, just empty ground. The working girl, while on her mobile was able to gesticulate to me to explain the right way. Seemed like she was quite used to providing this service to confused pilgrims!
I attach the single sheet of albergues (after Porto) that the tourist offices were handing out in late October. You'll see I've marked 'closed' on two of them. No idea when they're expected to re-open.
With the Tui one closed, I stayed at the private 'Taperia O Albergue' – nice and central too, at the top of Rua Obispo Lago.
You'll see they've left off the temporary albergue at Caldas de Reis. I was curious and found that it is actually open, but people who stayed there told me it really is very temporary (and has been for a while!) and not satisfactory when there's many people staying as it's basically a single room without much separation from the toilets etc. I stayed at the one 5km before at Briallos which was v good. There's a map in the albergue showing how to get to a bar and shop in the nearby village. But too much detail! I plan to send you all my notes in the next couple of weeks, cheers, tom

Attachments

• portugues albergues official sheet 2012.pdf
    130.6 KB · Views: 109
Join our full-service guided tour and let us convert you into a Pampered Pilgrim!
List of Albergues, updated and in english :)
http://www.vialusitana.org/en/albergues_eng/
Please, please, give us feed back about the list and the albergues. Help us help pilgrims.

As per the eucalyptus forests, it's a slow job :(
We are now using the small yellow wooden arrows with "santiago" written. We think that about 1/3 of them have been promoted to souvenirs...

Albergues in Valença and Tui (the Xunta de Galicia one, by the Cathedral) are now open again.

Tom, thanks a lot for all the info!
Laurie, counting on you for an arrows-in-the-forest party someday.

Bom Caminho

José Luis Sanches

José Luis - muito obrigado!
I'm sending my comments on the albergues and the waymarking to Laurie in a few days so I'll send them to you at the same time.
best wishes, tom

Great thread, peregrino_tom, and your post echoed our own experiences when we walked in April / May this year.

Our worst experience of walking on the road was between Porto and Barcelos, where I watched Greg almost get hit by a car overtaking a tractor on a very narrow road with stone walls on either side. Scary stuff.

*waves* to John Smith. We walked with you between Vila Nova Barquina and Tomar, and there's a photo of you here on our blog -
http://www.gregspurgin.com/walking-the- ... -to-tomar/

Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-
Great info, I found the trail today in lisbon and am heading out tomorrow morning.

Judyoz - I think the most dangerous situation on the roads is when you are on the left side with nothing coming towards you, so you relax a little. Up behind you comes a tractor, it's engine so loud that you don't hear anything else. Some impatient car driver decides this is the one chance to get by the tractor - on your side of the road and you don't hear the car at all, so you might be actually be meandering into the road... I'm shaking my head as I write this.

chefrich - It will be a hard way at times but I find myself experiencing a little gentle envy. Please keep us updated when you can so we can be a little bit there too.
PS I lost the yellow arrows about 500 metres after the cathedral, but hey, if you have the Tejo on your right side you're heading to Santiago...bom caminho and enjoy the custard pies! :arrow:

I stayed at the albergue in Caldas de Reis last month and it was what I would expect from any municipal albergue...plain, big room, basic toilets and showers.

Also, in Tui, there is a private albergue at the bottom of the hill from the Cathedral, on the Camino, called San Clemente. It was a lovely place to stay, the hospitalero gave me a ride into town later that night for dinner at his father's bar, which I thought was a nice touch. He even picked me up to take me back! Also, they have private rooms available for a fair price as well.

Join our full-service guided tour and let us convert you into a Pampered Pilgrim!
hi!
i plan to walk the camino portogues this year starting in Lisabon, but when i read about it here it sounds not so nice and maybe it even dangerous for women to walk alone on the roads with a lot of cars.

i van followed me on my last camino, i lost the yellow arrows and had to take the road, scary....

Best part of camino português is after S. Pedro de Rates. Lovely.

aysun said:
hi!
i plan to walk the camino portogues this year starting in Lisabon, but when i read about it here it sounds not so nice and maybe it even dangerous for women to walk alone on the roads with a lot of cars.

i van followed me on my last camino, i lost the yellow arrows and had to take the road, scary....

I would start from Porto...everything I keep hearing about the route from Lisbon is negative. I never had any problems except for one man pleasing himself in public just outside of Matosinhos around the corner from a very famous memorial on the beach. Otherwise, a very good experience.

I walked Porto to SdC in April 2011 and had a wonderful time. I produced many photos and a diary as a Word .doc which you can find on
http://www.calig.co.uk/camino_de_santiago.htm
Last year I had to abort a pilgrimage from Salamanca to SdC due to severe blistering and constant rain, day after day [in May]. I was bitterly disappointed.
This year I plan to walk Lisbon to Porto, in late May [hoping to miss the rainy season]. I'm looking forward to the non-road stretches!
Buen camino!

Stephen.

Stephen Nicholls said:
This year I plan to walk Lisbon to Porto, in late May [hoping to miss the rainy season]. I'm looking forward to the non-road stretches!
Buen camino!

Stephen.

Stephen, my understanding is most of the Lisbon to Porto section is following the road and is quite loud with traffic...the infrastructure is also severely lacking with few albergues, if any, which in my case, would make it completely out of reach financially to attempt. But good on ya for giving it a go! I look forward to your report...also you might want to consider starting a wordpress blog and posting your stuff there, it's much easier than to have people download it as a word file. Wordpress blogs are free and very easy to set up. Takes less than 20 minutes.

OK. This thread has taken a slightly pessimistic turn and as the person who started I feel a bit responsible for it. So just to put a bit of balance back...
yes - Lisbon to Porto is tough and some of the more delightful trimmings of other caminos are in short supply. But there's an awful lot that's good about it too. And some of the stages are the equal of any in the Iberian pensinsula (that I've experienced so far).
You just need to approach it with your eyes wide open, expect a lot of hard work each day and not so much magic (but it will still be there) and have a few strategies up your sleeve if it all starts to get a bit much. These include walking carefully on the roads, having a stick to wave at uppity dogs, finding and using the intermediate accommodation between Brierley stages (listed above on this thread) and maybe even skipping a few roady parts, most notably the last couple of days into Porto. And to aysun I'd say that I don't think that because there are a lot of roads and cars it makes it more dangerous for women. My experience was that the Portuguese people were incredibly kind and between Lisbon and Porto particularly interested in looking after the welfare of any pilgrims that passed their way.
regards, tom

The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.
I've had no problems with the driving. Every single car has stopped at crosswalks. I've found the driving to be excellent. I live in South Korea, where nobody stops at crosswalks and red lights are for lazy people.

I am trying to decide to which Portuguese Camino to walk. The Camino from Porto or the Interior Route from Viseu ?

I would appreciate any advice. I walked the French Camino this past May.

Thank You
Cliff

I completed Lisbon to Porto in May/June and had a wonderful time! The driving was no worse than anywhere else. There were some dogs - quickly deterred by my walking pole. I met some wonderful people - both other peregrinos and locals. An I'm now planning my 4th camino for next May/June!
Full details of the Lisbon to Porto - diary and picture links - are on my web site.
Buen camino!

Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-
Stephen
I like the photos and think your commentary is wonderful. Google+ seems to work pretty well for showing a pic and giving you room for about a 100 words of description, which in your case really brings it all to life. You went a lot more slowly than I, who was running to get the whole camino into my annual holiday. There's all kinds of things here that I completely missed - apart from the bull running which was a different time of year. I knew I was missing out on Tomar because I arrived late in the rain and departed early in it as well, so it's great to see your tour of the castle, and also your trip to Fatima. It looks like you enjoyed the section after Tomar as much as I did - it is indeed a lovely way. Also great to see all your Porto and Lisbon photos which have convinced me I need to go back and be a lot more thorough. I'd always meant to go to Belem for the best custard tarts in the world, but you've shown me there's plenty there besides.
Many thanks, tom
PS I just walked the Ingles from Ferrol. I think you'll enjoy it a lot. There's some intriguing history and tradition there - and I look forward to finding out from you eventually about all the bits I missed!

We are finally north of Porto after starting in Lisbon August 23. We are glad to have that bit behind us. Photos and commentary at www.squamzen.com

Hi, Stephen,
Your pictures are terrific, and I have skimmed some of your journal. Looking forward to going back over it in a more leisurely manner. In keeping with the title of this thread, though there is undoubtedly some "ugly" on this Camino from Lisbon, my overwhelming memory is one of lovely small towns, kind generous people, and pleasant strolls through rural Portugal. Not to mention the historic sites of Tomar, Coimbra, and the Roman ruins in Rabacal and Conimbriga. I am glad to see that the traffic is increasing because it really is an "off the beaten path" part of Portugal. Buen camino, Laurie

Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-
Jim, nice one. I don't know how you survived that heat.
I really liked what you said: "I thought the challenge of this trip would be in relating to other people. I am finding the true challenge is simply accepting what the path presents."
It's a challenge I fail every time!
cheers, tom

Sounds great. I am putting Portuguese routes to my Camino Bucket list.

I completed Lisbon to Porto in May/June and had a wonderful time! The driving was no worse than anywhere else. There were some dogs - quickly deterred by my walking pole. I met some wonderful people - both other peregrinos and locals. An I'm now planning my 4th camino for next May/June!
Full details of the Lisbon to Porto - diary and picture links - are on my web site.
Buen camino!

I walked Porto - SDC.

I agree with all the thoughts expressed here. Driving was fine, the people were nice and helpful and savage dogs responded quickly and well to a big stick.

New Original Camino Gear Designed Especially with The Modern Peregrino In Mind!
I think I must have read this thread before walking my Camino Portuguese in 2014. However with the benefit of hindsight I would thoroughly recommend the route from Lisbon. There is certainly a lot more road walking than on the Camino Frances, but there is also an abundance of beautiful countryside, woodland and riverside walking between Lisbon and Porto. If your schedule allows you can choose to walk the industrial sections over the weekend when there is very little traffic.

I posted to my blog every day from the camino including many photographs of the scenery along the way. I thoroughly enjoyed this camino. The only day I felt really threatened by the traffic was from Porto to Vilarinho and because of this I would recommend taking the coastal route out of Porto.

Please feel free to take a look at my blog to get a realistic view of this route - http://www.magwood.me

I think I must have read this thread before walking my Camino Portuguese in 2014. However with the benefit of hindsight I would thoroughly recommend the route from Lisbon. There is certainly a lot more road walking than on the Camino Frances, but there is also an abundance of beautiful countryside, woodland and riverside walking between Lisbon and Porto. If your schedule allows you can choose to walk the industrial sections over the weekend when there is very little traffic.

I posted to my blog every day from the camino including many photographs of the scenery along the way. I thoroughly enjoyed this camino. The only day I felt really threatened by the traffic was from Porto to Vilarinho and because of this I would recommend taking the coastal route out of Porto.

Please feel free to take a look at my blog to get a realistic view of this route - http://www.magwood.me
Maggie @ peestoleeno asks for a route alongside the coast between Lisbon and Porto.
You and I walked the traditional route ,Lisbon,Santarèm, Tomar, Coimbra and São João da Madeira to Porto.
I only explored a part of the coast between Nazaré and Aveiro by car last year and there I could not discover any activity of pilgrimage .
The coastal as we know starts in Porto and for some among us ends in Vila do Conde, for others in Caminha and others in Vigo.
Laurie had some experiences from Lisbon south westwards to
Cascais and Sintra .
Are you walking again this year ?
Best regards
Albertinho

Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-
Are you walking again this year ?
Best regards
Albertinho

Hey Albertinho, yes I will be walking the Mozárabe from Málaga, although not sure if I will complete it in one go. Will start second week in April. When do you estimate your arrival in Santiago?

Hey Albertinho, yes I will be walking the Mozárabe from Málaga, although not sure if I will complete it in one go. Will start second week in April. When do you estimate your arrival in Santiago?
The plan is to end up in Santiago 3rd week of May Maggie . It will take us about 3 weeks this time..
Wish you buen camino and hope to read your blog again.
Best regards from the Netherlands

Albertinho

There's quite a lot of debate as to whether the Lisbon-Porto stretch (specifically the central way, as opposed to the coastal and interior ways) is really worth the candle. I walked this starting mid-October and record my mixed impressions here, leaving it up to the reader to decide whether it's something they'd want to undertake.

The Ugly
1.Some really reckless and inconsiderate driving by the locals which on several occasions either scared and/or upset me a great deal. Actually, although pedestrian fatalities are proportionality higher in Portugal than in the UK and Spain, it's not by a dramatic amount – which surprised me! http://ec.europa.eu/transport/road_safe ... trians.pdf . Particular recklessness on the windy walled roads in and out of Santarem and a narrow fast road after Albergaria.
2.a lot of mean and ugly dogs, looking to scare and intimidate people walking past their properties. I wasn't ever attacked (except by one pathetic pekinese) but one rottweiler in particular (coming out of Albergaria) had me fearing for my life. Through the many inhabited areas that the camino traverses, which are neither towns nor villages, it seems every fifth house has one or more dogs and that these are trained to be really angry with anyone walking by, but especially anyone with a backpack. It's not a relaxing experience. Much worse than Spain.
3.Mosquitoes. I got bitten from head to anke like never before. Possibly to do with being close to the rio Tejo for a few days at the start. Also wearing shorts in the early morning, walking through woods, seemed to be a problem.

The Bad
1.so many roads. Big ones, little ones, fast ones, empty ones, but never the chance on them to really stop being alert and think about the deeper things that I associate with walking on the camino. Some people don't like walking on asphalt, but I find it's fine. It's the uneven, sharp and often slippery portuguese tiles closer to the big towns and cities that are a pain.
2.the lack of albergues. Just one that I'm aware of, brand new in Sernandelo on the exit of Mealhada. But not advertised anywhere along the route as far as I could see. Some of the alternatives were fine, but it makes for a solitary and expensive existence staying in residencias or pensaos most of the time.
3.tacky piped church bells (admittedly not just an issue on Lisbon to Porto!). The church seems to have signed up to piping the same excruciating ditty from bell towers (often every quarter hour) instead of using the bells. Deeply depressing.
4.Waymarking towards the end. Although much of the waymarking from Lisbon is very good, it tapered off in the last few days to Porto becoming pretty much indifferent by the end. However if you've seen nothing for a while, a useful trick is to turn round and spot the blue arrows going the other way to Fatima. If they are present then you know you're still on the right route.

The Good
1.wonderful, open, kind and friendly Portuguese people. Very interested and supportive of anyone walking to Santiago or Fatima. And linked to this....
2.lots of the older generation speaking the same bad schooldays French as me. This would be totally unacceptable to French people but has found its natural home here in Portugal! Younger generation speak great English and unlike in Spain and France, they volunteer it before you've even opened your mouth.
3.quaint old residencias the like of which were all pulled down in England by the 1960s. Bathrooms without ventilation fans, electric sockets and switches made of bakelite (and wiring that probably hasn't been touched for 50+ years). Ornate bedsteads and old style breakfast and sitting rooms. Best example: Pensao Uniao in Tomar.
4.Bombeiros Voluntarios. How amazing to be able to pay €3 and have the freedom to roam around an active firestation as well as get a warm welcome, a hot shower and a floor to sleep on.
5.Moped timewarp. If you were 15, a boy, in the UK in the 1970s you probably dreamed nightly, earnestly of reaching 16 and scorching along at 30mph on a Puch, Gilera, Sachs or Yamaha moped. Some of these are still alive and well and living in Portugal, transporting old men to and from their vegetable patches.
6.Cheese. Wonderful goats cheese or goat/sheep/cows mix varieties (curado?). Stays edible in your pack for days, just hardening a little, with a nutty yet slightly sour flavour that's crying out to be enveloped by a crusty roll of which you can usually purchase two for 25c. Didn't find anything quite as good after Porto.
7.The countryside between Tomar and Coimbra. I've walked 120+ days on the camino. The day/stage from Alvaiazere to Rabacal went straight into my all time top 5. Admittedly I'd been walking for 2 days in gloom and rain beforehand. And the first hour or so is on the road. But from the Alto onwards, it was glorious. Old paths, wonderful woodland, great ancient dry stonewalls (some chunky limestone?), olive groves, vineyards, orchards of walnut trees where goat-herd-esses mind their flocks grazing in the long grass. Paths that wind ingeniously between the settlements making the camino a crafty option rather than as is so often the case a lengthy detour.

Well that's about it. I think you can go prepared to address the ugly aspects to some extent. It's definitely worth incorporating reflective items onto gear and walking sticks and switching to r/h side of road on every blind bend (where traffic allows!). Having a stick to hand can curb the worst behaviour of the dogs and insect repellent liberally applied can reduce the mosquito problem. People thinking of starting from Porto should consider adding the Tomar to Coimbra section. I'd be interested to hear the comments of others who've walked the way.
Cheers, tom
Dogs come with the territory

Ideal pocket guides for during & after your Camino. Each weighs only 1.4 oz (40g)!
The OP is eight years old now but since the thread just got bumped, and since I walked this route a couple of months ago, I thought I'd weigh in on some of the issues it brought up.

2.a lot of mean and ugly dogs
The dogs are still around but in all but one or two cases on our camino they were locked up. This wasn't as bad as I had feared.
I don't remember seeing any mosquitos or getting any bites in September.
2.the lack of albergues. Just one that I'm aware of, brand new in Sernandelo on the exit of Mealhada.
Wow, there was only one albergue on the whole Lisbon-Porto stretch in 2012? There are a lot more now, although many of them were closed for the pandemic.
4.Waymarking towards the end.
I'd say waymarking is fine all the way to Porto now.
I also loved the Tomar-Coimbra stretch. For those interested, we talk about this stretch and the whole Lisbon-Porto part of the CP in episode 1.3 of the Spirit of the Camino podcast.

These old threads are fun to look at because you can really get a sense of how things have changed. In 2008, when I walked from Lisbon, the pilgrims office reported 357 starting in Lisbon. In 2012, when @peregrino_tom walked, that number had risen to 977 (almost a tripling), and in 2019, the number was 2651 (not quite another tripling). The number of pilgrims starting in Lisbon in 2019 was more than the number starting the Norte in Irún in 2010, just as a comparison for those who are familiar with other caminos, so the trend line is pretty clear.

The bane of my camino from Lisbon was getting lost in a couple of eucalyptus forests. As José Luis pointed out earlier in the thread, it’s hard to get arrows on trees that drop all their bark frequently, and then when they put up more permanent markings, they become “souvenir-ized.” But I know the waymarking has improved dramatically, as has the amount of the walk that has been moved off road.

I am definitely in the dog-phobic camp, and I had no incidents with loose dogs. The mean, angry ones were, luckily, always in cages or chained. Not a pretty site, but not dangerous, at least as long as the chains held. In my experience, more pilgrims bring fewer loose dogs (Villavieja on the Invierno being a prime example).

Some things that have not changed are the warmth and kindness of the Portuguese people and the very good, fresh, and inexpensive food.

The Ugly

The Bad

The Good

Cheers, tom
I agree with starting from Tomar and recommend spending a day exploring the town-especially the Templar castle and Convento. The experience changed for me after Tomar. I had planned to hike in Morocco's Atlas mountains for 2 weeks after finishing the Central and Muxia loop, but the earthquake happened. I found a volunteer placement at a albergue/restaurant which is re-opening west of Alvieazere and was able to explore local trails and visit Tomar again! Combria is also a highlight. I wish I had visited Lisbon then rode the train to Tomar. Too many folks start at Lisbon or Porto. I also recommend staying in Villa Nova de Gaia, especially if you can get into The House of Sandeman. It is excellent and close to the park where folks watch the incredible sunset.

3rd Edition. More content, training & pack guides avoid common mistakes, bed bugs etc
I walked from Lisbon with a friend in 2010. We met only a couple before Porto.
This April/May, absolutely loved it. Lisbon is so beautiful , I was solo and met an amazing group of pilgrims.
Many dogs barking but all behind fences. I was sad after Porto as most of my amigos took the coastal
and I repeated the central. Met others then too. Excellent!

The Ugly

The Bad

The Good

Cheers, tom
Funny, I left Lisbon October 1 and never confronted a mosquito. It was the flies that tormented me. I found the first half of the Camino Portuguese to be wonderful. In fact, I found it so wonderful I may walk it again in March.

3rd Edition. More content, training & pack guides avoid common mistakes, bed bugs etc

Most read last week in this forum

A piece from La Voz de Galicia commenting on the remarkable growth in numbers walking the Camino Portugues and especially the Coastal variant. The president of the local Amigos association...
Do I need to bring my own pillow & pillow case for albergues?
Greetings fellow pilgrims! I'm planning our journey from Porto to Vigo, beginning on Senda Litoral and eventually merging into the coastal route. Does anyone have recommendations a good place to...
Hi, Has anyone stayed in Armenteira recently? I’ve contacted Victor the Taxi to try and reserve a bunk at the Slbuergue de peregrinos. He told me to contact “ Albergue de San Ero de Armenteira”...
My friend is currently on the Camino Portuguese - a route that he has walked before and has now seen a number of markings as below. What does the Red Cross out signify?
Hi I start to walk the Central on April 24th from Porto and need to send a suitcase to IVAR in Santiago for storage. Has anyone done this and if so did you use DHL or another courier company and...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back