• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Lisbon to Porto coastal guide books/apps

AJGuillaume

Pèlerin du monde
Time of past OR future Camino
Via Gebennensis (2018)
Via Podiensis (2018)
Voie Nive Bidassoa (2018)
Camino Del Norte (2018)
We're in the planning phases for our 2020 Caminho Português.
We would like to walk along the coast from Lisbon to Porto, so not the usual central way.
I am yet to find a guide book or app that covers that alternative.
Brierley, Wise Pilgrim, Cicerone all cover the coastal route from Porto, but it doesn't look like they cover the coastal route from Lisbon to Porto.
Is there a guide book or app (we prefer apps if they exist) that covers the coastal route from Lisbon to Porto? We're ok with foreign language guide books too.
Thank you
Bom Caminho

Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-
We're in the planning phases for our 2020 Caminho Português.
We would like to walk along the coast from Lisbon to Porto, so not the usual central way.
I am yet to find a guide book or app that covers that alternative.
Brierley, Wise Pilgrim, Cicerone all cover the coastal route from Porto, but it doesn't look like they cover the coastal route from Lisbon to Porto.
Is there a guide book or app (we prefer apps if they exist) that covers the coastal route from Lisbon to Porto? We're ok with foreign language guide books too.
Thank you
Bom Caminho

I don’t want to rain on your parade @AJGuillaume (see, I spelled it correctly!), but I think the coastal route from Lisbon is a bit of a misnomer. Unless you mean the trail of sand, Trilho das Areias. But first things first. As I understand it, the coastal route goes alongside the river from central Lisbon out to the mouth of the Tejo in Cascais. This is along a very busy road, but there may be some rotection. Once in Cascais, I believe the route goes up to Sintra, and from there it may get back out to the coast around Mafra. From their it goes, according to a forum member who is no longer on the forum, to Torres Vedras, Bombarral, Caldas da Rainha, Alcobaça and then Fátima.

Here is a bit on the Trilho das Areias, https://www.caminodesantiago.me/community/threads/the-real-caminho-da-costa-lisboa-santiago.47452/

(And I will move this thread over to the subforum on the Coastal route from Lisbon, where you will find more information.).
Bom caminho, Laurie

I don’t want to rain on your parade @AJGuillaume (see, I spelled it correctly!), but I think the coastal route from Lisbon is a bit of a misnomer. Unless you mean the trail of sand, Trilho das Areias. But first things first. As I understand it, the coastal route goes alongside the river from central Lisbon out to the mouth of the Tejo in Cascais. This is along a very busy road, but there may be some rotection. Once in Cascais, I believe the route goes up to Sintra, and from there it may get back out to the coast around Mafra. From their it goes, according to a forum member who is no longer on the forum, to Torres Vedras, Bombarral, Caldas da Rainha, Alcobaça and then Fátima.

Here is a bit on the Trilho das Areias, https://www.caminodesantiago.me/community/threads/the-real-caminho-da-costa-lisboa-santiago.47452/

(And I will move this thread over to the subforum on the Coastal route from Lisbon, where you will find more information.).
Bom caminho, Laurie
Thank you Laurie, as ever, you have a wealth of information and knowledge!!
By coastal route, I mean any path that takes us closer to the coast.
I'm finding bits and pieces that I'll have to put together, such as parts of the GR11-E9, the Caminho do Atlântico north of Lisbon.
I think I'll stop looking for a guide book, and try my luck with Wikiloc.
Thank you again!
Bom Caminho !

Join our full-service guided tour and let us convert you into a Pampered Pilgrim!
Hi,
I hiked it last year, I made my tracks with the help of this site : http://www.caminador.es/
I've made some videos on my youtube 's channel : he.panpub ; see videos 4, 5, 6 and 7 of my 2018 Camino.
I can send you my gps tracks, my stages and try to answer to your questions.
here's a link to a small guide in french of LIsbon-Porto : http://www.verscompostelle.be/guides gratuits/Portugais Lisbonne-Porto par les plages-FR2016.pdf

Regards, from Bretagne

Merci infiniment @he.panpub !
That's excellent information!
We're aiming to do short stages: last year we walked from Switzerland to SdC with an average of 16km per day. Do you think it is possible to do short stages?
If you wouldn't mind, I would love to have your GPS tracks and stages.
We're bilingual, so we have no problems with info in French.
Merci d'avance !
Bom Caminho !

Hi,
In some places, it is difficult to make short stages. Nevertheless, compared to what I did, it is possible to split a few stages. I'll think about a new division
Regards,
Henri

A selection of Camino Jewellery

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back