• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Lisbonne to Santiago in october

Ghislaine

Time of past OR future Camino
Camino Francès(2006)
Le Puy/Conques(2009)
Del Norte(2012)
Portuguese(2018)
Bonjour à vous,

I am sure that some of you experienced the Portugeese road in october and my question is: "What was your experience with the weather"? I thank you in advance and wish you all, wheatever road you are up to, a excellent Camino.

Ghislaine, from Ottawa, Canada

Last edited:
Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-
Bonjour à vous,

I am sure that some of you experienced the Portugeese road in october and my question is: "What was your experience with the weather"? I thank you in advance and wish you all, wheatever road you are up to, a excellent Camino.

Ghislaine, from Ottawa, Canada

Hi, Ghislaine, welcome to the forum,

I have been in Portugal during three different Octobers -- one it rained all the time, one it never rained, and I can't remember the third, so my guess is that it was probably a mixture. Temperatures are likely to be warm or mild, but not cold.

And, are you planning to walk the coast from Lisbon? You have posted in that sub-forum, but it is a very untraveled route. There are actually two options, one follows the coast, one goes a little closer than the "main" Caminho. Good luck with the planning!

I should have mentionned that it will be Via lusitana. Still, I thank you for your answer. Mild is good enought. Weather is unpredictable and there is not much to do about it. I guess, just be prepared.

I never participated in Forum. I might have posted my question at the wrong place. In any case, thanks again.

A selection of Camino Jewellery
Last year it didn't rain until I hit Porto but then, it rained frequently but in small amounts in the Galicia valleys. I walked October and November.

Last year it didn't rain until I hit Porto but then, it rained frequently but in small amounts in the Galicia valleys. I walked October and November.
Thank you for your answer. I appreciate. After I wrote the question, I said to myself... what does it really change... it will be what it will be. I guess we're always a bit curious about the experience of others. Thanks again.

Would like to talk with you more about that experience. We walk this year from Lisbon from mid-October to November. We're concerned about finding accommodations that time of year.

€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.
Would like to talk with you more about that experience. We walk this year from Lisbon from mid-October to November. We're concerned about finding accommodations that time of year.
I too will probably walk from Lisbon in October, just waiting for the answer from my friend, but I am not concern about finding accomodations., CaminoMatt 73 could tell.

Last year the albergue in Alpriate stayed open through the end of October, so that is probably a pretty good indication of the typical pilgrim season from Lisbon. I know that the numbers have increased tremendously this year, so I don't know whether they will modify that date. Further north, the numbers are higher, so even though it will be later in the year when you get there, more will likely be open.

When I walked from Lisbon in 2008 there were no albergues but I had no trouble finding places to stay. Many of the towns have small "residenciales" (Pension equivalent) and they are not pilgrim-dependent, so they don't close for the season. Bom caminho, Laurie

As I recall, the first day I stayed at a fire hall for a donation and required assistance to find it but after that, it was pretty easy. I have a PDF guide book for the route and it helped.

Actually, I stayed at two fire halls. It was great though. The southern part of Portugal was tough. I like being alone but that was another level of loneliness. Coimbra and north got a little easier.

Portugal is not Spain. The Portuguese are nice but don't appear to truly recognize the Camino or Fatima.

Either way, have fun. It's walking

The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
I too will probably walk from Lisbon in October, just waiting for the answer from my friend, but I am not concern about finding accomodations., CaminoMatt 73 could tell.

After Norte route, I'll walk Portugal again. Probably start late October. My flight back to Ottawa isn't until November 16. I'll walk two Caminos for the third time in 14 months. (Addicted)

After Norte route, I'll walk Portugal again. Probably start late October. My flight back to Ottawa isn't until November 16. I'll walk two Caminos for the third time in 14 months. (Addicted)
There is worst addictions than that one!;) Camino del norte is a beautiful one also! Enjoy envery moment of it!

Maybe I should re-phrase that. I do know there are alternatives where to stay. Having done the Frances, I guess we are a little anxious about the support (or lack of it). Also whether we'll see any other pilgrims! When are you going?

€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.
Hi,
I left Lisbon on Oct.5th 2016. I walked all the way to Santiago finishing about Nov. 5th. The weather was fine most of the time-rain on 3 occasions and then only for a few hours each time. About 10 other pilgrims on the same level as I was. No problem finding accommodation, usually stayed in pilgrim Albergues when available which was most of the time. After Porto it was a bit busier but never any problem with accommodation and I only booked Porto and Santiago accommodation in advance. I found the walk really pleasant overall with ideal temperatures for walking. I brought a light sleeping bag which I used about half the time. Great sense of camaraderie among pilgrims on this Camino and no problem linking up with others to walk with if that is what you want. Seemed very safe to me as it is quite populated and not as remote as the Via de la Plata is. Very good pilgrim infrastructure by way of café-bars, shops etc on this Camino as well. Enjoy your walk!

Maybe I should re-phrase that. I do know there are alternatives where to stay. Having done the Frances, I guess we are a little anxious about the support (or lack of it). Also whether we'll see any other pilgrims! When are you going?
I am still not sure when. It could be around Oct. 2nd or the latest, Oct. 8. Nevertheless, I am positive that everything should be fine, with the support you need at the time you need it. You can read what Lavdrum just wrote me and I believe his words might help you to get rid of a bit of anxiety.

Hi,
I left Lisbon on Oct.5th 2016. I walked all the way to Santiago finishing about Nov. 5th. The weather was fine most of the time-rain on 3 occasions and then only for a few hours each time. About 10 other pilgrims on the same level as I was. No problem finding accommodation, usually stayed in pilgrim Albergues when available which was most of the time. After Porto it was a bit busier but never any problem with accommodation and I only booked Porto and Santiago accommodation in advance. I found the walk really pleasant overall with ideal temperatures for walking. I brought a light sleeping bag which I used about half the time. Great sense of camaraderie among pilgrims on this Camino and no problem linking up with others to walk with if that is what you want. Seemed very safe to me as it is quite populated and not as remote as the Via de la Plata is. Very good pilgrim infrastructure by way of café-bars, shops etc on this Camino as well. Enjoy your walk!

I thank you for your detailed answer. I really appreciate. It's always a bit reassuring, same if weather wise, there is not much we can do about it.
We take what life brings us and do the best out of it. Thanks again.

Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-
I finally got the news from the friend that I was to walk with in october and after his doctor's advice, he took the decision not to leave. He is 82. Long walks like that for him are things of the past. We both feel at peace with it.
My original plan, was for sept. 2018, VDLP and arriving in Santiago, we will be walking on Camino Portugues, which will be the plan I'll stick to with 3 other friends.
I was told that since June 2017, you experienced less alsphalt from Lisbon to Porto... is that the case or I was misled?
Thank you in advance.

Bonjour Gislaine, nice to see an Ottawa face on here. I don't have an answer to your Lisbon departure but my wife and I did Porto to Santiago in Feb 2015 and can provide info on that stretch. We would be glad to touch base with you and as per your activity log, we are also interested in doing the Rota, in early 2018.

André from Orléans.

Bonjour Gislaine, nice to see an Ottawa face on here. I don't have an answer to your Lisbon departure but my wife and I did Porto to Santiago in Feb 2015 and can provide info on that stretch. We would be glad to touch base with you and as per your activity log, we are also interested in doing the Rota, in early 2018.

André from Orléans.

What a pleasure, indeed! As I mentionned earlier, I will walk again next year with 3 friends, Via de la Plata and chemin du Portugal, which will be Sept. and Oct. 2018 and yes, the Rota seems quite interesting. So many interesting places to walk.

€60,-
What a pleasure, indeed! As I mentionned earlier, I will walk again next year with 3 friends, Via de la Plata and chemin du Portugal, which will be Sept. and Oct. 2018 and yes, the Rota seems quite interesting. So many interesting places to walk.

Are you familiar with the local Camino association called Du Québec a Compostelle? Their next meeting is on Sept 9th in Gatineau and the QC web site is www.duquebecacompostelle.org

Are you familiar with the local Camino association called Du Québec a Compostelle? Their next meeting is on Sept 9th in Gatineau and the QC web site is www.duquebecacompostelle.org
I am a member since 2005, know few people from the Association, went to many meetings and still do when possible. I get their emails when a new meeting is coming, etc...
Thank you again and I wish you all the best, wherever your next Camino brings you.

We are walking from Cascais (just west of Lisbon) to Porto on the coast in three weeks. Here are our daily goals; the hotels are samples for distance but we made no bookings. There are several choices of hotel in each town we marked but no albergues. Follow our progress in the blog when we arrive in Lisbon Sept 20.
https://canadianinvasion.wordpress.com/2017/08/26/our-way/

A selection of Camino Jewellery
We are walking from Cascais (just west of Lisbon) to Porto on the coast in three weeks. Here are our daily goals; the hotels are samples for distance but we made no bookings. There are several choices of hotel in each town we marked but no albergues. Follow our progress in the blog when we arrive in Lisbon Sept 20.
Well, there is worst invasion in the world;). I wish you all a great journey with that Camino and thanks for your blog.:)

Well, there is worst invasion in the world;). I wish you all a great journey with that Camino and thanks for your blog.:)
The title 'canadianinvasion' was from an old post of my motorcycle trip to Nova Scotia. I never changed the name but kept travel-blogging...

The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.
There are actually two options, one follows the coast, one goes a little closer than the "main" Caminho.

Hi Peregrina!
Just preparing the coastal road from Lisboa to Porto. We'll start on 28 th of september from Caldas da Rainha direction north.
Do you have some hints?
On the maps we see lots of streets and few paths... would be nice to feel some ground and not only tarmac ;-))

With greetings from the french mountains

Our Way is largely sand and sand-neighboring fields.
Using Google Street View with Earth instead of Map reveals plenty of fields with paths that are clearly trafficked by more than just the resident.
As our path moves inland to visit Obidos and then back to the beach there are three days on sidewalks mixed with farm paths.

Google will not let a user drag the walking path you're trying to create on to these non-public paths so my maps don't really reflect the true distances we're going to do, but by using the Earth feature you can see them.

We land in Lisbon a week from today. After a few days in town, we're taking a 30-minute commuter train ride west to Estoril. We'll disembark in Estoril and walk the Promenade to Cascais. We are going to the Lumina Festival in Cascais Friday night and then beginning our Caminho Saturday morning.
Bom Caminho!

Thanks David for this immediate response! We did the Porto > SdC in springtime with one foot on the beach and one in the water ;-))
So we'd like to do this again, although we'll have to stretch our left leg a bit, when it comes to the higher riffs ;-))
I found a nice GPX which follows quite close the coastline.
Anyway, we feel more encouraged now to walk this coast and not the inner camino.
We'll start end of sept. from Caldas, but we'll do shorter stages ( 20 km )
Would be fun to meet - who knows ;-))
With greetings from the french mountains
Mob Amo

Attachments

• lissabon-santiago-xs.gpx
    63.6 KB · Views: 4
Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-
Et voilà! After a no for one of my old friend by his doctor, for october 2017 and a change of plan from my other friend for september 2018, I was a bit dissapointed, but said to myself... I guess those plans were not meant to be and there is a reason for everything.:rolleyes:
Indeed, there was!;) I am really happy, as I will now finally start my walk in Cabo San Vincente to Santiago, on March 12 2018. I will land in Faro and meet 3 friends there and hit the road again. So much looking forward for all those new little things that the pleasure of walking day by day brings to me, like many of you, I believe.
Just felt like sharing, as I asked few questions on that site. Thanks again.

Most read last week in this forum

I would like to walk the river route in Tui next month. I can see on google maps exactly where it starts, but it seems a bit overgrown. Has anybody used this route this year or last year...
Hello, my friend of 50+ years and I are on our first Camino walk. We are looking for: 1) safe, comfortable hostels in Lisbon; 2) stages from Lisbon to Porto (via Tomar) in about 16 days...
Hi I have searched everywhere to see if there is a luggage service from Lisbon to Porto. I know there is from Porto to Santiago, but Lisbon ???. Thanks for any info.

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back