• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Lisbon to Santiago 20 k or less per day?

Time of past OR future Camino
Frances in 2016, Portuguese in 2017, and Frances again in 2018. Madrid to Ponferrada 2019.
I'm considering walking from Lisbon to Santiago around April 15th. I am a 15 to 20 K per day pilgrim. Is it possible to do this walk without getting off the Camino and have a bed each night?
Also considering Madrid to Santiago?
Thanks

Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
Do you require an albergue, or will any lodging do?

I did this camino last September. I may be wrong, but I don't think you will find a bed every 15-20 k. It seems to me there will be 7-10 stages which would need to be longer, or you would need transportation.

I did this camino last September. I may be wrong, but I don't think you will find a bed every 15-20 k. It seems to me there will be 7-10 stages which would need to be longer, or you would need transportation.
Any lodging would be fine. I just don't want to have to walk 35k in some rough weather.

St James' Way - Self-guided 4-7 day Walking Packages, Reading to Southampton, 110 kms
Hello. I arrive in Lisbon on 19 April and set off the next day if you would like to be accompanied at the start. The weather could be mixed but there are far fewer walkers on this section. The new edition of John Brierleys guide has just been published by the way and there us the 2 part CSJ downliadable guide from Laurie Reynolds and Johnnie Walker.

Have you seen the forum resource entitled ¨Short Stages from Lisbon?¨ It was written a few years ago, but has some good suggestions. https://www.caminodesantiago.me/community/resources/short-stages-from-lisbon-to-porto.133/. And as filly notes, we have two guides in the resources section, one from Lisbon'Porto and the other from Porto-Santiago.

The one thing that the short stages document doesn´t mention is the recent opening of the Alpriate albergue, about 20 from the Lisbon cathedral. YOu can find out more information by searching here on the forum using just the word Alpriate as the search term.

Good luck with this and if you have any specific questions on a particular stage, just let us know. There's a very devoted group of forum members who have walked from Lisbon and are happy to help. Bom caminho, Laurie

I'm considering walking from Lisbon to Santiago around April 15th. I am a 15 to 20 K per day pilgrim. Is it possible to do this walk without getting off the Camino and have a bed each night?
Thanks

I plan to walk from Lisbon Sept/Oct 2017 and here is my break down. There is one segment from Tomar to Alvaiázere that I am unsure where I can stop somewhere in between. Hopefully someone who have walked the route could suggest a stop in between.

Lisbon – Alpriate 21
Alpriate – Vila Franca de Xira 16
Vila Franca – Azambuja 19
Azambuja - Porto de Mugo 12
Porto de Mugo - Santarem 16
Santarém – Azinhaga 24
Azinhaga - Atalaia 16
Atalaia - Tomar 21
Tomar – Alvaiázere 31
Alvaiázere - Ansiao 15
Ansiao - Rabacal 17
Rabaçal – Conímbriga/Condexia-a-Nova 11
Conimbriga/Condexia-a-Nova – Coimbra 20
Coimbra – Mealhada 23
Mealhada – Águeda 26
Águeda – Albergaria-a-Velha 17
Albergaria-a-Velha - Oliveira de Azemeis 16
Oliveira de Azemei - Lourosa 21
Loursoa - Porto 24

3rd Edition. More content, training & pack guides avoid common mistakes, bed bugs etc
I plan to walk from Lisbon Sept/Oct 2017 and here is my break down. There is one segment from Tomar to Alvaiázere that I am unsure where I can stop somewhere in between. Hopefully someone who have walked the route could suggest a stop in between.

Lisbon – Alpriate 21
Santarém – Azinhaga 24
Azinhaga - Atalaia 16
Atalaia - Tomar 21
Tomar – Alvaiázere 31
Alvaiázere - Ansiao 15
Ansiao - Rabacal 17
Coimbra – Mealhada 23
Mealhada – Águeda 26
Loursoa - Porto 24
You could skip the nasty part before Vila Franca de Xira by taking the train to Azambuja and take the bus out of Tomar for about 10 kms. Between Tomar and Alvaizére is nothing to stay.

After Oliveira de Azemeís is an opportunity to sleep in São João da Madeira which makes your next stage to Porto shorter by staying in Grijo in the albergue

Any lodging would be fine. I just don't want to have to walk 35k in some rough weather.
Thank you

Hello. I arrive in Lisbon on 19 April and set off the next day if you would like to be accompanied at the start. The weather could be mixed but there are far fewer walkers on this section. The new edition of John Brierleys guide has just been published by the way and there us the 2 part CSJ downliadable guide from Laurie Reynolds and Johnnie Walker.
Thanks for the kind offer. Not sure if I want to wait four days in Lisbon but I will let you know.

Have you seen the forum resource entitled ¨Short Stages from Lisbon?¨ It was written a few years ago, but has some good suggestions. https://www.caminodesantiago.me/community/resources/short-stages-from-lisbon-to-porto.133/. And as filly notes, we have two guides in the resources section, one from Lisbon'Porto and the other from Porto-Santiago.

The one thing that the short stages document doesn´t mention is the recent opening of the Alpriate albergue, about 20 from the Lisbon cathedral. YOu can find out more information by searching here on the forum using just the word Alpriate as the search term.

Good luck with this and if you have any specific questions on a particular stage, just let us know. There's a very devoted group of forum members who have walked from Lisbon and are happy to help. Bom caminho, Laurie
Thanks for the update on Alpriate and the additional resources.

Ideal pocket guides for during & after your Camino. Each weighs only 1.4 oz (40g)!

Lisbon – Alpriate 21
Santarém – Azinhaga 24
Azinhaga - Atalaia 16
Atalaia - Tomar 21
Tomar – Alvaiázere 31
Alvaiázere - Ansiao 15
Ansiao - Rabacal 17
Coimbra – Mealhada 23
Mealhada – Águeda 26
Loursoa - Porto 24
Wonderful info Lydia. Thank you. It's looking more appealing with the shorter distances. On the Frances, I enjoyed walking alone during the day and socializing in the evenings. I'm mindful that there will be much less pilgrims and I am hoping for some fellowship.

You could skip the nasty part before Vila Franca de Xira by taking the train to Azambuja and take the bus out of Tomar for about 10 kms. Between Tomar and Alvaizére is nothing to stay.

After Oliveira de Azemeís is an opportunity to sleep in São João da Madeira which makes your next stage to Porto shorter by staying in Grijo in the albergue
Great. Thanks Albertino.

Lisbon – Alpriate 21
Santarém – Azinhaga 24
Azinhaga - Atalaia 16
Atalaia - Tomar 21
Tomar – Alvaiázere 31
Alvaiázere - Ansiao 15
Ansiao - Rabacal 17
Coimbra – Mealhada 23
Mealhada – Águeda 26
Loursoa - Porto 24
Hi, Lydia,
The hostal owners in these stages all cooperate with each other and are happy to help with transport. You should look at the document I wrote up on "short stages from Lisbon," which I linked to in the post before yours. Mario in Santarem is a godsend, and I'v heard very good things about the people in tomar, Alvaiazare, and beyond!

The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.

Thanks Laurie.

There is one segment from Tomar to Alvaiázere that I am unsure where I can stop somewhere in between. Hopefully someone who have walked the route could suggest a stop in between.

Hi Lydia, there is nowhere to stay between Tomar and Alvaiazere. Having already walked this stretch once, I took the 10:30 bus (check the bus timetables at the bus station in Tomar) to Alvaiazere, rather than walk in 32C heat, and I stayed at the Pinheiro albergue (very, very nice). By the time 2 caminho friends had arrived (one walked, the other one took the later bus), I had sourced a place to eat, and then a really cool bar on the other side of town, which we didn’t leave till after 1am. (The albergue gives you a key to the front door, but we were the only 3 staying there anyway.) Bom Caminho.
Jill

Hi Chito!
Leaving Lisbon April 3rd. Am not doing more than 20ks a day and less is no problem. So where accommodation is not available I'll be doing the "taxi collect me in the afternoon bring me back tomorrow morning" thing.
Regards and good travelling.
Thanks to all for the advice.
Gerard

A selection of Camino Jewellery
I met people who used the taxi option when they were unable to walk the entire distance between lodgings. Mostly this is in the Lisbon-Porto portion. They arranged it with the Via Lusitana organization. They have a 24-hour phone line for pilgrims.

On the Lisbon-Porto portion, you will meet far less people, but my experience was I never passed an entire day and evening without seeing a pilgrim. After Porto, there are many more pilgrims, and also more lodging options within closer range of each other.

Some favorite hostels for me in the first portion were Santarem Hostel, Antonio in Algueda, Reina Teresa in Albargaria and the very basic Grijo, a last stop before reaching Porto. As I recall, the only options in Oliveira are the big hotel Dighton or the bomberos voluntaries. Other options mentioned in the Brierley guide are gone.

A guide to speaking Spanish on the Camino - enrich your pilgrim experience.

Lisbon – Alpriate 21
Santarém – Azinhaga 24
Azinhaga - Atalaia 16
Atalaia - Tomar 21
Tomar – Alvaiázere 31
Alvaiázere - Ansiao 15
Ansiao - Rabacal 17
Coimbra – Mealhada 23
Mealhada – Águeda 26
Loursoa - Porto 24
Hi Lydia :)

this is my plan:
Lisabon – Alpriate, 22,8 km
Alpriate – Vila Franca de Xira, 18,4 km
Vila Franca de Xira – Valada, 28,8 km
Valada – Santarem, 19,5 km
Santarem - Olhos da agua, 29,0 km
Olhos de agua – Fatima, 27,0 km
Fatima – Tomar, 30,0 km
Tomar – Alvalazere, 31,2 km
Alvalazere – Rabacal, 32,5 km
Rabacal – Coimbra, 29,5 km
Coimbra – Mealhada, 19,2 km
Mealhada – Agueda, 25,0 km
Agueda – Albegaria a Velha, 16,8 km
Albergaria a Velha – Sao Joao de Madeira, 28,9 km
Sao Joao de Madeira – Grijo, 19,4 km
Grijo – Porto, 16,7 km
Porto – Monasterio de Vairao, 24,9 km
Monasterio de Vairao – Pedra Furada, 19,7 km
Pedra Furada – Portela de Tamel, 19,2 km
Portela de Tamel – Ponte de Lima, 24,5 km
Ponte de Lima – Fontoura, 24,9 km
Fontoura – O Porrino, 27,7 km
O Porrino - Arcade, 22,2 k
Arcade - Briallos, 29,2 km
Briallos - Padron, 23,4 km
Padron – Santiago de Compostela, 23,7 km

I'm starting 07th May :cool:

Bota :)

As I recall, the only options in Oliveira are the big hotel Dighton

Hotel Dighton in Oliveira had a special pilgrim's rate when I stayed a year ago, so they are worth checking out!
Jill

I am sorry to say but again this entire post is in the wrong subforum.
Again as quoted many times before this INTERIOR route is at the east side of Portugal, very remote -few pilgrims walk the INTERIOR. IT never starts in Lisbon nor in Porto but close by Coimbra in the center of Portugal and leads via Viseu ,Lamego and Chaves to Ourense at t he Via da Plate route.
This post is about the CENTRAL ROUTE . I do not know how to prevent this. Any moderator an idea ?

The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
I am sorry to say but again this entire post is in the wrong subforum.
Again as quoted many times before this INTERIOR route is at the east side of Portugal, very remote -few pilgrims walk the INTERIOR. IT never starts in Lisbon nor in Porto but close by Coimbra in the center of Portugal and leads via Viseu ,Lamego and Chaves to Ourense at t he Via da Plate route.
This post is about the CENTRAL ROUTE . I do not know how to prevent this. Any moderator an idea ?
ayyyy Albertinho, I usually catch this but missed it this time. Ivar has moved the CPI subforum further down the list, and that has helped a fair amount, but it still happens. One alternative would be to have a special sub-forum for "central route" but I think that would then cause confusion too. Thanks for paying more attention than I did. :)

ayyyy Albertinho, I usually catch this but missed it this time. Ivar has moved the CPI subforum further down the list, and that has helped a fair amount, but it still happens. One alternative would be to have a special sub-forum for "central route" but I think that would then cause confusion too. Thanks for paying more attention than I did. :)
It happened to me too Laurie :)
Not that worse but it is better to keep the posts,comments and expertise in the subforum where they belong.

The problem is that there is no mentioning of the CENTRAL route because that is the common place where most of the posts begin.
Lots of people think the COASTAL is the route along the coast -logical -and as soon as you leave the coastal you go INTERIOR Unfortunately that is not true. You follow the CENTRALroute . Very confusing.

Maybe the moderators can change the names of subforums of the routes in
Caminho Português Lisbon-Porto-Santiago-central route
Caminho Português Porto -Caminha - Vigo -Santiago coastal route
Caminho Português Farminhão -Viseu -Chaves -Ourense Santiago Interior route
Variante Espiritual. -Pontevedra-Vilanova de Arousa -Padrón -Santiago.
It will be more clear after studying the Portuguese and north-western map of Spain.

Bom caminho

Thanks
I walked this in September 2016 and also planned for shorter days and specifically a stop in Valada or Port de Muge. However I did not make a reservation and as the villages are small, a local festival had all beds booked. I, and several other pilgrims found a bed with Paula Castro 939997657, directly adjacent the camino near Valada. She is a generous woman and made three trips down the camino to fetch us and then provide rooms and meals. Even so, her home filled to the brim. I suggest reservations. There aren't many pilgrims but there aren't many beds either. Helen at CR Casa de Azzancha (Brierly 2016) also provided service, fetching us next day as well. Her CR was lovely. We were all delighted with these generous offers of a lift and accommodation. We were fresh on the road and the heat and walking surfaces were challenging.
Buen camino!

Join our full-service guided tour of the Basque Country and let us pamper you!
Hurrah! Just received the newly published, revised 8th edition, A Pilgrims Guide to the Camino Portugues by John Brierley (bought on wordery.com - free worldwide shipping!)

The maps show the different caminos clearly. Fatima does NOT figure as a camino but does appear on the map.

Interestingly whilst hiking in Tasmania two weeks ago, I met someone living in Estoril, and he recommended a coastal variant from there to Coimbra: not the Camino but tempting...,

I walked this in September 2016 and also planned for shorter days and specifically a stop in Valada or Port de Muge. However I did not make a reservation and as the villages are small, a local festival had all beds booked. I, and several other pilgrims found a bed with Paula Castro 939997657, directly adjacent the camino near Valada. She is a generous woman and made three trips down the camino to fetch us and then provide rooms and meals. Even so, her home filled to the brim. I suggest reservations. There aren't many pilgrims but there aren't many beds either. Helen at CR Casa de Azzancha (Brierly 2016) also provided service, fetching us next day as well. Her CR was lovely. We were all delighted with these generous offers of a lift and accommodation. We were fresh on the road and the heat and walking surfaces were challenging.
Buen camino!
Great info. Thank you Magpye.

Hurrah! Just received the newly published, revised 8th edition, A Pilgrims Guide to the Camino Portugues by John Brierley (bought on wordery.com - free worldwide shipping!)

The maps show the different caminos clearly. Fatima does NOT figure as a camino but does appear on the map.

Interestingly whilst hiking in Tasmania two weeks ago, I met someone living in Estoril, and he recommended a coastal variant from there to Coimbra: not the Camino but tempting...,
Hi filly. I just received my 8th Edition as well from Ivar. I live in Florida and received it within a week. Thanks for sharing the useful information.

New Original Camino Gear Designed Especially with The Modern Peregrino In Mind!
Buen camino!
Thank you Magpie!!! Hope you are having a good Camino and hope to welcome you back in our small Casa de Azzancha one day again in the future! All the best! :)

Most read last week in this forum

A piece from La Voz de Galicia commenting on the remarkable growth in numbers walking the Camino Portugues and especially the Coastal variant. The president of the local Amigos association...
Do I need to bring my own pillow & pillow case for albergues?
My friend is currently on the Camino Portuguese - a route that he has walked before and has now seen a number of markings as below. What does the Red Cross out signify?
Hi I start to walk the Central on April 24th from Porto and need to send a suitcase to IVAR in Santiago for storage. Has anyone done this and if so did you use DHL or another courier company and...
Hi, Has anyone stayed in Armenteira recently? I’ve contacted Victor the Taxi to try and reserve a bunk at the Slbuergue de peregrinos. He told me to contact “ Albergue de San Ero de Armenteira”...
We are flying into Lisbon, then taking a train to Tomar for a couple nights, which looks pretty easy. What is less clear is the best way from Tomar to Porto. Have you done this? What do you...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back