• Get your Camino Frances Guidebook here.
  • For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

List the albergues that offer communal meals!

nidarosa

Veteran Member
Time of past OR future Camino
Enjoying the camino since 2009
Hi, I have never taken part in a communal meal in an albergue apart from my second night on the Francés - no surprise it was at Orisson. I don't mean albergues with a kitchen where pilgrims can cook together, but albergues that offer, donativo or for a price, a communal meal they have shopped for and prepared. Pilgrims may very well be asked to help out, but basically I am after the ones where it is part of the plan and operation of the albergue. I am also interested in places that serve breakfast - I only remember the albergue Hogar in Villamayor de Monjardin, but never had it, we left very early that morning.

Please tell me the ones you know about and what it was like!

At Orisson I remember the food being absolutely delicious, and good walking food - a hearty lentil/bean stew and cooked meat. Bread and wine. Introductions - everybody had to say their name, where they were from, where they were going to and why they walked the camino. (As far as I remember.) The next day there was a toast and preserves breakfast (not good walking food for Scandinavians) and the option to buy a bocadillo to take on the walk over the pass.

New Original Camino Gear Designed Especially with The Modern Peregrino In Mind!
I had lovely communal meals at:
Hogar Monjardín in Villamayor de Mojardín (bread, salad/soup, pasta with a lovely tomato or meat sauce and fruit for dessert) Yes they had breakfast as well.
Albergue Libéranos Dómine in Rabé de las Calzados (bread, soup, sausages, meat, beans, yoghurt and fruit). Had breakfast as well.
Albergue Villares de Órbigo in Villares de Órbigo (but I was the only Pilgrim so I had a meal with the family) (salad, meat and sausages in a rice mix and pannacotta). The most amazing breakfast during my camino. It had everything. So good. This is one of the best albergues i have ever visited!
Albergue Monte Irago in Foncebadón (bread, paella and icecream for dessert). Yes breakfast was available.
Casa Banderas in Vilacha (but I was the only Pilgrim so I had a meal with the family) (tortilla, chicken stew with rice and peas I had ice cream as dessert but they had a chocolate cake). Breakfast was available really good one. Love this albergue as well.

Those meals were the best on my camino!

Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
Hornillos del Camino....albergue El Alfar (for extra cost dinner prepared by the couple that run the albergue, a private one that is also their residence....had a wonderful paella)

Carrion de los Condes.....albergue Santa Maria del Camino (a communal dinner where everyone participating brings something for the meal and helps prepare. there are at least two markets in that town. after dinner the nuns play guitar and a lot of singing etc..was very nice)

Ponferrada.....albergue Alea (private albergue run by two ladies and for extra cost a homemade dinner and breakfast in the morning...was very good)

Last edited by a moderator:
Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
I just thought it was time to gather this info in one thread. Most of the time when I came to a place with a choice in albergues I just picked a random one. I know people who would prefer to have communal meals and I know people who prefer going out to eat. The option of a communal meal is not always pointed out in guidebooks. So thanks for all the names so far and keep them coming!

The list is not complete indeed...
My very best communal meal was a delicous vegetarian couscous in El Serbal y La Luna in Pieros (which is my favorite albergue anyway).
Also there was a really nice vegetarian meal in the Dutch albergue in Villamayor de Monjardin. Very good breakfast as well.

Ideal pocket guides for during & after your Camino. Each weighs only 1.4 oz (40g)!
Albergue Santa Fe at Cardeñuela Riopico - a very convivial occasion around one long table, good food and wine, can't recall the cost but I think about 8-9 Euros including the wine and some lethal yellow liqueur at the end!

Albergue A Reboleira at Fonfria - dinner served in a separate building across the road which belongs to the albergue - a traditional style Galician thatched palloza. Fantastic atmosphere, there were about 60 of us at one long table (or several joined together!) around the walls - great food (starting with caldo gallego of course, then meat and rice placed on huge platters on the table), wine and dessert (and they can even handle vegetarians!) - all for 9 Euros. A highlight of the camino for us, as was everything about this lovely albergue (including the resident giant soppy dog, but that's another thread!)

I didn't realize you were trying to start a list, so add the monastery in Sarrance and Reb's Peaceable Kingdom to you list.

Oh yes! Reb's peaceable kingdom! She made me the best green curry chicken on a very cold winter night. Sure beat the meat and fries from every other night:)!

New Original Camino Gear Designed Especially with The Modern Peregrino In Mind!
La Casa Magica in Villatuerta - we had paella, and they serve breakfast, Hogar in Villamayor de Monjardin had a great dinner with lots of vegetables, and lots of choice at breakfast, Santa Fe in Cardenuela Riopico the woman running the albergue made us dinner and it was delicious - we had a choice of meal - interesting evening with lots of different languages at the table, Albergue Amenecer at Villarmentero De Campos was very hippy-ish, and they served a great communal dinner, had a ceremony in the evening and had a great breakfast - toast, cheese, ham, cereal, freshly made bread- and the breakfast was donation, San Bruno in Moratinos serves a communal Italian meal, Bercianos Municipal Albergue (a donativo albergue) served a fabulous paella for everyone and had us sing a song from our country, it was really fun, and a nice change from asking everyone where they started, etc..
After that I didn't find any more albergues that had dinners together. I definitely would like to find albergues in the last 100 km that foster the earlier spirit of the camino. It would have made that last week more enjoyable if I had been able to eat dinner with a large group of fellow pilgrims.

Join the Camino Cleanup in May from Ponferrada to Sarria. Registration closes Mar 22.
Acacia & Orieta: lentils and yogourt.
Quatro cantines: chicken
In Casanova, bilboreta: also chicken, with soup, Salas and some désert.
At the private in Sta Irene: soup, fish and yogourt.

On the Primitivo the best meal ever: cream of veggies, potaches bacalao ans foe désert tarta de Santiago. Breakfast made of thicl slice of home made Brad with home made préserves. It was all inclided on the price of the albergue In the Juvénil in Castro.

I don't recall any comunal breakfasts on CF I would pay for.

The next day there was a toast and preserves breakfast (not good walking food for Scandinavians) and the option to buy a bocadillo to take on the walk over the pass.

I got a kick out of this because I had the exact same thought the first morning out of SJPP, so apparently toast and preserves is not good walking food for Americans, either!

Anyway, this is a good idea for a thread because those communal meals are fantastic! Oftentimes when eating out I found the Peregrino Menus to be pretty bad for the price. Once I had lamb and it was nothing more than overcooked skin and bones. Often a wiser pilgrim would just order a tuna salad off the peregrino menu for half as much and get much healthier food to eat. Yet the communal dinners with other pilgrims were almost always excellent--both the food and the company.

So bottom line is that in the future I will opt to eat a communal meal over going out to eat the peregrino menu at a drab restaurant every time. I often felt the 10-12 Euro Peregrino Menus were overpriced and not worth it.

El Pajar de Ages makes a mean Arroz Castellano (paella minus the seafood) you know its good when it is made with love, the owners young daughter helped her mom cook dinner and asked us how dinner was, she beamed with pride when we gave lots of smiles and praise for her hard work.

wonderful meals along the Camino Frances

A selection of Camino Jewellery
Most I was going to mention have already been spoken of, so I wanted to add Albergue Refugio Pequeno Potala in Ruitelán-- have stayed here on both of my Camino journeys. Delicious dinner!! Great hosts, wonderful wake up music in the morning, and they provide breakfast as well.

Great idea this thread!I really enjoy the communal meals at albergues, the energy is fantastic. Most i know of are mentioned and a whole lot more i didnt know off!
L'esprit du Cheminin SJPP, now different name and owners did wonderful communal meal and introductions,
Albergue Emaus in Burgos is a special place,
Albergue En el Camino in Boadilla del Camino
Albergue Verde in Hospital de Orbigo did delicious vegetarian meal and yoga class
San Bruno in Moratinos had a nice Italian meal.
Most had a breakfast option also.

Great idea for a thread - I love the communal meals.

Here are my recollections (apologies in advance for the spelling errors). All offered a veggie option - I've highlighted the two places that were totally vegetarian.

Lorca: La Bodega
Villamayor de Monjardin: Hogar albergue. Loved this place - a special atmosphere.
Belorado: El Caminante
Cardenuela Riopica - Albergue via Minera
Boadilla - En el Camino. As others have said, this may be the best albergue on the Camino.
Villar de Mazarif - Albergue San Antonio (vegetarian). I really liked this place. Excellent food, freshly prepared.
Fonfria - Albergue a Reboleira. Fantastic communal meal, super hosts.
San Mahmed del Camino - Albergue Paloma y Lena (vegetarian). I think the Brierley book says this place is an 'oasis of calm'. He's right.
Villacha - Casa Banderas. Gordon makes the best Padron Peppers!

Nuala

Last edited:
St James' Way - Self-guided 4-7 day Walking Packages, Reading to Southampton, 110 kms
Hi, I have never taken part in a communal meal in an albergue apart from my second night on the Francés - no surprise it was at Orisson. I don't mean albergues with a kitchen where pilgrims can cook together, but albergues that offer, donativo or for a price, a communal meal they have shopped for and prepared. Pilgrims may very well be asked to help out, but basically I am after the ones where it is part of the plan and operation of the albergue. I am also interested in places that serve breakfast - I only remember the albergue Hogar in Villamayor de Monjardin, but never had it, we left very early that morning.

At Orisson I remember the food being absolutely delicious, and good walking food - a hearty lentil/bean stew and cooked meat. Bread and wine. Introductions - everybody had to say their name, where they were from, where they were going to and why they walked the camino. (As far as I remember.) The next day there was a toast and preserves breakfast (not good walking food for Scandinavians) and the option to buy a bocadillo to take on the walk over the pass.
Genius…THANK YOU. Starting the walk in 40+ days. Will definitely compile into a spreadsheet and print it. :)

Lots of memories evoked reading above. I would add La Casa Magica in Villatuerta. There is a kitchen for you to cook yourself but they also cook a good communal dinner (Vegetable Paella when I was there). A wonderful relaxing place BTW.

3rd Edition. More content, training & pack guides avoid common mistakes, bed bugs etc
On my present Camino a couple of places that have not already been mentioned are:

Maneru - Albergue Lurgorri
Villarente - San Pelayo

Granon was my absolute favorite - 40 of us squished in, 10+ countries represented, it was wonderful.
Other favorites - the Villamayor de Monjardin,Tosantos, Cirraqui (private albergue, wonderful hostess), Jacque de Molay alberque (private - where I spent my 60th birthday).

I got a kick out of this because I had the exact same thought the first morning out of SJPP, so apparently toast and preserves is not good walking food for Americans, either!

Anyway, this is a good idea for a thread because those communal meals are fantastic! Oftentimes when eating out I found the Peregrino Menus to be pretty bad for the price. Once I had lamb and it was nothing more than overcooked skin and bones. Often a wiser pilgrim would just order a tuna salad off the peregrino menu for half as much and get much healthier food to eat. Yet the communal dinners with other pilgrims were almost always excellent--both the food and the company.

So bottom line is that in the future I will opt to eat a communal meal over going out to eat the peregrino menu at a drab restaurant every time. I often felt the 10-12 Euro Peregrino Menus were overpriced and not worth it.
Yeah, one of my first lessons on my first Camino. Don't depend on that snack they call a breakfast to get you through a walking morning. Big daddy needs some complex carbs and protein. I quickly learned to purchase provisions the night before if possible.
That first day, the sandwich I bought the night before in SJPdP was gone by 9:00 am and by the time I arrived in Roncesvalles about 3:00 pm I was starving only to discover no little shops there to get food. I had to wait until the dinner that evening to get some food in me, and it wasn't really all that great. Some greasy fries, a small baked trout along with the usual salad and bread, wine, etc. I don't remember what the cost was. Probably the usual price for a peregrino menu.

St James' Way - Self-guided 4-7 day Walking Packages, Reading to Southampton, 110 kms

Bizkarret - Corazon Puro - both dinner and breakfast
Orisson
Zubiri - El Palo de Avellano - dinner and breakfast
Granon and Tosantos, both donativos with communal dinner and breakfast and special albergues
Villatuerte - Casa Magica - paella dinner and breakfast with boiled eggs
Ciruena - Albergue de Virgen de Guadelope - dinner and, I think, breakfast
Cardenuela - Albergue Via Minera - wonderful dinner with fresh strawberries for dessert, breakfast, and Carlos the kindest hospitalerio ever
Villar de Mazarife - Tio Pepe, but get there early because the food ran out when we were there!
Santa Catalina - Albergue San Blas - dinner choice included fresh trout
Foncebadon - Monte Irago - dinner of all you could eat, sausage & cheese, paella, salad, vino; also breakfast
Molineseca - Albergue Santa Marina - pasta and salad communal dinner
Ruitelan - Pequeno Potola - wonderful meal of carrot soup, salad, incredible spaghetti carbonara, natilla; breakfast to the sound of music

Fond memories from this year's camino. Buen camino!

Albergue Emaus in Burgos is a special place,
Albergue En el Camino in Boadilla del Camino

I've stayed at both places recently and wasn't offered a communal meal.
En El Camino has a restaurant.
Emaus had a kitchen - are they now offering meals?

I've stayed at both places recently and wasn't offered a communal meal.
En El Camino has a restaurant.
Emaus had a kitchen - are they now offering meals?

Hi Annie,

I stayed at Emaus on 25 May this year and had communal evening meal and breakfast the next morning at 7am.....evening meal and breakfast donativo!
Yeah En el Camino was in their restaurant but still a communal experience as I don't think there are may other places to eat nearby, 9 euros if I remember!

Ideal pocket guides for during & after your Camino. Each weighs only 1.4 oz (40g)!
Hi Annie,

I stayed at Emaus on 25 May this year and had communal evening meal and breakfast the next morning at 7am.....evening meal and breakfast donativo!
Yeah En el Camino was in their restaurant but still a communal experience as I don't think there are may other places to eat nearby, 9 euros if I remember!

That's good to know about Emaus.
I loved that - did they enforce the rule of silence?

That's good to know about Emaus.
I loved that - did they enforce the rule of silence?

Not that I remember, we spoke at dinner and after washing the dishes we had a short discussion in dining room. Silence after 9pm. Breakfast not before 7am. My first time to stay at Emaus and a really nice experience

Not that I remember, we spoke at dinner and after washing the dishes we had a short discussion in dining room. Silence after 9pm. Breakfast not before 7am. My first time to stay at Emaus and a really nice experience
Actually, it's been a few years since I was at Emaus. Sheesh, time flies!
I'll have to try it again.
I stayed a Boadilla last year for the first time and really enjoyed it.

3rd Edition. More content, training & pack guides avoid common mistakes, bed bugs etc
Albergue Casa Domingo in Pontecampaña offers communal meals. Just after O Cotón, before reaching Casanova.

In Villar de Mazarife, there was a communal dinner at Albergue San Antonio de Padua. I second @GettingThere's Albergue A Reboleira at Fonfria suggestion. We had the same great meal and some amount of fun times!

I don't think that this one has been mentioned yet - Albergue Casa Los Aguedas in the village of Murias de Rechivaldo. 3.7 km from Astorga on the way to Rabanal. The meal in the evening was vegetarian and delicious, and the young hospitalera from Brazil was a delight. Breakfast is also included and the albergue is private so it accepts bookings.

I have to support those who said they enjoyed staying at the Municipal albergue in Bercianos del Real Camino. I stayed there in late May, and the last to sing after dinner was an Argentinian opera singer. After the Argentinian national anthem, he sang Ave Maria. Simply unforgettable.

And another vote for Albergue Refugio Paqueno Potala in Ruitelan. A lot of fun, and the best value I found on the camino - just 15 euro for dinner, bed and breakfast.

Also add, Refugio Fenix at Villafranca. We had a very restoring communal meal there and breakfast. A very warm welcome. But, don't expect hot showers from solar heated water on a miserable rainy day! Needed the hot food to warm up.

Great idea for a thread. Note that not all parochial albergues serve an evening meal. San Miguel in Estella used to (in 2011) but it does not now, only breakfast.
I think it is a bit unfair to criticize breakfasts. Spanish people are used to a very light breakfast, and 50% of pergrinos are Spanish. There are also the practical problems of preparing breakfasts for people leaving at times between 6 and 8am. I have found that coffee and bread/toast is enough to get by on until the first bar.

I think it is a bit unfair to criticize breakfasts.
And futile! If I cannot change something, I try to accept it.;) There is always tortilla at the first bar, usually prepared fresh that morning. Tortilla francesa on a plate or in a bocadilla is available freshly cooked everywhere there is cooked food service.

Acacia & Orieta: lentils and yogourt.
Quatro cantines: chicken
In Casanova, bilboreta: also chicken, with soup, Salas and some désert.
At the private in Sta Irene: soup, fish and yogourt.

On the Primitivo the best meal ever: cream of veggies, potaches bacalao ans foe désert tarta de Santiago. Breakfast made of thicl slice of home made Brad with home made préserves. It was all inclided on the price of the albergue In the Juvénil in Castro.

I don't recall any comunal breakfasts on CF I would pay for.

Hello all,
I LOVE the list but can everyone put the cities in with the name of the albergue so us 'newbies' can find them on the map and mark them. I'm going to start the end of september with one of my daughters and I love the idea of staying where there are communal meals as much as possible.
thanks,
celeste

Hello all,
I LOVE the list but can everyone put the cities in with the name of the albergue so us 'newbies' can find them on the map and mark them. I'm going to start the end of september with one of my daughters and I love the idea of staying where there are communal meals as much as possible.
thanks,
celeste
Hi Celeste.
This may help you in locating the albergues referred to in the previous posts http://www.caminoguide.net/downloads/CaminoFrancesGuide.pdf
Buen camino :)

Hi Celestemesser,
I am preparing the list based on all these recommendations (over 50), in order from St Jean to Santiago, and will post tomorrow.
I don't this these were all recommandations, just a list of where these afe offered. You can often eat better and for a fraction of the price by going to El Dia or Eroski.

Also add, Refugio Fenix at Villafranca. We had a very restoring communal meal there and breakfast. A very warm welcome. But, don't expect hot showers from solar heated water on a miserable rainy day! Needed the hot food to warm up.
Too funny and true. Also don't expect toilet seats or Windows in the bathrooms, after all he doesn't charge extra for these luxuries

Will be leaving Canada for SJPdP on Aug. 21st. so am getting very anxious to GO! One of the things I am really looking forward to is the communal meals and so this thread is awesome for me. Thank you everyone for your input. I compiled everybody's info above into a table that makes it easy to follow along the way from SJPdP to SJdC. I confirmed the locations and also situated each albergue within John Brierley's 33-stage guide since this is what I will be using. Hope it can be useful to someone else! P.S. you will need to convert the attachment from .txt to .doc after uploading. That's the only way I was able to upload the list. Hope to meet you on the Camino this September :) Buen Camino all!

Attachments

• Communal Meals along the Camino Frances .txt
    86.5 KB · Views: 118
The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
Thanks, @Hélène Cholette-Lacasse for doing this! But I can't make any sense of the text file. Would it be possible to copy and paste the list into a regular post?
The attached .txt file seems actually to be a document, not simple text. While some programs/apps will open it as is (such as Open Office) others will not. Following Hélène's suggestion, I renamed the file from .txt to .doc, that is, to "Communal Meals along the Camino Frances .doc" This worked where there had been a failure. And it looks like great information, thanks for compiling it!

Bob

SJPdP Maison Donamaria (Private) 0 km Stage 1
Orisson Auberge Orrison (Private) 7,8
Viscarret Corazon Puro 36,9 Stage 2
Zubiri El Palo de Avellano (Private) 48
Larrasoana San Nicolas (Parroquial) 53,5
Zabaldika Albergue (Convent) 61 Stage 3
Maneru Albergue Lurgorri (Private) 97,6 Stage 5
Cirauqui Maralotx (Private) 100,4
Lorca La Bodega del Camino (Private) 105,4
Villatuerta Casa Magica (Private) 110,2
Villameyor de Monjardin Albergue Hogar Monjardin (Association) 121,6 Stage 6
Viana Albergue Santa Maria (Parroquial) 155,1 Stage 7
Logrono Albergue Santiago (Parrochial) 164,1
Ciruena Albergue de Virgen de Guadalupe (Private) 208,6 Stage 9
Granon Albergue San Juan Botista (Parrochial) 221,5 Stage 10
Viloria de la Rioja Acacio y Orietta (Private) 228,9
Belorado El Caminante (Private) 238,6
Tosantos Albergue San Francisco de Asis (Parrochial) 243,6 Stage 11
Agés Albergue El Pajar (Private) 268,7 Stage 12
Cardenuela Riopica Albergue Via Minera (Private) 276,1
Burgos Albergue Emaus (Parroquial) 292,2
Rabé de las Calzados Albergue Libéranos Domine (Private) 302,2 Stage 13
Hornillos del Camino Albergue El Alfar (Private) 310,2
Boadilla del Camino Albergue En el Camino (Private) 349,2 Stage 15
Carrion de los Condes Albergue Santa Maria (Parroquial) 374,2 Stage 16
Terradillos de los Templarios Albergue Jacques de Molay (Private) 400,7 Stage 17
Moratinos Hostal Moratinos AKA Peac.Kingdom(Pri) 403,7 Stage 18
Moratinos Albergue San Bruno (Association) 404
Bercianos del Real Camino Albergue (Parroquial) 425
Puente Villarente Possada San Pelayo (Private) 458,8 Stage 20
Villar de Mazarife Albergue San Antonio de Padua (Private) 492,8 Stage 21
Hospital de Orbigo Albergue Verde (Private) 510,8 Stage 22
Villares de Orbigo Albergue Villares (Private) 512,8
Murias de Rechivaldo Albergue Casa Los Agedas (Association) 532,8 Stage 23
Santa Catalina Albergue San Blas (Private) 537,8
Foncebadon Albergue Monte Irago (Private) 555,3 Stage 24
Molinasceca Albergue Santa Marina (Private) 574,8
Ponferrada Albergue Alea (Private) 582,8 Stage 25
Pieros Albergue El Serbal y la Luna (Private) 600
Villafranca del Bierzo Refugio Fenix (Private) 604,8
Ruitelan Albergue Pequeno Potala (Private) 624,5 Stage 26
Fonfria del Camino Albergue A Reboleira (Private) 643,5 Stage 27
San Mamed del Camino Albergue Paloma y Lena (Private) 672 Stage 28
Vilacha Albergue Casa Banderas (Private) 695,8 Stage 29
San Xulian do Camino Albergue O Abrigadoiro (Private) 726,8 Stage 31
Ponte Campana-Mato Albergue Casa Domingo (Private) 727,8
Casanova Albergue Bolboreta (Private) 729,4
Melide Albergue San Anton (Private) 738,9
Santa Irene Albergue de Xunta (Private) 768,4 Stage 32

Note: km may vary a little

Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-
Thank you to everyone who has added to the list and a special thank you to @Hélène Cholette-Lacasse and the others who have taken time and care to compile the list and share it! This is so great, I am very pleased that this info is now being collated and made accessible to pilgrims who might be looking for it and didn't know where to look. I hope it is made available and in a format that allows for it to be updated regularly - if not there is always this thread. Thanks again everyone!

Thank you to everyone who has added to the list and a special thank you to @Hélène Cholette-Lacasse and the others who have taken time and care to compile the list and share it! This is so great, I am very pleased that this info is now being collated and made accessible to pilgrims who might be looking for it and didn't know where to look. I hope it is made available and in a format that allows for it to be updated regularly - if not there is always this thread. Thanks again everyone!
Hey thank you for starting this thread Nidarosa! Great teamwork everyone...

I missed this thread but I have to put in my most favorite meal and evening of the whole camino. Private albergue Casa do Rego at A Pena, stage 29. Only 6 beds and communal meal cooked by Lorenzo who is a chef. His Philippino wife and their 4 year old daughter were a delight. Amazing salad, baked chicken, ratatouille followed by blackberry cheesecake and olive oil ice cream! And a cooked breakfast if you wanted.

Updated List in pdf
Thanks to everyone who contributed to this list. I started my Camino 3 days ago and am trying to organize it around these suggestions. Corazon Pura in Biskarret was amazing--18 euros for room, hot bath, home cooked meal with wine and breakfast in a wonderful home. I couldn't believe there were only 2 of us staying that night, but we each enjoyed our own room. Even if we hadn't, it's only ever 2 to a room. Last night at the donativo in Zabaldica connected with the convent was also fabulous--lots of food, wine, songs, and stories flowed, and the nuns were awesome. I wish there were another one somewhere in stage 4, but every night can't be as wonderful as those, I suppose.

Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-
Thanks to everyone who contributed to this list. I started my Camino 3 days ago and am trying to organize it around these suggestions. Corazon Pura in Biskarret was amazing--18 euros for room, hot bath, home cooked meal with wine and breakfast in a wonderful home. I couldn't believe there were only 2 of us staying that night, but we each enjoyed our own room. Even if we hadn't, it's only ever 2 to a room. Last night at the donativo in Zabaldica connected with the convent was also fabulous--lots of food, wine, songs, and stories flowed, and the nuns were awesome. I wish there were another one somewhere in stage 4, but every night can't be as wonderful as those, I suppose.
Great to see the list being useful! Thanks for your feedback :)

Thanks to all, especially Helene and Raybert.
As promised in a post above, I listed all the albergues in these posts plus some that I know, into a word document. Somehow, I was unable to upload it onto a post and I have been struggling for the past week. My computer and I are now in therapy but I fear I will come out of it the loser!
I have compared Helenes list with my own, and hers is very comprehensive. I would like to add two special places however.
1. SJPDP, Albergue Beilari (Private) Stage 1. It used to called L'Esprit de Chemin.
2. San Anton, Albergue San Anton. 495.5 kms Stage 14. Small with 14 beds. There is no village and just the ruins of the convent that sheltered pilgrims past. Dinner and breakfast provided. It is basic, with no electricity, and the volunteer hospitalero is provided with a bicycle to go to Castrojeriz to get supplies. It is very atmospheric with a continuation of the communal gathering every evening after dinner by candlelight. A camino friend is there this week as hospitalero.

Thanks to all, especially Helene and Raybert.
As promised in a post above, I listed all the albergues in these posts plus some that I know, into a word document. Somehow, I was unable to upload it onto a post and I have been struggling for the past week. My computer and I are now in therapy but I fear I will come out of it the loser!
I have compared Helenes list with my own, and hers is very comprehensive. I would like to add two special places however.
1. SJPDP, Albergue Beilari (Private) Stage 1. It used to called L'Esprit de Chemin.
2. San Anton, Albergue San Anton. 495.5 kms Stage 14. Small with 14 beds. There is no village and just the ruins of the convent that sheltered pilgrims past. Dinner and breakfast provided. It is basic, with no electricity, and the volunteer hospitalero is provided with a bicycle to go to Castrojeriz to get supplies. It is very atmospheric with a continuation of the communal gathering every evening after dinner by candlelight. A camino friend is there this week as hospitalero.
Super David! Here is the updated list with your inputs.

Attachments

• Communal Meals along the Camino Frances - Aug2015.pdf
    54.5 KB · Views: 32
Did our Pilgrimage in May 2015. Like Luisa we enjoyed our communal dinner at the Albergue Casa Domingo in Pontecampaña. The meal was 10 Euros each and it was filling both physically and spiritually.

Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-
Can you also add to the list La Perla Negra in Azqueta, which is right before Villamayor de Monjardin in Stage 6. It was a great place--ecclectic feel with instruments and art available for play. The dinner was a culinary delight, and breakfast is also available. The place is small with 2-3 beds in something like 3 or 4 rooms. In other words, all the pilgrims could fit around one table and enjoy the meal together.

Thank you. I will endeavour to keep the list updated based on everyone's input. Here is the latest update which I renamed with the date of the latest update. Hope this is useful :)

Attachments

• Communal Meals along the Camino Frances v. 5 Aug 2015.pdf
    54.9 KB · Views: 43
Cuatro Cantones in Belorado offers a great communal meal.
Same for Albergue El Palomar in Ledigos and Santa Lucia in Villavante
However, I find it easier and cheaper buying your own food and cooking for yourself

Last edited:
The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
Hola a todos! Here is the updated list - latest version is thus 16 August 2015 :)

Attachments

• Communal Meals along the Camino Frances (16 Aug 2015).pdf
    56.1 KB · Views: 88
The first edition came out in 2003 and has become the go-to-guide for many pilgrims over the years. It is shipping with a Pilgrim Passport (Credential) from the cathedral in Santiago de Compostela.
Hola a todos! Here is the updated list - latest version is thus 16 August 2015 :)
Hélène, thank you so much for your continuing effort in updating the list. I had walked the CF in 2012 and the VdLP 2014. I was going to walk the CP for my next camino. However, I chanced upon this thread and will probably walk the CF again. Without this kind of list, I have had communal dinners by chance. They were wonderful experiences. Armed with this list, I will definitely plan for communal dinners whenever possible. Buen camino.

Great and easy to use and carry list. One correction, for Santa Irene: the private albergue that offers a meal is not the Xunta albergue. Actually being Xunta means public.

Lovely list, thank you!
Users should know that many of these listed places serve dinner in a communal sit-down style, but "communal" does not extend to the the kitchen. You do not contribute ingredients or help prepare and serve the meals at many of these places -- you eat together, and everyone pays for his dinner.

Also, please correct the Moratinos listing. Hostal Moratinos is NOT Peaceable Kingdom!
The hostal is a money-making proposition, with restaurant-style service. Peaceable is my house.

Honnestly, I have never been in an albergue that purposely offers a "communal meal" in the sense that people are meant to bring ingredients and cook together and eat together. All I have seen are sitdown meals served by the hospitaleros or impromptu cooking sessions between pilgrims who are friends and organise thes for their own group. I think it's important to differentiate between the 3.

Acacio & Orietta, Casanova, Cantones in Belorado and Santa Irene are all meals prepared by the hospitaloeros that we pay for. Actually, I'ma having doubts about the Cantones. It may be a place where we made tortillas,on pur own where as the place I was thinking of offered a cooked chicken meal.,

Lovely list, thank you!
Users should know that many of these listed places serve dinner in a communal sit-down style, but "communal" does not extend to the the kitchen. You do not contribute ingredients or help prepare and serve the meals at many of these places -- you eat together, and everyone pays for his dinner.

Portos is also one of these communal, eat together and everyone pays for dinner. It was one of my best meals on the Camino. Wonderful hosts, wonderful cooks. Also such a memorable, relaxing and quiet place to stay.

Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-

Agree! Orisson was fabulous and we made friendships that lasted to Santiago and beyond. So glad that we stayed there.

Fuente del Peregrino. About 3/4days from Santiago. It's seems to be run by an American religious organisation. Excellent 3 course evening meal. Bread and jam for breakfast. Donations.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    791.1 KB · Views: 21
Thank you so much for preparing this list, fellow Canadian, Hélène Cholette-Lacasse and all who have contributed recommendations. I have highlighted for myself all that have a vegetarian option (at least 13), and am looking forward to starting off on Sept. 3rd from Pamplona. This thread is a wonderful resource.

The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
Fuente del Peregrino. About 3/4days from Santiago. It's seems to be run by an American religious organisation. Excellent 3 course evening meal. Bread and jam for breakfast. Donations.

The 'Fuente del Peregrino' donativo albergue is located in Ligonde (about 15 km after Portomarin), our third-last night before Santiago.) It is a seasonal operation. On the very rainy day we enjoyed our communal meal, prepared by & shared with their international youth volunteers, it was literally a haven in a storm - rustic facilities, an exuberant welcome and joyful spirituality.

Thanks so much to all of you for this thread and especially for the updated list. What a great resource!

Honnestly, I have never been in an albergue that purposely offers a "communal meal" in the sense that people are meant to bring ingredients and cook together and eat together. ...

Occasionally it depends a bit on the hospitaleros (some prefer to cook with the pilgrims/ some for pilgrims) but the parish albergues in Grañón and Tosantos offer normally such a traditional style communal meal. Buen Camino, SY

M
The 'Fuente del Peregrino' donativo albergue is located in Ligonde (about 15 km after Portomarin), our third-last night before Santiago.) It is a seasonal operation. On the very rainy day we enjoyed our communal meal, prepared by & shared with their international youth volunteers, it was literally a haven in a storm - rustic facilities, an exuberant welcome and joyful spirituality.

Thanks so much to all of you for this thread and especially for the updated list. What a great resource!
Thanks Hobbyhorse! It's because of everybody's input, like yours, that the list was made possible.

€83,-
Communal Meals Aug 2015:

Below is my recent camino experience. I didn't eat enough communal meals while on Camino in August, I'm going from St Jean to Burgos commencing on Friday and will be trying to stay in the parochial albergues where possible as I understand they are more for communal meals.

Zariquiegui - La Posada - Host cooks, sit round communal table, no choices but vegetarian switch outs.
Ciraqui - Maralotx - Host cooks, sit round communal table, no choice but everything was incredible and loads of it.
Calzada del coto - San Roque - Hospitaleros encouraging a communal meal cooked by pilgrims.
Santa Irene - Albergue - Host cooks, sit round communal table, no choices.
Navarette - El Cantaro - Host cooks, sit round communal table, no choices, meal was veggie & basic.
Ages - El Pajar de Ages - Menu with choices, multiple tables.
Villavante - Santa Lucia - Menu with choices, multiple tables.
Villafranca del Bierzo - Ave Fenix - Great for vegans/vegetarians, they split the meat eaters and vegetarians over two tables.

I haven't checked to see if these were duplicates.

Albergue de peregrinos parroquial Zabaldika, Zabaldika
La Casa del Peregrino, Navarrete (paella)
Albergue de peregrinos de Manjarín, Manjarin
Albergue do Sol e da Lua, Finisterre (vegetarian)

These you could order a meal but the food was served at the same time at the same table:
Albergue de peregrinos Ultreia, Castrojerez
Albergue O Abrigadoiro, San Xulian

Not really communal but it had the same feel:
Casa Albergue Molino de Marzán, Peruscallo

Most read last week in this forum

Hi Caminantes, My wife and I are leaving for Madrid from Brisbane - AU on May 4th to walk the Frances. We are flying with Qatar. I am a bit worried that if I check in my backpacks, they have a...
Hi all, Im walking my first Camino in April (CF) and was wondering if it would be likely for me to encounter leeches? I know for most people leeches are not a big deal but they are in plague...
In past years, when we walked from Samos to Sarria, there was simply a yellow arrow that went off to the right of the highway, up a hill, past a pig farm then a sharp left turn at a small church...
Are you also interested to know the reasons why other fellow pilgrims choose to walk El Camino? Please participate in the poll!
Several local websites have reported a small earthquake this afternoon with an epicentre in the Sarria area. Apparently felt quite strongly locally but with little likelihood of property damage...
Hello!! I am a retired Spanish gentleman living in Madrid. My name is Jose and I would like to do the Camino de Santiago again!!! But this time I would like to walk and improve my English Level...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.