Search 59,165 Camino Questions

A donation to the forum removes ads for you, and supports Ivar in his work running it

Advertisement
John Brierley 2022 Camino Guide
The most selling Camino Guide is shipping November 1st. Get your today and start planning.
Camino Socks
Browse the Camino Socks collection on the forum shop

Lisbon to Santiago Sept 2015

JoanneK

Past OR future Camino
Frances Part in April 2011
Frances April 2014
Camino Portuguese (Oct 2015)
I'll be blogging our Portuguese Camino as we walk an average of 20km per day. Not sure if I've done sufficient training or sorted my foot problems but it is what it is! The link is www.8feetforward.wordpress.com
There's already an account of our Camino Frances from last year and a preparatory post to make sure I can still manage the technology!

Original artwork based on your pilgrimage or other travel photos.
Donation to the Forum
A donation to this forum helps it continue to exists and also removes all ads for you.

peregrina2000

Staff member
I'll be blogging our Portuguese Camino as we walk an average of 20km per day. Not sure if I've done sufficient training or sorted my foot problems but it is what it is! The link is www.8feetforward.wordpress.com
There's already an account of our Camino Frances from last year and a preparatory post to make sure I can still manage the technology!
Bom caminho, Joanne. Looking forward to hearing all about your walk. You'll have a fan club on the forum because there's quite a dedicated group of Lisbon-lovers here. Not sure if you'll be using any of the forum resources (two guides and a short document on breaking up the stages into shorter distances) but if you do, all comments and suggestions would be greatly appreciated for this winter's update. You can post them here or send them to me. Obrigada.

Hope your have some time to enjoy Lisbon before your walk because it is a wonderful city. Bom caminho, Laurie

elizason

Past OR future Camino
Lisbon- Santiago Sept-Oct 2015
Bom caminho, Joanne. Looking forward to hearing all about your walk. You'll have a fan club on the forum because there's quite a dedicated group of Lisbon-lovers here. Not sure if you'll be using any of the forum resources (two guides and a short document on breaking up the stages into shorter distances) but if you do, all comments and suggestions would be greatly appreciated for this winter's update. You can post them here or send them to me. Obrigada.

Hope your have some time to enjoy Lisbon before your walk because it is a wonderful city. Bom caminho, Laurie
Hello Laurie,
From what I understand you had spent some time in Lisbon.
I am arriving Sept 14 and plan to spend 3-4 days or more, exploring the city before commencing my walk.
Do you have any particular points of interest that are a no-miss in your mind?
I speak Portuguese which will make getting around less complicated.
I am very spontaneous and am much more of a day tripper than night life person.
Appreciate any suggestions.
thanks much,
Eliza

JoanneK

Past OR future Camino
Frances April 2014

Thanks Laurie. I'll do my best to keep a note of updates. I have used all the documents provided through the Forum in my planning so I now have an itinerary that takes us an average of 20km each day. We have a day in Lisbon to look around and then walk only 12/13kms the first two days. I'm glad of this as my training stalled.

Camino Cups
Browse our selection of Camino Cups on the forum store
Learn how to Get "Camino Ready " 2nd Edition. In English, Spanish, German and Korean

Walking Viking

Past OR future Camino
El Camino de Santiago del Norte (2015)

Joanne,

I am planning my second camino (first camino - del Norte, April 28 - June 3, 2015), looking at Portuguese. Will follow your posts. I am especially interested in the Lisbon - Santarem - Porto segments.

Buen Camino,

WV

Last edited:

peregrina2000

Staff member
Hello Laurie,
From what I understand you had spent some time in Lisbon.
I am arriving Sept 14 and plan to spend 3-4 days or more, exploring the city before commencing my walk.
Do you have any particular points of interest that are a no-miss in your mind?
I speak Portuguese which will make getting around less complicated.
I am very spontaneous and am much more of a day tripper than night life person.
Appreciate any suggestions.
thanks much,
Eliza

Hi, Eliza, oh lucky you. I have a "walking tour" that I made up years ago and I will attach it to this post. I'd also recommend the Tile Museum for a visit, as well as a trip to Belem where the monastery is. The Tile Museum is right on the Caminho from the Cathedral, so if you are planning a short day from the Cathedral to the Parque das Nacoes for example, you could just visit the museum as you are walking.

The best way to hear fado, at least for a pilgrim who goes to bed early, is to go to the daily 7 pm performance in the Chiado. Not as atmospheric as listening to it in a dark crowded bar, but still a very good introduction. The quality of the musicians is high, IMO. http://www.fadoinchiado.com/

I have a list of restaurants but can't find it right now. If I do, I'll post it as well. Bom caminho! Laurie

Attachments

• Lisbon Walking Tour.pdf
    174 KB · Views: 7

JoanneK

Past OR future Camino
Frances April 2014
Thanks Laurie. I have your walking tour ready to be accessef on Tuesday! QUOTE="peregrina2000, post: 339734, member: 537"]Hi, Eliza, oh lucky you. I have a "walking tour" that I made up years ago and I will attach it to this post. I'd also recommend the Tile Museum for a visit, as well as a trip to Belem where the monastery is. The Tile Museum is right on the Caminho from the Cathedral, so if you are planning a short day from the Cathedral to the Parque das Nacoes for example, you could just visit the museum as you are walking.

The best way to hear fado, at least for a pilgrim who goes to bed early, is to go to the daily 7 pm performance in the Chiado. Not as atmospheric as listening to it in a dark crowded bar, but still a very good introduction. The quality of the musicians is high, IMO. http://www.fadoinchiado.com/

I have a list of restaurants but can't find it right now. If I do, I'll post it as well. Bom caminho! Laurie[/QUOTE]
T

elizason

Past OR future Camino
Lisbon- Santiago Sept-Oct 2015
You are the best Laurie,
What I meant was I am not a club extra late night kind of person, I won't miss The Chiado after dark !
Thanks so much.
Life is a great wonder, always something new and exciting waiting around the corner, one just has to turn the corner.
All the best,
Eliza

peregrina2000

Staff member

Hi Joanne
Forgive me all of you, and with these words I'm not saying not to go to Fado in Chiado, but the "Fado in Chiado" is for tourists.
I prefer the "fado vadio" (amateur), which are sung in taverns and small restaurants of Alfama and Bairro Alto. The "fadistas" are not professional, there are good "fadistas" and other less good but it is more appreciated by the Portuguese people. There are more interaction between the "fadistas" and people who are in the restaurants to attend and to participate.
AMSimoes[/QUOTE]
Hi, Aurelio, I agree competely with your assessment of fado performances, and I know that Fado in Chiado is for tourists. I am no judge of fado but a Portuguese friend said the quality there is really not bad, it's just the ambiance that is so different from the fado places in Chiado or Alfama. But for people who are walking at daybreak the next day, those "start at 11 pm" authentic performances are not really feasible. If you're not walking, find some of the real stuff (though be careful, because there is plenty of "tourist" fado in the late night restaurants, too). Bom caminho, Laurie

Original artwork based on your pilgrimage or other travel photos.
A thought-provoking Camino memoir. This day-by-day account will inspire you.

Did not find what you were looking for? Search here

Popular Resources

“All” Albergues on the Camino Frances in one pdf ivar
  • Featured
“All” Albergues on the Camino Frances in one pdf
4.95 star(s) 102 ratings
Downloads
Updated
A selection of favorite albergues on the Camino Francés Ton van Tilburg
Favorite Albergues along the Camino Frances
4.83 star(s) 35 ratings
Downloads