• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Lisbon to Santiago in 19 days?

Nauzanplage

Hi
Planning our Camino for End of August but have only 19 days to complete the journey. (Plus one day at each end).
This looks just about possible to us (we have already completed SJJP to Santiago).
However are there any buses or trains to skip parts if necessary and any industrial areas worth missing?
Also should we allow any days to explore recommended towns (Lisbon Porto Fatima).

We expect the weather to be hot - are there plenty of places to refill water bottles or should we bring our camelbaks?

Thanks for any help.

Rich

The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
Hi Rich
In 2010 we took 23 days to walk from Lisbon to Santiago without a rest day(my Canadian buddy was a slavedriver). Lisbon is a beautiful city and we had 2 nights there prior to starting. Porto would also be a great stopover city. We took a bus from Sao Joao to Porto in order to have a full day to see the sights, not forgetting to sample some Port! Coimbra impressed me also. We did not go via Fatima.
There are a few industrial areas to walk through but not sure about buses.We used Laurie's guide so she would be able to help you more.
It was incredibly hot from 1st September for first week or two.( seemingly it is not usually so hot ). We managed to refill our water bottles at cafes,shops or fountains up to Porto and then no problems from there as there were many fountains.
I must admit the first section was hard but looking back it was a great adventure and I would do it again although at a cooler time of year. Hope this helps.
Bom caminho
Heather

Rich, I am a purist and have twice walked the Camino Frances from St Jean. Your project is just possible however please ask yourself why you are doing this? I for one cannot race through the stages, adding more and more kilometerage combining stages and busing through the unpleasant bits. The Camino grants one freedom, allows intriguing personal encounters, and may influence the walker much like meditation or yoga...if you will allow it to come in. Running about, "allowing" half a day to visit beautiful places, and speeding recklessly by others all in order to maintain a time table or to receive the documentation of a tried and true Pilgrim marathon runner should not be a consideration. I would do half and permit yourself to benefit from the Camino, you may "conquer" the Way but it is an empty victory if you have not been able to reflect, to internalize, and to confront yourself, not the physicality, but your true inner self, without which this is no accomplishment at all.

St James' Way - Self-guided 4-7 day Walking Packages, Reading to Southampton, 110 kms

Most read last week in this forum

Bom dia dear pilgrims, I plan on returning to Portugal this summer, after walking the Salvador + Primitivo. I have a few questions: - What is the easiest way to get from SdC to Coimbra? I assume...
My final question since I have asked sooo many. Grabbing a light lunch that I can get on the go, hoping to grab it, and find a square or a bench to enjoy it, then get back to walking. Not really...
Hello everyone! My wife and I are doing our first Camino in Sept and I was very curious about the stretch from Tui to Pontevedra. We have been to Spain multiple times and love the small towns...
Dear all, I have done Camino Frances, Norte and Primitivo and would like to ask about Portuges. I have some soul-searching to do and would love to walk a part of it, unfortunately only a part...
We arrived in Lisbon yesterday, 48 hrs (by choice via Singapore, Milan and Madrid) after leaving home from regional South Australia. Train to Porto tomorrow hitting the pilgram path on Saturday to...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back