• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

List your shoes

Therese81

Hi all, there are so many threads in regards to footwear, many opinions, many different kinds of footwear. I know a common reply is: "use what works best for your feet" and "the same thing does not work for everyone", while that is true it's nice as a newbie to get some ideas on where to start. My wish is not to start another discussion I was hoping you could list what shoes you wear both during the walk and in the evening and perhaps a comment on why that works for you. Just to put some ideas in a beginners mind :).

Buen Camino to you all! Therese

A selection of Camino Jewellery
Have not walked the camino yet, but choice of shoes;
-Meindl Badile leather hiking boots, non gore-tex etc.
-Luna sandals (classic model, custom made, leather straps) for light strolling and/or shorter day trips. (Folks do run ultra-marathons wearing these :wink: )
-Featherweight flip flops for showers and indoors

Buen Camino. :)

Each time that I have walked the Camino I have worn hiking boots from Decathon. The description page is . http://www.decathlon.co.uk/forclaz-500- ... 26589.html. One pair usually lasts me for two Caminos. These are breathable and waterproof and weigh about 1 kilo per pair. I add simple removable innersoles to absorb perspiration. In the evening and to the shower I wear their sandals described at http://www.decathlon.co.uk/arpenaz-50-s ... 87106.html. The sandals can also be worn for simple hiking.

Buen Camino!

Margaret

Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-
I will be wearing 'Keen' siskiyou boots (550grams each)

The keen range are comfortbale for me with my wider feet and I wear the 'shoe' version to work most days and most of the weekend as well.

The Siskiyou has the same feel as the shoe but it has the extended height at the heal to support the ankle

I find them as good as slippers for my feet but with good support

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gRh4bELHxl8

If you want them at a good price as well and your are in Austrlalia - try the 'Escape 2' shop at the DFO outlets in South Bank in the city - on special at moment for A$130.

And for the evenings I use flip flops that weigh only 130 grams each (of course in Australia we call them thongs - or in NZ they are Jandals) whatever they are still 130 grams each.

Ian

Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-
Therese:

Merrell low cut Goretex hiking shoes with Vibram soles.

Ultreya,
Joe

Teva sandals. Yes, I know, the question of the intelligence of the intrepid sandal wearer. It's all I've worn for years. Anywhere. I own one old, but mint, pair of Adidas Telstar soccer boots, a pair of steel-toed work boots, and my faithful Tevas. Last time I went camping, here in Nebraska at the Nebraska National Forest at Halsey, that's what I had for the entire trip. I've carried packs through cities, train stations, up and down stairs, through forests in them with never a problem. They're my work shoes. I even wear them in winter, including one winter living and working the Appalachian Mountains. I have broad, flat feet and an iffy ankle and my Tevas are the only things that are consistently comfortable. Since my feet and my body are already used to them, I'm wired to make the decisions we make in less than ideal walking circumstances based on their characteristics. And since I don't have to learn to do hills in them before I go, they're my footwear of choice.

I'm currently recovering from a back and hip injury that left me with a limp and a significant weight gain. They've seen me through that too. By the time I leave for Spain, I should be back upright and a 6 foot, 2 inch, 220 pounder, (99+ kilos, 15+ stone) again.

For around the auberge and after hiking, I'm doing the ugly thing and going with Crocs. They don't weigh anything and they resist water. If I get the full-foot variety, the ones with laces, and size them to my socks, I'll have them as emergency hiking shoes until I can get to a shoe shop just in case.

St James' Way - Self-guided 4-7 day Walking Packages, Reading to Southampton, 110 kms
Therese81 said:
I was hoping you could list what shoes you wear both during the walk and in the evening and perhaps a comment on why that works for you.
I managed to wear out a pair of boots during a couple of caminos: Merell - Chameleon leather - MID - waterproof, Vibram soles. Absolutely recommendable. Though when for days it had been raining, my feet were soaking wet. It's doubtful whether absolutely waterproof footwear is available.
Recently I walked in new boots: Merrell - Moab - MID - Gore-Tex - Vibram soles. They feel very comfortable, are light and elastic, molding well over my feet. The real "rain and mud" test is still pending though.
For evenings and "off pilgrimage": a pair of Crocs. Not elegant but airy, easy to slip into, light to carry and sufficiently sturdy for short walks.
Hope this info helps. :?:

I'm with Annie on this - New Balance 573 trail running shoes (either goretex or non) every time.

We don't have much choice here in Costa Rica as far as trekking boots are concerned (especially for women). I have just replaced my Merrell Chamaleon Mid Women's model with a new pair - same again, this time with goretex. This wasn't by choice - it was all that was available! That's fine with me. My old Merrells did twice the complete Camino Francés and once the Sanabrés. Actually the old ones still aren't worn out, by no means, but I decided to play safer than sorry. I prefer Mid boots for the Camino, to give more support to the feet when carrying a backpack. Anne

St James' Way - Self-guided 4-7 day Walking Packages, Reading to Southampton, 110 kms
Hi.

I like to alternate between my Keen hiking boots and Asics running shoes. The Asics are more comfy for sure, but I've found it helpful in preventing tendonitis and other ailments to alternate shoes every other day.

My Keens are ready to be replaced, though, and I just read about this new boot, the Saloman Synapse Mid, which Backpacker Mag's editors named its 2012 Editors' Choice pick for best boot. It supposedly offers running shoe comfort combined with hiking boot stability, and I think I'll try it. Has anyone else used it? http://www.altrec.com/salomon/womens-sy ... king-shoes

Melanie

After trying several pairs on unsuccessfully, I went out on a limb and ordered a pair with good reviews from a backpack magazine...AHNU MONTARA...and I couldn't be happier. They come in a beautiful purple or red, are mid height, with a nice wide toe box. I have really bad feet and knees and haven't had any issues. They are pricey, but worth every penny...

@eileenc: I will be wearing my AHNU MONTARAs for the Camino ... leaving the USA in 16 days!!! I love the boots so much that I bought 2 pairs. My daughter had trouble finding a pair of boots for the trip, gave her my second pair and she loves them ... hers red (actually Tawny Port) and mine purple (Astral Aura) ... guess appropriate colors for the Camino ... Laura

Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-
To hike: Salomons. I started my 1st camino on the wrong shoes (lowa i think). After a week of terrible blisters and cut off toenails, I bought my 1st pair of Salomons in a tiny hop in Santander. And since then i walk on Salomons. On my 4th pair now. They last about 1200 km I found out.
For the evenings: the lightest Teva sandals, consisting of a foamlike sole and a few straps, but remarkably strong and comfortable for what it is.
ria

Salomon trail-running shoes. Non-Goretex, mostly mesh, very lightweight and ventilated. If it rains a lot they will get soaked, but at least they will dry completely overnight. Will alternate with Teva sandals, also lightweight and very comfortable, which I intend to wear whenever possible.

I have walked in Asolo TPS 535 boots for the past 3 years, a new pair every year. In the evenings I wear flip-flops, however these can be dangerous on wet cobblestones so this year I will take Teva sandles which stick like....

Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-
which Salomon are you using ? I used the speedcross last year as they were the best fit, but the soles wear down fast...

I just bought a pair of Haglögs Crag that I am planning to where. Will probalby also bring a pair of Inov-8 Talon 190 (only 190 gram!) for spare if I feel like wearing something different someday.

Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-
I walk on trailrunners (salomons), goretex ultra pro or something like that. I have the impression that the hiking shoes last longer than the trailrunners. But the trailrunners feel more comfy.

Verstuurd van mijn GT-I9100G met Tapatalk

Shoes or sandals?

I am going to hike the Camino del Norte in June for the first time, starting in San Sebastian. I have a pair of good, used Northface Gore-tex shoes, but they are a bit heavy. I also have a pair of Teva sandals that are good for walking, good support, lighter, with air filtration. I am feeling a bit iffy about the shoes and leaning towards the Tevas, but then again, there will be rain and I am not sure if the Tevas are a good option. I'd like to bring a pair of light flip flops for showers and relaxing at night.

What would you do? The shoes or Teva sandals?

I walked in Scarpa Treks, a full leather boot with a Vibram sole. I have had the current pair for years, and while they were showing some signs of wear, were well up to the Camino. The Vibram soles are a bit hard on asphalt, and have very little give, but are fine otherwise. I have bought another pair of Scarpa boots for my next pilgrimage. They are the Navigator, which have a more compressible sole, and should be more comfortable on formed roads and tracks.

I wore Teva style sandals around the albergues and around towns in the warmer evenings. These were good, but I have bought a pair of Salomon Techamphibian mesh shoes. These are lighter than the Tevas, and are an enclosed shoe rather than an open sandal.

Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-
Another vote for the Scarpa Treks. I found the first pair I had were brutes of things to break in - it took me 3 months of trying before I could wear them all day in comfort. But after that they were all I could have asked of footwear. I got about 6000 km out of my first pair, and expect the same out of my current lot, which were much easier for my feet to get used to.

Alan

Be brave. Life is joyous.

After quite a bit of internet research, I bought a pair of Montrail GTX mid-height boots. While they performed fine during break-in at home, their soft soles did not provide adequate protection from sharp stones. As a result, I developed severe pain in the soles of my feet.

Fortunately, I was able to replace the problem shoes with an excellent pair of AKU Rock GTX shoes in Sarria. These premium quality shoes are produced by a small Italian company that specializes in outdoor footwear. I've owned quite a few pairs of walking/hiking shoes and boots...the AKU shoes are the best!

I wore my North Face XCR Boa Hiking boots. Not a single blister nor did my feet feel too hot. The boa system meant I didn't have to do up yucky muddy shoelaces. Just had to turn the dial to tighten the laces. I had the driest feet on the wettest day.

€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.
Bare feet for me again this summer. They have always done very well for me on the Camino, all the time, any time and everywhere, and are widely admired. :D No need for alternatives. They weigh nothing, give me no sweat or blisters, knee or back pain, are waterproof and leave no carbon footprint. It gives the Camino a new dimension: texture.

Join our full-service guided tour and let us convert you into a Pampered Pilgrim!
North Face - 'Hedgehogs' - really comfortable. Wore Salomon Aero shoes last year and loved them. Feel like I'm 'cheating' on the old feels but they deserve their retirement.

Hi everyone,
A few days ago I visited REI in Albuquerque for the third time. This time for shoes. I met this unassuming salesperson named Len and he "walked" me through the process of choosing the right shoes for my feet. He counselled me to take as much time as I wanted and try on as many shoes as I wanted. He asked all the right questions (judging from what I've read in this forum). Finally, he said that, at some point, he'd make his own recommendation. That's what happened. He went to the back while I was trying on my selections and brought out a pair of Merrells. He brought over some Smartwool socks for me to try them out with. "Try on as many socks as you want; you don't have to buy them."

I liked the Merrells and he told me to walk around the store as long as I wanted to following the bare cement trail, not the carpet. I bought the Merrells and have worn them dawn to dusk for three days without a problem. Len told me I could train in these shoes and "if they don't work out, just bring them back."

This fine man was part of my Camino and I told him so. Later, when I told my daughter about my shoe buying experience at REI, she smiled. Seems that when she worked at the store during her college years the other salespeople told her REI stands for "Return Every Item."
Giles

I see that lots of people bring crocs despite the fashion faux pas they seem to present.

Question: does anybody bring their well-worn, comfortable birkenstocks along as their evening footwear? They're certainly not stylish, but I'd imagine they're lighter (but I really don't know), and certainly more comfortable than crocs. Or?

cubscorner said:
I see that lots of people bring crocs despite the fashion faux pas they seem to present.

Question: does anybody bring their well-worn, comfortable birkenstocks along as their evening footwear? They're certainly not stylish, but I'd imagine they're lighter (but I really don't know), and certainly more comfortable than crocs. Or?

No, I brought my Crocs ( indeed ugly as hell ) to the Camino for evenings. Although I always wear Birkenstocks here when in house I was happy to bring the Crocs for Camino. Crocs are lighter and more bendable ( sp? ) so more practical for backpack. Also Crocs give more support than Birkenstocks.

My walking shoes are Lowas.
http://www.rei.com/product/796065/lowa- ... ots-womens

Ingles in Sept: Caterpillar Active Alaska leather boots (comfy, but too heavy), Teva Karnali sandals (too big) and Mary Jane Crocs (one pair too many)
Portugues in March: Merrell Moab with Vibram sole (light and comfy) and Mary Jane Crocs (missed walking sandals)
For the Frances this Sept I'm bringing Merrell SIren Sport GTX gore-tex and Vibram trainers and Teva Terra Fi 3 sandals - and I'll probably walk in the sandals every chance I get! I don't dare leave the shoes and go for just sandals and Crocs, even if that's what I would really like to do ... Didn't MermaidLilli walk the Via de la Plata in Tevas?

Update: I did indeed start my Camino Francés in Merrells, but on the (very steep!) path down to Roncevalles I discovered that they were too small (only one size bigger than my usual size) and my toes banged against the toe cap. Changed into my Tevas for the descent and the next couple of days and then left my Merrells at an auberge in Estella - hope someone found a use for them, they were good as new! I then realised Tevas weren't enough - not supportive enough, not comfy enough, not protective enough - and bought a pair of lightweight Salomon XTempo mid boots in Logroño. I absolutely loved them and wore them with vaseline, liner sock and wool sock regardless of the temperature for the rest of the Camino, using the Tevas only after I had arrived, showered and changed. I was against this boot-rule before I went and wanted to use smaller, lighter shoes, but now I wholeheartedly recommend boots. There are places I wouldn't want to be walking in sandals, but then again it is a personal choice. I was happy with mine.

In sum my best advice is: Get shoes that allow you to put a finger between your heel and the shoe, and soles with proper shock absorption! My friend had to stop half way after walking in stone hard Scarpas and ruining her heels, and it was an excruciating experience for her.

I walked the VdP as much as I could in Tevas and will again, but I'll still bring my Merrell hiking shoes as backup... (+ Croc flip flops for the shower)

I will be walking the Camino Portuguese in September. It will be my first camino. The salesperson at REI suggested a pair of Vasque boots with goretex and a vibram sole. Have put over 100 miles on them so far without any problems.

Will be walking the end of September. Have Brooks Adrenaline ASR goretex trail shoes, liner socks and smartwool mid-weight hiking socks. On the http://www.brooksrunning.com site, there's quite a bit of help, I thought, so when going to the store, I felt "more educated" about my pronation, and about sizing (with these socks).

Ultreya!
Kathleen

Kathleen,
In June, I walked in Brooks trail shoes and mid-weight wool socks. I had no problems with blisters at all... Buen Camino! Crane

Re: Birkenstok thongs

Does anybody wear Birkenstok thongs? This is what I always walk in - my 10 - 14 km training walks, but I was wondering whether they were appropriate for the Camino.

I have purchased a pair of Ahnu "Montara" hiking boots. It's a newer company, but the boots make my feet feel like I'm walking on pillows. So far, I've walked as many as 12 miles in them with no problems. The only concern I have is around the ankles because I am really not used to having shoes come up that far. It's less a friction issue and more a pressure thing.
I'm also trying to break in a pair of Chacos. Tevas didn't work for me this summer- they gave me blisters. The Chacos are hard to get used to, but absolutely no blisters yet.

Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-
Salomon etx light hiking boot. I was going to walk with a different brand pair but one week before they seemed to give out on me and made my heel ache. So, despite the fear of a new pair of shoes one week before starting I bought the Salomon ones and never regretted it. No sore feet, only one tiny blister on my first toe, which was gone in a few days. Hurrah for Salomon.

Walking: Keens Newport sandals
Showers: flip-flops

Next time I would bring crocs instead of flipflops as they could be worn in the evenings. This time I just put my Keens back on when we went out. Thankfully they were comfortable.

(BTW, our whole group including 80 year old, two forty-somethings and eight kids from 6years -18years wore various Keens sandals and had no problems with twisted ankles - just a broken arm!)

Hello to all,
Just a quick point. I think this post would be much more useful to newcomers if everyone also added what time of year they walked when posting type of shoes used. It can make a huge difference. For me it will be Keen's boots (wide feet) although I'm aware of the posts about the soles possibly being too thin. I will start walking from Le Puy in early April or late March.
Happy feet to all of you!

The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
I wore L.L.Bean Trail Model Hikers for my Camino and training, about 700 miles in all. They held up well. I think the higher shoe helped keep stones and gravel out of my shoes but do not think ankle support was a help. These shoes are "breathable" very similar to the Merrel Ventilator. They are not waterproof. My feet tend to get sweaty so I went with a breathable shoe thinking it would keep my feet drier in good weather. It did not work out that way . In the city where I did most of my training they were great but on Camino the dust clogged up the "breathing" panels and I was left with a totally enclosed shoe that caused sweat AND was not waterproof. If I had it to do over again I would go with the waterproof shoes.

I did not get blisters. I followed the advice I got here and put on Vaseline, silk socks, then wool socks over themevery day. Worked like a charm.

Only did Ingles and Finisterra last September wearing Lowa Renegades (Gortex upper and Vibram soles). Weather was dry and hot. One blister penultimate day. Trained some 500 miles beforehand (mostly 13 mile with 10K pack). Also a few walks since back. In all I guess around 700 miles with just that one small blister (I put Compeed on straight away). Slight wear on outside of heals, but rest immaculate. I love my babies and always smile when I put them on. :)
allan

Hi,
For walking I use Brasher's Towa GTX ladies model this is a very broad fitting boot with a really spongey sole (great for hard surfaces) to protect heals, good ankle support (which I need) and vibram soles (nice and sticky on slippery rock). I'm on my second pair. My first pair are are still good even after 1500km or so and I continue to use them on shorter tramps however, as my feet do tend to swell on longer walks, I've invested in another pair a half size bigger and these are my 'Pilgrim boots' proper. But ladies be warned pretty they're not-think Frankenstein in Drag!

For the evening and showers in Spring and Autumn I prefer Source sandals 'Steam' ladies model these have light velcro adjustable straps to cope with 'fat feet' and spongey soles to provide 'comfort for the sole' after a days walking. They also come in a range of nice colours to :)
In winter I use the very light version of Crocs as post walking/shower footwear as they provide your foot with a bit more protection from the weather.

The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.
I have Merrell Moab Mid hiking boots- perfect for the Camino. The Merrell hiking shoes are good too but I found hiking shoes did not provide enough ankle support. A lightweight mid rise hiking boot is my vote. Buen Camino!

Will be doing the second half of France's in May. Wife is wearing North Face Hedgehogs gtx and I am wearing Zamberlan Tucanos. I have Zamberlan Tundras, also, and wouldn't wear anything else. Fit like a glove. Not hot spots, no blisters.

Merrell Kahuna trekking sandals ... pigskin (Muslims and Jews beware) with a thin neoprene type inner that allows the foot to move without rubbing on the leather, firm and deep shaped sole with excellent grip ... toes spread out ... lovely ... andddd .. breathe ...... :wink:

Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
As someone talked in here, I use Quechua Forclaz 500 from Decathlon.

They are cheap, but resistant. Water proof and breathable. And offer to me something very important: ankle protection.

For the night or small hiking's, I use a pair of Reebok sandals.

Last august i took some nike trainers...they started to fall apart on the train to the airport...walked from St Jean to Pamplona with them gaffer taped together,in Roncesvalles i got a pair of flip flops for 3 euros.I replaced the Nike with a 20 euro no branded shoe that served me perfectly adequately.Although they never had my correct size the shop assistant said these shoes were nearly my size!
This summer i'm taking a pair of trail running shoes...probably soloman or new balance...with an old pair of asiscs running shoes..my plan is to swap shoes half way each day and keep my feet cool.As a bonus i will not need to spend evenings in the country in flip flops

Scarpa terra gtx ladies boots. Even after walking 500 miles in them, I'm not sure if they really are " the ones" ! They never felt really comfortable, and although I only got a few tiny blisters on my toes, I do wonder if there is a better boot for me out there!

Hiking sandals, for an alternative to the boots. Bought Source sandals in Castrojeriz, good grip, comfortable, really happy with them .

€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.
I have a pair of merrill gtx continuum ankle boots. Have them from last May and they are really comfy!

I bought my hiking boots in Borgos and they are "HiTech"- they will do for two Caminos and are waterproof. I wore them out of the store and had not even one issue with them! I've been trying to replace them, but find that many of the new ones are made in China and have smaller toe boxes and more rough seams on the inside. I also use a pair of Crocs for after hiking. They are rubber so work in the shower and can be worn with socks for about town, keeping any blisters covered and dry. I found that thongs don't protect foot out and about so i've gone to the Crocs. Also they hang on the bag easily and are lightweight. Got those blisters from hiking in a trail shoe that I'd hiked in a thousand times before. Something about the Camino that just needs a hiking boot! Don't start your Camino without a good hiking boot.

€60,-
David said:
Merrell Kahuna trekking sandals ... pigskin (Muslims and Jews beware) with a thin neoprene type inner that allows the foot to move without rubbing on the leather, firm and deep shaped sole with excellent grip ... toes spread out ... lovely ... andddd .. breathe ...... :wink:

LOL :p

SabineP said:
cubscorner said:

No, I brought my Crocs ( indeed ugly as hell ) to the Camino for evenings. Although I always wear Birkenstocks here when in house I was happy to bring the Crocs for Camino. Crocs are lighter and more bendable ( sp? ) so more practical for backpack. Also Crocs give more support than Birkenstocks.

My walking shoes are Lowas.
http://www.rei.com/product/796065/lowa- ... ots-womens

I agree about the Crocs. you don't care about Fashion when hiking the Camino. ONLY comfort esp. at the end of the day. Most of the blisters I saw were caused by anything with gortex. Leather is heavier but so cushy

22131_womens-lowa-vivone-ii-gtx-ws_pn8_detail_01.jpg

I used the Lowa Vivione hiking boots. They were absolutely great, especially since they fit high around your ankle which will prevent you from getting injuried on rocky paths. Also, after a whole camino they still look new, and I'm sure I can use them for some more caminos :wink:

The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
Started in well broken-in hiking boots that got too hot and heavy. Somehow I managed to hurt my ankle just by wearing ankle high boots!
After that I purchased Salomon ortholite in Leon and walked to Santiago. Since then, I got a second pair of Salomons for my next Camino!
Hana

Having started backpacking in the mid 90´s - with absolutely no camping/hiking experience whatsoever, (just a little guidance from my husband), my pack weighed between 35-40 lbs. for the first 8 years; I wore LLBean boots & Vasque boots, and they were definitely appropriate for the weight I was carrying.
Enter my husband into the picture -backpacking had not been his "thing" before! Wow, what a wonderful thing it turned out to be for me, not only does he love to research gear, but he likes to talk to the people that actually make the gear. As a result my pack now weighs anywhere from 16-20 lbs with everything we need to go to the mountains for 10 days.
This being said, my footwear also changed. Not needing the heavy duty boots due to a much lighter pack I tried the Inov-8 Roclite 295 (w/o GTX) and the Inov-8 Roclite 286 w/GTX. Never have had a blister in any of my treks anymore :D and I have since replaced both with the same models. I will use my Roclite 295's for the Camino this May. Love them!
For the shower I followed the advice from someone on this Forum and bought a pair of Ida's Ultra Soles for showering for $12.55 from http://www.packinglight.net

In love with Scarpa. Scarpa Zen at the moment:
Scarpa-Zen-plum.jpg

But yes, finding the perfect shoes is a very personal thing.

After arrival, crocs:
Dames-Aqua-Shayna-_11212_449_ALT110.jpg

Ugly yes, but acceptable compared to the 'real' crocs.

The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.
OK now I am completely baffled. What is all the comments about "acceptable" shoe ware. Acceptable to whom? I don't remember anyone complaining about people in Crocs. :wink:

I am not complainig about the people, I am complaining about the crocs. :p

Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
Luka said:
I am not complainig about the people, I am complaining about the crocs. :p

I understand Luca. I know you aren't talking about the people. Enough said. Was seriously wondering what the problem with Crocs was. :wink: I appreciate your post.

Therese81 said:
Hi all, there are so many threads in regards to footwear, many opinions, many different kinds of footwear. I know a common reply is: "use what works best for your feet" and "the same thing does not work for everyone", while that is true it's nice as a newbie to get some ideas on where to start. My wish is not to start another discussion I was hoping you could list what shoes you wear both during the walk and in the evening and perhaps a comment on why that works for you. Just to put some ideas in a beginners mind :).

Buen Camino to you all! Therese

I wear Vasque boots during the day. I wore these boots for my walk along the Via Francigena from Switzerland to Rome, and for my walk along the jakobsweg in Austria where after approx 1,500 km, the soles of the boots finally gave up.

But I got the same boots re-soled again and walked the camino a second time, then re-soled the same boots once again, and walked the Le Puy route in France.

I finally decided to buy another set of boots last month. I bought another pair of Vasque boots. They fit like a good pair of gloves and I plan to use them on the via de la plata this spring.

http://www.mec.ca/AST/ShopMEC/Footwear/ ... s-mens.jsp

Teva Terra fi 3. I've got a brand new pair (wearing them now, sitting in my kitchen) which I bought on a sale (70% off!). They will replace my old Teva terra fi 2 which I wore on most of vdlp and lots of hikes after that. I easily get overheated and just can't wear boots in the summertime.
I'm bringing a pair of toe socks of wool, if I should get cold. They look rather funny.
And for the shower I'm taking a pair of very light flip flops.

I wear boots, similar to the Lowa pair but a different make. Hi-Tec for previous Caminos but this year will wear Grisport as the new ones are a better fit for me. I have always used the clog type Crocs for showers and after walking, including wandering around town. This year I have bought a very cheap pair of ultra lightweight foldable 'pumps' for smarter evening wear. I'll still take the Crocs as I don't think the little shoes are up to much more than indoor use.

Note:- Grisport do not ship outside of the EU.

Can't find "Grisport" on my hiking boot site. Is there a different name I might try?

Just google Grisport and they come up, I have been training in Northface Verbera Hiker GTX boots which in the winter and cold weather were great but i found my feet over heating when the weather started to warm so i have a new pair of Salomom XA Pro 3D Mid 2 GTX Boots which although early days seem better in warmer weather, Goretex is not for everybody, they say that it is breathable but will still restrict air getting to your feet, If you get hot feet i would advise against a goretex boot/shoe

Dave

I got Keen's Gypsum II miss on sale and I LOVE them! I had to get them a size bigger to have room for swelling. No blisters on my first day wearing them with my socks and liners. There were no hotspots either. I hope that it stays that way.

Bought my shoes yesterday for the VDLP.
As usual, I went to New Balance WR840WB version built on the SL-2 shoe last for my wide foot.
I'm in love...

€149,-
Patagonia Mid P26. Gortex. Reasonably low and light but with good ankle support. Bought them on sale some months ago and have worn them in blister free. I also like the Salomon ortho lite but am walking in April and prefer the Patagonia pair in rain and mud.

I have odd feet - smallish with a high arch, size 7 EE women. Ended up with men's Asolo size 7 W. These worked even with my sausage toes. Used Birkenstock Arizona sandals as these were what I already had. No complaints.

First I used different hiking boots, which gave up after around 1000km, but afterwards I got some of those: http://fave.co/17xOnG1 and walked for another 2500km…

And I still have and walk with them, even though I really should get new ones now :p

€60,-
Tia Valeria said:
I wear boots, similar to the Lowa pair but a different make. Hi-Tec for previous Caminos but this year will wear Grisport as the new ones are a better fit for me. I have always used the clog type Crocs for showers and after walking, including wandering around town. This year I have bought a very cheap pair of ultra lightweight foldable 'pumps' for smarter evening wear. I'll still take the Crocs as I don't think the little shoes are up to much more than indoor use.

Note:- Grisport do not ship outside of the EU.
Well I found the Gri-Sport boots were sweaty and also not as waterproof as Hi-Tec, however apart from that they are very comfy. I have managed to source a new pair of hi-Tec which are a correct fit, ready for next year. The Gri-Sport will be good for single days here at home and cooler weather. The Crocs were good as usual (old pair). The lightweight pumps were not much good and I would not bother with them again. They did stop smelling (well nearly), but have such thin soles that they are only really like slippers. Definitely no good for outside wear and only just OK indoors. However I did wear them a couple of times as I had them with me.

cubscorner said:

Ha Ha, I was thinking exactly the same thing. I wouldn't leave home without my birkenstocks though I always thought them fashionable.

French Army Boots, personally :

rangersmodarmeefrancaise.jpg

(though I keep straps unbuckled about 99% of the time -- the straps are still of great help with any occurrence of sprained ankle and similar, with still a few K to go til the next pueblo)

Join our full-service guided tour and let us convert you into a Pampered Pilgrim!
Cubscorner, while I don't have any Birkenstocks at the moment (find them a worse fashion choice than Crocs!) I remember my B's as being heavier. I have various models of Crocs and they are very, very light. And infinitely more comfortable on my problematic feet.

For walking I wore a pair of very worn in Garmont Red Dragon. It's a stiff soled low top. I backpack for a living and after many years in stiff, high top boots, my feet began to have serious problems including spreading and a collapsing arch. I went to a low top and my foot pain went away. I know you're probably worried about turning an ankle. My experience is that my ankles became much stronger and a stiff sole is the important element. Look for Vibram. It also taught me to walk better and with more intention. My work pack weighs in at about 45#. So my Camino pack was much lighter. I did not feel nearly as exhausted by the end of the day.
For evenings, Crocs are the best. They are ounces compared to a pound or so for Birkies and can be crushed down to nothing. They are also water proof and can be worn in the shower (they are slippery though). The cheap knock off is Wally's or something.
Buen Camino!

longwalker said:
cubscorner said:

Ha Ha, I was thinking exactly the same thing. I wouldn't leave home without my birkenstocks though I always thought them fashionable.

I'm bringing my Keenes as my evening shoes plus some cheap flip flops for the shower. Go for comfort not style! Your feet deserve ot :!:

New Original Camino Gear Designed Especially with The Modern Peregrino In Mind!
I've just re read all the posts. This is a great thread.

For a beginner I'd go with the lightest, water proof, LEATHER hiking boot. If you go in the Spring as I did and through May, you will get wet. I bought Hi Tech the first time in Borgos, Spain and loved them. They were a little big, but by that time I had developed blisters from the gortex trail shoes I'd used for years, hiking in Colorado (withOUT a heavy pack) so the extra room and padded socks felt divine!

The next time I hiked in October. Not as wet, but I prefer the Spring. I read these posts and purchased the Zamberlan Gortex with Vibram sole. I need a roomy toe box, otherwise my foot is very average. I normally wear a 7 1/2 and these are a EUR 40/USA WMNS 8. I tried on many brands, but wanted a hand made shoe. That meant Italy or Germany. I found that the Italian shoes ran smaller than the ones made in Germany (marked same size) and the Zamberlan are made in Italy. Also I noted while trying shoes that a Euro sz can be marked 38 and fit like a 40 made in another country. :( I love Zappos as I can order several pair and return for free the ones that don't work. I love the reviews on Zappos.

Beautiful quality.

I have Keen Targhee 2 mid boots and think that they are great. I had to see a podiatrist recently and he gave them a huge tick of approval. They are nice and wide, light and super comfortable. I am planning on taking a pair of Crocs mary-janes for evenings (going this September). :)

€60,-
I was once told by the shoe department at Nordstroms that my feet woul fit better in the shoe box... Using a Brannock I measure out to a women's 6.25, EE width, high arch, high wide instep and a pretty normal heel width. Found Keen sandals 6-7 years ago and now I finally have comfy feet!

I'll either be wearing Keen Targee II mids (850 g) or my Keen Verdi's (708 g). Both recently outfitted with Superfeet Greens rather than my usual gel inserts. For evening wear I'll probably pack my Croc Cleo II's (104 g). The Targee's have been hiked in in all sorts of conditions. The Verdi's probably have 150k on them now mostly on road and our local dusty desert/high steppe trails. Finally had the opportunity to do a wet 16k hike last weekend on slimy wet clay over basalt and I think the sole could benefit from siping.

I bought a pair of nice (and pretty expensive) Scarpa boots (and sandals to wear at night)... they were fantastic over the Pyrenees but once I got to the Meseta I was crippled with blisters. I tried walking some days with the sandals but that didn't really work for me.

I ended up buying a pair of runners so I could alternate with the boots.

This year when I return I will only take the boots AND the runners... alternating between them depending on the conditions of the day (boots for heavier days, ascents/descents... and the runners could be my nightime shoe or when there is a lot of city walking, they are much softer and they allow much more air to run through the foot).

Salomon GTX Tige Haute for the last camino..
And before Salomon X ADV7 tige haute (1999) ... More than 1000 Kms without a blister !!!!
There are "Roll's Royce Shoes" :D

For the last 2 years I have been walking from Ponferrada to Santiago barefoot. I take a pair of Zem Gear minimalist shoes with me for the days when there is just too many large chunks of gravel on the path. At least I don't get blisters. :)
Barefoot Sue

I tried on every light hiking shoe available in Reykjavík in search for the perfect shoes. I ended up buying Salomon X ULTRA MID GTX® W
309075-X-Ultra-Mid-GTX-W-v%C3%ADnrau%C3%B0ur-Hiking_Hiking-300x218.jpg

I've been using them now for 3 months and they are great. They are very light only 450 g each compared to 900 g each of my Scarpa hiking boots.

Lowa Renegades, used them with smartwool socks and liners. Also changed the factory inner sole to much better Sole inner soles and had no blisters. Loved the ankle support especially on the downhill treks. Used them on the Camino Frances last Oct. and will use them again this spring. Loved them and highly recommend them. Used Keen water proof sandles for the showers, alberques and about town and they worked well.

€46,-
Vasquee Breeze 2.0 vibram hiking boots...tough break in but once I broke them in (2nd week of SJPP to Santiago April/ May 2013) they are my best friend. I just ordered a pair of Asolo to try. Flip flops (rainbows or reefs) at night and in the shower. Brought crocs but they were a croc of..hated them except for shower shoes.
Try on a few and one will be singing your name.. charlene

I just finished the Camino del Norte on June 10th using my Inov-8 Roclite 295 (w/o GTX). Never had a blister on this trek and I will confidently use the the same model when I walk the Camino Sanabrés next year! Love them!

Most read last week in this forum

70+ year old, 5 ft. tall, 110 lb. female hiking the full Northern Route (del Norte). My goal is to carry no more than 12 pounds/5.44 kg. Ideally, I'd like to carry less. I'm planning to use a...
Has anyone tried wearing sun sleeves? Seems they might be good for protection from the sun while also perhaps forgoing the need for a long-sleeve shirt? My concern is whether or not the fit is...
Sorry if this seems trivial, but I leave in 26 days for my first Camino (Frances). I’m finalizing my backpack items figuring what makes the honored Final Cut. Question: I was gonna bring a...
I usually wear Motion Control, but thought I might try something new this year. What are YOUR favorites, and why?
Does anyone have any experience with getting a custom rain cover for an Osprey pack? After 4 different caminos I am now grappling with using my rain suit which I prefer vs a poncho because my...
I walked the Camino Portuguese in September 2023 and loved the experience. I'm looking forward to my next Camino sometime in 2025. Although I didn't need a blanket on the Portuguese, I'm...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.