• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Lisbon to Porto

Winggs

Time of past OR future Camino
My wife and I are planning our Camino Portuguese starting from Porto. What is the best way to travel from Lisbon to Porto? Where to stay in Porto for three days before starting out? Thank you.

Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-
Hi @Winggs

There are buses (autobus) and trains (Comboio) many times a day from Lisbon to Porto, and the prices are very accessible.
You can check this website for some ideas: https://www.rome2rio.com/map/Lisbon/Porto

Also, Porto has plenty of accomodation. For 3 days you may need a hotel instead of an albergue. I stayed in Moov Central and it was excellent (despite being on the top of a hill - the city is VERY hilly). What kind of accomodation are you looking for?

Anamya, thank you for getting back to me. Probably a descent hotel for three days. The other question I have is, we would like to spend another two weeks in Europe before returning to Canada. I was wondering if you are aware of how we could ship a suitcase to Santiago so that we would have some clothes for traveling after the Camino.
Thank you again

Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-
Back in April, we flew TAP Portugal from Lisbon to Porto inexpensively and only took 45 mins. In Porto, we stayed at an Air BnB for two nights , better than hotel. We also used Tuitran to transport our backpack for 5 euro daily, until we reached Santiago.

Winggs, once you are in Porto (where you have some time), you can go to a Post Office and mail your suitcase to Ivar, administrator of this forum. He has a luggage storage service in Santiago and can keep your suitcase until you arrive there.

Another alternative is to contact your Santiago accommodation and check if then can store it for you until you arrive. I did that in 2017. The TuiTrans company mentioned above transported my suitcase with post-camino clothes, and the hotel kept it for more than a week before I arrive (but it was kinda low season, so check beforehand).

€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.
Winggs, once you are in Porto (where you have some time), you can go to a Post Office and mail your suitcase to Ivar, administrator of this forum. He has a luggage storage service in Santiago and can keep your suitcase until you arrive there.

Another alternative is to contact your Santiago accommodation and check if then can store it for you until you arrive. I did that in 2017. The TuiTrans company mentioned above transported my suitcase with post-camino clothes, and the hotel kept it for more than a week before I arrive (but it was kinda low season, so check beforehand).
It seems that TuiTrans does offer the service of delivering luggage directly to Santiago

Back in April, we flew TAP Portugal from Lisbon to Porto inexpensively and only took 45 mins. In Porto, we stayed at an Air BnB for two nights , better than hotel. We also used Tuitran to transport our backpack for 5 euro daily, until we reached Santiago.
Thank you that would be great now I see that it would be quite easy to travel between Lisbon and Porto

The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
i can recommend the Hotel Boa-Vista! It is right where the Douro meets the ocean in cute and becoming a little more each year fashionable Foz. You can take the old timey tram into town or the 500 bus - about 15 - 20 minutes along the river. The hotel has nice rooms, nice pool, nice people, nice brekkie. If you have lots of money, stay at the Yeatman :)

i can recommend the Hotel Boa-Vista! It is right where the Douro meets the ocean in cute and becoming a little more each year fashionable Foz. You can take the old timey tram into town or the 500 bus - about 15 - 20 minutes along the river. The hotel has nice rooms, nice pool, nice people, nice brekkie. If you have lots of money, stay at the Yeatman :)

Sparrow, thank you is this hotel in Santiago?

Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-
Sparrow, thank you is this hotel in Santiago?
Both of those mentioned are Porto (Foz is in Porto)
I stayed at the Last Stamp Hostel in Santiago and liked it very much. But people I am sure would have lots of suggestions. :)

Hospideria San Martin Pinario in Santiago is the best for history and location. Pilgrim rooms for 25€ including breakfast. It fills up fast though, so book as soon as you know your dates.

Hospideria San Martin Pinario in Santiago is the best for history and location. Pilgrim rooms for 25€ including breakfast. It fills up fast though, so book as soon as you know your dates.
You have to contact them directly via email or phone to get the pilgrim rate. If you use their booking form, or booking.com you will only be directed to their hotel rooms.

The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
In Porto I've stayed at Selina Porto - a hip hostel with private rooms too. I got a good price on Hotel Tonight.

And on my last Camino I decided to stay in Matosinhos, because of its proximity to the airport, and I stayed at Casa Rietsch, which was great.

In Porto I've stayed at Selina Porto - a hip hostel with private rooms too. I got a good price on Hotel Tonight.

And on my last Camino I decided to stay in Matosinhos, because of its proximity to the airport, and I stayed at Casa Rietsch, which was great.

How long in advance should I make my reservations in Porto and in Santiago?

The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
It depends on the time of year, but when you are absolutely certain of your dates you can make reservations.
Great, thank you we plan to walk the Portuguese Camino next September from the 15th and take two weeks

Most read last week in this forum

Doing research for my upcoming Camino, I want to connect from coastal to central in Caminha. According to JB the ecopista is pleasant along the river, but I notice Stingy Nomads recommend the...
Will be walking the CP in Aug/Sep with planning clearly focused to staying (for the most part) on the Litoral. However, (using Brierley's Guide) the stage from A Ramallosa to Vigo sets up quite a...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back