• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

List of accommodation option on Porto-Santiago Coastal Route

Katarina.B

Time of past OR future Camino
Camino Portuguese - planned for May 2017
Hello,

would anyone have a list of accommodation facilities on the Porto to Santiago coastal route? Do I need to book in advance? What if it's booked out where I arrive? Would anyone have a map of this route?
It's my first Camino trip ever, every piece of information is highly appreciated :)
Thank you very much for your help :)

Katarina

Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-
Hello,

would anyone have a list of accommodation facilities on the Porto to Santiago coastal route? Do I need to book in advance? What if it's booked out where I arrive? Would anyone have a map of this route?
It's my first Camino trip ever, every piece of information is highly appreciated :)
Thank you very much for your help :)

Katarina
Hi, Katarina,
This website is a wealth of information - virtually everything you're asking has been discussed in a lot of different threads and there are links to lists of accommodations and maps.
if you use the search function, (which is in the upper right of the screen on my computer at least) you'll find all sorts of suggestions.

Finally, as you'll realize as you explore the site, your booking question depends on when you're planning on walking. But the nice thing about the Caminho Portugues is that it's not the race for a bed that the Frances seems to be.
Bom caminho!
Kari

The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.
http://caminoguides.com/camino_portugues/index.html

I used John Brierley's guide initially for some route planning (before I left for Porto) and also it had some extremely helpful information about cheap private albergue's alongside the list of pilgrim hostels. I also had many locals approach me if some towns asking if I wanted to rent a private room.

Personally I slept out a lot of the time but also for the reason that from Tui a lot of people join the Camino and during the month I was there in July (high season) it got very busy with groups from schools and other organisations. That last section can be difficult to find a bed if you're on a tight budget, (15 Euros a day)!

You can also download the John Brierley maps from Amazon Kindle directly onto your phone, which I've done myself this year.

Look under the Camino Resources tab up top in the dark blue section, then under Camino Portugese. There's an excellent spreadsheet of "All The Places To Sleep" posted of almost every accommodation possibility on the Coastal / Senda Littoral route. (Thanks, Christian!)

Join our full-service guided tour of the Basque Country and let us pamper you!
Greetings Peregrinos!
I had hoped to walk the Portuguese Coastal next April/May but have problems with painful feet. So .... here are two questions:
1. Sand.
When walking the coastal, can I avoid walking on sand? Board-walks are fine, but not walking on sand, especially on wet sand.
2. Accommodation.
I can only walk about 12 kms a day. Is it possible to find accommodation [cheap hotels, or hostals] within those distances?
Many thanks for any comments and thoughts!
Blessings from England, y bom caminho!
Steve.

Hi Steve,
I walked the boardwalk from Porto to Vila do Conde. The boardwalk starts at the end of the seafront just past the large Lighthouse at the end of Leca da Palmeira seafront and you leave it just before entering Vila Do Conde. When I walked it in May there were a number of places where the sand had blown onto the walk and had not been cleared but they were few and far between.
Both Brierly and Wise Pilgrim list all the accom on the route and you should be able to plan a 12k day walk. You may find some stages are slightly longer though.
I walked to Rates after Vila Do Conde so cant comment on the rest of the coast route.
Its a stunning start to the CP, its like walking the Cornish coast but without the pasties!

Most read last week in this forum

Hi everyone, I went on a short coastal Camino Portugues in March with my 11 year old son and wanted to share some of my experiences here. We walked a very small part of the Camino. We started...
Hi fellow pilgrims! I have walked 1450km over several years on the Camino Frances alone, without planning much. This year is going to be very different! I have convinced my mom to come with me. I...
Hi, arrived in Porto today starting the coastal camino on Friday! I just found out the hostel I am staying at does not allow pack pick up. Im walking to vila cha 1st day and physically I cannot...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back