• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Lisbon to Santiago in July! A few questions:)

Juwa

Time of past OR future Camino
Camino francés (2018), Camino Portugués 2019
Hi! First of all I wanted to ask if anyone is going to be walking the Portuguese Camino in July? I’m starting out from Lisbon on the morning of June 30th and would be great to know if I’ll be completely alone on the route or not as I’m slightly concerned with the posts I’ve read about flashers and perverts following women around. Also, I would like to ask if it is necessary to have a stamp from the cathedral to begin your Camino or if you can just get a stamp from another place in Lisbon? This is because I plan to walk quite early (and far) on the first day and the cathedral doesn’t open until 9.30 apparently. The passport itself I can buy from a Danish pilgrims organization before I leave, so that won’t be a problem.

Hope to hear from you guys soon!

Julia

The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
Hello@Juwa. I wanted a stamp from the Lisbon cathedral, so I just got one the day before. You CAN get it from anywhere though, it doesn't matter. The true start of the CP is not the main cathedral as most believe, but the tiny church of Santiago just up the hill toward the castle of St. George. You can see its location by clicking here to my blog. However, the church to Santiago has very few open hours, so don't plan on getting a stamp here if you choose to go.

You will most likely be more alone in the Lisbon to Porto stretch than most Caminos. However, in June there may be more than when we walked in April. Just be prepared for the heat! You will walk through lots of open fields before you reach the more hilly areas to the north.

We never ran into any perverts, nor heard of anyone else having that experience, but you never know. Carry a whistle you can reach easily to scare them. Also have the "Alert Cops" Spanish app on your phone that you can call if needed! It's in English so no worries there!

I have written extensively on the Camino Portugues, hopefully this information will be useful for you. Have a wonderful Camino and happy planning!

Hi! First of all I wanted to ask if anyone is going to be walking the Portuguese Camino in July? I’m starting out from Lisbon on the morning of June 30th and would be great to know if I’ll be completely alone on the route or not as I’m slightly concerned with the posts I’ve read about flashers and perverts following women around. Also, I would like to ask if it is necessary to have a stamp from the cathedral to begin your Camino or if you can just get a stamp from another place in Lisbon? This is because I plan to walk quite early (and far) on the first day and the cathedral doesn’t open until 9.30 apparently. The passport itself I can buy from a Danish pilgrims organization before I leave, so that won’t be a problem.

Hope to hear from you guys soon!

Julia
Just a stamp from Lisbon is all that is needed.

Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-
Thank you so much for your quick and very informative response! I just started reading your blog and it’s gotten me so excited about my Camino already:)

I will be arriving in Lisbon around 8 pm on the 29th, so I’m afraid the cathedral will be closed by then:( Do you know if it’s a necessity to have this stamp (or the one from igreja de Santiago) in order to receive ones credentials at the end of the Camino, or is it alright to just get a stamp from an albergue or cafe in Lisbon? Great tip about the whistle! Will be sure to get one before I leave:)

Thank you so much for your quick and very informative response! I just started reading your blog and it’s gotten me so excited about my Camino already:)

I will be arriving in Lisbon around 8 pm on the 29th, so I’m afraid the cathedral will be closed by then:( Do you know if it’s a necessity to have this stamp (or the one from igreja de Santiago) in order to receive ones credentials at the end of the Camino, or is it alright to just get a stamp from an albergue or cafe in Lisbon? Great tip about the whistle! Will be sure to get one before I leave:)
Thank-you @Juwa for your nice remarks. I loved this Camino and I hope you do too! Just remember if you are going on from Porto, that the Camino changes dramatically and will be loaded with peregrinos! Enjoy the solitude while you can!

Join our full-service guided tour and let us convert you into a Pampered Pilgrim!
I suggest to get any stamp from a restaurant or hotel in Lisbon although a day spent in Lisbon would be so great and allow you to get a stamp from the Cathedral.
It will be hot walking and I very strongly suggest that for the LONG HOT DRY leg from Azambuja to Santarem that you stop for the night half way at Porto de Muge. I wish I had done that! As you will read for the next 16km there is nothing at all until you get to Santarem so carry lots of water.

I suggest to get any stamp from a restaurant or hotel in Lisbon although a day spent in Lisbon would be so great and allow you to get a stamp from the Cathedral.
It will be hot walking and I very strongly suggest that for the LONG HOT DRY leg from Azambuja to Santarem that you stop for the night half way at Porto de Muge. I wish I had done that! As you will read for the next 16km there is nothing at all until you get to Santarem so carry lots of water.

Thank you for all the great advice! I do actually plan on staying a night in Porto de Muge, as I’ve read wonderful things about a hotel (or hostel/albergue) there called quinta da burra.

I don’t have much time so I’ll only be spending the evening in Lisbon and the walking on the next day to Vila Franca de Xira (and Porte de Muge the day after). In terms of the cathedral stamp though, I realize it is not a necessity, but when I get to Santiago, will not having this stamp somehow make the pass less “valid” or will I be slightly frowned upon for not having it?

Join our full-service guided tour of the Basque Country and let us pamper you!
Hi Juwa,

It certainly won't make your credential any less valid or lead to you being frowned upon, I'm sure there are many like you who for purely logistical reasons couldn't make it into the cathedral for a stamp.

Bom Caminho,

Rob.

What route are you doing from Porto onwards?! I'm starting in Porto on July 7th and plan to go coastal!

What route are you doing from Porto onwards?! I'm starting in Porto on July 7th and plan to go coastal!
I just started from Porto today! Changed my plans and jumped on the train from Lisbon yesterday:) Also think I’m going to stay on the coast. My walk to Vila do conde was so beautiful today

St James' Way - Self-guided 4-7 day Walking Packages, Reading to Southampton, 110 kms

Most read last week in this forum

A piece from La Voz de Galicia commenting on the remarkable growth in numbers walking the Camino Portugues and especially the Coastal variant. The president of the local Amigos association...
Do I need to bring my own pillow & pillow case for albergues?
Greetings fellow pilgrims! I'm planning our journey from Porto to Vigo, beginning on Senda Litoral and eventually merging into the coastal route. Does anyone have recommendations a good place to...
Hi, Has anyone stayed in Armenteira recently? I’ve contacted Victor the Taxi to try and reserve a bunk at the Slbuergue de peregrinos. He told me to contact “ Albergue de San Ero de Armenteira”...
My friend is currently on the Camino Portuguese - a route that he has walked before and has now seen a number of markings as below. What does the Red Cross out signify?
Hi I start to walk the Central on April 24th from Porto and need to send a suitcase to IVAR in Santiago for storage. Has anyone done this and if so did you use DHL or another courier company and...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back