• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

list of albergues and height(maps)

samiam

Hi again,
After my last topic in which I asked if I needed a guidebook I got various comments. So I decided not to buy a guidebook but get the information on this forum about albergues and routes together and make it in to one document.

I'll be walking the camino del norte until Oviedo and then walk the primitivo way. I made two documents one with a list of all albergues I could find from links and other topics on this forum. And a document with all of the height and road maps together from mundicamento.com along with some 'road tips' from this forum.

This is the list of albergues and other places to sleep:
The document with the maps and 'road tips' is 2.5 mb so to big to upload to this site so I'll put the 'road tips below and you can pm me if you would like to have the file with the maps.

Road Tips

we took the Coastal route, the E-9, instead of the Camino. Our general rule of thumb was to take the E-9 whenever it was a possibility. It always comes back to the camino, and it is always on the coast and beautiful.

After Irun you can choose between the camino or the alpinista route, take alpinista. Nicer.

Castro Uriales- 9km before castro urdiales there is a way to devoid walking on asphalt. German guide very usefull.

Galizano- take the way over the beach, very nice.

In Somo we had to look for the beach - follow the beach, and the boardwalk... find the boat that would take us to Santander. 21 kilometres had been cut of our walk for tomorrow... 1 Euro.... and 20 min. later by boat...we ended up in Santander.

From the albergue in Santander:
By the way, make sure to ask the hospitalero in Santander to explain the two shortcuts (atajos) you have to take the first day, to save quite a few kilometres and be able to sleep that night in Polanco-Requejada for an easy day to start with.

Santillana del Mar is one of the most beautiful towns on the Northern route but nearly impossible to find your way out of town. The Camino out of town goes up the hill from the main plaze passing the Posada de Organista on the right and later the camp ground on your left. There is not an albergue here but there is a camp area and several inexpensive pensions.

After Comillas, take the road that goes by Playa Oyabre and not the Camino. Kick off those boots and walk 6 kilometers in the sand and surf until you reach San Vicente de la Barquera.

(Near Unquera, take the bus into the Potes and the Picos de Europa to visit the Liebena Monastery. In fact, you will be following signs through Cantabria until you reach Serdio, just beyond San Vicente, that lead you to this other pilgrimage site where the largest piece of the true cross is kept. Do yourself a favor and visit the Picos de Europa. This is the most spectacular place in Spain.)

El Peral to Llanes (20 km). Beautiful walk (we took the Coastal route, the E-9, instead of the Camino. Our general rule of thumb was to take the E-9 whenever it was a possibility. It always comes back to the camino, and it is always on the coast and beautiful.

Between Colombres and Llanes, a lot of the camino is on a very busy and unpleasant road. Two other peregrinos took the coastal path (sendero costa E9) just at the end of Pendueles, and found it really pleasant, but with a demanding climb and descent before Llanes. If you miss the sign for the sendero costa, you will know you have gone too far if you go as far as a bridge with yellow arrows on the barriers at both sides of it. The small wooden sign for the E9 is on the right about 80 meters before that bridge (over a railway I think). You could avoid about 9 km (feels like 20) of very unpleasant road walking in this way.

From Ribadasella, follow the beach out of town, not the road. Follow the hill up to the light house to reach Playa la Vega. There is a cheap pension on the beach called the Superman Bar. Seedy looking but great seafood and cold beer.

I hope this is useful for some other pilgrims as well. If anyone has more additions to the albergue list or the 'road tips' please let me know. I'll be leaving on saturday 11th of july and will be walking from irun from the 15 th. If I've got additions(and internet) along the way I'll also post.

ps. I do not have the sources of the information. I just hope I am not breaking any copyright rules :). Thanks to all sources on this forum.

Sam

Attachments

• Albergues information.doc
    160.5 KB · Views: 8,888
Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-
Hi samiam,
It certainly looks like you have put some work in - a very comprehensive list of Albergues. You need to remember that different people have different views on what is good / acceptable / awful!
I enjoyed Arco de Iris at Camplengo, eating with the family and ants in the breakfast jam! I was expecting things to be 'rural'.
I arrived in Salas in the rain, took one look at the cramped and sweaty room and took myself off to a pension. If you are a good walker, go the extra few kilometers to Bodenaya - you won't be disappointed.
Tineo is good and Grandas is grotty, again my take on things. As everyone says "its your Camino". Do your own thing and follow your instinct. you will enjoy the 'Primitivo'.

Buen Camino
Tio Tel

A selection of Camino Jewellery
There is an albergue in Santiallana del Mar. It is behind the museum across from the cathedral. Go through the museum grounds and there is a gate in the back, go through the gate and the albergue is to the left.

Very appreciated Sam.
Thanks for the effort and once we have finished Le Puy to ST. J in 2010
we are off to Irun
Did Francis in 08 and Portuguese this year.
Keep well and again thanksl,
David

Last edited:
The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
Sam that was fantastic work. Congratulations!
It is going to be VERY useful....
I have been wondering about the opening months for Alberges during the winter months- so you hit the spot!
I walked the camino frances a few years ago and now Im heading to bike from Rome to Santiago via del Norte. I heard it's very beautiful and also rather historical but have a coule of concerns...
do you think a cyclist could easily follow the walker's route?
have you heard much about the weather conditions during march?

thanks for any other advice you may like to share!

kiwi.

samiam said:
Thanks for all your reactions. One of you mentioned using a link with the download. So I uploaded the file to a site and here is the link.
http://www.mediafire.com/?sharekey=1b05 ... f6e8ebb871
If it doesnt work or you have any questions just pm me.
I wish you all good luck and again thanks, Bodenaya really was worth the 8 km more(even more that that)
Hi samiam, could you tell me the distance between each stage of the camino del norte

Thanks

joan
jbyrne07@gmail.com

Hi Joan

Distances between my stopping places on the Norte:-

Santander to Boo 16k
To Santillana 28k
To Cobreces 20.5k
To San Vicente 24.5k
To Colombres 19k
To Llanes 22.5k
To Nueva 17.5k
To La Isla 32.5k (a long day but easy walking)
To Villaviciosa 22.5k
To Pola de Siero 28.5k
To Oviedo 17.5k

I then followed the Primitivo to Lugo and on to Melide to join up with the Frances. If you want the distances between my stops on the Primitivo, just ask!
Buen Camino
Tio Tel

€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.
Hi Samiam

Found auberge list very useful thankls.

I am 64 and plan to wallk Irun to Santander starting mid June 2010

I find it difficult to plan stages as I cant work out how much is on asfalt and easy paths and how much is not a good path. I have all the height details I need. I will not always stay in auberges so would like to book certain nights ahead.

How do I find details of the E9 and also details of the alpinista from Irun? I have a good Spanish guide and also looked at web sites but do not find it easy to understand where I can get info explaining options or are there just signs??

Will walking on my own be a problems? On the Camino Frances there was always someone behing you in case of accidents!!

Hope you can help
Christine

Hi,

I'm deciding between the Frances and the Norte to do in june/july before st James day. I'm attracted to the Norte because I think it would be amazing to walk along the entire northern coastline of spain and then end up in Santiago.

I'm wondering, how much of the Norte is actually on the coast?

And although I hate to ask this question, to you hikers who have done both of these caminos: which one offers a better view and a better taste of Spain?

There are a couple of excellent brochures that you can pick up along the Cantabrian routes. One is called Jubilar Ways in Cantabria. It has good maps and information on lodging. If you'd like to order it ahead of time the phone number is (+34) 902-999-222 and you can get it from the Gobierno de Cantabria. The Cantabria Tourist Office is (+34) 901-111-112

Here are a few websites listed in the brochure. I have NOT checked them to see if they are up:

http://www.cantabriajubilar.com
http://www.jubileolebaniego.com
http://www.cantabria2007.com
http://www.caminodelnorte.org
http://www.caminosantiago.org
http://www.caminonorte.org
http://www.centrodeestudioslebaniegos.info
http://www.turismodecantabria.com
-----

I found another brochure called Red de Albergues de Peregrinos Cantabria put out by the tourist office of Cantabria. It is a most EXCELLENT5-fold brochure you can pick up along the way that shows the stages, lodging, and a wonderful HEIGHT map from El Haya (before Santander) to Colombres.

It also shows Alternative routes, the Camino Lebaniego, and gives phone numbers for the albergues. If anyone wants it, you can PM me and I'll try to scan it and email it to you. I'm leaving tomorrow for CA and won't return until June 15, however, so do it today or not until June 15. You can also order this yourself and the telephone number is 902-999-222 We did not use a guidebook but used THIS and the other brochure and found our way fine!

The information you uploaded comes from http://www.mundicamino.com which is a most excellent website that I also used.

Also, I have a list of places and information. I am sure I got it on this forum, but can't find it now. It's about 6 pages of typewritten notes... does anyone know where it came from? Maybe Sil or Lillian or Johnny Walker or Falcon? Anyway, we'll find it and here are a few of my own notes to add to it:

Bilbao: Stayed in youth hostel E14 for first night, E19 for a private room 2nd night. Clean and convenient. UP UP UP on a hill within walking distance to bus station. Went to Guggenheim. Decided to just see outside since exhibit was Frank Lloyd Wright and we've seen it. Walked to Museu de Bella Artes and saw exhibit on Young Murillo. Excellent! It was FREE today!

Guriezo: The market here is closed in the afternoons until 5 pm.

Laredo: The albergue El Buen Pastor was VERY nice!(13 Eu) Clean with real beds and real sheets and blankets. There was a TV room and it was worth the 3 Euro extra! It was much nicer than the Parochial (10 Eu), which had chinchas when we passed through (although the little nun was sweet and refunded our money). The Parochial was clean, spartan, but had bugs, so just check the beds before you stay there. They had a nice bathroom/shower with hot water! We found the chinchas hiding behind the picture of Jesus over the bed!!! ::laughing::: I didn't know chinchas read the Bible but we laughed and said they were "taking refuge in God."

Noja: The walk was beautiful and mostly along the beach. The albergue was CLOSED!!! Spend 30 Euro on a room. There is a nice bar on the beach at Noja where you can get food and drink. Just follow the crowds. The town is small but there are many places to eat.

GUEMES: On the way into Guemes there is a FANTASTIC bar just off the trail, after you cross a highway coming into Guemes. They have the BEST hamburger and fries in Spain, and I was ready for one!

The Guemes albergue is a sweet, sweet place, run by Ernesto, who told us was "born there, lives there, and will die there" and his sister. It was Donativo and we left a hefty donation because this place was special! It was well worth the climb. Note that you find the albergue a few kilometers AFTER passing through the small town. There will be a sign pointing the way up a steep lane. They fed us lunch, dinner, and breakfast, family style around their own big table, AND we had a private cabin to sleep in! In the busy season they have dorms. What an awesome place!

SANTANDER: We began walking to Santander but the rain was so severe, we stopped at a bus stop and caught the next bus for Eu 3

The albergue here was Eu 6

That's it.

€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.
Hello Alipilgrim

Just a comment about doing the Del Norte. I don't think you need have any concern about travelling this way. I walked it from Bayonne in 2009 and never had anytrouble finding my way. There were also a lot of albergues, although there were a several times when I deliberately chose a cheap hotel, just for a break - especially in the big cities. I was travelling alone, and I never got lost. I found the signs plentiful and easy to follow, - except for a couple of occasions on the Camino Primitivo where I went on a scenic detour. This wasn't because the signs were missing - my inattention meant that I didn't see them until I realised I hadn't seen any for a while!. A backtrack and there they were in the obvious places!

This really is a lovely way, although very different from the CF. cheers, Janet

Loads of helpfull info there - thanks a million to all of you. well I need to read through it all and check those websites....But a question I might venture for the moment. Looks like I will be walking from Santander to Oviedo. are there stops where one could stay between those stages listed by Terry B? I am used to hiking ... but my bag turns into a tonne weight no matter how little I carry and then theres the heat..... used to cooler climates I am... yeah I know - get up at the crack of dawn to escape the heat .... but I can be a bit lax about that... I will be on holidays after all...

Hi Samiam, I am planning to walk the Del Norte and Primitivo Jun and Jul 2011. What is the weather like, pray tell me the holiday makers are not there in Jun and Jul. Any info will be greatly appreciated. I am geographically impaired. I walked the CF in June 2009 it was a breeze, no problems, but I feel I will be chanllenged on the Del Norte and Primitivo. Thanking you in anticipation. Joy

Join our full-service guided tour and let us convert you into a Pampered Pilgrim!
El Peral to Llanes (20 km). Beautiful walk (we took the Coastal route, the E-9, instead of the Camino. Our general rule of thumb was to take the E-9 whenever it was a possibility. It always comes back to the camino, and it is always on the coast and beautiful.

Between Colombres and Llanes, a lot of the camino is on a very busy and unpleasant road. Two other peregrinos took the coastal path (sendero costa E9) just at the end of Pendueles, and found it really pleasant, but with a demanding climb and descent before Llanes. If you miss the sign for the sendero costa, you will know you have gone too far if you go as far as a bridge with yellow arrows on the barriers at both sides of it. The small wooden sign for the E9 is on the right about 80 meters before that bridge (over a railway I think). You could avoid about 9 km (feels like 20) of very unpleasant road walking in this way.

From Ribadasella, follow the beach out of town, not the road. Follow the hill up to the light house to reach Playa la Vega. There is a cheap pension on the beach called the Superman Bar. Seedy looking but great seafood and cold beer.

Hi Joy,
I walked the Norte to Oviedo and then the Primitivo through Lugo to Santiago in May 2009. I note that you say you are 'geographically impaired'! The walk suggested above to Llanes is well marked once you find it. However from Ribadasella to La Vega is far more difficult. Much easier from Ribadasella onwards to follow the shells and arrows. Valerie and I were there this May and walked round by the light-house. It is a very steep climb up from the beach and there are no waymarkings up to the light-house and beyond. The road walking on the waymarked Camino leads over the bridge and then on the pavement out of town. It is all relatively flat! Your choice.

Leaving Oviedo can be somewhat difficult and it is easy to lose your bearings. The best advice can be found here:-
camino-primitivo/topic6373.html
You have plenty of time to ask questions and there are many on this Forum who will help when possible.
Blessings on your preparation
Tio Tel

samiam wrote:Thanks for all your reactions. One of you mentioned using a link with the download. So I uploaded the file to a site and here is the link.
http://www.mediafire.com/?sharekey=1b05 ... f6e8ebb871
If it doesnt work or you have any questions just pm me.
I wish you all good luck and again thanks, Bodenaya really was worth the 8 km more(even more that that)

Hello again Joy,
Samian has already put up a link to his maps as above. If you cannot make it work, let me know and I will send them as a PM.

Blessings
Tio Tel

Join our full-service guided tour and let us convert you into a Pampered Pilgrim!
Greetings Fellow Pilgrims,

I have been away for 2 weeks, upon returning home all you wonderful people have been sending me info that will guide me on the Camino Del Norte next June and July (2011), thank you all from the bottom of my heart. Once I have sorted the surface of my life out after being away I can leisurely read and collate all your info. Thank you all once again, Ivar for running such an amazing site, Tio, Samian and all you great people sharing your info. GOD BLESS EACH STEP YOU TAKE, Joy

Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-
He mirado solo la zona que más conozco, que es la que pasa cerca de donde yo vivo, y fíjate que diferencias. En rojo he puesto por donde va el camino más o menos para que compares. Es un tramo de la etapa Avilés-Soto de Luiña.

No sé quien ha hecho eso, pero no siguen el camino, sino que parece que va casi siempre por la Carretera Nacional.

dibujobag.jpg

I've looked at only the area I know best, which is passing close to where I live, and notice that difference. I put in red where El Camino goes more or less to compare. It is a stretch of the stage Aviles-Soto de Luiña.

I do not know who has done that, but do not follow the path, but it looks like it will almost always by the National Highway.

When i walked this stage it went roughly the way of of Angulero's red line, however on the wall of the albergue in Aviles was a painted map of the etapa from there to Soto de Luina. It had it down has 32km and seemed to roughly match what is given on this website, but no one seemed to know anything about it even the hospitalero, and i never saw any signs for it.

Mike

Esta etapa la marcaron de nuevo hace unos quince días, hablo de lo que puse en rojo, así que no creo que haya problemas. De hecho, cada vez menos gente baja por la carretera hasta Soto del Barco, sino que suben desde El Castillo.

This stage the marked again a fortnight ago, talk about what I put in red, so do not think there are problems. In fact, fewer people down the road to Soto del Barco, but up from El Castillo.

Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-
Hello, everyone. We've been busy with other things for a while, so away from the forum, but are hatching a plan to walk the final 500 km of our camino from home in England (begun in 2007) this April. We will be starting from San Vicente. Is there any new info on albergues -especially which will be open in April. Might some open for Holy Week?

We will miss out Oviedo, leaving that and the primativo for another time.

Any thoughts, advice and encouragement would be welcomed, please!

Hi Bridget and Peter

There is a good list of albergues on http://caminodesantiago.consumer.es/los-caminos-de-santiago/del-norte/

I would be cautious about staying over at the albergue in San Vicente, I stayed there in the summer - and whilst it was a good place to stay - I was bitten badly by fleas (probably courtesy of the resident cat !) - It might even be worth staying the albergue Comillas. At Colombres, there is now provision made in the sports centre (polideportivo) next to the swimming pool. The private aulbergue is not reliable - although it may be worth a try.

There are a couple of private albergues in Llanes (one just off the camino - before you enter the town) there is also a private albergue by the train station - but this is unreliable. There is an excellent tourist office in Llanes - they will help and advise.

At Ribadesella - I can recommend the youth hostel - although it would be worth phoning and booking before you arrive (€13). The refuge at La Isla - and Angelita ! - is not to be missed !
There is now an albergue as you enter the suburbs of Gijon (in the campsite complex)- this is well signed ( I don't know what its like though). The aulbergues at Avilles, Sotto de Luina (cold)and Cadavedo are all what you would expect - clean and comfortable. (the aulbergue at Gontan is fab !) You will find that the aulbrgues are open in April (even Holy week)

It's all pretty much as listed in the CSJ guide - there will be an updated guide for the this part of the route available in late March.

It is also worth checking the website above for information.

This is a lovely camino - with some marvelous scenery etc...

Best wishes

Thanks to all Forum members for the generous lists of resources. I go from Irun to Santiago following the Coastal Route on 19th April. I have drilled down info on the Alberques and find that Pobena, Portugalete are not open until May. I am sure this is the case for many places. I await the CSJ guides in the post, ordered over a week ago in order to see have they good information. I have the eusakadi tourist pdf , it is brilliant. I walk alone and hope that the camino will provide as it did last year on the CF. I will keep notes and write updates on my return. Meanwhile back to the read, read, read.
Una

Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-
Northern Way

Santander - Gijon

Hi
I am flying into Santander in July, if I do the northern route with my daughter aged 14, we have two weeks, I need to ask if this is a physical route for a teenager who likes catching the rays and gentle walks (unlike her mum). Alberques, markings, distances, what can i expect?

I've done the Primitive Way and some of the stages of the Frnech route - this would be more on my daughters tempo, her holiday.

Hello Everyone,
I walked part of the Norte with my wife in May but unfortunately only had 2 weeks and as I was not alone this time we mixed albergues and hotels. For those worried about accomodation there are some good value alternatives to Albergues.

For example : . Bar Castiellu in Pendueles (between Serdio and Llanes) - double room 25 Euros washing included ,3 course dinner with wine 7 Euros . but only 3 doubles max.

Bed and Breakfast in Nueva (between Llanes and Ribadesella) - advertised on the trail. 25 Euros for a double with breakfast.

Gijon - Pension Argentina on the 3rd floor , 1 block from the beach, 300m from Plaza Mayor. Double room 20 Euros was ok ,seperate bathroom(not very clean)

Hotel Alvaro ,El Pito just before Cudillero : double room 30 Euros with make your own toast and coffee breakfast. but not at this price in July and August. - super restaurant 500 m towards Cudillero down a lane on the left. (lunch menu 8 Euros - 3 courses with wine ,beautiful fish)

I was not impressed with the guide books I saw, including the German Outdoor Küstenweg.I printed the google maps from the forum and had no problem. There are so many alternative ways its easier to see which you want to take on a map rather than on a sketch, and the official way often does its best to bypass villages ,cafes and bars and forces you to take the 3km longer scenic route
when you just want to get there through the pouring rain. You cant compare it with the Frances, its much more up and down , more road ,more mud and less bars and restaurants.

We jumped with the bus so that we could fit as much in as possible : For example ,I wanted to be in Castro Urdales the first night but did not arrive in Bilbao until 11:30, this was possible by taking the local bus from Bilbao to Muskiz and then walking down to Pobena to pick up the Camino.

We took the train from Santander to Requejada to miss the infamous bridge,the industry and get to Santillana del Mar from Guermes in one day.

We also took the bus from Gijon to Aviles which has a lot of industry and after Aviles the way is very beautiful. Do not miss Cudillero - a very picturesque fishing village, I met a few pilgrims who had walked straight past because it is not directly on the trail.
Also expect disruptions because of the new motorway being built for example before Llanes and between Cudillero and Somo.
On to Santiago next year , Buen Camino.

Walking on the highway (short cut) into Castro Erdialis this morning I came across a B&B just before town on the right. Their sign is right out on the highway. The place is a well run spa and small hotel. The good news is they provide a large shared room with ten comfortable beds and shared baths for 18 euros. For your 18 euros you can swim in the indoor pool. Spa services, like sauna and hot tub and massage, are extra of course. I skipped them since I´m on a fairly tight budget (aren´t we all?). Towels, soap and shampoo are provided with the cost of the room.

This is especially good news in the high season. Today (Aug 23), there were more than 24 of us leaving the Pobena alburgue (very well run place) and if we all walked to Castro their would be a problem since the municipal albergue only has 16 beds. That´s why I looked into this B&B with a private alburgue.

Buen CAmino,
Giles

Hi,

Could you help with the accommodation in Villaviciosa or around, seems there is no albergue there.

Thank you,
Katya

wildkat said:
Hi,

Could you help with the accommodation in Villaviciosa or around, seems there is no albergue there.

Thank you,
Katya

Katya,

There may not be an albergue in Villaviciosa but the Mundicamino web site for the Camino del Norte does list several hospedajes or tourist lodgings see >> http://www.mundicamino.com/ruta.cfm?p=H ... Hospedajes. There is an albergue at Sebrayo which is 6 k before Villaviciosa see > http://www.mundicamino.com/FichaMunicip ... =Albergues and >> http://caminodesantiago.consumer.es./al ... nformacion.

Buen Camino,

Margaret Meredith

St James' Way - Self-guided 4-7 day Walking Packages, Reading to Southampton, 110 kms
Thank you, Margaret!
I had a great overnight in monastery in Valdedios! And then got Oviedo!
Thank you for your help!

Hi samiam,
It certainly looks like you have put some work in - a very comprehensive list of Albergues. You need to remember that different people have different views on what is good / acceptable / awful!
I enjoyed Arco de Iris at Camplengo, eating with the family and ants in the breakfast jam! I was expecting things to be 'rural'.
I arrived in Salas in the rain, took one look at the cramped and sweaty room and took myself off to a pension. If you are a good walker, go the extra few kilometers to Bodenaya - you won't be disappointed.
Tineo is good and Grandas is grotty, again my take on things. As everyone says "its your Camino". Do your own thing and follow your instinct. you will enjoy the 'Primitivo'.

Buen Camino
Tio Tel

Bodenaya a feast...an evening not to forget!

Thank you Samiam. I have been interested in the Norte for a while but was concerned about 'directions' and accommodations. Your efforts are greatly apprecia
Hi again,
After my last topic in which I asked if I needed a guidebook I got various comments. So I decided not to buy a guidebook but get the information on this forum about albergues and routes together and make it in to one document.

I'll be walking the camino del norte until Oviedo and then walk the primitivo way. I made two documents one with a list of all albergues I could find from links and other topics on this forum. And a document with all of the height and road maps together from mundicamento.com along with some 'road tips' from this forum.

The document with the maps and 'road tips' is 2.5 mb so to big to upload to this site so I'll put the 'road tips below and you can pm me if you would like to have the file with the maps.

Road Tips

we took the Coastal route, the E-9, instead of the Camino. Our general rule of thumb was to take the E-9 whenever it was a possibility. It always comes back to the camino, and it is always on the coast and beautiful.

After Irun you can choose between the camino or the alpinista route, take alpinista. Nicer.

Castro Uriales- 9km before castro urdiales there is a way to devoid walking on asphalt. German guide very usefull.

In Somo we had to look for the beach - follow the beach, and the boardwalk... find the boat that would take us to Santander. 21 kilometres had been cut of our walk for tomorrow... 1 Euro.... and 20 min. later by boat...we ended up in Santander.

By the way, make sure to ask the hospitalero in Santander to explain the two shortcuts (atajos) you have to take the first day, to save quite a few kilometres and be able to sleep that night in Polanco-Requejada for an easy day to start with.

Santillana del Mar is one of the most beautiful towns on the Northern route but nearly impossible to find your way out of town. The Camino out of town goes up the hill from the main plaze passing the Posada de Organista on the right and later the camp ground on your left. There is not an albergue here but there is a camp area and several inexpensive pensions.

After Comillas, take the road that goes by Playa Oyabre and not the Camino. Kick off those boots and walk 6 kilometers in the sand and surf until you reach San Vicente de la Barquera.

(Near Unquera, take the bus into the Potes and the Picos de Europa to visit the Liebena Monastery. In fact, you will be following signs through Cantabria until you reach Serdio, just beyond San Vicente, that lead you to this other pilgrimage site where the largest piece of the true cross is kept. Do yourself a favor and visit the Picos de Europa. This is the most spectacular place in Spain.)

I hope this is useful for some other pilgrims as well. If anyone has more additions to the albergue list or the 'road tips' please let me know. I'll be leaving on saturday 11th of july and will be walking from irun from the 15 th. If I've got additions(and internet) along the way I'll also post.

ps. I do not have the sources of the information. I just hope I am not breaking any copyright rules :). Thanks to all sources on this forum.

Sam

Please note that the quotes in the last post above are way out of date! Some bad albergues have been replaced.
However Bodenaya does seem to go from strength to strength.

Blessings on Ivar for all his work!

Tio Tel

New Original Camino Gear Designed Especially with The Modern Peregrino In Mind!
Looks great! Did you say you were going to to do the same thing for the Primitivo? We start from Oveido on Sept 9th and would love to see what you have/know/etc...

Thanks so much

A good site to check out is Gronze, it is the most accurate IMHO. Eroski has some major inaccuracies - re elevations etc - and is not clear on the final stretch to Melide. There is a confusing map with Palas de Rei marked instead.
Buen Camino

Hi again,

Road Tips

Sam

Sam:

I will be walking the Norte on April 1st of 2014. If still possible, I would appreciate any information you have that you are willing to send me.

My email is jpflavin@msn.com

Best regards,
Joe

Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-
Sam:

I will be walking the Norte on April 1st of 2014. If still possible, I would appreciate any information you have that you are willing to send me.

My email is jpflavin@msn.com

Best regards,
Joe
Hello Joe,

Do you have any updates to the el norte albergue list? I begin in two weeks. Buen camino.

Hello Joe,

Do you have any updates to the el norte albergue list? I begin in two weeks. Buen camino.

The information is under a thread started by Shefollowsshells called "Notes from my Norte". If you have additional questions, I will help any way I can.

Joe

Hi again,

Road Tips

Sam

Hi,
I'll walk the camino del Norte in april 2015 using your list of albergues, if I find some new information I will sendit to you so the list improves.
Thanks for this list
Albert

Hi again,

Road Tips

Sam
Hi Sam,
Fantastic information. I completed the Camino Frances in November this year. In May this year I have a 10 day window to walk parts of Camino del Norte. I arrive in Paris. Thought about commencing in Santander. What are your thoughts. Regards Greg

In Ribadesella tonight staying in a hotel as after trundling across the entire town I found out the name and address of the nameless "youth hostel" whose number appears in the MS WORD list of albergues (and across the internet) as 985861105. A man answers this number but it does *not* belong to the youth hostel. Somebody with better Spanish could perhaps find out what hostel he is (as that number was also posted outside the hostel this evening). The youth hostel's name is "Youth Hostel Roberto Frasinelli". It is on Calle Ricardo Cangas. It is *closed down* and there was a massive renovation ongoing when I arrived this evening.

Please note.

Hi All,
Starting to plan for next year.
The OP is 6 years old. Is this information still relevant?

Hi again,

Road Tips

Sam

Thank you so much for all this info. The camino is such a physical challenge for me that I try to carry as little as possible. So not having to carry a guide book is fabulous. I would really appreciate the road maps.
Have a wonderful Camino. I start mine on the 13 August.

Hi again,

Road Tips

Sam
Great insite, many thanks. I am trying t decide between this and Camino in Portugal. I have already completed Le Puy and French from SJDP. Regards G

Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
does anyone know if polideportivo in castro urdiales operates as (additional) albergue for pilgrims or not?

Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
thanks, mspath. it is also listed on mundicamino. I was wondering if anyone has an actual experience.

updated list for the norte. (june 2016)

Attachments

• accommodation NORTE 2016.pdf
    875.7 KB · Views: 74
St James' Way - Self-guided 4-7 day Walking Packages, Reading to Southampton, 110 kms
Nuevo albergue. Está situado a un kilómetro aproximadamente de Piedras blancas y a unos cinco de Avilés. Exactamente en San Martín de Laspra

New albergue. It is located about a kilometer of Piedras Blancas and about five Avilés.
Exactly in San Martin de Laspra.

ScreenHunter_06%20Jul.%2026%2013.28_zpsyig7qowi.jpg

Os dejo la noticia.

I leave the news.

Los primeros peregrinos alaban la calidad del albergue de San Martín de Laspra

"Es una gran idea, porque antes no había ningún alojamiento desde Avilés hasta Soto de Luiña", señalan los usuarios del nuevo centro
26.07.2016 | 03:51
primeros-peregrinos.jpg
José Antonio González, ayer, con su madre, Angelita González, y su amigo José Hernández, delante de la casa rectoral de Laspra. MARA VILLAMUZA

San Martín de Laspra, Inés MONTES Castrillón, uno de los concejos por los que pasa el Camino de Santiago, inauguró ayer su primer albergue de peregrinos en la casa rectoral de la iglesia parroquial de San Martín de Laspra. La checa Verónica Morkovska, residente en Praga, fue la primera inquilina del albergue, pero desde primera hora de la mañana, varios caminantes se acercaron a conocer la posada que regenta José Antonio González. Entre ellos, el holandés Sierk Ter Horst. "Es una buena idea porque está bien equipado y desde Avilés hasta Soto de Luiña no había ningún albergue", dijo. El peregrino holandés destacó las maravillas del paisaje del Norte de España. "Mis paisanos prefieren el sur, pero a mí me gusta el clima y el paisaje del norte", explicó.

José Antonio González escogió la festividad de Santiago Apóstol para abrir el albergue. "Decidimos abrir hoy (por ayer lunes), pero de forma simbólica; a mediados de semana ya vamos a tener varios peregrinos", explicó mientras instalaba el cartel a la puerta del albergue. "Estos días ya estoy un poco más relajado, pero desde febrero que comenzamos con esta iniciativa he pasado unas semanas de mucho trabajo sobre todo por la cantidad de papeleo que hay que hacer", prosiguió.

El Arzobispado de Oviedo ha arrendado la casa rectoral de la iglesia de San Martín de Laspra a José Antonio González por un plazo inicial de cinco años. "Las dos partes confiamos en que esta posada sea un referente para los peregrinos que realizan el Camino de Santiago y que podamos seguir muchos años", dijo.

El albergue tiene capacidad para acoger a 46 peregrinos. Cuenta con 23 literas repartidas en habitaciones para alojar a dos, cuatro, seis u ocho personas para facilitar la estancia de personas solas o grupos y familias. La posada tiene otros servicios que agradecerá el usuario cuando llegue a San Martín de Laspra a pernoctar: cocina completamente equipada , zona para lavar con lavadoras y secadoras y zonas exteriores. Hay baños independientes para hombres y mujeres y un salón con televisión y con servicio de wifi. "La idea de abrir un albergue para peregrinos en Castrillón la tuve tras hacer el Camino", remató González.

Thank you for the list caminka. I start walking from Irun on 14/15 october, so this list will be very handy to have on my tablet.
Regards and best wishes, Brett

I to must say thank you for the list. I will be starting the Norte on Sept 7 2017 ( yes the flight is booked ) and will take this with me . just returned four weeks ago from the Primitivo and had a similar list from a forum that was very useful. Love it when people comment on what they thought of an albergue but realize that what one person experienced is not the same for all. The more comments the better

Most read last week in this forum

Hi all! I walked the Le Puy to Roncesvalles route last spring, and now I am thinking of Arles to Compostela on the Norte in the fall. I have many questions. I have downloaded the WP Norte App. I...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back