• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Lisbon To Santiago?

linda piso

Time of past OR future Camino
English (Summer 2016)
Portuguese (Fall 2017)
Hello there. Can anyone direct me on how to get from Lisbon to Santiago. I'm coming from East Coast and want to go to Fatima after my Camino, but can't figure out how to get to Santiago. Your help would be appreciated.

€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.
Sorry Linda
I'm a bit confused with your msg

You're coming from east coast of which country?
Which Camino are you walking and are you walking it before this or during.

To get a start /rough idea you could look at a site called. Rome2rio.com
You can plug in anything from your neighbourhood to world travel and it will give pretty good indication of options

Other than that , let us know more detail? Pls?

Annie

Sorry Linda
I'm a bit confused with your msg

You're coming from east coast of which country?
Which Camino are you walking and are you walking it before this or during.

To get a start /rough idea you could look at a site called. Rome2rio.com
You can plug in anything from your neighbourhood to world travel and it will give pretty good indication of options

Other than that , let us know more detail? Pls?

Annie
I am so sorry for being unclear. I am coming from the US to Lisbon. I am walking the Ingles from Ferrol. I am not sure how to get to Santiago from Lisbon. The reason I am flying to Libon is so I can go to Fatima after my Camino

Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
Hi Linda
hoping u might get told 'the best option' from one of the locals or someone that has done this - but looking at Rome2rio.com I see that you could get from Lisbon to SDC by car,bus or train and get a look en route, or fly. But you don't actually need to visit SDC first.
you could fly direct to A Coruna from Lisbon too and you could get a quick bus from there to Ferrol to start your Ingles. Walk your Camino to SDC.
Hope this helps for a start and Buen Camino .
Annie

Hi Linda
hoping u might get told 'the best option' from one of the locals or someone that has done this - but looking at Rome2rio.com I see that you could get from Lisbon to SDC by car,bus or train and get a look en route, or fly. But you don't actually need to visit SDC first.
you could fly direct to A Coruna from Lisbon too and you could get a quick bus from there to Ferrol to start your Ingles. Walk your Camino to SDC.
Hope this helps for a start and Buen Camino .
Annie
Every day there is a direct bus from the ALSA company from Lisbon to Santiago.
There is a train connection too via Vigo in the north west of Spain
And a flight connection to A Coruña as been written by Annie from Oz.

From the Santiago busstation MONBUS takes you to Ferrol.

The connection to Fátima is not easy. From Lisbon there is a bus from REDEXPRES
The train is no option because the nearest station is about 20 kms away from Fátima.
An option is to hire a car and drive to Fátima. Parking is no problem there are huge parking lots.
Other option is to take the commuter train from Lisbon to Santarèm and take the bus from there to Fátima. Santarèm has a comfortable hostal, Santarèm hostal, wellknown by the pilgrims on the Portuguese caminho and to Fátima..it is in the towncenter close by the tourist information .The station is about 15 minutes walk from the center.

My wife and I walked from Ferrol to Santiago and on the same trip we visited among others Fátima but did that with our own car. a bit difficult for you :)
We walked the caminho Portugues twice ,once from Lisbon and met many pilgrims to Fátima who have the habit to walk the shortest way to the choose to walk aside busy roads on hardshoulders.

If you are in Fátima you are close by another famous world heritage place, Tomar.
There is the world famous convento the Cristo , a famous Templars convent and castle on the to of a hill Very beautifull.

I do not know how much time you have but also the city of Braga nearby Porto has another world heritage place, the famous bom Jesus do Monte church. Worthwhile to visit.

Coming May we want to walk from Lisbon to Fátima on the so called camino do Mar but after arriving in Fátima we directly take the bus to Santarèm. Fatima does not appeal to us. For us it was a bit disappointing but that is our personal opinion.

http://lisbon-portugal-guide.com/lisbon-transport/Lisbon-to-Fatima-Transport.html

Last edited:
I am so sorry for being unclear. I am coming from the US to Lisbon. I am walking the Ingles from Ferrol. I am not sure how to get to Santiago from Lisbon. The reason I am flying to Libon is so I can go to Fatima after my Camino
Why fly into Lisbon when it is only after your walk that you want to be in Portugal?

Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-
I saw in ALSA site that you can go directly to Fatima from Santiago.

I came from US east coast too. I did the Camino Ingles and after took ALSA bus from Santiago to Porto - stayed 1 day and next day to Lisbon. The reason I went to Lisbon before heading to Fatima is to meet my sister who is flying in from US. We rented a car since i wanted to see another town after Fatima. Since Fatima is between Santiago and Lisbon; take the bus to Fatima then to Lisbon. This will save you travel time.

Nazare is another nice town about an hour away from Fatima.

Buen Camino

Most read last week in this forum

So, I managed to lose my lovely Tilley hat. Left behind I think, in a shop in Cambre. Going back for it not an option as the place is closed today, Sunday. Am I destined to arrive in Santiago...
Beautiful walking weather on the Camino Ingles today

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back