• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Lissbon to Santiago - How many days did it take you?

lettinggo

Hola
Just a quick question after trawling the forum for some answers.
It is the 'Central Route' I am looking for some answers for.

Also, if you have some positive experiences or thoughts connected with walking this route in the heat of summer (August), it will be most appreciated :)

Bom Caminho
Lettinggo

Last edited:
3rd Edition. More content, training & pack guides avoid common mistakes, bed bugs etc
Hola

Also, if you have some positive experiences or thoughts connected with walking this route in the heat of summer (August), it will be most appreciated :)

Bom Camihno
Lettinggo
32 days-restdays in Coimbra, Porto and Barcelos(to visit Braga)
Average distance per day 20 kms max.

You can skip Alverca da Ribatejo to Azambuja by taking the train to avoid walking aside the busy N3 road. Very dangerous walking! I know I was there the other day during my holidays and drove this road and met the pilgrims , passing them with a distance in between of about one meter.

Spoke to pilgrims in the Santarèm hostal who took the train from Lisbon to there and started from Santarèm .
If I should walk from Lisbon again, I should start in Santarèm . Very easy connection from the Santa Apalonia station in Lisbon center to there by commuter train. Fast and cheap.

Bom caminho

Last edited:
Thank you very much :)
I have read many of your posts and it is great for the forum that you have local eyes on the matter.
Previously I have walked CF, CN and Primitivo and I have been curious about CP.
32 days are to much and I will investigate some more on the coastal route out of Oporto as many say it is a great walk.
The information is a bit confusing or at least not so clear, as there seem to be many options how to walk costal to SdC.
I will probably do as on my other Caminos; just go and get there and figure it out. What can possible go wrong...
(Still no harm in doing a little research here :))

Lettinggo

New Original Camino Gear Designed Especially with The Modern Peregrino In Mind!
Thank you very much :)
I have read many of your posts and it is great for the forum that you have local eyes on the matter.
Previously I have walked CF, CN and Primitivo and I have been curious about CP.
32 days are to much and I will investigate some more on the coastal route out of Oporto as many say it is a great walk.
The information is a bit confusing or at least not so clear, as there seem to be many options how to walk costal to SdC.
I will probably do as on my other Caminos; just go and get there and figure it out. What can possible go wrong...
(Still no harm in doing a little research here :))

Lettinggo
The "confusion" on the coastal is before Vigo. The yellow waymarkers lead into the hills , the green waymarkers follow the coastline. We chose for the coastline
Starting in Porto just keep the river at your left and later on the ocean.
The original Coastal follows the coast up to Caminha, there it crosses the Minho river and continues to A Guarda, Oia/Mougas and Baiona to Vigo , just the ocean at your right
After Vigo you head for Redondela and hit the Central-not the Interior-that is another caminho at the easternside of Portugal far away from the central route !
Just follow the yellow waymarkers all the time and once you passed Baiona ,arriving in Nigrán make up your mind following the yellow or green ones. Both lead to Vigo.
Bom caminho

Last edited:
The "confusion" on the coastal is before Vigo. The yellow waymarkers lead into the hills , the green waymarkers follow the coastline. We chose for the coastline
Starting in Porto just keep the river at your left and later on the ocean.
The original Coastal follows the coast up to Caminha, there cross the Minho river and continue to A Guarda, Oia/Mougas and Baiona to Vigo just the ocean at your right
After Vigo you head for Redondela and hit the Central-not the Interior-that is another caminho at the easternside of Portugal far away from the central route !
Just follow the yellow waymarkers all the time and once you passed Baiona ,arriving in Nigrán make up your mind following the yellow or green ones. Both lead to Vigo.
Bom caminho
Excellent!
I will look this over on the map.
Once again. Thank you for your help.
I may return with follow up questions :)
lettinggo

Join our full-service guided tour and let us convert you into a Pampered Pilgrim!
Hola

Bom Caminho
Lettinggo
In April I walked this Caminho P. from Lisboa using 26 walking days. Two rest days, one in Tomar to visit the convento and the second one in Porto to get my feet into shape again after very large blisters and some days with wet feet. My bones are, like the rest of me, 74 years old and it was my first camino. The training for this camino was walking my dog for 5 or more km a day--so nothing special. After Porto my average was lower than in the first part, so it could easily be walked in less walking days, but I had a special wish for my arrival day in Santiago.
Bom Caminho!

You can skip Alverca da Ribatejo to Azambuja by taking the train to avoid walking aside the busy N3 road. Very dangerous walking! I know I was there the other day during my holidays and drove this road and met the pilgrims , passing them with a distance in between of about one meter.

Spoke to pilgrims in the Santarèm hostal who took the train from Lisbon to there and started from Santarèm .
If I should walk from Lisbon again, I should start in Santarèm . Very easy connection from the Santa Apalonia station in Lisbon center to there by commuter train. Fast and cheap.

Thank you so much Albertinho re: the Alverca da Ribatejo to Azambuja as I've been searching and searching as our safety on the road is paramount. That's exactly the information that I needed esp the easy connection from Santa Apalonia station in Lisbon by commuter train. You made my weekend!

A selection of Camino Jewellery
our safety on the road is paramount

If you are walking alongside a busy road, hold your walking stick horizontal in front of you. The drivers will see it and move aside so as not to get their cars scratched.

Thank you so much Albertinho re: the Alverca da Ribatejo to Azambuja as I've been searching and searching as our safety on the road is paramount. That's exactly the information that I needed esp the easy connection from Santa Apalonia station in Lisbon by commuter train. You made my weekend!
You could plan this part of the caminho to be walked on a Sunday. Hardly any traffic, at least for me. And walking all the way could be one of the principles of a peregrino.
Bom Caminho!

Lissbon to Santiago - How many days did it take you?

30 days, with rest days in Tomar and Porto. (Average of approx. 20 kms per day.)

Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-
If you are walking alongside a busy road, hold your walking stick horizontal in front of you. The drivers will see it and move aside so as not to get their cars scratched.
I did the same when I walked from Lisbon to Porto and also at some places in Galicia.
We even wore fluorescent safetyjackets.
But my experience as driver in Portugal was different .
Sometimes the roads are very small and when at the same time you see a peregrino and opposite comes an other car....
By the way nothing happened. I drove more than 2000 kilometers in Portugal the other day without any problems . Left my car and caravan at a campingsite in Vila Franca de Xira and took the train to Lisbon and Sintra.
Porto we avoided with a wide turn and stayed at the camping in Ponte de Lima.

Portuguese drivers are very impatient and intolerant to cars towing a (camping) trailer. They drive fast. They allways want to overtake you even on small roads and when trafficis coming from the opposite way. That's why Portugese roads are so dangerous and it is better to avoid walking at the hard shoulder of national roads like the pilgrims to Fatima do.
So if you walk alongside a small Portugese road pay attention at drivers coming towards you but also drivers coming from behind and are overtaking. .
Forunately Portugal is a big country and not so many inhabitants so specially the motorways are fairly quiet. But at rural roads you have to take care.
Specially the road from Alverca de Ribatejo to Azambuja, Santarèm to Golegâ and from São Pedro de Rates to Barcelos. All mentioned roads are waymarked for the camino.
By the way I have rubber tips at my walking poles they do not scratch the sides of cars :)
Bom caminho

You could plan this part of the caminho to be walked on a Sunday. Hardly any traffic, at least for me. And walking all the way could be one of the principles of a peregrino.
Bom Caminho!
hmmmm... Heavy traffic is allowed driving on sundays...You see many trucks on the roads, driving like mad , most international drivers.and cars with families going for their sunday family meal in restarants or to the beach. I prefered to drive with my car and caravan on sundays as I should have to pass big cities like Porto or Vigo but was astonished about how much traffic there was.
They even tried to merge in between the back of my car and my towed on camping trailer !:)

Everybody does his camino on its own way.
I worked as a hospitaleiro in an albergue in Portugal last May and saw pilgrims being delivered by taxi in front of the door.
Around Lisbon we travelled by train-we were no pilgrims this year but tourists- and saw pilgrims on the train from Lisbon to at least Vila Franca de Xira where we stayed at a camping site. Who am I to judge that walking is the principle of a peregrino all the way ?. It's everybodies own choice .
Bom caminho

Hola an
Lisboa - Santiago de Compostela 16 days
You can find my stages here: https://www.caminodesantiago.me/com...d-sleeping-places-on-caminho-portugues.35822/
I started August 1 and most of the time I had quite nice weather not to warm and some lovely rain one day. 2-3 days were really hot but I left early in the morning so it wasn't so bad. I don't have any problems with the heat either.
Hola and thank you.
It do inspire to hear that it can be completed with the speed you walked.
I still have some time before I decide so I will do some more research.

Can I ask what kind of footwear you used?
Shoes, sandals, boots?

Lettinggo

The 9th edition the Lightfoot Guide will let you complete the journey your way.
In April I walked this Caminho P. from Lisboa using 26 walking days. Two rest days, one in Tomar to visit the convento and the second one in Porto to get my feet into shape again after very large blisters and some days with wet feet. My bones are, like the rest of me, 74 years old and it was my first camino. The training for this camino was walking my dog for 5 or more km a day--so nothing special. After Porto my average was lower than in the first part, so it could easily be walked in less walking days, but I had a special wish for my arrival day in Santiago.
Bom Caminho!
Hola and thank you.
Nicely done :)
It sounds like you hade a great time taking it all in well and done.
Lettinggo

Hola an

Hola and thank you.
It do inspire to hear that it can be completed with the speed you walked.
I still have some time before I decide so I will do some more research.

Can I ask what kind of footwear you used?
Shoes, sandals, boots?

Lettinggo

I walk in sandals. Teva Tirra.

New Original Camino Gear Designed Especially with The Modern Peregrino In Mind!

Most read last week in this forum

Bom dia dear pilgrims, I plan on returning to Portugal this summer, after walking the Salvador + Primitivo. I have a few questions: - What is the easiest way to get from SdC to Coimbra? I assume...
My final question since I have asked sooo many. Grabbing a light lunch that I can get on the go, hoping to grab it, and find a square or a bench to enjoy it, then get back to walking. Not really...
Arriving in Valença around noon and I need to get to my hostel in Tui. I would like to conserve my energy and time, so can I take a taxi from Valença Bus station to take me to my hostel in Tui...
We are flying into Lisbon, then taking a train to Tomar for a couple nights, which looks pretty easy. What is less clear is the best way from Tomar to Porto. Have you done this? What do you...
Dear all, I have done Camino Frances, Norte and Primitivo and would like to ask about Portuges. I have some soul-searching to do and would love to walk a part of it, unfortunately only a part...
Hello everyone! My wife and I are doing our first Camino in Sept and I was very curious about the stretch from Tui to Pontevedra. We have been to Spain multiple times and love the small towns...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back