• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

List of albergues, and advice on VdlP in June

Pierre Julian

Time of past OR future Camino
Frances, Ingles, VdP, San Salvador, Aragonese & Northern. Sections of Portuguese & Mozarabic.
Hello, I'm wondering if there is a list of accommodation for the VdlP, like the pdf for the French camino? I'm starting on Wednesday the 15th of June, and don't have my guide book with me, so any advice would be helpful.

Also, I'd be going from Salamanca to Santiago, is that recommended at this time of the year?

Lastly, any ideas please about getting from Santiago to Salamancer? I fly into Santiago on Tuesday evening.

Many thanks

Last edited:
Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-
Also, I'd be going from Salamanca to Santiago, is that recommended at this time of the year?
Personally, it's too hot for me. Today's forecast 36°C

You can use Gronze or an app for albergues.

Hello, I'm wondering if there is a list of accommodation for the VdlP, like the pdf for the French camino? I'm starting on Wednesday the 5th of June, and don't have my guide book with me, so any advice would be helpful.

Lastly, any ideas please about getting from Santiago to Salamancer? I fly into Santiago on Tuesday evening.

Many thanks
I think Gerald Kelley 's guidebook may be online. Maybe @geraldkelly will respond?

The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.
Thanks. Any recommendations for a camino which is a bit cooler?

Though northern Spain is due for a heat wave this week, I persoally would start in the north — there’s the Lebañiego/Vadiniense, the Olvidado from Bilbao (which would be my first choice, and then in Ponferrada you could take the Invierno rather than the Francés), the Viejo from Pampona, or one of the northern Portuguese routes, such as the Caminho Portugues Interior from Viseu or the Geira from Braga. All of these routes have good information here on the forum, from members who have walked recently. I don’t see Primitivo on your list either, which would be another good choice, IMHO.

Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-
Hello, I'm wondering if there is a list of accommodation for the VdlP, like the pdf for the French camino? I'm starting on Wednesday the 5th of June, and don't have my guide book with me, so any advice would be helpful.

Many thanks
Hi Pierre

The latest info on open albergues on the Via / Camino Sanabres is here:

viadelaplataguide.net/pages/updates

I keep this up-to-date as people send me information.

You can also download the guide in PDF format from there.

Regarding the weather, if you're starting in Salamanca the weather conditions will be similar to the Camino Frances. So, yes it's hot at the moment but not like down around Seville.

Best wishes and Buen Camino!
Gerald

ps. I presume your starting date is a typo.

€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.
Hi Pierre

The latest info on open albergues on the Via / Camino Sanabres is here:

viadelaplataguide.net/pages/updates

I keep this up-to-date as people send me information.

You can also download the guide in PDF format from there.

Regarding the weather, if you're starting in Salamanca the weather conditions will be similar to the Camino Frances. So, yes it's hot at the moment but not like down around Seville.

Best wishes and Buen Camino!
Gerald

ps. I presume your starting date is a typo.
Many thanks Gerald, yes, it is a typo, it is meant to be 15th June! That's really helpful information. Best wishes

Though northern Spain is due for a heat wave this week, I persoally would start in the north — there’s the Lebañiego/Vadiniense, the Olvidado from Bilbao (which would be my first choice, and then in Ponferrada you could take the Invierno rather than the Francés), the Viejo from Pampona, or one of the northern Portuguese routes, such as the Caminho Portugues Interior from Viseu or the Geira from Braga. All of these routes have good information here on the forum, from members who have walked recently. I don’t see Primitivo on your list either, which would be another good choice, IMHO.
Thanks very much Peregrina, so helpful. I'm torn between returning to the Via or heading accross to one of the northern. I always make up my mind last minute! May I ask you please, why is the Olvidado your first choice? Would there be enough albergues open at the moment? Do you like the Lebañiego? It sounds lovely also. Thanks

Thanks very much, I had completely forgotten about that wonderful website which I've used in the past. Are the albergues listed there open now, or is this pre-covid, many thanks.
To the best of my knowledge all of the ones listed are open. If you are looking at a city page on the website you will see accommodation listed by type, and one of those is CLOSED… I did this to emphasize that the albergue existed but is currently closed. But the full list only contains open properties.

The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
why is the Olvidado your first choice? Would there be enough albergues open at the moment?
The Olvidado, especially the part from Aguilar de Campoó onward, has the most beautiful mountain stages I’ve ever walked. It is not a camino that is fully equipped with albergues, but there are more than a few, and there were always pensiones or small hotels available. And the albergues that are there are all open, I believe. Ender’s guide has a list of albergue and non-albergue lodging. There was a pilgrim several weeks ago who ran into a very weird situation with no lodging available for a stretch of about 90 km, and I never heard what the cause was. But I think that @QuailHiker and @kcaldaba (who walked from Boñar to Ponferrada) found places to stay without too much hassle. You should check out their live thread.

Most read last week in this forum

Hello, First time posting but as Google hasn't been helpful I was hoping others here might be able to help with an odd query. I am considering the Via de la Plata from Seville via Sanabres as my...
I am posting daily blog style updates on Facebook that anyone can see and follow: https://www.facebook.com/media/set/?set=a.8095032397178476&type=3 There are also video format stories visible on...
Hey folks. I started the Mozarabe from Almeria and took time out in Salamanca to do a 3 week Spanish course in USAL. The course was fine. 4 hours a day. For the first week we had an excellent...
Y’all, one week from today I get on the plane to fly to Sevilla. Growing anxiety. I will start El Camino on April 6. I hope to report progress here and continue to look for advice. How does...
Does anybody have any good ideas about secure carparking whilst doing the Vía de la Plata from Sevilla to Merida please?

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back